Home » Posts tagged 'IIT Mandi'
Tag Archives: IIT Mandi
Last updated on August 6th, 2020 at 05:48 pm
The Indian Institute of Technology, Mandi is an autonomous engineering and technology university located in Mandi, Himachal Pradesh. IIT Mandi is a part of IITs and is one of the recently established institutes. IIT Mandi is ranked at the 31st position in engineering as per NIRF ranking for the year 2020. In the Outreach and Inclusivity metric of NIRF, IIT Mandi is at the 1st position amongst all 23 Indian Institutes of Technology (IIT). Numerous UG, PG and research programs under engineering and science streams are offered at IIT Mandi. It is one of the top engineering institutes in India, situated in the Himachal Pradesh in the middle of Kamand valley and lush, green mountains.
- IIT Mandi is located in the Shivalik Range of the Himalayas, far away from the hustle-bustle of daily lives.
- Since its establishment in 2009, IIT Mandi has achieved great success. Within a shorter span, the institute has developed a fully residential campus offering world-class academic and research facilities.
- IIT Mandi Catalyst, which is an independent technology business incubator was developed by an ex-student. The first startup by an ex-student of IIT Mandi launched IITians Tech on 1st August 2014.
- IIT Mandi placements in 2020 witnessed a significant increase in the overall placements with highest placement reaching INR 40 LPA.
Final selection will be based on JEE Advanced Rank and Cut Off. The college counselling is conducted in joint manner for all IITs through JoSAA Counselling.
IIT Mandi: Highlights
|Type of Institution||Public, Autonomous|
|Type of Programs||B.E. / B.Tech , M.E./M.Tech|
|Admission Criteria||JEE Main, JEE Advanced + 12th Marks|
|Mode of education||Regular, Part-time|
IIT Mandi: B.Tech Admissions Through JEE Advanced
IIT Mandi is a newly set up young IIT. The number of B.Tech courses offered by IIT Mandi are limited but have a great scope for students in their career. Various Specializations offered in IIT Mandi UG programs are mentioned below:
- Bachelor of Technology in Civil Engineering
- Bachelor of Technology in Electrical Engineering
- Bachelor of Technology in Computer Science and Engineering
- Bachelor of Technology in Mechanical Engineering
- Bachelor of Technology in Data Science and Engineering
- Bachelor of Technology in Engineering Physics
- B.Tech + M.Tech Integrated Dual Degree in Bioengineering
IIT Mandi: Admission Process for B.Tech via JEE Advanced 2020
IIT Mandi B.Tech admission generally starts from September with JEE Main registrations. Admission to the B.Tech course is given based on the aspirants’ JEE Advanced rank, after which they need to appear for JoSAA counseling. To get admission to UG programs, the candidates meeting the eligibility criteria of JEE Advanced will be called.
Eligibility Criteria for B.Tech at IIT Mandi Through JEE Advanced
- The candidate needs to obtain a minimum 75% aggregate (SC/ST category can apply even if they get 65% marks) in Class 12 from a recognized board of education.
- Candidates whose name are amongst the top 20 percentile in Class 12 are qualified to apply.
- Candidates performance in JEE Main will be noted, admissions are granted based on the score in JEE Advanced followed by Centralized Counselling conducted by JoSAA.
IIT Mandi: B.Tech Selection Process
- The selection of the students for B.Tech courses at IIT Mandi will be given based on their marks secured in JEE Advanced.
- Post taking the exam, the counselling process will be initiated, which is managed and regulated by the Joint Seat Allocation Authority (JoSAA).
- The shortlisted candidates later are allotted seats through different rounds of JoSAA counseling and the allocation of the seat will be done based on the college/university cutoff and candidates’ preference of courses and colleges.
- The registration and choice filling of JoSAA Counselling mostly begins online in mid of June. However, it has been delayed due to COVID-19 pandemic
JEE Advanced Cut Offs for Top Courses at IIT Mandi
IIT Mandi offers a total of six B.Tech courses (given above) in addition to offering a dual course of B.Tech + M.Tech. The entire admissions procedure is taken care of by JoSAA (Joint Seat Allocation Authority). The cut off is mentioned in the form of opening and closing ranks which will be further subdivided into gender-wise cut-offs and category-wise cut off. IIT Mandi JEE Advanced Cut Offs of 2019 for some of the popular courses are mentioned below.
Seven rounds of closing ranks were announced in JEE Advanced Counselling. The below presented tabular data shows the JEE Advanced Cut Off / Closing Ranks in 2019 and 2018 for the a few popular courses of IIT Mandi-
|Courses||2019 Closing Rank||2018 Closing Rank|
|Computer Science and Engineering||2693||2715|
IIT Mandi: JEE Advanced 2019 Cut Off For B.Tech Courses
The JEE Advanced Cut Off for various B.Tech specializations at IIT Mandi is given below. We have provided the cut offs for both Gender-Neutral and Female only seats for all the categories based on rank lists of all the various categories. The cut offs are closing ranks of Round 7 Counselling which means the rank of a student allotted the last seat.
Computer Science and Engineering
Data Science and Engineering
What Factors Can Affect JEE Advanced Cut Off at IIT Mandi?
Influencing factors that help decide JEE Advanced 2020 Cut Off for IIT Mandi include:
- Previous year’s cutoff trends
- Total candidates applied for the exam
- Total seats available at IIT Mandi
- The difficulty level of JEE Advanced 2020
- Different category of candidates
JEE Advanced 2019 Qualifying Marks / Percentage for IIT Mandi
|Category||Minimum Marks in Each Section (%)||Minimum Aggregate Marks (%)|
|Common rank list (CRL)||10.0||35.0|
|GEN-EWS rank list||9.0||31.5|
|OBC-NCL rank list||9.0||31.5|
|SC rank list||5.0||17.5|
|ST rank list||5.0||17.5|
|Common-PwD rank list (CRL)||5.0||17.5|
|OBC-NCL-PwD rank list||5.0||17.5|
|SC-PwD rank list||5.0||17.5|
|ST-PwD rank list||5.0||17.5|
|Preparatory course rank lists||2.5||8.75|
Study At IIT Mandi During COVID-19
The Indian Institute of Technology, Mandi recently announced to start taking classes online to lower the spread of COVID-19 pandemic further. According to Timothy Gonsalves, the director of IIT Mandi, the institute has decided to conduct online classes and started sharing study materials and audio files with students over the internet.
Some other information related to initiatives taken by IIT Mandi during COVID-19:
- All the faculty members at IIT Mandi will be available online during interactive sessions for students so that they can clear their doubts.
- The Indian Institute of Technology Mandi (IIT Mandi) recently announced that its researchers have developed two low-cost portable ventilators.
- Priced at almost INR 4,000, the smart ventilator prototype is a mechanized Artificial Manual Breathing Unit (AMBU) that can control breath rate and volume of air flowing into the patient’s lung.
- IIT Mandi is also going to conduct online assessment for students who have not been able to attend the college amid the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.
Why Should You Choose IIT Mandi?
Indian Institute of Technology Mandi or IIT Mandi was established in 2009 as a young IIT. The campus is located at a peaceful place, almost 14 km away from the historic town of Mandi, in the Kamand Valley on the banks of the Uhl, a tributary of the river Beas. One of the main reasons for choosing IIT Mandi as your next destination for learning would be its beautiful campus. The creation of this unique campus amid the challenging Himalayan range makes this college a great place to spend your 4 years of education. Given below are some other major reasons why you should choose IIT Mandi-
- QS India University Rankings (2019) – 20
- NIRF 2020 Engineering Rankings – 31
- The placement rate for the year 2019-20 was more than 90%. Some of the renowned companies take part in the placement drive at IIT Mandi including Microsoft, Amazon, Accenture, Cisco, Google, ITC, ISRO and many more.
- IIT Mandi has seen great placements in all the specializations. Highest CTC offered at IIT Mandi was INR 40 LPA. Although this number is low compared to other IITs, the average CTC offered by recruiters at IIT Mandi was INR 13.5 LPA which is much higher than other similar ranking colleges.
- Numerous Merit-cum-Means Scholarships are offered to the qualifying students. SC/ST/PwD students are already exempt from paying Tuition Fees. There are other scholarships provided on the basis of the family’s annual income.
- The researchers across different disciplines are focused on increasing energy supply in a sustainable manner
Check Why Choose IIT Roorkee?
IIT Mandi: Reservation Through JEE Advanced Counselling (JoSAA)
IIT Mandi grants admission to various B.Tech courses. Total seats offered by the college for undergraduate courses are 261, candidates clearing JEE Main and JEE Advanced will be eligible for JoSAA counselling. JoSAA or Joint Seat Allocation Authority conducts Counselling and Seat Allocation Process on behalf of IITs, NITs, IIITs, and other GFTIs.
In 2020, the counselling session will be extended amid COVID-19, an outbreak which resulted in the extension of both exams, JEE Main and JEE Advanced. JEE Main is expected to be conducted later.
Students qualifying both, JEE Main and JEE Advanced will be eligible to take part in JoSAA Counselling. However, only those qualified in JEE Advanced will be able to take admission in IITs. Given below is the number of seats available in the top 4 courses of IIT Mandi. Seat matrix is based on JEE Advanced Reservation. The seat pool is from Gender Neutral, All India Quota for Open, SC, ST and OBC categories. There are other categories too such as PwD and EWS which have not been included below.
|B.Tech in Civil Engineering (4 Years)||15||5||2||7|
|B.Tech in Computer Science and Engineering (4 Years)||19||6||3||11|
|B.Tech in Electrical Engineering (4 Years)||20||5||3||11|
|B.Tech in Mechanical Engineering (4 Years)||20||6||3||10|
Faculty at IIT Mandi
IIT Mandi recruits well educated and highly experienced teachers and professors. Some of the top faculty here include:
- Assistant Professor
- Specialization: Semiconductor Devices, Epitaxy and Compound Semiconductors
- PhD from IIT Kharagpur (2016)
- Assistant Professor
- Specialization: Statistical Signal Processing, Wireless Communications
- PhD from IIT Kanpur
- Associate Professor (Joint Appointment)
- Specialization: Computational magnetics and material informatics
- PhD from University of Roorkee
Arnav Bhavsar Vinayak
- Associate Professor
- Specialization: Image analysis, Computer vision
- PhD from IIT Madras (2011)
Various Facilities Provided at IIT Mandi Campus
IIT Mandi offers world-class infrastructure and latest facilities to the students studying there. The technologically advanced IIT Mandi is located at a calm and greener location. IIT Mandi is created in a pollution-free environment that promotes effective teaching amid nature.
- IIT Mandi also houses the IIT Mandi Catalyst, a technology business incubator (TBI). This supports some newly setup startups with the required funding from the government and also provides the technological infrastructure at a low cost.
- The classrooms of IIT Mandi are well equipped with high-class equipment and offer an amazing experience to all the students. Top quality and well-maintained labs offer enough exposure to the students. The campus of IIT Mandi is situated amongst one of the most beautiful places in Himachal just on the banks of the river Uhl, is one of a kind.
- IIT Mandi has a main library with close to 19,000 books and more than 20,000 online resources. The library is next-gen fully automated with RFID enabled technological resources.
- The campus is divided into two campuses – The South Campus and The North Campus. Both campuses consist of residential complexes, academic buildings, dining halls, eateries and canteen, and other common facilities.
- The whole campus is equipped with 200 Wi-fi access points with an IT infrastructure capable of high speed bandwidth of 1 Gbps.
- IIT Mandi has a top-notch High Performance Computing Cluster combined of 160 nodes working on 3,000 cores of both CPU and GPU.
- Each hostel at IIT Mandi has allocated a common room with almost every facility one can think of, TT tables, microwave, TV, etc. Currently, more than 10 hostels are used for accommodating students and have 2 accommodation messes functioning. Hostels are constructed using the latest technology and most comfortable facilities are offered to the students.
- Even the food offered to the students is quite affordable, with daily diet costing only INR 98.
IIT Mandi: Placement Report
Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Mandi offers impressive placement opportunities to the students, almost similar to what graduates get at other well-known IIT campuses. For the academic year, 2018-2019, the institute had a placement rate of 82 percent placements for its UG batch.
Some of the renowned companies that offered placements and internships opportunities to the graduates include Microsoft, Texas Instruments, Internet Academy, Goldman Sachs, Codenation, among many other companies.
IIT Mandi Placements Highlights 2019
IIT Mandi offers placement and internship to almost all the UG and PG students, almost 10% of the overall students opted for higher studies from other renowned national and international universities.
- In 2019, 82% students got placements in top-leading companies
- CSE Branch has made the highest number of placements by placing 54 students in various companies.
- The maximum salary package offered at IIT Mandi was INR 40 LPA. The average salary offered at IIT Mandi was INR 13.5 LPA. The average salary has seen continuous growth in the past few years at IIT Mandi.
- Some of the top leading recruiters include Microsoft, Amazon, Cortex and ISRO.
IT Mandi Branch-Wise Placement 2019
The maximum share of 2019 placement went to Computer Science and Engineering where more than 93% placed students got placed, followed by Civil Engineering and Electrical Engineering.
|Branch Name||Percentage of Students Placed|
|Computer Science and Engineering||93.10|
Scholarships Offered by IIT Mandi
IIT Mandi grants several scholarships to B.Tech students, many scholarships are either merit-based or need-based. While the scholarships for MS, MTech, and PhD students include the HTRA scholarships where students are awarded an amount worth INR 12,400 so that they can pay for their tuition fees. Some of the scholarships offered here include:
- HTRA Scholarship – For PhD, MS and M.Tech students
- Institute Scholarship – For SC/ST students. Room rent exemption & INR 1000/month scholarship or Free mess facility with INR 250/month pocket allowance. Gross Family Income should not exceed INR 4.5 LPA.
- Merit-cum-means Scholarship – For Gen/OBC Category B.Tech Students. Those students whose annual family income is less than INR 4.5 lacs are eligible. Full tuition fee is exempt along with INR 1000/month scholarship. Minimum CGPA should be 6.0 or more.
- Central Sector Scholarship for SC students under the Ministry of Minority Affairs.
Fees For B.Tech Courses Offered at IIT Mandi
IIT Mandi campus offers Undergraduate, Postgraduate and Doctorate programs in the fields of Engineering. The fee structure of the major courses is mentioned below:
|Course||Duration||Fees for 1st year [in INR]|
|Bachelor of Technology [B.Tech]||4 years||2.14 Lacs|
|M.Sc / MS by Research||2 years||26,700|
|M.Tech||2 years||2.17 lacs|
|B.Tech + M.Tech (dual degree)||5 years||2.14 lacs|
Fee Bifurcation for B.Tech Course at IIT Mandi
Given below is the fee bifurcation for the B.Tech 2020-21 batch of IIT Mandi. There are few particulars which are exempted for SC/ST/PwD categories and few economically backward classes. The fees are for each semester, with few particular for one time only.
|Particulars||Amount (in INR)|
|One Time Fee (During Admission)||3750|
|Institution Caution Deposit||2000|
|Hostel Rent, Electricity and Water||6500|
- SC/ST/PwD students are exempted from tuition fee. This makes their total to only INR 33,750. Moreover, they can avail scholarships and get full remission of the hostel rent and mess charges too.
- JoSAA Fees will be adjusted in the first year fees for IIT Mandi.
- Students whose annual family income is less than INR 1 lac, shall get full remission of fees.
- 2/3rd remission of fees is provided towards those students whose annual family income is between INR 1 lac to 5 lacs.
- Female students also get full financial support with tuition fee waiver and INR 1000/stipend. This will be based on the merit of the female student with a minimum SGPA of 7.0 for the previous two semesters.
IIT Mandi FAQs
Ans. There are a total of 282 All India seats available at IIT Mandi through JoSAA Counselling. These include both General-Neutral and Female-only seats. Batch size goes from 25 to 60 for various specializations at IIT Mandi.
Ans. IIT Mandi accepts admissions based on candidates’ scores in JEE Advanced and cut-off list announced by JoSAA. In order to get admission to IIT Mandi, you must clear the cut off rank for the desired course and participate in all rounds of JoSAA Counselling until you are allotted the desired seat.
Ans. The candidates with a minimum of 75% marks in Class 12 can apply for JEE Main exam. Candidates aiming to study at IIT Mandi must also clear JEE Advanced and qualify the JoSAA cut off for IIT Mandi as well. Candidates are advised to review previous year closing ranks for various B.Tech specializations at IIT Mandi to get an idea of admission trends.
Ans. IIT Mandi has good placement records for the past so many years. Each year more than 90% of the students got placed in top companies and fetch a good amount of salary. Average salary is INR 13.5 LPA and Highest salary was INR 40 LPA.