The National Testing Agency (NTA) has officially released the eligibility criteria of JEE Main 2020 in its brochure. The candidates preparing for JEE Main 2020 must meet the JEE Main eligibility criteria before planning to apply for the entrance test, the candidates that are unable to meet the eligibility criteria will be rejected at any stage of the admission process by the authorities.
All the aspirants who are planning to get admission to B.E/B. Tech programs at the undergraduate level must go through beneath information related to the JEE Main Eligibility Criteria 2020 carefully so that all their doubts and queries related to the same can be solved. The eligibility criteria include some important details including educational qualification, age limit, nationality, subjects studied in Class 12/10+2 or equivalent and some other mandatory details that are needed at the time of registration. JEE Main 2020 April exam is scheduled to be conducted from 5 April to 11 April.
JEE Main Eligibility Criteria
Before proceeding to fill the application form of JEE Main 2020, the candidates must refer to JEE Main eligibility criteria and the candidate’s eligibility for the JEE Main 2020 will be based on the parameters mentioned below:
- Qualifying examination i.e. 10+2 or equivalent
- Date of birth
- Marks scored in the qualifying exam
What are the changes in the JEE Main Eligibility Criteria?
Some changes have been introduced in JEE Main 2020 which is important for the aspirants to know:
- Possession of a valid ID – The Indian candidates need to show their Aadhaar Card or other valid IDs to give the entrance exam. Similarly, foreign applicants must hold a valid Passport.
- Provision for Jammu & Kashmir, Meghalaya, and Assam Applicants – The candidates who belong to these states and are giving the exam must provide the required details which include Passport Number, Ration Card, Bank Account Number or any other Govt. The candidates need to fill the ID Number while filling the JEE Main 2020 Application Form. Also, they need to select cities in these States as examination Centers.
- No weightage given to Class 12th marks – As per new NTA’s guidelines, no weightage will be given to the marks obtained in class XII at the time of calculating All India Rank of JEE Main 2020.
- Admissions in IITs/ NITs/ IIITs and other CFTIs – a minimum of 75% marks in class 12, or be in the top 20 percentile in class 12th class exam conducted by the respective board, is the minimum JEE main eligibility criteria to get selected for admissions. For the candidates belonging to SC/ST category, the qualifying marks are, however, 65% marks.
Documents Required for JEE Main 2020
The below-mentioned are the mandatory documents that the candidates need to produce at the time of giving JEE Main 2020 Exam:
- Identity Card: the candidates need to produce any Proof of Identity which can be PAN Card, Drivers Licence, Voter ID, Aadhaar Card (not compulsory).
- Photograph and Signature: Scanned copies of Signature and Photograph are required. The size of a photograph should be between 10 kb–200 kb while the size of the signature must be between 4 kb–30 kb. The preferred dimensions are 3.5 cm X 4.5 cm and in the format of JPEG/JPG only.
- Educational Documents: Class 10th Marksheet and Certificate, Class 12th Marksheet is needed.
Detailed JEE Main Eligibility Criteria
- Candidates must have passed class 12 or similar exams in 2018 or 2019.
- The candidates’ who will be giving class 12 or equivalent qualifying exam in 2020 are also eligible to apply for JEE Main.
- Though there is no age limit; still the candidate must have passed 10+2 or equivalent exam in 2018 or 2019.
- The students who are giving 10+2 or equivalent exams in 2020 can also apply.
Number of attempts
- The aspirants planning to give JEE Main exam are allowed to participate in the entrance exam for 3 consecutive years. JEE Main exam which is conducted twice a year allows the aspirants to appear in both the attempts and the attempt for one academic year will be considered as one attempt.
Subject/subjects combination for admission into top colleges such as NITs, IIITs and GFTIs
JEE Main eligibility criteria related to the subjects for the candidates giving the exam include:
- B.Tech/ B.E
- Anyone of subjects including Chemistry, Biology, Biotechnology, Technical Vocational Subject
JEE Main Reservation of Seats
A few of the total seats are reserved for candidates belonging to OBC, SC, ST, and PwD candidates. The percentage of seats reserved for each category is given below in the graph:
Hope the above piece of information is of use to you. The candidates who meet the above mentioned JEE main eligibility criteria can start registration for the test from February 7, 2020, to March 12, 2020, for the April session of JEE Main 2020.
List of qualifying exams as JEE Main Eligibility Criteria:
The aspirants planning to appear JEE Mains must have cleared following to meet the JEE Main eligibility criteria 2020:
- Class 12 or similar exam taken by a recognized Central or State board like ICSE, CBSE, CISCE, etc.
- Intermediate or Pre-Degree Course exam or Pre-University Course which is organized by any of the recognized Board/University.
- H.S.C any vocational exam
- The final exam of the two-year course of the Joint Services Wing of the NDA.
- Diploma of at least three years which is recognized by AICTE or SBTE.
- The Senior Secondary School Examination which is conducted by the National Institute of Open Schooling with at least five subjects.
- For admission to IITs, General Certificate Education (GCE) exam (London/ Cambridge/ Sri Lanka) at Advanced level (A).
- Association of Indian Universities which is recognized by School/ Board/ University examination in India or any foreign country recognized as equivalent to the 12th class.
JEE Main Eligibility Criteria 2020 for Year of appearance in the Qualifying Exam
Both the candidates who have passed class 12 or any other similar exam in the year 2018 or 2019 and the ones who are giving class 12 or any other equivalent examination in 2020 are allowed to give JEE Main 2020. But the ones who have passed class 12 or equivalent examination in 2017 or before and those who give the exam in 2021 or later are not allowed to appear in JEE Main 2020. The individuals who have given class 12 exam in 2017 and failed in 2017 but have appeared again in 2018 and cleared the exam are still not eligible for JEE Main 2020.
JEE Main Eligibility Criteria for getting Admissions in NITs, IIITs and CFTIs
The eligibility criteria which will be taken into consideration for admission into NITs, IITs, and CFTIs are mentioned below:
For admission to NITs/ IIITs/ GFTIs: The candidates must have achieved a minimum 75% marks in class 12 or similar exam or they must be in the top 20 percentile in their class 12 examination. For the students belonging to SC/ ST category, the JEE Main eligibility criteria are to achieve at least 65% marks in class 12 or equivalent.
JEE Main 2020 B.Arch/B.Planning Admission: The candidates need to qualify 10+2 or equivalent exam from a recognized board with at least 50% aggregate marks to meet the JEE Main eligibility criteria
What is Subject Combinations JEE Main Eligibility Criteria?
The candidates must have studied the subjects mentioned below to get admissions through JEE Main 2020 into NITs, IIITs and GFTIs. The subject combination for the papers are discussed below:
B.Tech/B.E – For getting admission in a B.Tech or B.E course, the candidates must have passed the qualifying examination with Physics and Mathematics as compulsory subjects in addition to one of the Chemistry/Biotechnology/Biology/ Technical Vocational subject.
B.Arch – The candidates need to pass the qualifying examination with Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry as the main subjects.
B.Planning – Passed qualifying examination with Mathematics
What is JEE Main Eligibility Criteria for Droppers?
The term droppers can be mentioned in two ways. One kind of droppers are the ones who have dropped a year post completing their class 12 to focus on JEE Main 2020 exam while other categories of droppers belong to the ones who got admitted to another institute and want to attempt again or might not have qualified JEE Main earlier and want a year to focus on their studies. The detailed JEE Main Eligibility Criteria for the droppers is mentioned below:
JEE Main Eligibility Criteria 2020 for Droppers
- There is no specific age limit.
- For getting admission to NITs, IIITs and CFTIs, the candidates must have achieved a minimum score of 75% or needs to be in top 20 percentile of their respective boards. Students belonging to SC/ST category get 10% relaxation with minimum required marks of 65%.
- The droppers must have passed their class 12 examination in 2018 or 2019, only three consecutive attempts are permitted to the students for JEE Main.
- The candidates’ must have studied at least five subjects in their 12th class or qualifying exam (with Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics as mandatory subjects).
JEE Main 2020 – Details of Improvement Examination
- Improvement for all subjects – In case an aspirant appears for improvement in all subjects in 2020, then his/her better attempt of both the years will be considered.
- Improvement in one or more subjects – In case the aspirants appear for improvement in 2020, then their top 20 percentile of 2019 will also be taken into consideration. The maximum marks achieved in the mandatory subjects will be taken into account to calculate the aggregate percentage in such a case.