Home » Posts tagged 'IIT Goa'
Tag Archives: IIT Goa
In 2014, the Union Government decided to set up 6 new IITs. IIT Goa was thus established as a young IIT in 2016. It is presently under the mentorship of IIT Bombay, which means the curriculum and teaching practices followed at IIT Bombay are also followed at IIT Goa.
- Currently, all educational and non-educational activities are carried out from the campus of Goa Engineering College (GEC) located at Farmagudi.
- It has been 4 years only since its inception and IIT Goa is already living up to the standards of top-tier IITs. It is redefining higher education, culminating traditional and modern learning methodologies.
- It offers courses in B.Tech, M.Tech and doctoral degrees. It is a participating institute for JoSAA Counselling and all B.Tech admissions are based on JEE Advanced Scores/All India Ranks of candidates.
The temporary IIT Goa campus is well facilitated with various amenities, residential and entertainment areas for the students. The annual fee is comparatively low and affordable for an average student. Financial assistance is provided to students of weak financial backgrounds
IIT Goa Highlights
|Type||Autonomous Public Institute|
|Types of programs offered||B.Tech, M.Tech, PhD|
|Admission criteria||JEE Advanced after 10+2 level qualification|
|Mode of Application||Online|
Also Check | Top Engineering Colleges In India
IIT Goa: B.Tech Admissions Through JEE Advanced
Indian Institutes of Technology have a comparatively tough admission process. Joint Seat Allocation Authority (JoSAA), guided by the Joint Admission Board (JAB), is responsible for all admission related procedures. Unlike NITs, selections for IITs are finalized via All India Rank from JEE Advanced instead of JEE Main, with no specific reservation for state domiciles. However, regular reservations are provided.
B. Tech Courses Offered at IIT Goa
At the time of its inception in 2016, IIT Goa had only three specialisation courses under B.Tech program. However, in the academic year of 2019-20, the institute introduced Mathematics and Computing in its B.Tech curriculum. Presently, the institute provides the following branches for B.Tech-
- Computer Science and Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Mathematics and Computing
Each specialisation has two types of core courses – Departmental core and Institute core. The subjects under departmental core courses differ according to the specialisation undertaken. Whereas, institute core subjects remain the same for all. The latter is structured for the first two semesters while the former is a full-time course curriculum. Students also have a wide range of elective subjects to choose from.
Also Read | B.Tech Courses Offered at IIT Dhanbad (ISM)
Eligibility Criteria for IIT Goa
IITs do not have any separate eligibility criteria. The rules are the same as JEE Advanced Eligibility. Given below are the main criteria for admission to IIT Goa-
- Aggregate in Class 12th – Candidates should have procured at least 75% marks in aggregate or its equivalent, for General and OBC category and minimum 65% marks or its equivalent, for SC/ST category students in (10+2) level from a recognised board. Combination of Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics is compulsory in Class 12. (Note: This rule has been scrapped by JAB. Read More)
- JEE Main – In order to appear for JEE Advanced, aspirants must appear for JEE Main exam held in January and April in that year for B.Tech paper. They will be eligible if they have a rank within top 2.5 lakh, successful students, to be able to appear for JEE Advanced.
- JEE Advanced – Once the conducting IIT announces the JEE Advanced Results, candidates scoring the minimum qualifying cut off in JEE Advanced can apply in JoSAA Counselling. Without a proper JEE Advanced Score Card, candidates will be deemed ineligible.
Admission Process in IIT Goa
Joint Seat Allocation Authority (JoSAA) conducts the counselling sessions for selected candidates for all participating institutes. In total, 7 rounds are conducted for seat allocation. Similarly for IIT Goa, the admission procedure is carried out in the following manner-
- Qualification in JEE Main exam
- Qualification in JEE Advanced exam
- Registration for JoSAA counselling and attendance in all rounds for seat allocation
- Report to IIT Goa and proceed with admission and semester fee payment.
IIT Goa Cut Off For Top B.Tech Courses
Given below are the IIT Goa Cut Off for its top B.Tech courses. These cutoffs are based on Round 7 of JoSAA Counselling 2019 which will help you assume the opening and closing ranks for 2020. Do remember that cut offs change every year.
|Branch||2019 Cut Off (OR-CR)|
|Computer Science and Engineering||2495-3865|
|Mathematics and Computing||3487-5067|
Also Read | Is NIT Trichy A Decent Alternative To IITs?
IIT Goa: Academics Amid COVID-19
In the fight against COVID-19, IIT Goa began its online classes/E-classes for all the students including B.Tech, M.Tech and PhD students. As per the official website, classes would continue online while students can learn and attend classes at home. Classroom education and lab sessions have been brought to hold until further notice.
- The college suspended classes much before the country-wide lockdown on 16th March 2020, which shows utmost care towards students.
- Various online assignments were provided to students from lab instructors.
- Classes were proposed to be conducted using Skype, Google Slides or Cisco Webex. Students were advised to stay in their hostels or at their homes.
- Schedules of classes were regularly informed by faculty members to all the students via mail. IIT Goa also published notices on the official website to inform the students about online classes.
IIT Goa has also conducted research with IIT Delhi on jumps in COVID-19 cases. Various workshops and conferences have been conducted during this phase to engage students and faculty in creative work.
Why Choose IIT Goa?
At IIT Goa students are not only focused on their academics but also encouraged to involve in extra-curricular activities for their all-round development. The enthralling journey of 4 years in IIT Goa starts with a huge freshers party ‘Fresco Fiesta’ with music, dance and fun games. Every festival is celebrated with great enthusiasm.
- Social Clubs – Being a part of any student club brings out the best in the students. There are clubs for Dramatics (Mukhota), Music (Orion), Oration (Panache), Dance (Meraki), Literature (Kalam), Photography (Originals), Fine Arts (Eunoia) and Graphic Designing (Student Design Team).
- Sports Activities – Various sports events are also organised throughout the year. Athletes participate in tournaments like ‘Avahan’ by IIT-Bombay, ‘Spree’ by BITS Goa and Inter IIT Sports Meet.
- Focus on Coding – IIT Goa has a technical affairs community too. Clubs under this wing are ArchiTechs – bringing Architecture and Technology under the same umbrella; GoMyno – the coding club; the Electronics and Robotics Club; Google DSC- the programming club powered by Google Developers; Motorsports- the automotive engineering club and M-DASH- the software knowledge imparting club.
- Internship Opportunities – In the first semester of their 4th year, students are provided with internships giving them real-life experience. These internships are usually for 6 months. It adds another positive aspect to the students’ resumes and increases their potential to grab suitable job offers.
- National and International Collaborations – Memorandum of Understanding (MoUs) has been signed with several institutes and organizations from India and abroad. These allow faculty and student exchange programs, advanced research and development with the partner organizations, intellectual property development, and participation in training programmes and courses.
- Financial Assistance & Scholarship – Students can opt for financial aid schemes as may be applicable to them. Central and State Government scholarship schemes can be availed as well.
Also Check | IIT Mandi: The Most Beautiful IIT in India
Latest News Updates
- JEE Main 2020 Admit Card Released on Jeemain.nic.in. Download Now
- JEE Main 2020 Day 1: Check Exam Updates and JEE Main Paper Analysis
- Registrations For JoSAA Counselling To Begin From 6th October
- Check JEE Main Participating Colleges
- JEE Advanced 2020: Revised Schedule Released, Registration Starts from 11 September
IIT Goa Cut Off 2019 for B.Tech
Analysis of previous year IIT Goa cut off can give a brief idea about current year’s cut off. Given below are the IIT Goa Cut Off 2019 for B.Tech courses. 7 rounds of JoSAA Counselling decides these cut-offs. These tables show the opening ranks in Round 1 and closing ranks in Round 7 for male and female candidates with respect to their reservation quota.
Computer Science and Engineering
Mathematics and Computing
Also Check | JEE Main Cut Off, Fees for Top NITs
Also Check | IIT Kanpur: Fees, Cut Off, Scholarships and More
IIT Goa: Reservation through JoSAA Counselling
Around 40 students each are admitted to B.Tech – Computer Science and Engineering and Electrical Engineering courses. Whereas, 45 students are admitted in Mechanical Engineering course. B. Tech in Mathematics and Computing has started with 25 student intake capacity every year. The percentage of seat reservation out of a total number of seats (150, in case of IIT Goa) for the B.Tech courses as per the reservation categories has been tabulated below-
|Category||Total No. of Seats||Seat Reservation|
Faculty at IIT Goa
Young, as well as experienced faculty members, form an integral part of the learning process at IIT Goa. They belong to rich academic and research backgrounds. Lectures and workshops are fun and interactive sessions, making it an interesting process for the students. Faculty members are approachable and always ready to help the students at IIT Goa.
- Around 15 visiting and adjunct faculty, holding positions at distinguished institutes across the country, add value to the academic procedure in IIT Goa.
- A low student-faculty ratio of 8:1 makes it possible for the faculty to focus on each and every scholar and guide them. One to one interaction and exchange of ideas between student and professor is possible.
Facilities Provided at IIT Goa
IIT Goa has multiple facilities to ensure seamless learning at the campus. The college has facilities for lodging, entertainment and day-to-day activities such as banks and ATMs. Given below are some important facilities-
- Library – The Central Library at IIT Goa has a wide range of reference materials for the help of its students. They can access subscribed newspapers, journals and magazines. Databases, Open access resources, e-books and other electronic resources are also available for academic purpose. Research students can facilitate the Networked Library Resources of DELNET (Developing Library Network), New Delhi.
- Halls of Residence – Students coming from different parts of the country are provided with adequate residential facilities. Total berthing capacity is 640 at the interim campus of GEC, with 2 people accommodating in one room. Each floor in the hostel has water coolers, water purifiers, washing machines, water geysers, refrigerators, restrooms and bathrooms. Area for student recreation with TV units, music and dance rooms, and indoor games room is also available. Students can dine in at the common dining hall. Vegetarian and non-vegetarian food is served.
- Medical Centre – A primary healthcare centre is open for students, faculty and staff. The campus is well connected to several hospitals and health centres in Goa.
- Other facilities include Wi-Fi connection, gymnasium, indoor and outdoor sports area, well-equipped laboratories and more. For research purposes, IIT Goa scholars have the facilities of using top-notch equipment. Various labs conduct R&D over a set of research projects.
Must Read | NIT Srinagar: Your College Around Mountains!
IIT Goa Placements
The 2019-20 batch is supposed to be the first one to graduate from IIT Goa. So, till now IIT Goa has not conducted any placements drives in the institute. About 125 B.Tech graduates are supposed to be placed this year.
- Many companies have shown interest in recruiting them. However, the 6-month tenure internships form an integral part of the curriculum giving students hands-on real-world experience.
- IIT Goa also provides summer internship opportunities to students, allowing them to work with faculties of the institute itself. This is a short term internship program, usually for 6-10 weeks.
Placement Cell of IIT Goa has had help from its mentor, IIT Bombay. It is expected that placements at IIT Goa will be outstanding. We will update this section once placements are completed.
IIT Goa Scholarships
Students can avail scholarships from the Central and State governments. It is to be kept in mind, only one scheme can be opted for at a time. Various scholarships provided at IIT Goa are given below-
- Merit-cum-Means Scholarship – This scholarship is for B.Tech students. Under this scheme, students availing hostel facilities get 1000 INR/month for 10 months and are exempted from tuition fee payment. Non-hostellers are given Rs. 500 every month for 10 months and do not have to pay hostel rent and dining charges. Students should have acquired a minimum of 50% in the previous final examination. Annual family income should not exceed 6 lakh INR for all category students.
- Central Government Scholarship for SC students – SC students with marvellous academic performance are the recipients of this scholarship. Full tuition fee, non-refundable charges, living expenses, books and laptop or desktop will be covered by the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment. Total annual family income should not exceed Rs. 6 lakh.
- Central Government Scholarship for ST students – Fully funded scholarships are available for ST students showing academic excellence. Total annual family income should be less than 6 lakh INR. Special allowances are given to ST scholars with physical disabilities. Full tuition fee, non-refundable charges, living expenses, books and laptop or desktop are covered under this scheme by the Ministry of Tribal Affairs.
- Education loans – Leading banks like State Bank of India and Corporation Bank give student loans at nominal interest rates.
IIT Goa Fees Structure
The semester fee for B.Tech courses is payable for each semester. The bifurcation is shown below-
|Particulars||Fees (in INR)|
|Security Deposits (Refundable)||5000|
|Other One Time Payments||5000|
Hostel and Mess Charges
|Hostel Seat Rent||500|
|Electricity and Water Charges||2500|
|Hostel Establishment Charges||2000|
|Hostel Subsidy Contribution||6000|
|Semester Mess Advance||15000|
- SC/ST and PwD category students are exempted from the payment of tuition fee.
- Students with annual family income less than INR 1 lac are exempted from tuition fee as well.
- Those students whose annual family income is between INR 1 lac to 5 lac are eligible for 2/3rd tuition fee remission.
IIT Goa FAQs
Ans: The interim campus at Farmagudi is 38 km away from the nearest airport (Dabolim-Vasco) and 24 km from railway station (Madgaon). The nearest bus stand (Ponda) is just 5 km away from the campus. It is well connected by public modes of transportation.
Ans: MCM Scholarship and Central Scholarship for SC and ST students provide assistance to the students for the full duration of the course applied for.