Last updated on October 9th, 2020 at 11:36 am
National Institute of Technology (NIT), Silchar or NITS established in 1967 is one of the most reputed and eminent engineering institutes of the country. The institute offers admission to various UG, PG and doctorate programs based on engineering, management and humanities. NIT Silchar has been ranked 46th in NIRF 2020 Top Engineering Colleges in India.
- There are different courses offered at NIT Silchar like B.Tech, M.Tech, and PhD programs to the candidates.
- The admissions to these courses are made based on the marks scored in the entrance examinations like JEE Main, GATE, etc.
- The institute is known to provide several facilities including sports, extracurricular activities, accommodation, central library, etc.
- The engineering institute has a central library which has ample physical and e-books for the students.
- The institute has a central placement cell and offers excellent placement records from the last few years from the top recruiters of the industry.
NIT Silchar Highlights
|Recognized by||UGC, AICTE|
|Year of Establishment||1967|
|Type of College||Autonomous, Public|
|Type of Programs||UG, PG and PhD|
|Admission Criteria||JEE Main and 10+2 scores (for B.Tech)|
|Campus Size||625 acres|
|Entrance Exams||JEE Main, GATE|
NIT Silchar B.Tech Admissions Through JEE Main
NIT Silchar conducts admissions to its B.Tech courses through NTA JEE Main. After the JEE Main Results are out, JoSAA Counselling (joint counselling) is conducted to allot seats to the students as per the JEE Main Cut Off for NIT Silchar.
B. Tech Courses Offered at NIT Silchar
National Institute of Technology, Silchar offers a variety of courses under different specializations. Given below are the details for the same-
- Computer Science and Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Electronics and Communication Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Electronics and Instrumentation Engineering
Eligibility for Various Courses at NIT Silchar
- B.Tech: 12th Boards + JEE Main Score. Minimum of 75% required in 12th boards, 65% for SC/ST students (top 20 percentile rule).
- M.Tech: Minimum 60% aggregate in graduation (B.E/B.Tech only) required. Admission on the basis of GATE scores and merit basis.
NIT Silchar Admission Process for B.Tech Through JEE Main
- JEE Main Qualification: Appear for NTA JEE Main and clear the minimum cut off for JEE Main exam. This is the first step to get admission to NIT Silchar through JEE Main.
- Register for JoSAA Counselling: During JoSAA Counselling, seats are allotted according to the NTA Score / All India Rank of the candidates and as per the JEE Main cut off, set by NIT Silchar for admissions to their various B.Tech specializations.
- Lock Choices and Participate in Counselling: Take part in the last round of JoSAA Counselling until you get your desired seat in your dream college. There are chances that many high ranking seats are opted-out by students for a better option. This way you can opt for the left out seats in the last round. NIT Silchar cut-offs usually go low compared to other NITs which makes NIT Silchar easier to get.
- Report To The College: The last stage of admission is to report along with the required documents at the college. All documents have to be submitted for verification. During reporting, you also have to pay the first year/admission fees of the college.
- Admission Process in NIT Warangal through JEE Main
- Advantage of Pursuing Dual Degree (B.Tech + M.Tech) in IIT Kharagpur
NIT Silchar Cut Off For Top Courses
National Institute of Technology, Silchar offers admission in B.Tech program for four years in various branches as mentioned above. Tabulated below are the JEE Main 2019 Cutoffs for admission to the top B.Tech programmes at National Institute of Technology, Silchar-
|Course||Cut Off Ranks (Opening – Closing)|
|Other State||Home State|
|Computer Science and Engineering||5023 – 9751||8699 – 23882|
|Electronics and Communication Engineering||10736 – 14948||17899 – 40841|
|Electrical Engineering||12346 – 18513||32579 – 56958|
|Mechanical Engineering||13820 – 19805||21851 – 49215|
Study At NIT Silchar During COVID-19
Given below are some reasons why the forward learning approach of NIT Silchar could be beneficial in the long term for a student graduating from this college.
- Online Classes: In the time when the world is in the midst of COVID-19 pandemic, the institute has taken various initiatives to provide e-learning to students enrolled in the institute. The institute has scrapped the one-to-one classroom teaching for the entire year and started the online teaching program for the rest of the semesters.
- Remote Learning (via IIT Bombay): NIT Silchar has made tie-ups with various online teaching platforms to assist students in learning and work from home internships. The best tie-up is IIT Bombay’s Spoken Tutorials (ST) which has enabled students to easily download the complete lectures made under Spoken Tutorials (ST) Project. Lectures are available for students of all the branches and all technical fields.
- Special Online Assessment: NIT Silchar has decided to conduct a special online examination for the backlog subjects of a few older B.Tech batches. The exam will be conducted online and the syllabus will be based on the previous teaching only as the exam is for backlog subjects.
- Care of Mental Health: During April 2020, the college authorities set up a committee to ensure the mental health of the students during and post COVID-19 is looked after. A committee of 7 members was set up to help students in suitably uplifting their mental health.
Other than all this, various research activities are being conducted by NIT Silchar which also motivates students to take part in. Students are also taking part in various online activities hosted by NIT Silchar, amid the lockdown.
Why Choose National Institute of Technology Silchar?
There are various reasons why NIT Silchar is a great place to study. One of the most important reasons is its location in Assam. The college is situated between lush green mountains. The weather is charming all throughout the year and makes your studies very peaceful. Some other major reasons are given below-
- NIT Silchar is one of the top engineering institutes in India that offers various courses like B.Tech, M.Tech, MBA and doctorate level courses. The institute is placed at 46th rank in Engineering category in the NIRF ranking 2020 by MHRD.
- The main reason why you should consider NIT Silchar is because of low cut off ranks and higher than average placements. The NIT Silchar placements have seen a good increase each year. Amazon, Goldman Sachs and Arcesium have been top recruiters at NIT Silchar, each offering CTCs above INR 20 LPA to B.Tech graduates.
- NIT Silchar also conducts various events where college students volunteer and manage various sponsors. A large number of sports activities are organised by NIT Silchar under Gymkhana such as Cricket, Basketball, Football, Tennis and many more. Gymkhana Union Body of NIT Silchar conducted the first-ever mountaineering event of 10 days trek on the Zanskar Frozen River of Ladakh.
- The college offers several facilities including sports, extracurriculars, accommodation, central library etc. The institute has a central placement cell who is responsible for inviting top recruiters even in North-East India. Records of NIT Silchar placements from the last few years from the top recruiters of the industry shows that the average numbers are continuously growing.
- NIT Silchar scholarships are being offered to various categories of students. All students whose family’s annual income is below INR 1 lakh are exempted from tuition fees.
NIT Silchar Cut Off For B.Tech Specializations
NIT Silchar offers B.Tech program in different specializations. Tabulated below are the JEE Main Cut Off Ranking (Home state and other states) of NIT Silchar for different specializations (branches) for admission to the B.Tech program at National Institute of Technology, Silchar. The rankings are from Round 1 of JoSAA Counselling to Round 7 of JoSAA Counselling conducted after JEE Main Results of 2019.
Computer Science and Engineering
|Category||OTHER STATES||HOME STATE|
|General||5023 – 9751||8699 – 23882|
|OBC-NCL||2774 – 3711||5501 – 15160|
|SC||1463 – 1914||2179 – 3949|
|ST||449 – 828||713 – 1586|
|EWS||1133 – 1425||3427 – 5233|
|General PwD||213 – 221||1651 – 1661|
|OBC-NCL PwD||110 – 110||–|
Electronics & Communication Engineering
|Category||OTHER STATES||HOME STATE|
|General||10736 – 14948||17899 – 40841|
|OBC-NCL||3903 – 5386||15178 – 25660|
|SC||2269 – 3068||4418 – 6529|
|ST||1204 – 1548||1051 – 2007|
|EWS||1778 – 1976||5758 – 6987|
|General PwD||754 – 755||–|
|OBC-NCL PwD||420 – 420||–|
|Category||OTHER STATES||HOME STATE|
|General||12346 – 18513||32579 – 56958|
|OBC-NCL||5404 – 6303||15332 – 33006|
|SC||1647 – 3619||4040 – 9873|
|ST||1201 – 1442||1991 – 2710|
|EWS||2271 – 2535||7638 – 10911|
|General PwD||878 – 1024||–|
|OBC-NCL PwD||404 – 404||–|
|Category||OTHER STATES||HOME STATE|
|General||13820 – 19805||21851 – 49215|
|OBC-NCL||5453 – 6851||16719 – 28793|
|SC||2810 – 4081||2413 – 8860|
|ST||1203 – 1627||2083 – 2700|
|EWS||2425 – 2702||7311 – 9848|
|General PwD||487 – 487||–|
|OBC-NCL PwD||516 – 516||–|
Electronics and Instrumentation Engineering
|Category||OTHER STATES||HOME STATE|
|General||16863 – 20551||57004 – 73827|
|OBC-NCL||6401 – 7495||22511 – 39810|
|SC||2847 – 4169||10375 – 11040|
|ST||2272 – 2467||2856 – 2960|
|EWS||2687 – 3029||9904 – 12291|
|General PwD||1484 – 1484||–|
|Category||OTHER STATES||HOME STATE|
|General||20788 – 25599||43940 – 68388|
|OBC-NCL||6682 – 7774||30995 – 40064|
|SC||4043 – 4491||6999 – 10837|
|ST||1096 – 1187||2136 – 2342|
|EWS||3165 – 3476||9659 – 12076|
|General PwD||953 – 953||2482 – 2743|
|OBC-NCL PwD||549 – 549||–|
Latest News Updates
- Key Takeaways From Education Minister’s Webinar On JEE Main 2021 Examination
- JEE Main 2021: Live Session With Education Minister Extended To December 10th
- Uttarakhand Government To Provide Free Coaching Classes For JEE Aspirants
- JEE Main 2021: Mr Ramesh Pokhriyal Directs NTA to Draft a Fresh Syllabus
- JEE Main 2021 Delayed Till February, JEE Advanced 2021 Syllabus Being Reviewed
NIT Silchar: Reservation Through JEE Main Counselling (JoSAA)
Given below is the JEE Main Reservation Criteria for NIT Silchar. The criteria is no different than what is defined under the rules for JoSAA Counselling.
- 15% of seats are reserved for SC and 7.5% are reserved for ST candidates.
- Introduction of EWS category also reserves 10% seats for General/OBC students falling under the EWS category.
- 24 seats (over and above sanctioned intake) are reserved for foreign and other category students.
- 4 seats are reserved for handicapped candidates against Assam open quota within the overall allotment of Assam other than the PwD reserved seats.
|CATEGORY||Reservation Of Seats|
Faculty At NIT Silchar
National Institute of Technology, Silchar is known to have well experienced and highly educated staff members. Each department of the institute has excellent teachers and mentors who are well versed in their respective fields. The faculty of NIT Silchar consists of professors, assistant professors and others.
- The faculty members of the institute have been awarded several awards at the national and international levels and have served on the editorial board of national and international journals.
- As per the information on the official website, 85% of the faculty members are PhD holders with vast experience in the industry as well as teaching.
- There are a large number of national and international projects of NIT Faculties that have been approved for research purposes by various organizations. NIT Faculties take part in research projects which contributes to the industry as a whole.
Various Facilities Provided At NIT Silchar
NIT Silchar is one of the most reputed and leading technical institutes of the country which provides numerous provisions to the students. Some of these facilities are as follows:
- Hostel Facility: NIT Silchar has separate hostels for boys and girls. The hostels are completely secure with 24/7 tight security along with the other facilities including wi-fi facility, laundry, banking facility with ATM counter and cooling system. The hostels have rooms of single, double and triple sharing. Married PhD scholars have the option to occupy flats in the campus housing area during their PhD. There are more than 300 single sharing rooms at NIT Silchar.
- Highly qualified staff members: The institute is known to have well experienced and highly qualified faculty with the work experience of more than 20 years. All the faculty members are highly qualified and strive to impart education in the best possible way they can.
- Canteen and Food: Eateries are available at the hostel as well as other areas in and around campus.
- Health Care: The institute has a dedicated health center with qualified staff and medical facilities required by students, staff and faculty.
- Others: The other facilities provided to students on campus include an SBI bank, a shopping center, library and gymkhana etc.
NIT Silchar Placement Report
The institute has a record of excellent placements from the last few years. According to the placement reports provided by the institute, nearly 94 companies visited the campus and 400 students from the B.Tech stream were placed with an overall placement percentage as 86.12%.
The highest placement recorded was a CTC of INR 32.5 LPA at NIT Silchar offered by Arcesium India Pvt Ltd. Students have grabbed offers from companies like HSBC, ZS Associates, Wipro, MuSigma, Medlife, Amazon, Goldman Sachs among other top companies.
|No. of Companies||94+|
|Total No. of Offers||537|
|No. of Students Placed||397|
|Highest CTC (B.Tech)||INR 32.5 LPA|
|Average CTC (B.Tech)||INR 6.29 LPA|
The above graph represents the total number of students placed from several branches in the 2019 batch. The maximum students are placed from the electronics and communication department whereas the least number of students placed from the electronics and instrumentation department.
Also Read | Done With JEE Main? These Are Your Next Options
NIT Silchar B. Tech Fee Structure
Given below is the total fees for B.Tech and M.Tech students of 1st semester at NIT Silchar. The fees vary according to course, category and semester/year. There is a significant amount of relief in terms of tuition fees to various students coming from poor financial backgrounds. The fees are for each semester, with few particular for one time only.
|Particulars||Fees (in Rs.)|
|Hostel Caution Money (refundable)||10,000|
|Electricity and Water Charges||1,000|
|Hostel Establishment Charges||1,000|
|Caution Money (Security Amount)||5,000|
There are some other charges such as Gymkhana fee, Library fee, Mediclaim charges and others which are included in the total fee/semester. However, in the next semesters, the total fee is reduced by a large amount. Complete details on the fee structure can be viewed on the official website of NIT Silchar.
Notes to Fees:
- For students belonging to SC / ST / PwD categories: INR 21,000.
- For students with:
- Annual Family Income < 1 lac: 21,000
- 1 lac < Annual Family Income < 5 lacs: INR 41,833
- Annual Family Income > 5 lacs: INR 83,500
- The JoSAA 2019 fees for each category will be adjusted in the fees above i.e. SC/ST/PwD – INR 15,000, General/OBC – INR 35,000.
NIT Silchar Scholarships
National Institute of Technology (NIT) Silchar offers various scholarships to the students. The SC/ST students are exempted from paying tuition fee throughout their education at NIT Silchar. Some of the NIT Silchar scholarships are mentioned below:
- Engineers India Limited (EIL): It is the scholarship which is provided to the students belonging to SC/ ST categories where students are awarded the scholarship according to their marks.
- Swami Dayanand Charitable Educational Foundation offers scholarships to meritorious students. This is a Merit-cum-means scholarship offered to all the students pursuing Engineering / Medical / Pharmacy / Architecture / IT courses in India.
- National Scholarship Portal for ST students is also available for students of NIT Silchar.
- There is another scholarship provided by Samsung, which is the Samsung Star Scholarship to the students who have outstanding academic performance.
FAQs on NIT Silchar
Ans. One can reach Silchar by Flight, Train or Road. Daily flights run from Kolkata and Guwahati. The airport is approximately 35 km away from NIT Silchar. Sampark Kranti Train runs from Delhi to Silchar. From the railway station to NIT Silchar, the distance is almost 10 km. Buses run from Guwahati to Silchar daily. From ISBT Silchar to NIT Silchar, auto-rickshaw costs around INR 150 to 200.
Ans. NIT Silchar offers a total of 856 B.Tech seats in 6 various engineering branches. Batch size is usually around 70 to 80 students in all courses.
Ans. Yes, the college provides hostel facilities for both boys and girls. The hostels are completely secure with 24/7 tight security along with the other facilities including wi-fi facility, laundry, banking facility with ATM counter and cooling system.
Ans. A total of 6 B.Tech specializations are offered by NIT Silchar. The courses offered are in the field of science and engineering. The undergraduate course offered is B.Tech across different branches like CS, Civil, Electrical, Electronics and Telecommunication, Mechanical and Electronics & Instrumentation.
Ans. The institute offers many facilities like Hostel, Library, Canteen, Transport, Sports, Auditorium, Clubs and Committees etc. The college has world-class infrastructure and highly experienced and well- educated faculty members.
Ans. Yes, a candidate has to clear the JEE Main entrance test in order to be eligible for the admission in B.Tech course at NIT Silchar. The other eligibility criteria are to clear the required cut off for the college.
Ans. Admissions to these programs will be based on eligibility and selection criteria set by the college. Students must be intermediate graduates with 75% marks with PCM/PCB or be in the top 20 percentile in the 12th class examination to pursue this course.