Last updated on October 8th, 2020 at 01:20 pm
Shri Mata Vaishno Devi University, Katra which is also referred to as SMVD University or SMVDU Katra was established in 1999. The university was established under an Act of the Jammu and Kashmir Legislature and is one of the reputed GFTIs. It is a fully residential university located near the shrine of Mata Vaishno Devi, Katra, Jammu and Kashmir.
- SMVDU has more than 20 tie-ups and houses one college of Nursing (SMVD College of Nursing), four faculties, consisting of 15 Schools.
- Different Undergraduate, Postgraduate, Integrated and PhD courses in streams of Engineering, Science, Management, Philosophy, and other subjects are offered to the students.
- Admissions here are granted based on the entrance test and merit-basis followed by SMVDU Direct Counselling respective to the course.
- SMVDU Katra has collaborations with IIT, Jammu; University of Jammu; National Institute of Technology, Srinagar; and Government Medical College, Jammu
- Some of the accepted exams here include SMVDUEE, JEE Main, NATA, GATE, CAT, etc.
- Admissions to B. Tech courses at Shri Mata Vaishno Devi University are given based on the individual’s performance in JEE Main and seat allotment is done via JoSAA Counselling.
Highlights of Shri Mata Vaishno Devi University
|Accepted exams||SMVDUEE, JEE Main, JAM, NATA, GATE, CAT, MAT, UGC-NET, etc.|
|Campus size||470 acre|
|Recognised by||UGC, AIU, CIC, AICTE, COA|
|Total courses||26 courses across 6 streams|
Shri Mata Vaishno Devi University: B. Tech Admissions Through JEE Main
B.Tech Course admissions at SMVDU is made on the basis of the scores obtained in entrance examinations. B.Tech. is offered under different specializations, i.e., Computer Science & Engineering, Electronics & Communication Engineering, Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering.
B.Tech Courses Offered
- Computer Science & Engineering
- Electronics & Communication
- Civil Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
Other than B.Tech, SMVDU also offers Bachelor of Architecture (B.Arch) course to aspiring candidates through JEE Main Paper 2 Ranks.
Eligibility for B.Tech
- The students planning to do a UG level course get at least 60% marks in class 10+2.
- A minimum aggregate score of 60% is required in 10+2 (PCM division) to get admission to a UG course.
- The selection will be as per the scores achieved in the entrance exam, followed by SMVDU Direct Counselling or JoSAA or AIR (CRL).
- The JEE Main scores will be considered while shortlisting the qualifying candidates.
- Along with JEE Main, candidates need to appear in the Shri Mata Vaishno Devi University Entrance Examination-2020 as well.
Admission Process for B.Tech
- In order to apply here, candidates must fill the application form online and submit all the documents and details required.
- Some seats will be allotted to the candidates belonging to the Scheduled Castes, Scheduled Tribes, and other backward categories.
- Seats will be granted based on the guidelines made by the Government of India.
- For the counseling round, students need to visit the official JoSAA website and tap on the registration page.
- Candidates applying for the B. Tech must have studied Physics and Mathematics as compulsory subjects along with one of the Chemistry / Biotechnology / Biology / Technical Vocational subjects.
- Seat Allotment for Phase-I for B.Tech. Program will be announced and the selected candidates will be informed via email.
Study At SMVDU Katra During COVID-19
In view of the outbreak of COVID-19, SMVDU also started conducting online classes so that students can continue their studies.
- The administrator at SMVDU said that considering the Covid-19 pandemic, we are providing online theory and practical classes till the situation normalizes.
- The online classes are arranged for the students through several modes including Google classroom, Google Meet, WhatsApp video call, telephonic communication, etc.
Why Choose SMVDU Katra?
Established in 1999, SMVDU presently offers B. Tech, M. Tech and PhD level courses to the qualified students. Admission to all UG degree courses is done through the JEE Main Entrance.
- College rankings (2019); It is positioned at 81st rank for Engineering by Outlook.
- Also, Shri Mata Vaishno Devi University Katra is among the top 100 Business Schools ranking, based on NIRF 2019 declared by MHRD.
- The institute has separate hostel facilities for boys and girls, all rooms are well-furnished and latest facilities are offered to the students living in the hostels.
SMVDU Cut Off 2019 For B.Tech Specializations
The cut off list of JEE Main cut will be announced post the exams. Meanwhile, all the candidates who gave the exam and are awaiting their results can refer to the past few years cut-off list. The cut-offs are available only for General Category students.
|Branch||Cut Off 2019 (OR- CR)|
|Computer Science and Engineering||31432- 49749|
|Electronics and Communication Engineering||49005- 56082|
|Electrical Engineering||50019- 57333|
|Mechanical Engineering||49016- 58678|
|Civil Engineering||47164- 58916|
SMVDU: Reservation Through JEE Main Counselling
Given below are the seats at SMVDU for various category students, applying for admission to B.Tech-
Faculty at SMVDU Katra
SMVDU appoints the best and highly deserving faculty members who use the best teaching methodologies while teaching students. Some of the faculty members who are working at SMVDU include:
- Dr. Manoj Kumar Gupta – Head of School (School of Computer Science and Engineering)
- Dr. Kumud Ranjan Jha, Designation: Associate Professor & Head of Department
- Dr. Vipan Kakkar, Designation: Associate Professor
- Dr. Sumeet Gupta, Designation: Associate Professor, SECE & Dean (Academic Affairs)
- Dr. Amit Kant Pandit, Designation: Associate Professor
Various Facilities Provided at SMVDU Katra Campus
SMVDU provides many facilities to the students which makes it easier for them to continue their studies. Some of the facilities offered to the students studying here include:
- Hostel: There are separate hostels for boys and girls. All the hostels have Wi-Fi connectivity and many other facilities are offered like water purifiers, mess, power and water supply, catering facility, etc.
- Sports: Students get a chance to play indoor and outdoor games and stay entertained and energetic all the time.
- Gym: For the students, a well-equipped gymnasium is also constructed inside the campus so that students can stay fit. Moreover there are numerous clubs in which students can take part.
The campus is well-equipped with all kinds of facilities like power and water supply, Bank, ATM Facility and Post Office, Auditorium, medical aid centre, Transportation, Guest House, Catering Facility, Schools for children, etc.
Latest News Updates
- JEE Main 2021 Will Be Conducted In More Regional Languages, Says Education Minister
- Opening and Closing Ranks (2020) for Round 1 Counselling Released By JoSAA; Check Details
- JoSAA Releases Updated Instructions For Online Verification & Change of Willingness
- JoSAA Counselling 2020: Second Mock Seat Allotment Released, Registrations End Tomorrow
- Candidates Will Get Another Chance Directly in JEE Advanced 2021 Due To COVID-19
SMVDU Katra Placement Report
SMVDU has a separate placement cell that aims at offering the best career solution to the students. The placement cell offers placement support to the students and aimed at improving their skills so that they can have a bright career.
Some of the top recruiters include Airtel, BAJAJ Allianz, Bosch Ltd, CapGemini, Cipla, Coca-Cola, Fujitsu, HCL, HCL Infosystems, HDFC Bank, etc.
- The average salary offered to the SMVDU’s graduates varies from INR 5- 6 LPA.
- The maximum salary offered to the graduates this year witnessed a significant growth as compared to the last years.
- Several companies took part in the placement drive.
- More than 24 companies took part in the placement round.
- Many several recruiters include Samsung, IBM, Mahindra, Nulux, Indian Oil, Indian Navy, etc.
Scholarships Offered at SMVDU Katra
The University grants several scholarships to the deserving and meritorious students, the scholarships are offered under different categories and parameters. Different types of scholarships offered under Shri Mata Vaishno Devi University scholarships scheme are mentioned below:
- Student Merit-cum-Means Scholarship Scheme (SMMSS): In this kind of scholarship, the university offers financial support in terms of semester tuition fee waiver and hostel fee waiver. The amount varies from 10 percent to 100 percent based on the merit.
- Scholarships like Shakti are offered to the meritorious girl students and Special Scholarship Scheme for meritorious students who want to do B. Tech, BArch and MBA at SMVDU. In this scheme, the deserving students get a complete tuition fee waiver on first three to five semesters which is respective to the rank / score obtained in qualifying exams
Fee Structure For B.Tech at SMVDU Katra
The tuition fee for B.Tech course at SMVDU is given below:
|Particulars||Amount (In INR)|
|One time Fees||11,750|
Shri Mata Vaishno Devi University FAQs
Last updated on October 8th, 2020 at 12:49 pm
Ans: The application process here begins in June/July each year.
Last updated on October 8th, 2020 at 12:50 pm
Ans: Graduates post completing their course gets a starting package worth INR 5-76 LPA.
Last updated on October 8th, 2020 at 12:50 pm
Ans: Yes, the institute has a separate placement cell whose roles and responsibilities include taking care of the activities related to grooming students for placements.