Last updated on October 20th, 2020 at 10:54 am
JEE Main Chemistry is often considered as the easiest section of JEE Main examination. It also happens to be the key scoring subject for JEE Main 2021. The JEE Main Chemistry section consists more of application-based questions. These questions require concrete theoretical knowledge. With the JEE Main Preparation Tips for Chemistry, students will get a grip over the basic and complex concepts to attempt such questions. So, let us try to figure out how to study chemistry for the JEE Main 2021 January session.
- According to experts, the difficulty level of the Chemistry section is moderate to easy.
- The Chemistry section in JEE Main 2020 April/September session was easy.
- It is usually easier than the other 2 sections, i.e., Physics and Mathematics.
JEE Main Preparation Tips For Chemistry: Pointers
A few tried and tested JEE Main Preparation Tips for Chemistry are given below. This is enlisted by the experts for the convenience of candidates:
Start with Basics
- In preparation for JEE Main Chemistry, the go-to textbook are the NCERT publications.
- Candidates can get their basics of the subject clear with the help of them.
- After this, they can move on to higher-level books for advanced studies.
Use Limited Sources
- It is true that studying from too many reference books can lead to confusion and you can also miss out on the most important topics.
- Therefore, candidates should limit their reference studies to the minimum.
- They should instead stress on making their own notes after each lesson. This will make the concept get internalized.
Solve Maximum Mocks
- Students should solve as many JEE Main mock test papers as possible in order to score well in the exam.
- Consistent timed practice is the only way to ensure speed and accuracy in solving the questions.
- Attempting as many previous year’s JEE papers as possible would give candidates a real-time feel and experience of taking the test.
- Continuous revision of concepts, equations, and formulae would ensure better retention.
- Revision in Chemistry is required at least twice a week for all the topics/chapters.
- You should also revise topics which have been learned in the past along with a short revision of this week’s work.
Focus of High Weightage Topics
- Once the entire syllabus has been covered thoroughly, students should deploy smart prep strategy.
- They should focus mainly on topics with higher weightage. It’s not that the entire syllabus should not be revised or practised.
- The weighted topics should be focused a little more than the rest.
Section-wise JEE Main Preparation Tips for Chemistry
For Physical Chemistry
- The Physical Chemistry section consists of a lot of numerical problems.
- It covers topics such as Redox Reaction, Mole Concept and their equivalences, Solid States, Gas Theory, Thermochemistry, and Thermodynamics.
- Also, it is essential to have knowledge of proper formulae and/or logic to solve questions to gain accuracy.
For Inorganic Chemistry
- Inorganic Chemistry’s most scoring topic is ‘Chemical Bonding and Periodic Tables’.
- Maximum questions from this unit are in the context of bond formation, bond breaking, and periodicity, S-Block, F-Block, D and F-Block elements etc.
For Organic Chemistry
- JEE Main Organic Chemistry is mostly concept based.
- Candidates would be able to score really good marks if they focus on carbonyl groups reactions and their mechanism.
- Physical properties of organic groups, the polarization of carbonyl compounds, the hydrogen group, and carbon groups are the most frequently asked questions in the JEE Main Examination.
JEE Main Preparation Tips For Chemistry: Online Apps
E-Learning Android Applications
Android applications are the best source for preparation of almost each and every competitive examination. There are video lectures, mock tests, study material and a lot more stuff which helps students improve their preparation levels. Given below are some android applications which can help students in preparing JEE Main Chemistry along with the topic and chapter-wise preparation.
- This application provides video lectures according to the curriculum of CBSE and for IIT JEE too.
- Video lectures of Khan Academy are very well explained to understand the topics of JEE Main Chemistry thoroughly.
- With each video lecture, students are also asked questions on the topic for which they earn points and badges as rewards.
- This is the largest learning platform in India with a continuously growing user base.
- Students can watch completely free lectures on various subjects and topics directly streamed by the toppers of various examinations.
- They can also interact with the educators or teachers through the comment section given below the video.
- This application is a learning application which provides subject-wise notes and video lectures.
- It also houses a large number of Mock Tests and topic-wise tests for students to work on their weak topics.
- Students will also find a large database of questions from previous years provided within the application.
- This application houses all the major resources required for a student.
- Students will find all the necessary resources, completely free! From Solutions of questions from books of major writers to All India Mock Tests and live video lectures.
- The speciality of this application is their in-house WAVE technology which lets students (or users) interact with a question put-upon the screen by the educator.
NTA Content-Based Lectures (by IIT-PAL)
JEE Main Preparation Tips for Chemistry includes – utilising free resources. NTA has provided video lectures recorded by some reputed IIT Professors under the name of IIT-PAL on Youtube. These lectures are divided into subtopics for each chapter. There are more than 100 videos. They are of approximately 50 to 60-minute runtime. To access these videos-
- Firstly, head over to the official website of NTA – www.nta.ac.in
- Next, click on the ‘Students’ tab.
- Then, under the ‘Test Practice’ section, select ‘Content Based Lectures’.
If students are not able to access the website above, they can also open Youtube and search for IIT-PAL. They will be able to watch the lecture they wish for.
Free Mock Tests by NTA
NTA has also provided free mock tests for JEE Main aspirants on their official website. These mock tests are an exact simulation of the actual examination. Also, this will help students understand how to attempt the examination in a computer-based environment. The only disadvantage here is that these are full mock tests and not subject-wise mock tests.
- To access the mock tests head over to this website – https://nta.ac.in/quiz.
- After this, just select the examination and paper from 2020, 2019, 2018 and 2017 sessions.
- Once selected, start your mock test.
JEE Main Chemistry Question Paper PDFs by Allen Kota
Given below are links to download JEE Main 2019 Question Papers of Chemistry. It is prepared by Allen Kota. Click on links below to download question papers in PDF form.
|Date||Shift||Paper & Answers||Paper & Solutions|
|9 January||1||Click Here||Click Here|
|2||Click Here||Click Here|
|10 January||1||Click Here||Click Here|
|2||Click Here||Click Here|
|11 January||1||Click Here||Click Here|
|2||Click Here||Click Here|
|12 January||1||Click Here||Click Here|
|2||Click Here||Click Here|
JEE Main Preparation Tips for Chemistry: Important Topics
Each of the three sections in JEE Mains has an equal number of questions. The Chemistry section consists of 25 compulsory questions bearing 4 marks each as per the new exam pattern of JEE Main. The table below depicts unit-wise weightage for each of the subsections of JEE Main Chemistry.
|SUB-SECTION||OVERALL WEIGHTAGE (%)||IMPORTANT TOPICS||TOPIC WEIGHTAGE (%)|
|Physical Chemistry||35.6||Basic Concepts||7.4|
|States of Matter and Solutions||23.2|
|Redox and Electrochemistry||8.4|
|Organic Chemistry||34.7%||Basic Principles||6.33|
|Hydrocarbons and its Substituents||6.33|
|O containing Compounds||8.33|
|N containing Compounds||3.00|
|Biomolecules & Polymers||5.67|
|Environmental & Everyday-life Chemistry||1.67|
|Inorganic Chemistry||29.7%||Coordination Compounds||14.9|
|Chemical Bonding and Molecular Structure||21.8|
|Classification of Elements and Periodicity||8.9|
|D & F Block Elements||24.7|
|Hydrogen and S-block Elements||12.9|
Important topics for JEE Main Organic Chemistry
Organic Chemistry is considered to be the hardest among all the subsections of JEE Main Chemistry. Questions can be asked very randomly from any particular chapter or topic hidden deep inside the syllabus. This makes almost each and every topic important here. Although, some really important topics in JEE Main Organic Chemistry are given below
- Reactions and their mechanism
Questions based on mechanism and named reactions are asked very commonly. It is advised to prepare steps of common chemical reactions to learn them thoroughly. 2-3 questions on average, from the topic – organic synthesis – are asked in the JEE Main exam.
Latest News Updates
- JEE Main 2021: Mr Ramesh Pokhriyal Directs NTA to Draft a Fresh Syllabus
- JEE Main 2021 Delayed Till February, JEE Advanced 2021 Syllabus Being Reviewed
- JAC Delhi 2020 Counselling: Seat Allotment Result For Round 3 Declared
- IIT Kharagpur Will Conduct JEE Advanced 2021
- CSAB 2020 Special Rounds Counselling Schedule Released
Important Topics for JEE Main Inorganic Chemistry
Almost all topics of JEE Main Chemistry – Inorganic Chemistry are considered important. In this section, the Periodic table carries the highest weightage. Clear your basics and the fundamentals of each and every topic. Inorganic chemistry can be helpful in boosting your score only if you will prepare the following topics with complete dedication-
- Methods of Preparation and Chemical Reactions, uses, etc. of the compounds.
- Chemical bonding
- Elements of the periodic table
- Transition elements and coordination chemistry
- S & P block elements and Hydrogen
Studying these topics will help the candidate easily score about 20 to 25 marks from the Inorganic section. Questions asked from Chemical bonding are based on the following topics:
- Dipole Moment
- Shape and Hybridisation
- Molecular Orbital Theory
- Fajan’s Rule & its application
Approximately two to three questions are asked from transition elements and coordination chemistry chapters. Questions in the exam are generally based on topics like Lanthanoid Contraction, Isomerism (Structural, Geometrical, Linkage, Optical Isomerism), Nomenclature and Crystal Field Theory.
Important topics for JEE Main Physical Chemistry
Mole concept in Physical Chemistry is the most important topic for JEE Main. Certain reactions like Redox Reaction are based on the Mole concept. Hence, being the basic connect this topic should be on your tips.
In Atomic Structure, you formulae and basic concepts should be clear. Questions are frequently asked from this chapter in JEE Main. Important topics in this chapter are The Wavelength of Electronic Transition, Quantum Numbers and Ionisation Energy.
Topics like State and Solid-state are also important for JEE Main 2021. Make your fundamentals clear on these topics. From topics like van der Waals equation, Kinetic Theory of Gases and Types of Molecular Velocity are among the topics for frequently asked questions.
The other topics that carry equal weightage in JEE Main are below:
- Chemical Thermodynamics
- Chemical Kinetics
- Electrochemistry & Redox Reactions
- Surface Chemistry
- Chemical Bonding and Molecular Structure
JEE Main Preparation Tips for Chemistry: Marking Distribution
|Easy Topics- 1 to 2 Marks||Moderate yet Scoring- 3 to 4 Marks||Difficult yet Scoring- 2 to 3 Marks||Less Important but Scoring- 1 to 2 Marks||Previously Appeared in JEE Main/ Advanced- 1 to 2 Marks|
|IUPAC Nomenclature||Mole Concept||Atomic Structure||Chemical Equilibrium||Transition Element and Coordination Chemistry|
|Periodic Table (Basics)||Coordination Chemistry||Gaseous State||Ionic Equilibrium||Periodic Table and Representative Elements|
|Chemical Bonding||Alcohol, Phenols and Ethers||Hydrocarbons||Thermodynamics||Gaseous State|
|–||p-Block element||Aldehydes and Ketones||Hydrogen and its Compounds||Atomic structure|
|–||–||d & f Block Elements||s-Block Elements||Amines|
|–||–||General Organic Chemistry||Isomerism of Organic Compounds||Solution and Colligative Properties|
|–||–||–||Environmental Chemistry||General Organic Chemistry|
|–||–||–||Solid State||Carboxylic Acids and Derivatives|
|–||–||–||Electrochemistry||Carbohydrate, Amino Acids and Polymer|
|–||–||–||Qualitative Salt Analysis||–|
|–||–||–||Alkyl Halides and Aryl Halides||–|
|–||–||–||Carboxylic Acids and their derivatives||–|
|–||–||–||Chemistry in Everyday Life||–|
Chapter-wise Weightage for JEE Main Chemistry – Past 3 Years
The chapter-wise weightage in JEE Main Chemistry according to the past years’ trend has been given below. The weightage is not limited to a particular shift or session of JEE Main. It is an average analysis. A large number of questions in the past have been from the Mole Concept of JEE Main Chemistry.
|Topics||JEE Main Number of Questions (Year-wise)|
|Atomic Structure and Classification||2||1||2|
|States of Matter||2||1||1|
|Chemical & Ionic Equilibrium||1||0||1|
|Chemical Kinetics & Nuclear Chemistry||1||2||2|
|General Organic Chemistry + Functional Group-I||2||4||2|
|Organic Chemistry + Functional Group-II||1||0||1|
|Organic Chemistry + Functional Group-III||1||1||2|
|Chemistry of Representative Elements||7||6||3|
|Coordination Compounds & Organometallics||1||2||1|
JEE Main Preparation Tips for Chemistry: Reference Books
Almost each and every website providing JEE Main Preparation Tips for Chemistry will suggest a few popular reference books apart from the must-read NCERT. JEE Main Chemistry Books (Class XI-XII) that are recommended for preparations are:
|Name of Book||Author/Publisher|
|Concise Inorganic Chemistry for JEE||J D Lee|
|Inorganic Chemistry||O P Tandon|
|Textbook of Organic Chemistry||Arihant Publications|
|Organic Chemistry||P Tandon|
|Modern Approach to Chemical Calculations||R C Mukherjee|
|Physical Chemistry (new pattern textbook for physical chemistry)||O P Tandon|
|University Chemistry||Bruce M Mahan and Rollie J Meyers|
Chemistry is considered to be the most scoring section in the JEE Main Examination. Candidates will do well by following the prescribed syllabus while focusing on weighted topics. Consistent and rigorous practice of mock papers/previous year question papers can ensure a high score. Do follow the JEE Main Preparation Tips for Chemistry and start learning right away!
JEE Main Preparation Tips for Chemistry FAQs
Answer: NCERT is sufficient for preparation of Chemistry, if studied thoroughly. However, it is advisable to study other reference books also to get in-depth knowledge about the topics.
Answer: The Chemistry section is usually easy in the JEE Main exam.
Answer: Coaching is not a necessity for clearing any exam. You can clear JEE Main 2021 if you dedicate yourself to studying properly and follow the exam study pattern.
Answer: Usually, students find Physical Chemistry to be tougher than the other two branches.