Last updated on September 30th, 2020 at 04:28 pm
National Institute of Technology Rourkela (NITR), popularly called NIT Rourkela is situated in Rourkela which is the third-largest city in Odisha, India. Over the years, National Institutes of Technology (NITs) with their mission of achieving excellence in the field of science and technology have accomplished the status of Institute of National Importance (INI) by the National Institutes of Technology, Science Education and Research Act, 2007.
NIT Rourkela offers more than 25 Bachelor and Masters Courses to students through JEE Main exam.
- NIT Rourkela is considered one of the top engineering institutes in India with NIRF (National Institutional Ranking Framework) ranking it on 16th position in the list of Engineering Institutes 2020.
- It always arrives among the creamy layer of the NITs and even surpassing the status of many tier-2 IITs (Indian Institutes of Technology).
- Going by its campus area, it is one of the largest campuses in India as it’s built on humongous 650 acres land with lush gardens, scenic beauty of union of Rourkela hills and gigantic swimming pool which becomes NIT Rourkela’s one of the biggest attractions for the students.
NIT Rourkela: Highlights
|Admission Process||JoSAA Counselling|
|Type of Programs Offered||UG, PG, Research (PhD), Part-time|
|Admission Criteria||JEE Main Exam + 12th Marks|
|Application Mode||Online Only (JoSAA Counselling)|
NIT Rourkela: Admissions via JEE Main
All the 31 NITs take admissions on the basis of JEE Main NTA Scores of candidates. Usually, the JEE Main Cut Off for NITs goes as high as 30,000. But National Institute of Technology Rourkela is a top-tier college with the best faculty, campus and placement. A student with a rank of 4,000 in JEE Main would have to bear great aggregates in 10th boards and 12th boards to even the competition for getting a seat in NIT Rourkela.
- The JEE Main Cut Off for NIT Rourkela are given below in this article.
- The high cut-offs mean that the candidates need to be prepared with all of JEE Main Syllabus.
- NTA has also launched an application for practising JEE Main Mock Tests, which can help with the preparation for JEE Main.
NIT Rourkela: Bachelor Courses Offered via JEE Main
Given below is the list of B.Tech Courses offered at NIT Rourkela via JEE Main Scores-
B.Tech Courses (4 Year)-
- Biomedical Engineering
- Biotechnology Engineering
- Ceramic Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Science and Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Electronics and Communication Engineering
- Electronics and Instrumentation Engineering
- Food Processing Engineering
- Industrial Design
- Mechanical Engineering
- Metallurgical and Materials Engineering
- Mining Engineering
Given below are a few details on Dual degree courses, integrated course and architecture course of NIT Rourkela. These seats in these courses are also allotted by JoSAA based on a candidate’s JEE Main Score/Rank.
Dual Degree Programmes at NIT Rourkela
- B.Tech + M.Tech Chemical Engineering
- B.Tech + M.Tech Mining Engineering
- B.Tech + M.Tech Metallurgical & Materials Science
- B.Tech + M.Tech Industrial Ceramics & Ceramic Engineering
Architecture Course at NIT Rourkela
- B. Arch
NIT Rourkela Cut Off For B.Tech Courses
The admission procedure is based on the performance of the student in Joint Entrance Examination – JEE Main. Thus, the cut-off list released by NIT-R after every round will show the minimum JEE Main AIR required by the candidate to get admission into the Institute. There are a total of 7 JoSAA Counselling rounds during which the final admission lists will display the opening and the closing ranks of candidates who have been offered admission from NIT Rourkela.
NIT Rourkela Cut Off For Top Courses – 2019 vs 2018
The following table shows the JEE Main cut off (closing ranks) after the final round of JoSAA Counselling in 2019 and 2018, which can help in assessing the approximate ranks that can get admission into NIT Rourkela in 2020.
|Course Name||2019 Closing Rank||2018 Closing Rank|
|B.Tech in Computer Science and Engineering||4115||3576|
|B.Tech Electrical Engineering||9875||9001|
|B.Tech Electronics and Communication Engineering||5674||5494|
|B.Tech Electronics and Instrumentation Engineering||12339||11996|
|B.Tech Mechanical Engineering||11825||9094|
|B.Sc + M.Sc Physics||16651||–|
|B.Sc + M.Sc Mathematics||24013||–|
|B.Tech + M.Tech Chemical Engineering||18067||–|
- As NIT Rourkela is one of the most renowned NITs with its excellence in academics and well- developed infrastructure, the competition and demand for this institute is of great value.
- Thus, the JEE Main cut-offs for NIT Rourkela is very high and only the cream layer of the brightest of the students are able to secure a seat in this prestigious institute.
- In fact, many times almost all the seats get filled immediately after the first cut off is displayed which highlights the cut-throat competition among the aspirants.
- JEE Main Cut off lists vary for the categories. A further reservation that divides the candidates into two halves is their place of residence – Home State Quota (residence in the same state as that of the Institute) and Other State Quota.
Latest News Updates
- JEE Main 2021: Mr Ramesh Pokhriyal Directs NTA to Draft a Fresh Syllabus
- JEE Main 2021 Delayed Till February, JEE Advanced 2021 Syllabus Being Reviewed
- JAC Delhi 2020 Counselling: Seat Allotment Result For Round 3 Declared
- IIT Kharagpur Will Conduct JEE Advanced 2021
- CSAB 2020 Special Rounds Counselling Schedule Released
Comparison of 2019 and 2018 Cut Offs
B.Tech Computer Science from NIT Rourkela is the most sought course by students
Do not get confused, the one with lower numbers is the better and most wanted course in NIT Rourkela. As visible, CSE and Electronics are much more competitive than other courses. With a rank of 3,000 to 4,000, a candidate is much more likely to get into an IIT as well!
B.Tech Food Processing is least opted and has low competition than others
As visible above, B.Tech courses least opted in NIT Rourkela have a cut off as high as 34000. This means out of 10 lac candidates, you have to be in top 30,000 to get the least opted courses of NIT Rourkela!
Also Read | IIT Delhi Cut Off
Dual Degree Courses offer better industry exposure
- There’s no doubt that a dual degree course is much more beneficial in terms of the right exposure to respective industries.
- The learning is improved and students take up internships in their core learning field. The cut off for most courses have decreased (higher closing rank) in 2019.
- This means the competition for Dual Degree B.Tech Courses in NIT Rourkela is much less now.
NIT Rourkela: Academics Amid COVID-19
The education sector has been affected very hard due to the COVID-19. However, NIT Rourkela has managed to begin their academic calendar for students of previous batches on time. NITR has also been conducting online exams for final year B.Tech students.
- National Institute of Technology Rourkela has developed and provided free hand sanitizers in the wake of COVID-19 pandemic.
- The college staff and faculty have worked on these social initiatives to curb the spread of coronavirus.
- College Authorities have also organised various webinars on COVID-19.
- Students have taken part in these webinars to improve the awareness of the COVID-19 and how the future in COVID era could be for education.
- The Biotechnology & Engineering Department conducted a webinar on COVID-19 showing a biotechnologist’s perspective on the whole chaos due to COVID-19.
- Lectures are being conducted for students through video conferencing portals such as Zoom, Google Meet, Cisco WebEx etc.
- The central library portal is also updated with the latest e-books.
- Students are being urged to utilise NPTEL Portal handled by IIT Chennai for free online lectures on engineering and other courses.
Why Choose NIT Rourkela?
There are many reasons to choose NIT rourkela like:
- NIT Rourkela is known for its top notch faculty and courses offered.
- It has a lush green campus nestled amongst the hills. So it’s a good chance to live amidst nature.
- The campus has all the facilities like bank, hospital, hostels, saloon, stationary shop, post office etc.
- 2 book fairs are conducted by NITR in a year. Students are offered INR 1000 as allowance money which can be used to buy books.
- NIT rourkela boasts of a very vibrant campus life. There are over 40 clubs and organizations.
NIT Rourkela Cut Off 2019 for B.Tech Specializations
Given below are tables showing NIT Rourkela cut off 2019 and 2018 of the popular courses according to rank allotted to different reserved and unreserved categories of the last round cut-offs.
Electronics and Instrumentation Engineering
|Category||NIT 2019 Cut Off||2018 Cut Off|
|Category||2019 Cut Off||2018 Cut Off|
Computer Science & Engineering
|Category||2019 Cut Off||2018 Cut Off|
Check NIT Trichy Cut Off
|Category||2019 Cut Off||2018 Cut Off|
Electronics and Communication Engineering
|Category||2019 Cut Off||2018 Cut Off|
|Category||2019 Cut Off||2018 Cut Off|
Check JEE Advanced Cut Off
Faculty at NIT Rourkela
NIT Rourkela has a total of 338 faculty members. This includes both regular and contractual faculty members. Almost 95% of the faculty members at NIT Rourkela are PhDs in their respective fields. Due to a large number of courses provided by NIT Rourkela, faculty members and PhD scholars of the institute receive grants and funding for their research on various projects.
- 4 faculty members of NIT Rourkela have won highly reputed awards from international organisations.
- The faculty-to-student ratio of the college has been 1:12. This shows that NIT Rourkela has enough teaching faculty to focus individually on each student.
- The high quality education and standard at NIT Rourkela has engaged bright students as well as faculty members.
- This has contributed to a regular growth of the college as per industry standard.
Various Facilities at NIT Rourkela
The NITR campus has various facilities for students, staff and faculty members. Due to its large campus of 650 acres, it has abundant facilities to improve the campus life and leisure activities. Given below are some of the important facilities of NIT Rourkela-
- Central Library –
- This library is called Biju Patnaik Central Library (BPCL) which has been functioning since 1965.
- The library is functional online as well and provides a large collection of books.
- It has been automated with RFID technology to make it easy for students to issue, return and renew books.
- Halls of Residence –
- The institute has 11 hostels, which includes 7 boys hostels, 2 girls hostels and 2 hostels to married students (research scholars).
- Moreover, the hostels are smartly designed to provide apt natural lighting for studies and have an abundance of flora around.
- Sports Stadiums –
- The college houses a football-hockey stadium named Dilip Tirkey Stadium.
- Other sports facilities include a cricket stadium, two tennis courts, a basketball court, gymnasium, and indoor courts for badminton, table tennis etc. Instructors for sports activities are also available to support and guide students.
- Swimming Pool –
- Although this should count in sports activities, the swimming pool at National Institute of Technology Rourkela is fully upgraded to host events on international level.
- This swimming pool has eight lanes with a size of 50m x 25m. Women’s swimming pool is also available at a women’s hostel with a size of 25m x 12m.
- Both the swimming pools are floodlit to provide ample lighting.
- Other facilities –
- There are tons of other facilities within the large campus.
- College has fully equipped canteens, shopping centre, health centre, post office, bank branches and ATMs, guest houses and security facilities.
NIT Rourkela Placements
NIT Rourkela has a well-funded and full-fledged placement committee called ‘The Training and Placement Department’. It works efficiently with the student body from all the departments.
- The department keeps track of the immediate needs and requirements of the students including interviews, group discussions, internships, research opportunities etc.
- This cell helps the graduating students in preparing thoroughly for the placement drives and making them trained as per the current market demands ensuring that the students have a great career ahead.
- The graduates from NIT Rourkela are recruited by not just Indian Companies but also Foreign Institutions and they perform exceptionally well everywhere.
- Some companies even make Pre-Placement Offers (PPO) to the interning students according to their performance.
|Average Package||INR 8 LPA|
|Highest Package||42 LPA|
|Number of Companies Recruiting||200|
Top Recruiters at NIT Rourkela Placements
Some of the top recruiters at NIT Rourkela are Amazon TATA, BHEL (Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited), Microsoft, Dell, Ford, Texas, Larsen & Toubro Limited, M&M, Texas Instruments, Bajaj, Honda, ABB (ASEA Brown Boveri), Axis Bank, Wipro, Deloitte, Coca-Cola, Hero, Fiat, Indian Oil, Essar, Infosys, Intel, IBM (International Business Machines), Airtel, Bharat Petroleum, Mahindra. Nokia, Jio, PepsiCo, Reliance Industries Limited, and Suzuki.
The students of NITR have got placements in the following major sectors and industries-
- Research and Development (R&D) Organizations
- Banking and Finance Sector
- Information Technology (IT) Services
- Fast-Moving Consumer Goods (FMCG)
- Consulting and Analytics Firms
- Business and Administration
- Trading, Sales and Marketing, and many more
NIT Rourkela Scholarships
NIT Rourkela provides financial assistance to the students of higher learning from a lower economic status and also to the brightest students of various programmes. The commendable undergraduate students have the option of availing for a couple of scholarships which are offered by different entities:
- Post-Matric Scholarships (PMS) given by Odisha Government (only for SC/ST students)
- Merit Scholarships are given by Odisha Government (for all students)
- Top Class Scholarships (TCS) given by Tata Consultancy Service (for all the students)
- National Talent Scholarship (NTS) given by Government of India
- TCS scholarship for Computer Science and Engineering students
- Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC) Scholarship
- Indian Oil Scholarship
- Balmer Lawrie & Co. Ltd. (BL) Scholarship
- OP Jindal Engineering and Management Scholarship (OPJEMS)
NIT Rourkela Fees Structure
Given below is the fee structure for B.Tech, B.Arch and Dual Degree B.Tech courses at NIT Rourkela for the academic year 2019-2020. Students can find the complete fee structure on the official website as well.
|Type||1st semester (INR)||2nd to 8th semester (INR)|
|Admission fee(one time)||2500||0|
|Other fees (Exam. Library Electricity .etc)||5000||5000|
|Student Activity fee||2000||2000|
|Hostel Seat Rent||5000||5000|
|Caution money (one time Refundable)||10000||0|
|Institute Emergency Fund (one time fee)||12500||0|
|Hall Establishment Fee||5000||5000|
|Mess Dues (approx.)||17500||17500|
- Tuition Fees for SC/ST/PwD students and those students whose annual family income is less than INR 1 lac is completely exempt.
- Tuition Fees for students whose annual family income is between 1 lac to 5 lac is INR 20,833 i.e 2/3rd reimbursed.
- For hostel and mess facility, relevant scholarships and financial assistance can be availed by students from weak financial backgrounds.
- Tuition Fee for Integrated M.Sc students is INR 7500. All other heads are the same as B.Tech.
- First year fee is adjusted from the JoSAA Seat Booking Charges category-wise.
International Students at NIT Rourkela
Every year hundreds of students from other countries like Singapore, Malaysia, Maldives, Saudi Arabia etc., flock towards the prestigious NIT Rourkela to experience the quality education provided by the institute. This even adds the diversity of the campus with students from different cultures and languages coming together in this melting point of NIT-R. The students from foreign countries can apply for the courses through various programmes organized by student and governmental bodies like:
- DASA (Direct Admission of Students from Abroad)
- MEA (Ministry of External Affairs)
- ICCR (Indian Council for Cultural Relations)
This information given here will help you understand the level of competition to get admission into a good NIT Rourkela Bachelor Course through JEE Main. The highest closing rank in JEE Main for NIT Rourkela was in the Chemical Engineering Branch which goes as high as 18,000 for the general category. To get this rank, the students must utilise the tips and tricks for JEE Main wisely. There are some android apps for JEE Main which aspirants can use to excel their score in JEE Main. All the best!
Answer: The placement statistics for software and circuital branches are very good. Almost all the students get recruited and over 70% students get an internship.
Answer: NITR is a very good college and in CSE almost all the students get places while around 65% of the students are placed at top notch companies. Thus, it can be said that NIT Rourkela is very good for CSE.
Answer: NIT Rourkela is a fully residential college. Thus, it will be necessary for you to stay at the college hostel. Permission to stay away is given under rare circumstances.