Last updated on December 29th, 2020 at 01:13 pm
JEE Main is an All India competitive examination conducted by NTA for admissions to various undergraduate engineering and architecture colleges. These mainly constitute-
- Government Funded Technical Institutes (GFTIs),
- Indian Institute of Information Technology (IIITs) and
- National Institutes of Technology (NITs)
- JEE Main 2021 February session will be conducted from 23rd February 2021 to 26th February 2021.
- JEE Main 2021 will be conducted in 4 sessions in February, March, April and May.
- NTA has also modified the JEE Main exam pattern for 2021. Read More
While to get into an IIT, one must qualify JEE Main first and then JEE Advanced. Only the top 2.5 lac rankers of JEE Main are qualified for JEE Advanced. Low Rank in JEE Main is often demotivating for students. Very few students are hopeful of a suitable college at low ranks.
- Due to the popularity of engineering and architecture degrees among Indian masses, the level of competition and difficulty of JEE Main is extremely high, imposing high pressure on the aspirants.
- To increase the chances of scoring a better percentile rank and reputed college, most candidates choose to appear for both JEE Main January Session and JEE Main April Session. However, NTA has increased the number of sessions from 2 to 4 times a year.
- The students have a limit of appearing for JEE Main only thrice in successive years.
- Given the limited options for students, we shall discuss on the alternatives in case you score a low rank in JEE Main.
- Here we will discuss 6 options which might motivate students even in case of a low rank.
For starters, JEE Main exam is for three hours and includes three papers:
- Paper 1: Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics – for B.E./BTech courses
- Paper 2: Mathematics, Aptitude, Drawing – for B.Arch course
- Paper 3: Mathematics, Aptitude, Planning – for B.Planning course
Students can check the official and latest updates regarding the JEE Main 2021 on the official website – jeemain.nta.nic.in – as well. Let us now discuss those 6 options.
Six Option Other than JEE Main
- Most of the students believe that IITs is the only best option from JEE Main/Advanced.
- IITs do offer more than 11,000 seats in various courses.
- But the competition gets very high as IITs also consider 10+2 scores of students before admissions.
- Out of the 10 lac students taking the exam, very few students find a suitable college with the desired course.
- Even after IITs and NITs there are various alternatives for students.
- For example, BITS Pilani has an average package of 14 LPA for B.Tech courses.
- So let us discuss some fancy alternatives in detail below.
1. Admission to NITs
- Students aspiring to gain admission in the top NITs in India require a rank below 10,000.
- However, it is possible to get into other NITs with a rank above 50,000 also.
- Below is a table that provides insight on the closing ranks of numerous NITs for All India candidates based on previous year admissions:
|Name of The Institute||Course Details||Closing Rank 2020||Category|
|NIT Agartala||Chemical Engineering||44090||General-Neutral|
|NIT Agartala||Civil Engineering||45385||General-Neutral|
|NIT Agartala||Computer Science and Engineering||18351||General-Neutral|
|NIT Agartala||Mechanical Engineering||37614||General-Neutral|
|NIT Goa||Civil Engineering||35494||General-Neutral|
|NIT Goa||Mechanical Engineering||26295||General-Neutral|
|NIT Hamirpur||Chemical Engineering||37008||General-Neutral|
|NIT Hamirpur||Civil Engineering||36331||General-Neutral|
|NIT Raipur||Civil Engineering||37275||Open|
|NIT Meghalaya||Civil Engineering||45277||General-Neutral|
|NIT Meghalaya||Computer Science and Engineering||17848||General-Neutral|
2. Prepare The Best Back-up Option:
- The students MUST plan and prepare for a back-up option before the exam results are out.
- This ensures that they will not lose hope if they score low, as they have a direction on what to do next.
- There are good options like giving State level examinations such as MHT CET, UPSEE, WBJEE, KCET, COMEDK. (For Example: With a good score in WBJEE, candidates can get admission in IIEST Shibpur, West Bengal for Mtech or Btech programmes)
- Students also have the option to prepare for examinations conducted by other esteemed universities like UPESEAT for BTech Programme at the University of Petroleum & Energy Studies, VITEEE for Vellore Institute of Technology, KIITEE for KIIT University Engineering Programme and many more.
Few Details About Other Exams:
- It is usually conducted in the second week of May.
- The main criteria for students are to have 12th PCM with 50% for GEN & 45% for (OBC/SC/ST).
- BITSAT will be conducted in May 2021.
- It gives admission to students in engineering programs at BITS Pilani (Pilani, Goa, Hyderabad campuses).
- The students are required to have 75% marks in 12th PCM to be eligible.
- It is conducted in April by the Vellore Institute of Technology.
- Also, it requires students to possess 12th PCM with 60% for GEN and 50% for (OBC/SC/ST). It’s a common entrance for different campuses like VIT Vellore, VIT Chennai, VIT-AP and VIT Bhopal.
- The selection is done on the basis of merit and number of seats.
- It is conducted by SRM University. SRM Colleges take admissions on JEE Main Rankings as well, along with 100% scholarships to top rankers of JEE Main.
- SRMJEEE is comparatively an easier exam with approximately 1.5 lac candidates appearing for the exam.
- The highest package from SRM Chennai was 42 LPA for the year 2020.
- Other Exams:
- Examinations like KCET (conducted in the 1st week of May), EAMCET and AP-EAMCET ( both conducted in the 4th week of April) and WBJEE (conducted in April) require students to present the domicile certificate of the state:
- Karnataka domicile or 7 Years of Studies in Karnataka for KCET.
- Andhra Pradesh domicile for EAMCET and AP EAMCET.
- West Bengal domicile is required for WBJEE.
- Students can get admissions to top-tier state-engineering colleges through these exams!
Latest News Updates
- Key Takeaways From Education Minister’s Webinar On JEE Main 2021 Examination
- JEE Main 2021: Live Session With Education Minister Extended To December 10th
- Uttarakhand Government To Provide Free Coaching Classes For JEE Aspirants
- JEE Main 2021: Mr Ramesh Pokhriyal Directs NTA to Draft a Fresh Syllabus
- JEE Main 2021 Delayed Till February, JEE Advanced 2021 Syllabus Being Reviewed
3. Choose Other Universities
- It is not pivotal to gain admission in any IIT or NIT to garner the best education.
- There are numerous other universities with excellent faculty that can enrich candidates’ education.
- Students must consider various parameters before choosing a college.
- These parameters include:
- Talented and experienced faculty can make all the difference in a student’s college life.
- The teacher-student ratio should be optimal so that each student receives enough personal attention to grow.
- The curriculum should have an appropriate balance between theory and practical knowledge along with adhering with the norms and demands of the industry.
- Both of these factors play a crucial role in the employment of candidates in future.
- Alumni Association:
- A university with a strong alumni base ensures that there is a campus recruitment drive.
- Most alumni prefer to employ those candidates that have graduated from the same institution.
- The last but not the least comes infrastructure.
- Also, the students need to opt for universities that offer several top-notch facilities to students.
- Modern laboratories with technological equipment, libraries, work-place.
- It also observed that the residential campus plays an important role in a student’s environment.
Government and Private Institutions Other Than IITs or NITs
- Based on the factors stated above, students can choose any prestigious private or government university or college.
- These colleges have notable alumni, vast infrastructure and reputed faculty.
- Given below is the list of few of such colleges-
|Private Institutes||Government Institutes (or Autonomous)|
|Jaypee Institute of Information Technology, Noida||IIIT, Amethi|
|Lovely Professional University||IIIT, Allahabad|
|Birla Institute of Technology (BITS)||Jaipur University|
|SRM University||MJPRU, Bareilly|
|Manipal Institute of Technology||Assam University|
|UPES, Dehradun||Tezpur University|
|Thapar University||IIIT, Gwalior|
|Amity University||Shri Mata Vaishno Devi University, Jammu Tawi|
|Shiv Nadar University||IIITDM, Kancheepuram|
|Kalinga Institute, Odisha||School of Planning and Architecture, New Delhi|
|Vivekananda Global University, Jaipur||College of Engineering, Pune|
|JSS, Noida||Dr MGR University, Chennai|
4. Choose Non-Engineering Options
- Some consider the engineering sector to be saturated, the non-engineering options are ever popular.
- Many students are opting for programmes like BS-MS Dual Degree Programme in IISERs.
- The Government of India, (MHRD) has established seven IISERs (Institutes of Science Education and Research) at locations like Pune, Bhopal, Kolkata etc.
- They offer a five-year full-time programme for students after 12th grade.
- The degree perfectly combines classroom learning with research projects.
- There is clear demarcation regarding the learning concepts, specialisation for every year.
- The first and second year mainly develops the core courses in basic sciences of the students which are highly beneficial in the long run.
- Students have to choose their specialisation in the third and fourth year and give their complete dedication to it.
- The last year completely focuses on the research project
5. Choose an Upcoming Field
- Apart from choosing the typical engineering option like civil engineering, chemical engineering, mechanical or software engineering, students have an option to choose different professional streams.
- These career paths have a high reputation, employment rate and even handsome salary which attracts numerous students.
- B.Sc in Business Analytics:
- By using a range of statistical and quantitative methods, business analysts intend to turn big data into actionable intelligence.
- Business Analytics degrees are offered by several renowned universities in the USA such as Massachusetts Institute of Technology, UCLA, UC Davis, University of Rochester.
- There is a dire demand for data scientists and business analysts in India to deal with the enormous amounts of data that is collected by top companies.
- Students with an inkling towards mathematics and business can choose this as a career option.
- Courses Options:
- In some cases, students decide to take a break and prepare for the JEE Main exam next year.
- It is advised while doing so, they can pursue any of the various diploma options available.
- These courses are available online as well as offline (classroom setting).
- Physical Sciences:
- This is a new and promising field that revolves around the atmosphere, space, earth, etc.
- Diverse fields like Meteorology, Astronomy, Disaster Management fall under this category.
- Institutions like TISS and NIDM offer courses in them.
- Those students with a science stream background, consisting of chemistry and physics with an option in maths or biology can choose this as a career.
- Nanotechnology can also be combined with the IT sector.
- Various universities in India as well as abroad are offering these courses.
6. Take A Drop Year
- Most of the people are given the same advice of dropping a year to focus on the preparation for JEE Main next year.
- Before deciding to take a year off, the students must consider their options smartly.
- It is vital to understand that students should not be influenced or pressurized to make such a serious decision.
- For those who decide to go ahead with drop year, it is advised not only to prepare for JEE Main but also divert their attention to certain skills that will be fruitful in future.
- They can take up internships, courses on management, data science, coding and many others that will surely enhance their resume.
- Students scoring low should recognize their weak points and develop a full-proof strategy that will ensure that they convert these weaknesses to strengths.
Remember to never lose focus on your aspirations and desires; regardless of the current situation, you are in. Your hard work, perseverance and determination can make reality possible.
Last updated on September 16th, 2020 at 12:00 pm
Answer: Usually, a rank above 50,000 is considered to be a low rank.
Last updated on September 16th, 2020 at 12:00 pm
Answer: You can check the JEE Main colleges opening and closing ranks of previous years to get an idea about the college that you can expect to get admission in.
Last updated on December 29th, 2020 at 12:03 pm
Answer: Yes, a lot of private options offer direct admission without JEE Main 2021. These colleges include Lovely Professional University, Uttarakhand University, Raffles University, Mody University etc.
Last updated on December 29th, 2020 at 12:05 pm
Answer: There are less chances of getting B.Tech Computer Science and Engineering at NIT with ranks above 50,000. As per the cut off of previous years, only 2-3 colleges had a closing rank of above 50,000 for this course.