The registration for JEE Main 2020 exams for the April session was open from February 7 to March 12, 2020, the candidates planning to give the exam in April can apply online by visiting the official website. Under JEE Main Reservation Criteria, the candidates belonging to Scheduled Caste (SC), Scheduled Tribe (ST), OBC-NCL, Women Candidates and Person with Disability get some reservation on the seats. Also, the reservation of the seats through JEE Main will be granted based on the State of Eligibility, from where the candidate has appeared for the qualifying exam. The detailed JEE Main Reservation criteria 2020 for each of the categories is mentioned below which will help the students belonging to the reserved category.
The category will reserve 5% of the overall seats for persons with Disabilities (PwD) as mentioned in The Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act, 2016 (RPwD Act 2016).
- Telangana offers different state quotas which include Home State Quota, Other State Quota, and Andhra Pradesh State Quota.
- 5% of total seats are reserved for the female candidates in all institutes that are taking part in JEE. Also, some concession in the application fees at the time of filling the application form will be offered to the candidates belonging to reserved category.
- In NITs, half of the seats are reserved under Home State Quota and rest 50% under Other State Quota.
- Vacant Home State Quota seats are converted to All India Seats for the mentioned category.
The candidates who are applying for JEE Main 2020 under JEE Main reservation criteria will be offered some advantages which include age-limit relaxation, qualifying scores, seat allocation, entrance exam score, etc as compared to the candidates belonging to the non-reserved category. The candidates who want to register for the JEE Main exam under the reservation category, need to submit valid documents as proof of their reservation.
JEE Main Reservation Criteria 2020 – Eligible Categories
|Person with Disabilities||5%|
|Economically Weaker Section||10%|
JEE Main Reservation Criteria 2020 – Key Highlights
- The JEE Main 2020 reservation criteria will follow the eligibility and reservation rules which are laid down by the Government of India.
- The admissions in NIT’s, IIT’s and GFTI’s will be granted to only those candidates belonging to reserved categories that fall into this category and are eligible to get admission.
- The candidates applying for admissions in state engineering colleges that accept JEE Main 2020 scores will be given reservation based on the reservation criteria set by the state government.
JEE Main Reservation Criteria for Women Candidates
- The female candidates have to apply under the All India Level or Women Quota System as majority of the colleges have reserved 5% seats for female candidates.
- Also, there are a few colleges that offer some relaxation in terms of the percentage of marks as well. For instance-, if the cut off of any particular college is almost 95% then the girls with 90% can apply for the same seat.
- For the girls belonging to PwD category, there is a relaxation of an additional 3%.
JEE Main Reservation Criteria for Persons with Benchmark Disabilities (PwD)
- Specified Disability means disabilities which are exactly the same mentioned in the Schedule of the RPwD Act 2016.
- Different categories of disabilities include:
- Blindness and low vision
- Deaf and hard of hearing
- Locomotor disability includes cerebral palsy, dwarfism, acid attack victims, etc.
- Intellectual disability, any learning disability, mental illness, etc
- Many disabilities from amongst persons
- Other ‘specified disabilities’ that are mentioned in the Schedule of the RPwD Act 2016.
JEE Main Reservation Criteria – NITs and IITs
Since the JEE Main Reservation criteria vary from institution to institution, so the candidates are advised to check the reservation criteria for the institute in which he/she is applying:
- IITs: All Indian Institute of Technology’s colleges offer admissions under the All India Quota basis.
- NITs: The National Institute of Technology or NITs grant admissions to eligible students based on the State Quota and Other State Quota basis. As per the admission process, 50% seats are reserved for the candidates who are eligible for home state quota and the remaining 50% seats are reserved for other state candidates.
- Home State Quota– Under the Home State Quota, the reservation for the candidates will be for the students who belong to the state where the NIT is located.
- Other State Quota: The candidates belonging to any other state apart from the state where the particular NIT is located will be permitted to claim their reservation under this Quota.
|Name of the institutes||Reservation criteria|
|NIT (Other State Quota)||Half of the seats are reserved for the candidates who belong to all other states and Union Territories excluding Home State.|
|NIT (Other State Quota)||50%|
|Centre/State Funded Technical Institutes||According to Home Quota/ State Quota/ All India Quota|
|Government Funded Technical Institutes||According to All India Quota|
|State Engineering Colleges||According to All India Quota|
Documents needs to be filled for JEE Main Reservation Criteria 2020
The candidates need to provide the following documents to claim reservation as per the JEE Main reservation criteria 2020:
- Duly signed category certificate by the competent authority in a prescribed format will be considered.
- The PwD candidates must have a disability certificate to apply under JEE Main Reservation.
How to Claim a Reservation?
The candidates who belong to the reserved categories must follow the below-mentioned steps to claim reservation as per the JEE Main 2020 reservation criteria:
- The candidates must mention the category and fill it accurately in the JEE Main 2020 Application Form.
- The candidates must show the relevant and valid certificates for verification at the time of JEE Main Counselling.
- The candidates failing to provide the required documents will not be given the privilege of reserved category and will be considered under unreserved category only.
What are the clauses for claiming the reservation?
- To claim the reserved seats, proper documents needed to be submitted at the time of admission.
- Only those candidates will be considered for reservation if their documents have been issued from proper authorities and are in the mentioned format.
- As soon as the results of JEE Mains are announced, the list of the candidates under the JEE Main will also be notified.
JEE Main Reservation of Seats remains almost the same each year until and unless no major changes are introduced under the government reservation policies. The candidates will be notified in case of any changes in the reservation policies.