With the announcement of JEE Advanced results, the race to get admissions in the top-most colleges of the country among the students has finally started. The candidates planning to get admission to the prestigious colleges are confused regarding the general admission procedure, refunds, reporting, sliding, freezing, etc among other uncountable lists of queries. Once the result for the JEE Main and JEE Advanced gets announced, the institutes will start with the counselling process. The counselling will be organized by Joint Seat Allocation Authority, JoSAA 2020 and the students who want to participate in counselling have to register online for the same.
What is JoSAA?
The Ministry of Human Resources Development (MHRD) established the Joint Seat Allocation Authority (JoSAA) in 2016 so that managing and conducting the counselling and allocation of seats to the eligible candidates for JEE Main and JEE Advanced can be streamlined. This way the qualifying candidates will be allotted the seats to get admissions in the participating institutes including IITs, NITs, IIITs and other GFTIs. Presently 92 institutes take part in the JoSAA Counselling. JoSAA streamlines the seat allotment process for admissions to more than 30,000 undergraduate engineering seats. The eligible students who meet the eligibility criteria get seats based on their category and on qualifying the JEE Main/Advanced across IITs, NITs, IIITs and GFTIs.
JoSAA 2020 Reporting Centers
The candidates can only become a part of JoSAA counselling if they have cleared the exam and their name is mentioned on the result list. The students have to attend the counselling, in case they don’t attend the counselling, their admission might get canceled. The candidates have to visit the reporting centre on time with all of the important documents including JEE Main admit cards.
Here is a list of all reporting centres in NITs, IIITs and GFTIs
|S. No.||Institute Code||Institute Name|
|1||201||Dr. B R Ambedkar National Institute of Technology, Jalandhar|
|2||202||Malaviya National Institute of Technology Jaipur|
|3||203||Maulana Azad National Institute of Technology Bhopal|
|4||204||Motilal Nehru National Institute of Technology Allahabad|
|5||205||National Institute of Technology Agartala|
|6||206||National Institute of Technology Calicut|
|7||207||National Institute of Technology Delhi|
|8||208||National Institute of Technology Durgapur|
|9||209||National Institute of Technology Goa|
|10||210||National Institute of Technology Hamirpur|
|11||211||National Institute of Technology Karnataka, Surathkal|
|12||212||National Institute of Technology Meghalaya|
|13||213||National Institute of Technology Nagaland|
|14||214||National Institute of Technology Patna|
|15||215||National Institute of Technology Puducherry|
|16||216||National Institute of Technology Raipur|
|17||217||National Institute of Technology Sikkim|
|18||218||National Institute of Technology Arunachal Pradesh|
|19||219||National Institute of Technology, Jamshedpur|
|20||220||National Institute of Technology, Kurukshetra|
|21||221||National Institute of Technology, Manipur|
|22||222||National Institute of Technology, Mizoram|
|23||223||National Institute of Technology, Rourkela|
|24||224||National Institute of Technology, Silchar|
|25||225||National Institute of Technology, Srinagar|
|26||226||National Institute of Technology, Tiruchirappalli|
|27||227||National Institute of Technology, Uttarakhand|
|28||228||National Institute of Technology, Warangal|
|29||229||Sardar Vallabhbhai National Institute of Technology, Surat|
|30||230||Visvesvaraya National Institute of Technology, Nagpur|
|31||301||Atal Bihari Vajpayee Indian Institute of Information Technology & Management Gwalior|
|32||310||Indian Institute of Information Technology, Design & Manufacturing, Kancheepuram|
|33||901||College of Engineering Pune|
|34||402||Birla Institute of Technology, Mesra, Ranchi|
|35||403||Gurukula Kangri Vishwavidyalaya, Haridwar|
|36||410||Sant Longowal Institute of Engineering and Technology|
|37||412||School of Engineering, Tezpur University, Napaam, Tezpur|
|38||415||School of Planning & Architecture: Vijayawada|
|39||416||Shri Mata Vaishno Devi University, Katra, Jammu & Kashmir|
|40||417||Indian Institute of Engineering Science and Technology, Shibpur|
|41||421||University of Hyderabad|
|42||422||Punjab Engineering College, Chandigarh|
|43||423||Jawaharlal Nehru University, Delhi|
|44||902||Institute of Engineering and Technology, Lucknow|
|45||903||MBM Engineering College, JNV University, Jodhpur|
How does JoSAA work?
The applicants qualifying JEE Main or JEE Advanced will be allowed to take part in the counselling session organized by JoSAA. The candidates need to register themselves online and chose their preferred college and course from the mentioned list available. The JoSAA Counselling schedule will be mentioned on the official website post the results of JEE Main 2020. The seats are allocated based on the applicant’s ranking, category, availability of seats besides considering other factors as well. The entire allocation process will be done online and once the seats have been allocated to the students, they need to get the documents verified and pay the fee at the allotted institute to confirm their admission. The counselling and seat allotment process is anticipated to be held from the end of June 2020.
JoSAA 2020 Counselling Procedure
The candidates have to adhere to the JoSAA procedure as per schedule, the entire counselling process has been divided into various steps.
- Filling the choices online – The candidates have to log in to the JoSAA portal by filling their roll number and password. The candidates need to fill the choices in the prescribed section and lock their preferences as per the prescribed dates. This is one of the most important steps in JoSAA Counselling, the candidates must not forget to lock their filled choices before submitting. In case someone forgets to lock their choices, the last saved choices will be saved automatically.
- Provisional Offer of Seats & Confirmation– The candidates can check provisional seat allotment by visiting the website on the date specified in the schedule. Once the seat has been allotted to the candidates, they have to download the provisional seat allocation letter and pay the seat acceptance fee. The candidates belonging to SC, ST, Gen-PwD, SC-PwD, ST-PwD and OBC-NCL-PwD categories have to pay INR 20,000 while the students belonging to other categories need to pay INR 45,000. The payments can be made through SBI net banking or e-challan.
- Document Verification- Once the students have accepted the seat, they have to appear at the reporting center for getting the verification process done of the documents. The candidates must report the center at the mentioned date & time. The candidates must not forget to carry their original documents along with the photocopies as well; failing to which can result in the cancellation of the seats. The students who have selected float options and later get a better seat in the next counselling rounds by JoSAA have to report again with the documents for the verification process.
- Reporting at the Admitting Institution- Post the completion of seat allocation, seat acceptance, and document verification process, the candidates have to report at the allotted college or university so that further formalities related to the admission procedure can be completed.
There are some other options available for the students as well which include freeze, Float, and Slide Options.
- The freezing option is for those individuals who accept the allotted seats and don’t want to take part in the next counselling rounds
- The floating option will be accepted by the students who accept the allotted seats but wish to get admission to a better preference.
- The sliding option will be chosen by those candidates who accept the allotted seats but seeking admission to an academic program of better preferences within the same college or institution.
The candidates are allowed to make amendments in this process, they can change from floating to sliding to freezing by mentioning about the same at the reporting center. The Slide and float option will be offered to those candidates only who have not being given admission to their first preference; however, no candidate can make the changes in the last round of seat allocation. In case, the candidates don’t get a seat in the first round, then they are suggested to wait for the subsequent rounds as changes would happen in the second round as the students who want to get admissions in other colleges to discontinue the further process.
JEE – Spot Round
Spot rounds are held when there are any leftover seats even after the multiple counselling rounds as well. However, the students must not rely on it by seeing the cutoffs of the spot round as this round takes place very late and moreover, there is not a surety whether this round will take place or not. The candidates’ who have taken admission and want to opt for sliding later, can sit for the spot round.
Latest News Updates
- NTA Re-opens JEE Main Application Form For Candidates, Last Date To Apply Is 24th May
- Turn Lockdown Period Into An Opportunity”, says Anand Kumar of Super 30 to JEE Aspirants
- JEE Main 2020 Syllabus not reduced, says NTA
- JEE Main 2020: Dates announced by the MHRD, Examination to be conducted from July 18 to 23, 2020
- New Batches for IITs and NITs to start in September 2020
How to withdraw a seat?
The students who have previously accepted the seat but now want to withdraw the accepted seat are allowed to do so. For the same, the candidates must fill their bank account details & upload an image of canceled cheque in jpg format and download the withdrawal request letter. The candidates doing so will have to appear at the reporting center along with the withdrawal request letter duly signed by them and their parents.
The candidates selecting the withdrawal option will not be allowed to take part in further admission rounds. The students will get a refund after a deduction of INR 1000 as processing charges.