Declared as an institute of National importance, NIT Delhi was established in the year 2010, under the act of parliament. National Institute of Technology Delhi (NIT- Delhi) is among the thirty NITs of the country.
- The institute ranks 251st among the top engineering colleges by the NIRF and ranks 25th by India Today among the 30 engineering colleges in India.
- NIT Delhi started its academic session with only three disciplines for B.Tech degree programs in Computer Science and Engineering, Electronics and Communication Engineering, and Electrical and Electronics Engineering.
- Admission in various B.tech programs in NIT Delhi is done via JEE Main followed by JoSAA Counselling.
- The highest placement package recorded was INR 42 LPA.
Read the following article to get a better understanding of the admission process, placements, cut off and so on.
NIT Delhi Highlights
|Type||Public Technical University (Autonomous)|
|Type of programs||UG, PG, Doctorate|
|Courses offered||B-Tech, M-Tech, PhD|
|Admission Criteria||JEE Main and 10+2 (for B-Tech)|
|Highest Placement Package||INR 42LPA|
|Top Recruiters||Paytm, Amazon, Ask IT Services, etc.|
|Facilities||Auditoriums, Lecture Halls, Canteens, Gym, etc.|
NIT Delhi: B.Tech Admissions through JEE Main
NIT Delhi offers admission to the students based on marks and rank secured in JEE Main. Every year exam is conducted by NTA (National Testing Agency) for IITs, NITs, GFTIs, and other universities across the country. The number of seats is very less in the NITs. Hence, the seat offers only to the deserving candidate.
B.Tech Courses offered by NIT Delhi
Like all the NITs, IIITs, GFTIs, NIT Delhi offers B.tech courses for a duration of 4 years. The B.tech course is offered in various disciplines:
- Computer Science and Engineering
- Electronics and Communication
- Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Applied Sciences
Eligibility for B.Tech courses at NIT Delhi
Candidates must possess a minimum of 75% in 10+2 with a science stream or get top 20 percentile to be eligible to appear for JEE Main. However, due to the novel coronavirus, this year 2020, candidates are required to pass 10+2 from the science stream from a recognized board to appear for JEE Main. Check JEE Main Eligibility Criteria
NTA announces a minimum cut-off to be eligible for applying to JoSAA counseling.
Admission Process via of NIT Delhi
- As soon as the results are announced by NTA for JEE Main, candidates have to register at JoSAA.
- Joint Seat Allocation Authority (JoSAA) is responsible for conducting all the admission related counseling for all the NITs, IITs, and other autonomous government universities.
- JoSAA releases a minimum cut-off for all the universities participating for admissions through JEE Main and JEE Advanced 2020. It releases different cut-offs for different programs. Also, there is a reservation for some candidates.
- Candidates securing above the cut off are eligible to apply for JoSAA counseling. After confirmation of the admission, a candidate has to report at the college with all the important documents, original and photocopies for the verification process, and fee payment.
NIT Delhi Cut off for Top Courses
NIT Delhi usually has a high JEE Main cut off for the top courses of the institute. The data of 2020 has not yet been declared due to the delay of the JEE Mains April round of examinations. So, here is the list of the cut off (round 7) of the 2019 general category to give you a tentative idea.
|Course Offered||Home State||Other States|
|Computer Science and Engineering||5421-10970||5901-7286|
|Electronics and Communication Engineering||13482-18729||9099-12016|
|Electrical and Electronics Engineering||20119- 24438||12360- 15661|
Study at NIT Delhi during COVID -19
Though COVID-19 has taken away the physical classrooms but the will to teach and learn has not to be taken away. Due to the pandemic spread in the country, NIT Delhi switched to digital teachings.
- The institute has started its teaching using various platforms such as Zoom, adobe connect, and google classroom.
- Classes of all the students are being conducted online. Regular lectures, tests, and assignments are being conducted by the institute on digital platforms.
- The institute has opened doors of e-library for the students so that they can get access to their course material without any hustle.
Why NIT Delhi?
- NIT Delhi is among the top 30 thirty NITs of the country. It is ranked 25th among the top 30 engineering colleges of India by India Today and 251st among the top 300 engineering colleges in India by NIRF2019.
- The institute offers various programs such as B.Tech, M.Tech, Doctoral Programmes, and the programs for applied sciences.
- The institute has witnessed a good placement record and promises to maintain its legacy of providing quality education to its students.
- The institute promotes a holistic development and prepares them for the industry.
- NIT Delhi has on-campus hostels for the students. It has separate buildings for the hostels of boys and girls. Every hostel has a warden to take in-charge of the hostels.
- The institute also organizes various events such as Tech fest, cultural fest, and various sports meet as well.
NIT Delhi Cut off for B.Tech Specializations
JoSAA releases different cut off during the counseling rounds. The number of rounds are also decided by the Joint Seat Allocation Authority. In the case of vacant seats, it also announces some special rounds. Here is the list of cut off for admissions in B. Tech at NIT Delhi.
NIT Delhi Cut off for Computer Science and Engineering
|Category||Home State||Other States|
|General- Pwd||1879- 1879||–|
NIT Delhi Cut off Electronics and Communication Engineering
|Category||Home State||Other States|
|General- Pwd||–||442 – 442|
NIT Delhi Cut off Electrical and Electronics Engineering
|Category||Home State||Other States|
|General||20119- 24438||12360- 15661|
|OBC||10188- 11818||4482- 5319|
|SC||4941- 6346||2251- 2903|
Latest News Updates
- TNEA 2020 Online Counselling Registration Begins from July 15
- SRMJEEE 2020 Cancelled Amid COVID-19
- Live Update: JEE Main and JEE Advanced 2020 Postponed, New Dates Set For September
- Turn Lockdown Period Into An Opportunity”, says Anand Kumar of Super 30 to JEE Aspirants
- JEE Main 2020: Dates announced by the MHRD, Examination to be conducted from July 18 to 23, 2020
Reservations through JEE Main Counseling ( JoSAA)
Every institute has some seats reserved for the candidates from weaker sections of the society. JoSAA decides the number of seats reserved for this category. Here is the detail of the JEE Main reservation percentage for categories:
|OBC- NCL(Candidates whose family income is less than 8 lakhs per annum )||27%|
|EWS( General Economically Weaker Section)||5%|
|Pwd (in all categories)||10%|
Faculty at NIT Delhi
- With the bunch of best and experienced faculty from across the country, the classroom program offers immense opportunities to grow.
- The university has a rich teaching background.
- Faculties itself are passed out from IITs and different NITs.
- The university has experienced and dedicated teachers.
- Every department has a well-educated faculty who is an expert in its respective fields.
Facilities at NIT Delhi
Labs: The institute has well-equipped laboratories in every department. The laboratories are fully air-conditioned with the latest devices for every department. The labs have high-speed internet which connects all buildings, including hostels and the research area of the campus. Electronics and Mechanical department of the institute also deals with providing knowledge based on the latest trends and technology.
Library: The campus has a very big library. The library has a large collection of Reference books, textbooks, technical reports, journals, various fictional and technical magazines as well. The library is being managed by the Library Management. Also, students are provided books for the whole semester from the library.
Digital Library: The institute also has a well- managed digital library. There are many text and reference books available in digital format. Students can access them at this digital library.
Dining Facilities: There is a mess on campus that provides healthy and nutritious food to the students. Boys and Girls Hostel has a separate mess. Students are allowed to dine in their respective mess. Mess tries to provide whole and nutritious food to the students.
Gym: The campus has Gym facilities for the students. Students can do their work out and have fun doing exercises. Apart from the open gym on the campus, there is a separate gym for girls in the girls’ hostel.
Sports: The campus provides facilities for various sports such as cricket, volleyball, soccer, basketball, table tennis, football, etc. Students are encouraged to play and take part in inter-college competitions.
Clubs: Campus life provides a lot of fun activities along with studies. There are different clubs such as technical club, art club, drama, music, and other social clubs for encouraging extracurricular activities among students.
NIT Placement Reports
NIT Delhi has a good placement record. Institute has a dedicated Training and Placement Centre which is headed by the professor and the student representatives. Also, the companies have a very good link with the institute. Every year a lot of companies approach the instate for on-campus recruitment of the students. Here is the data from the year 2019.
|Course (B.Tech)||Statistics (2019)|
|Highest package||INR 32 LPA|
|Average Package||INR 7 LPA|
|Median Package||INR 5.3 LPA|
NIT Delhi Placements Highlights 2019
NIT Delhi has quite good placement reports. Every year many companies approach the institute to recruit students.
- The highest package of batch 2019 was 42 LPA.
- The average package of a class is 7 LPA.
- The median Package is 5.7 LPA.
|AKS IT services||PAYTM|
|MAQ Software||TOFFLER and many more|
NIT Delhi Fees for B.Tech Courses Offered
|One time refundable caution deposit||10,000|
|One time fees||1,100|
|Tuition Fees (per semester )||62,500|
|Other Fees (Per Semester)||11,200|
|Hostel Caution Deposit- One time Refundable Fees||10,000|
|Mess Caution Money||10,000|
|One Time Fees||500|
|Hostel Rent (per sem)||2500|
|Electricity and Water Charges||5000|
|Other fees (per sem)||2500|
Note: Mess Advances will be charged extra per semester.
Scholarships offered at NIT Delhi
NIT Delhi offers various National Fellowships and Scholarships for the students who aspire to be part of the institute. The institute offers scholarships to students with weaker financial status.
Here are some of the fellowships and scholarships offered by NIT Delhi:
- National Scholarship for Higher Education for Scheduled Tribe(ST) students.
- National e- scholarships portal
- National Fellowship and Scholarship for Higher Education of ST Students.
Note: For complete details of the scholarships and fellowship go the official website: https://nitdelhi.ac.in/
Frequently Asked Questions on NIT Delhi
Updated onAns. NIT is also a government university established in 2010. The university has a high placement record, good infrastructure, and a lot of facilities. Moreover, it is the national capital so the industry exposure is way better than any other university.
Ans. Yes, there is a reservation for some categories in NIT Delhi. Please refer to the table above in the article on Reservations in NIT Delhi.
Ans. NIT Delhi has a good placement percentage with the highest offered package of INR 42 LPA and a median package of 5.7 LPA.