Home » Posts tagged 'JEE Main Reservation Criteria'
Tag Archives: JEE Main Reservation Criteria
Last updated on August 18th, 2021
Some seats at all the engineering colleges are reserved for the candidates belonging to Scheduled Caste (SC), Scheduled Tribe (ST), OBC-NCL, Women Candidates, and Person with Disability. JEE Main reservation criteria 2021 specifies the percentage of reserved seats. The first session of JEE Main 2021 will be conducted from 23 February to 26 February 2021. Check JEE Main Exam dates here
- The reservation of the seats through JEE Main will be granted based on the State of Eligibility, from where the candidate has appeared for the qualifying exam.
- Moreover, the JEE Main 2021 Reservation parameters are based on those directed by Home State and Other State Quota in terms of admissions granted by the universities.
NTA has finally released the JEE Main Exam Dates for April and May sessions, which were postponed earlier. Session 3 (April) is scheduled from 20 to 25 July, while Session 4 (May) is scheduled from 27 July to 2 August 2021. Candidates can apply for both the sessions or either of them through JEE Main Application Form. There is no gap between the two sessions.
- NTA has increased the number of JEE Main attempts from 2 to 4 times a year.
- JEE Main 2021 will be conducted in 4 sessions in February, March, April and May.
The detailed JEE Main Reservation criteria 2021 for each of the categories are mentioned below which will help the students belonging to the reserved category.
What is the JEE Main Reservation Criteria – Facts
The detailed JEE Main reservation criteria is described below:
- Colleges reserve 5% of the overall seats for Persons with Disabilities (PwD) as mentioned in The Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act, 2016 (RPwD Act 2016).
- Telangana offers three different state quotas including Home State Quota, Other State Quota, and Andhra Pradesh State Quota.
- 5% of total seats are reserved for female candidates in all institutes that are taking part in the seat allocation process through JEE Main.
- In NITs, half seats are reserved under Home State Quota and the rest 50% under Other State Quota.
- Vacant Home State Quota seats are converted to All India Seats for the mentioned category.
The candidates who are applying for JEE Main 2021 under JEE Main reservation criteria will be offered some advantages which include age-limit relaxation, qualifying scores, seat allocation, entrance exam score, etc as compared to the candidates belonging to the non-reserved category. Also, the candidates are offered concessions in the application fees at the time of filling the application form.
Note: The candidates who want to register for the JEE Main exam under the reserved category need to submit valid documents as proof of their reservation.
JEE Main Reservation Criteria 2021 – Eligible Categories
|Person with Disabilities||5%|
|Economically Weaker Section||10%|
JEE Main Reservation Criteria 2021 – Key Highlights
- The JEE Main 2021 reservation criteria will follow the eligibility and reservation rules which are laid down by the Government of India.
- Admissions to the reserved seats in NITs, IITs, and GFTIs is only for those candidates belonging to the reserved categories.
- The candidates applying for admissions in state engineering colleges that accept JEE Main 2021 scores will be given reservation based on the reservation criteria set by the state government.
JEE Main Reservation Criteria for Women Candidates
- The female candidates can apply under the All India Level or Women Quota System as the majority of the colleges have reserved 5% seats for female candidates.
- There are few colleges that offer some relaxation in terms of the percentage of marks as well. For instance-, if the cut off of any particular college is almost 95% then the girls with 90% can apply for the same seat.
JEE Main Reservation Criteria for Persons with Benchmark Disabilities (PwD)
- For candidates belonging to the PwD category, there is a relaxation of an additional 3%.
- Specified Disability means disabilities which are exactly the same mentioned in the Schedule of the RPwD Act 2016.
- Different categories of reservation for physically handicapped in JEE Mains disabilities include:
- Blindness and low vision
- Deaf and hard of hearing
- Locomotor disability includes cerebral palsy, dwarfism, acid attack victims, etc.
- Intellectual disability, any learning disability, mental illness, etc
- Many disabilities from amongst persons
- Other ‘specified disabilities’ mentioned in the Schedule of the RPwD Act 2016.
JEE Main EWS Quota 2021
- The move was passed under the 124th Amendment Bill in the Constitution of India that was declared in the parliament during the January session.
- According to the move, candidates belonging to the EWS category will be granted a 10% reservation in jobs and education.
Who is included in the EWS Category?
All candidates who are not covered under SC, ST, OBC, and who have an annual income below 8 lakhs are identified under the EWS system.
- Candidates must procure an Income and Asset Certification issued by a Competent Authority.
- However, candidates falling under the following category won’t be able to avail the EWS quota:
- Those whose families own at least 5 acres of agricultural land or above
- Who owns a residential flat of 1,000 ft and above
- Whose parents possess residential plots of approximately 100 sq.yards and above by the notified municipalities.
- Aspirants whose parents own a residential plot of approximately 200 sq. yards and above other than the notified municipalities.
Who can Issue an Income and Asset Certificate for EWS Candidates?
Candidates can procure an Income and Asset Certificate from the following authorities:
- Deputy Commissioner/ District Magistrate/ Additional District Magistrate/ Additional Deputy Commissioner/ 1st Class Stipendiary Magistrate/ Sub Divisional Magistrate/ Extra Assistant Commissioner/ Taluka Magistrate/ Executive Magistrate
- Revenue Officer who is not below the rank of Tehsildar
- Presidency Magistrate/ Chief Presidency Magistrate/ Additional Chief Presidency Magistrate
- Sub Divisional Officer or the area where the candidate or his family resides.
Latest JEE Main News
- Predict College or Courses Using Your JEE Main Rank
- JEE Main 2021 Result for Phase 4 Released, 18 Students Secured AIR 1
- JEE Advanced 2021 Registration Starts from September 15. Register Here
- JEE Advanced 2021: New Guidelines Released, Qualified Candidates Of Last Year Can Appear Without JEE Main 2021
JEE Main Reservation Criteria for NITs and IITs
Since the JEE Main Reservation criteria vary from institution to institution, so the candidates should check the JEE Main reservation system criteria for the institute in which he/she is applying:
- IITs: All Indian Institute of Technology’s colleges offer admissions under the All India Quota basis.
- NITs: The National Institute of Technology or NITs grant admissions to eligible students based on the State Quota and Other State Quota basis.
- As per the admission process, 50% of seats are reserved for the candidates who are eligible for home state quota.
- The remaining 50% seats are for other state candidates.
- Home State Quota– Under the Home State Quota eligibility, the reservation for the candidates will be for the students who have passed class 12 from the state where the NIT is.
- Other State Quota: The candidates belonging to any other state apart from the state where the particular NIT is, can claim their reservation under this Quota.
|Name of the institutes||Reservation criteria|
|NIT (Other State Quota)||Half of the seats are for the candidates who belong to all other states and Union Territories excluding Home State.|
|NIT (Other State Quota)||50%|
|Centre/State Funded Technical Institutes||According to Home state Quota eligibility/ State Quota/ All India Quota|
|Government Funded Technical Institutes||According to All India Quota|
|State Engineering Colleges||According to State Quota|
Documents Required for Claiming JEE Main Reservation 2021
The candidates need to provide the following documents to claim reservation as per the JEE Main 2021 reservation criteria:
- Duly signed category certificate by the competent authority in a prescribed format will be considered.
- The PwD candidates must have a disability certificate to apply under JEE Main Reservation.
How to Claim a Reservation?
The candidates who belong to the reserved categories must follow the below-mentioned steps to claim reservation as per the JEE Main 2021 reservation criteria:
- The candidates must mention the category and fill it accurately in the JEE Main 2021 Application Form.
- They must show the relevant and valid certificates for verification at the time of JEE Main Counselling.
- Candidates failing to provide the required documents will not be given the privilege of reserved category. They will come under the unreserved category only.
What are the Clauses for Claiming the Reservation?
- To claim the reserved seats, proper documents needed to be submitted at the time of admission.
- Only those candidates will come under the reservation category whose documents have been issued from proper authorities and are in the mentioned format.
- As soon as the JEE Main Result is announced, the list of the candidates under the JEE Main will also be notified.
JEE Main Reservation of Seats remains almost the same each year. This remains until and unless no major changes are introduced under the government reservation policies. The candidates will be notified in case of any changes in the reservation policies.
JEE Main 2021 Reservation FAQs
Last updated on December 22nd, 2020
Ans: Candidates must produce the following documents which are as follows:
- Disability Certificate for PwD candidates
- Domicile Certificate for Home state category candidates
- Caste Certificate issued by a competent authority in the prescribed format.
Last updated on December 22nd, 2020
Ans: The benefit of the JEE Main 2021 Reservation to seek admission to IITs/ NITs and CFTIs shall be rendered to only those tribes/ class/ caste who are enlisted under the prescribed list by GOI. Whereas, for candidates seeking admission in the respective states must adhere to the state policies. No documents like letters/ emails/ RTI cases/ court cases/ grievances regarding reservation criteria will be entertained by the JEE Main Secretariat/ NTA admission process.
Last updated on September 10th, 2020
Ans: No, as per the guidelines prescribed under GOI, only candidates belonging to SC, ST, OBC, and PwD categories will be admitted to seats reserved for the relaxed criteria.
Last updated on December 22nd, 2020
Ans: Candidates must score a minimum percentile of 75% for GC and 65% marks for reserved categories in Class 12 board to get admission to IITs, NITs, and CFTIs.