Home » Posts tagged 'IIT Ropar'
Tag Archives: IIT Ropar
Last updated on September 2nd, 2020 at 10:49 am
Indian Institute of Technology, Ropar or IIT Ropar is an institute of higher education for engineering, located in Rupnagar, Punjab. IITs have been dispersed all over India, with many new institutes coming in existence – and IIT Ropar is one of the eight newer IITs that were established by Ministry of Human Resource Development, i.e. MHRD. This college, along with the other seven institutes were established by the Government of India under the Institutes of Technology (Amendment) Act, 2011, to further the reach of technical education in India, along with improving the quality of the same. The National Institutional Ranking Framework, i.e. NIRF, ranked the institute 25th, among the engineering colleges in India, in the year 2020.
- IIT Ropar came into existence in 2008, but the classes for that academic year were conducted in IIT Delhi. The transit campus in Rupnagar started functioning in 2009.
- There are, currently, two campuses of the institute, permanent and transit. The permanent campus was facilitated in June 2019 and is beautifully inspired from Indus Valley Civilization with tall standing pillars.
- The permanent campus is spread over an area of 525 acres. As for the transit campus, there are two – Transit Campus I is former Women’s Polytechnic, Rupnagar, which was then renovated to inculcate all the requirements of the Institute. The Transit Campus II is NIELIT Ropar campus.
- Transit Campus I is equipped with four hostels, post office, a branch of SBI and consists of the central library of the institute.
- Transit Campus II has three hostels, three faculty residences along with a vast academic area.
- Admissions to B.Tech course of IIT Ropar are conducted through joint counselling of IITs. Students are eligible for IIT Ropar only after qualifying JEE Advanced exam.
IIT Ropar: Highlights
|Also Known As||IIT-RPR, IIT Rupnagar|
|Accepted Exams||JEE Advanced, IIT-JAM|
|Popular Courses||B.Tech, M.Tech, PhD, M.Sc|
|Total Courses||26 courses across 3 streams|
|B.Tech Specialisations||8 Specialisations|
IIT Ropar: Admissions via JEE Advanced
IIT Ropar boasts of having 10 departments as well as 1 disciplinary centre. All of the undergraduate programs, therefore, offer the degree of Bachelor of Technology, in a variety of engineering areas and departments. It also offers postgraduate degrees – M.Tech and MSc (Research) in a variety of given fields, not to forget, MSc in basic sciences. PhD courses are also offered here.
The main thing to notice and remember is that the institute has the rule that every admission for any of these programs would be facilitated through JEE Advanced only.
Eligibility for B.Tech Courses at IIT Ropar
The admissions to IIT Ropar B.Tech Programs have certain eligibility criteria as given below–
- Students are required to have secured at least 75% aggregate in Class 12th boards, and 65%, if they are SC, ST and PwD candidates. (Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics are essential subjects to be taken during the board examination).
Students are required to have category-wise top 20 percentile in their Class 12th board examination (Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics are essential subjects to be taken during the board examination).
- With this, students must have qualified JEE Advanced for both the admissions, for B.Tech as well as for B.Tech + M.Tech (Dual Degree Courses)
Admission Process via JEE Advanced Counselling
- Students first qualify JEE Main, scoring under top 2.5 lac candidates, to be eligible for JEE Advanced.
- JEE Advanced is conducted and those clearing the minimum aggregate cut off and sectional cut off are qualified. These students are ranked under All India Ranks of JEE Advanced.
- The B.Tech Admissions at IIT Ropar depends on 12th board aggregate and JEE Main and JEE Advanced Result– based on which the rank list (All India Rank) is prepared.
- Candidates are supposed to register for JoSAA Counselling (joint counselling for IITs, NITs and other engineering colleges), where counselling is conducted for those candidates who have qualified both JEE Main & JEE Advanced. However, only JEE Advanced qualified candidates can apply for IITs.
- Cut-off for admissions to different courses or specializations differ greatly. And admissions will be given accordingly. Female candidates are allowed relaxation up to 10 Percentile, no matter what kind of category they belong to.
B. Tech Course Offered at IIT Ropar
Given below are B.Tech Courses at IIT Ropar via JEE Advanced-
- B.Tech in Chemical Engineering
- B.Tech in Civil Engineering
- B.Tech in Computer Science and Engineering
- B.Tech in Mathematics and Computing
- B.Tech in Electrical Engineering
- B.Tech in Metallurgical and Materials Engineering
- B.Tech in Mechanical Engineering
- B.Tech + M.Tech in Mechanical Engineering
IIT Ropar 2019 B.Tech Cut Offs For Top Courses
Applicants who have appeared for JEE Advanced are urged to always check the cut-off if they are eager and keen on getting admission at IIT Ropar. The cut off is in the form of opening and closing ranks, showing the ranks of first and last seat allotted to a particular candidate. Mostly, closing ranks are from the last round i.e. 7th round of JoSAA Counselling.
|Top Courses||Closing Ranks for Male||Closing Rank for Female|
|Computer Science and Engineering||2049||4418|
|Mathematics and Computing||3293||5262|
The Joint Seat Allocation Authority (JoSAA) is the one who releases the cutoff of JEE Advanced for IIT Ropar. This exam is an important one for IIT Ropar, as it is the one that acts as a landmark for the screening process when it comes to the admission. Students are supposed to look out for their grades, while the authorities are supposed to check the availability of seats, the trends of the last years’ cutoffs, how difficult the entrance exam was and the number of students who wish to join the college. All these factors go into selecting the students who will get into the prestigious IIT Ropar.
Why Study at IIT Ropar During COVID-19?
There are various reasons why IIT Ropar will be suitable for students even after the education sector and the whole industry it caters to, is vastly hit because of the COVID-19 pandemic. Let us look at some developments that IIT Ropar has made since the COVID-19 pandemic halted all educational activities.
- Focus on Research and Development:Amid the COVID-19 pandemic, IIT Ropar has focused its research on various strategies that can help healthcare workers and other individuals to be safe from coronavirus. The college has been able to develop low cost ventilators and PPE Kit sterilization units in order to ensure that healthcare workers do not get in contact from infected PPE Kits.
- Online Resources for teaching: The college has already notified students of using online resources for lectures. Various study materials will be available on Google Drive and will be shared with students. Regular classes will begin for existing students around mid-August 2020. However, it might change due to govt orders.
- SOP for Campus Movement: This is something very important as it controls the risk of spread of COVID-19 at the campus of IIT Ropar. Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) has been developed for staff, faculty and students residing at the campus. Proper social distancing has to be maintained and regular checks are done for possible symptoms.
When and Why Should You Choose IIT Ropar?
Let us first answer when should you choose IIT Ropar.
Considering the top engineering colleges of India as per NIRF Rankings 2020, IIT Ropar stands at 25th rank. The ranking is based on various factors other than just high CTCs that students bag from the colleges.
- The college is a close competition to top-tier NITs and much above the level of newer NITs that were set up recently.
- IIT Ropar only takes admissions based on JEE Advanced Ranks. This means the cut off ranks / closing ranks given below will be based on your JEE Advanced scores. You must qualify JEE Main first, and then score a suitable rank at JEE Advanced to get this college.
- However, the cut offs are pretty high compared to other IITs which makes this college easier to get.
- So, in all, when you feel your rank is good but will not qualify for top-tier IITs, prefer choosing this college. The faculty is great, the location is suitable and the two main industrial cities – Chandigarh and Delhi – are pretty close.
Let us try to figure out why IIT Ropar is a good choice.
As mentioned above, the college has a great location, great faculty, above average placements, a great head start to your engineering career and not to mention, a great campus.
- Scholarships To Fund Education: IIT Ropar has multiple scholarships for outperforming students. Elsewise, all IITs offer scholarships to SC/ST categories and economically weaker sections. The tuition fees will be relaxed and there are options to reimburse the hostel and mess charges as well.
- Great Placements: IIT Ropar has not been in top league engineering colleges as students were not able to bag offers of more than INR 18 LPA. But the median salary of a student placed from IIT Ropar is above INR 14 LPA. This signifies that more than 50% of the batch was placed at a CTC above INR 14 LPA.
- Sports Facilities: IIT Ropar is combined of three campuses, main campus, and two other campuses leased from other colleges. The campus has a large football ground, cricket field, tennis courts, badminton courts and many more. Aarohan is one of the main sporting events conducted by IIT Ropar.
- Beautiful Campus: The new campus has been designed very beautifully with 41 feet high stone carved pillars right at the entrance of the college. These stone pillars are inspired from Indus valley civilization. The hostels are named after planets of the solar system to add a fun element.
IIT Ropar: JEE Advanced 2019 Cut Off (Closing Ranks)
Computer Science and Engineering
Mathematics and Computing
Metallurgical and Materials Engineering
Mechanical Engineering (5 years)
Latest News Updates
- JEE Main 2020 Admit Card Released on Jeemain.nic.in. Download Now
- JEE Main 2020 Day 1: Check Exam Updates and JEE Main Paper Analysis
- Registrations For JoSAA Counselling To Begin From 6th October
- Check JEE Main Participating Colleges
- JEE Advanced 2020: Revised Schedule Released, Registration Starts from 11 September
Reservation at IIT Ropar via JEE Advanced
IIT Ropar being a public institution run by the Govt of India, provides reservation as per the norms set up by the central government. Given below is the category and reservation percentage.
|EWS (all categories)||10%|
|PWD (40% or more disability)||3%|
The EWS category was introduced in 2019 with a new law created by the government to provide reservations to certain economically backward categories on the basis of income criteria. The EWS reservation can be availed even by general category students, provided they fulfil the criteria as laid down by the government.
Faculty at IIT Ropar
The vast faculty at IIT Ropar is skilled and versatile, having proper knowledge of the subject and the teaching style students would respond to. While one can’t somehow list all of the faculty members that IIT Ropar has, students can be assured of the quality education and professional but friendly atmosphere of the college.
- As per the official website, almost 100% of the faculty members at IIT Ropar have an experience of 20 to 35 years in teaching and industry. More than 70% members of the faculty are awarded with PhDs from top notch universities – both domestic and abroad.
- The faculty at IIT Ropar is part of important research at the college. Many projects are able to receive grants as high as INR 50 lacs from the institute. This also engages practical learning opportunities for both the faculty members and students.
Facilities Provided by IIT Ropar
There are tons of facilities available for students at IIT Ropar. Given below are a few of them-
- Library – The college has a full fledged library for students. The online resources are also available for students of IIT Ropar and students can search and download free e-books for learning at the comfort of their homes. The physical library also provides photocopying and printing services at a minimal charge.
- Medical Center – The college has a 24×7 medical center to provide urgent healthcare facilities. IIT Ropar has also set up a medical committee to ensure that the mental health of students and other individuals is taken care of amid the COVID-19 pandemic and nationwide lockdown.
- Hostel – IIT Ropar has separate boys and girls hostel. The hostels at campus are named after planets of the solar system – Jupiter, Mercury, Neptune and Venus. Mess facilities at the hostels have representatives from the student batches who take care of the standards of food and cleanliness.
- NKN Integrated Classrooms – National Knowledge Network set up by the government to connect top national universities for country-wide virtual classroom networks is integrated with IIT Ropar as well. There are two classrooms at IIT Ropar with virtual teaching capability.
Placement Report of IIT Ropar
The placement cell of IIT Ropar is called Career Development and Corporate Relations Centre (CDCRC). It prepares students for the standard required in various industries and also shapes them for the interviews conducted by many top recruiters at IIT Ropar. Some of the top recruiters at IIT Ropar are – Facebook, Cognizant, Flipkart, ONGC, Zomato.
- Placements at IIT Ropar have been great with average CTC for 2019 batch reaching a high of INR 14.56 LPA. The highest CTC bagged by the 2019 batch was INR 17.45 LPA.
- CSE branch had maximum placements with 91% students placed. Meanwhile, 100% of the students had received PPOs but few had decided to study further.
- Many PSUs such as ISRO, DRDO, Indian Navy, Hindustan Petroleum etc also recruited a large number of students from IIT Ropar.
Fee Structure for B.Tech at IIT Ropar
The fees of IIT Ropar are well within reasonable constraints, as you can find out below. The fees are divided into two structures – that of the institute itself and the hostel fee. IIT Ropar demands a caution fee from the students, which is just one time and refundable as well.
- The tuition fee per semester is INR 1 Lac
- One-time fees and other fees (per semester) is INR 3000/- and INR 6,650/- respectively.
All of the fee structure and the total expense a student will have to spend is tabulated and depicted right down below–
Institute Fee (General Category)
|Caution Money (One Time, Refundable)||₹4,000|
|One Time Fees (During Admission)||₹3,000|
|Tuition Fee (per Semester)||₹1,00,000|
|Other fees (per Semester)||₹6,650|
The fee given above was for general category only. After fee waivers (given below), the total fee/semester for other category students goes very low. The fee for other categories is mentioned below in the table-
|Category||Total Fees (INR)|
|1st Semester||2nd to 8th Semester|
|Gen/OBC (Income b/w 1 lac to 5 lac)||46,984/-||39,484|
|Gen/OBC (Income below or equal to 1 lac)||13,650/-||6,150|
|Mess Caution Money (One Time, Refundable)||₹6,000|
|One Time Fees (During Admission)||₹5,000|
|Mess Advance / semester||₹17,000|
|Note: Hostel charges of ₹20,000 (tentative) extra|
In some of the rare cases, there will be fee waivers for the students.
- There will be a 100% tuition fee waiver, for students belonging to the SC, ST and PwD categories.
- As for General and OBC students with the annual family income of less than Rs, 1 lakh, there will be full remission of the tuition fees.
- For the students belonging to the general and OBC categories – with the family income being between Rs. 1 lakh and Rs. 5 lakh per annum – remission of 2/3rd of the tuition fee is allowed.
- Students from the above categories can also get financial assistance in regards to hostel and mess charges if they avail the scholarships provided by IIT Ropar.
Scholarships at IIT Ropar
There are eight main scholarships provided by IIT Ropar that students can avail –
- Institute Merit-cum-Means (MCM) Scholarships – For a maximum of 25% students. The scholarship amount of INR 1,000/month along with exemption from paying the tuition fee.
- Institute Merit Prizes and Certificates – For top 7% of B.Tech students of 1st and 2nd Semester. Merit prize of INR 2500. This will be in addition to the scholarships availed by the students and is not counted as another scholarship. Hence, all students are eligible for merit prizes.
- Institute Free Studentship – For students unable to avail MCM scholarship. This one is based on ‘Means’ alone. This means there is no merit criteria.
- Scholarship provision for Students of SC/ST Category – All SC/ST students are exempt from paying tuition fee even if they do not claim the MCM scholarship. Under this provision, the institute provides INR 300/month and exemption from paying hostel rent to SC/ST students. Else, students can avail free mess facility and INR 250/month pocket allowance.
- Post-Matric Scholarship
- Top Class Education Scholarship for SC/ST students
- Other Scholarships
- Scholarship for B.Tech. – M.Tech. Dual Degree
IIT Ropar is one prestigious institute, as you must have gathered by now. Some of the alumni of the institute include Sri Ram Pemmasani, Aayush Bahuguna, Shlok Chaurasia, Arpit Jain and many more – who have chosen to shine in their fields and have done so successfully. IIT Ropar students will claim how an institute is a sacred place where the education and learning are synonymous words here; where cultural activities are conducted and celebrated all year round; and lastly, where it is guaranteed that the students’ will find a way to develop themselves and grow as the smart, hardworking and dedicated individuals they wanted to be.
FAQs on IIT Ropar
Ans. There are minor differences between IIT Ropar and IIT Mandi. IIT Mandi has one of the best IIT campuses situated amid the Himalayan Mountains. However, it is difficult to reach IIT Mandi. On the other hand, IIT Ropar has a creative campus themed on Indus valley civilization. Ranking wise, IIT Ropar is ranked 25th in NIRF 2020 against 31st rank of IIT Mandi.
Ans. IIT Ropar was sharing a campus with IIT Delhi initially but now has its own permanent campus. Currently, it does share campus with Women’s Polytechnic and NIELIT Ropar.
Ans. IIT Ropar (Rupnagar) Main campus is situated 6-7 km away from railway station or bus stand. Rupnagar is 60 km away from Chandigarh which is almost 2 hours journey from Chandigarh airport via taxi. Trains run from Delhi to Rupnagar with almost 6 hour travel duration.
Ans. The total fees for B.Tech at IIT Ropar is INR 1,06,650/semester. Overall, the 4-year total would be around INR 8.6 lacs. However, tuition fee, hostel charges and mess charges are fully or partially reimbursed for students belonging to SC/ST/PwD and EWS category and for those availing scholarships from IIT Ropar.