Last updated on January 18th, 2021 at 12:20 pm
One of the top engineering institutes, National Institute of Technology Calicut (NITC) aims at offering superior quality education in the field of science and technology and teach basic engineering principles and managerial skills to the budding engineers. NIT Calicut is well-known for meeting global teaching standards.
Even the NIT Calicut campus is quite beautiful and offers a comfortable and fresh environment for the students to study and live here. The campus is established in the foothills of the Western Ghats.
- Running equivalently with the top-tier IITs, presently, more than 44 courses at various UG, postgraduate and PhD levels are offered to the qualifying students.
- NIT Calicut placements in this academic year registered a significant surge in placements as compared to the last years’ records.
- This year, more than 600 NIT-C students got placed by renowned companies in the country and abroad.
- The Annual packages vary from INR 5 lakh to INR 50 lakh.
- NITC has formed several national and foreign tie-ups with different companies and institutions for carrying academic, innovative, and research work.
- Ranked 23rd by NIRF in the engineering category, NIT Calicut imparts education to 4736 male and female candidates.
- Along with that the institute houses approximately 300 highly educated faculty members.
In the following article let us delve deeper and know everything about NIT Calicut in detail.
- IIT Guwahati: Admissions Criteria, Process and More
- Why Choose IIT Dharwad to Pursue B. Tech Courses?
NIT Calicut – Highlights
|Type of Programs||B. Arch, B.Tech , M.Sc, M.Tech, etc.|
|Admission Criteria||JEE Main, GATE, XAT, etc.|
|Application Mode||Online, Offline|
|Mode of education||Regular, part-time|
|Number of courses offered||Many|
NIT Calicut: B.Tech Admissions via JEE Main
Admissions at the National Institute of Technology Calicut are strictly given according to the individual’s score in the JEE Main exam. However, the last and final procedure to select the candidates will be based on their performance in JoSAA Counselling.
B.Tech Courses offered by NIT Calicut
NIT Calicut offers B.Tech Courses in 10 disciplines. In addition to B. Tech, NIT Calicut also offers MCA, B.Arch, MBA, M.Tech, M.Sc, M.Plan, PhD, etc. The various specialisations in B.Tech courses are as follows:
- Computer Science And Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Electrical And Electronics Engineering
- Material Science Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Electronics & Communication Engineering
- Engineering Physics
- Civil Engineering
- Production Engineering
- B.Tech Courses Offered at IIT Ropar
- Advantage of Pursuing Dual Degree (B.Tech + M.Tech) in IIT Kharagpur
Eligibility for B.Tech
- The candidates planning to pursue a UG course at NIT Calicut need to obtain a minimum of 75% in class 12th or top 20 percentile in their respective boards.
- Also, candidates who have completed their graduation degree can apply for a PG course offered here.
- The individual’s scores in JEE Main will be recorded while shortlisting them amongst others for B. Tech courses offered at NIT Calicut.
- Along with pursuing a course at a UG and PG level, the students can also have an option to do a PhD.
NIT Calicut Cut Off for Top B.Tech Courses
The NIT Calicut cut off 2020 for various B. Tech specializations is tabulated below. The cut off given here is for Round 6 for the general category.
|Courses||Other State||Home State|
|Computer Science and Engineering)||3682||9703|
|Electrical and Electronics Engineering||11805||23573|
|Electronics and Communication Engineering||6864||17119|
|Materials Science and Engineering||31721||41264|
Study At NIT Calicut During COVID-19
The National Institute of Technology Calicut also started taking online classes like many other colleges and universities due to the Covid-19 pandemic across the country. The institute completed taking online examinations for more than 1,000 students.
- More than half of the examinations, including internal assignments and midterm tests, were already completed before the announcement of the lockdown.
- The evaluation of the assignments and exams that were taken online was done in July-August.
- NIT-C placements were not affected by the pandemic and around 650 students received placement offers in 2020.
- Why Opting NIT Trichy After JEE Main Is A Decent Alternative To IITs?
- Check How NIT Uttarakhand is Functioning During COVID-19
Why choose NIT Calicut?
There are many reasons to choose NIT Calicut.
- Approval – Ministry of Human Resource Development [MHRD]
- Approvals- NIRF
- Exams- JEE, GATE, PHd exams
- The placement rate for the last academic year at the institute was wonderful.
- Some of the recruiters include Toubro, Infosys, Intel, Larsen, Maruti Suzuki, Tata Consultancy Services, among others.
- Numerous scholarships to the students pursuing UG, PG and PhD courses get scholarships to continue their studies.
- 27% of the total seats are booked for OBC, 7.5% for the students belonging to ST category, 15% for SC while a few seats are reserved for the candidates belonging to economically weaker sections of the society.
NIT Calicut Cut off for B.Tech Specializations
JEE Main cut off list for 2021 will be announced only by the institute when the JEE Main results are announced. Till then, all the test-takers are advised to check the JEE Main cut off for 2020 to get more educated.
The closing cut off rank for admission into some of the top courses at NIT Calicut is mentioned below.
Electrical and Electronics Engineering
Electronics and Communication Engineering
Computer Science and Engineering
Latest News Updates
- Key Takeaways From Education Minister’s Webinar On JEE Main 2021 Examination
- JEE Main 2021: Live Session With Education Minister Extended To December 10th
- Uttarakhand Government To Provide Free Coaching Classes For JEE Aspirants
- JEE Main 2021: Mr Ramesh Pokhriyal Directs NTA to Draft a Fresh Syllabus
- JEE Main 2021 Delayed Till February, JEE Advanced 2021 Syllabus Being Reviewed
Material Science and Engineering
By considering the previous years’ NIT cutoffs, the students can have a better understanding of the cut off list of the B. Tech courses.
NIT Calicut: Reservation Through JEE Main Counselling (JoSAA)
Joint Seat Allocation Authority is the body responsible to take Counselling and Seat Allocation Process. It does the process on behalf of all the IITs, GFTIs, NITs, and IIITs.
Students who get a good score in JEE Main will be called for JoSAA Counseling. Let us look at JEE Main Reservation on the basis category.
|Category||Reservation Of Seats (In Percentage)|
|Candidates belonging to OBC category||27%|
|PwD (having disability of greater than 40%)||5%|
Only the ones who have obtained good scores in JEE Main 2021 will be asked to take part in the counselling.
Faculty at NIT Calicut
The National Institute of Technology Calicut appoints an experienced and well-educated team of professors and teachers who can share their knowledge and experiences with the students.
- Apart from the 100 members, there are additional members in the faculty of about 40 years of age.
- Most of these members are PhD holders with relative industry experience and others have a minimum Masters degree.
- Teachers are very interactive and clear students’ doubts.
Various Facilities Offered at NIT Calicut Campus
The campus at NIT Calicut is amongst the best campuses across the country. Students studying here can enjoy several facilities with the state of the art infrastructure. Also, the campus is world-known for offering the best facilities for research work and for the same it has formed numerous national and international alliances.
- Extracurricular Activities:
- The main attraction at the NIT Calicut campus is its extra-curricular activities. Sports are given equal importance at NITC.
- Also, the NITC sports teams are selected, trained and given enough exposure to showcase their skills through several tournaments.
- Another key highlight of the NIT Calicut campus is its central library.
- The NITC central library has a collection of more than 1 lakh books and close to 200 national and international journals.
- Another name of the central library of NIT Calicut is the NALANDA Digital Library.
- There are 15 hostels with attached dining hall at NIT Calicut, out of which the majority of the hostels are for the male students while a few are for the female students.
- All hostels have a reading room, common room to study, etc. that helps students to establish stronger bonds with their roommates.
- Additional Facilities:
- Some other facilities at the NIT Calicut campus include a medical centre, ATM facility, post office, canteen, bank, etc.
NIT Calicut Placements
NIT Calicut has witnessed a growth in placements in 2020. The statistics for 2019-20 have been released by the institute recently. Amazon, Microsoft, Morgan Stanley, J.P Morgan, Oracle ST Tech etc. were some of the top recruiters who visited the campus.
|No. of Students Placed||645|
|Average Package Offered||11.58 LPA|
|Highest Package Offered||49.95 LPA|
|Number of Companies||Over 133|
- Placements at Mizoram University
- IIIT Sonepat: Facilities, Placements and More
- Placement Record of NIT Nagpur
NIT Calicut Scholarships Offered
NIT Calicut grants several scholarships to the ones who are qualified and deserve additional funding to sponsor their studies.
- NIT Calicut scholarships are given to the meritorious students and candidates who are facing difficulty supporting their further studies.
- It provides Merit-cum-means scholarship to the selected and deserving students.
- The candidates are eligible to apply for the same by visiting the NSP Portal where it is essential to submit the proof of income certificate.
- Some of the types of scholarships offered to the student include:
- IMFA Scholarship for Students from Odisha State
- Scholarship to the disabled students studying in 1st year
- Silver Jubilee Endowment Trust Scholarships, etc.
- The day scholars can get financial aid worth INR 25,000 each annum through NITC merit-cum-means scholarship; however, a hostel student is entitled to get INR 30,000 each year.
NIT Calicut Fee Structure for B.Tech Courses
NIT Calicut fees for B.Tech courses is mentioned below:
|Particulars||Amount in INR|
|Rent/Electricity/Water Charges/Mess Charges||20000|
|Registration Fee (One-time Fee)||500|
NIT Calicut FAQs
Answer: There are 61 seats for students from Kerala and 62 seats for students from all over India.
Answer: Yes, NIT Calicut is very good for Computer Science Engineering, students with around 7 CGPA have 100% placements chances.
Ans. Candidates must qualify the JEE Main exam with a good score to get admission in NIT Calicut.
Ans. According to the official website, almost 145 engineering seats are reserved for foreign students.
Ans. The Joint Seat Allocation Authority (JoSAA) takes care to announce the cutoff for NITs as well