Last updated on May 14th, 2021 by user
A student can go for two things after giving JEE Main 2021. One is to go for JEE Advanced if you are amongst the top-ranking students who are qualified to appear. Another option is to apply for colleges and universities who take in admissions based on JEE Main 2021 Results in programmes like B.Tech, B.E, B.Sc, B.Arch and B.Planning Course. There are a lot of Top Engineering and Architectural Colleges that students can choose after qualifying JEE Main. Courses like B.Tech, B.E, B.Planning, and B.Arch are only a few examples students can choose to apply for after JEE Main. From the numerous courses our country has to offer, B.Planning Course is one of the least opted courses by students after JEE Main.
- But NTA has created a separate paper in JEE Main (Paper 3) for this course specifically.
- Does it mean that the scope for Bachelor of Planning is increasing?
- Does it mean more and more students want to go with this course?
- Let us talk about the scope and career after choosing B.Planning Course.
- Scope and Career Options Available to those Studying B.Tech in CSE
- Read all about B.Tech in Agriculture and Food Engineering here
What is a B.Planning course?
B.Planning is the short form for Bachelor of Planning. It is a 4 years full-time undergraduate program. Moreover, it is a subject related to Architecture and Civil engineering. It involves professional planning, development and management. After completing the course, you can seek jobs as a city planner, building planner, area planner etc. The course is divided into 8 semesters with subjects like Fundamentals of Urban and Regional Planning, Basic Architectural Design, Planning and Design Lab-I, Elements of Economics, Demography and urbanisation, Computer-Aided Design in Planning etc., over the course of 4 years.
Course Structure for B.Planning Course
|Number of Semesters||8|
|Exam type||Per semester|
|Eligibility||10+2 with Maths|
|Entrance exams accepted||JEE Main, NATA, UPSEE, JUEE, TANCET|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 3-6 lakh|
|Job Positions||Urban/Regional Planner, Town planner, interior designer, project manager|
|Further education||Masters and PhD|
|Course Duration||4 years|
Top Colleges Accepting JEE Main Scores for B.Planning Course
- Jawaharlal Nehru Technology University, Hyderabad (A.P)
- Jawaharlal Nehru Architecture and Fine Arts Univ. (JNAFAU)
- Lovely Professional University, Phagwara, Punjab
- Nirma University, Ahmedabad, Gujarat
- Amity University, Haryana
- School of Planning and Architecture, Vijayawada (A.P.)
- School of Planning & Architecture, New Delhi
- Indian Institute for Technology, Chennai
- Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur
Scope of JEE Main B.Planning Course In Future
The B.Planning course has a lot of scope in aspects of education and career. Some of the options available to students completing B.Planning are given below:
- One can study up to PhD level in planning. Students can even go and study abroad in countries like the UK and USA for the same.
- In India there are many colleges and universities that offer Masters Courses after graduating in B.Planning Course.
- As for career options there are plenty of positions in private as well as government sectors.
- Students can even get placements for international companies.
Latest JEE Main News
- “Classes for Engineering Courses to Start from 15 September”, Says AICTE Amid COVID-19 Surge
- JEE Main 2021 May Session Postponed, Education Minister Confirms; Check Details
- JEE Main April 2021 Postponed Amid Spike In COVID-19 Cases, New Dates 15 Days Prior To Exam
- AICTE Says PCM Not Mandatory For Engineering: Boon or Bane?
- Dr Ramesh Pokhriyal Announces JEE Advanced 2021 For 3rd July, 75% Criteria Removed
Master of Planning Through JEE Main
- M.Planning and various specialisations in M.Tech are offered by multiple planning schools and universities.
- Students can opt for Dual Degree courses which includes a Masters Course from their desired college once they clear the JEE Main Cut Off for that college.
- Some universities and institutions also offer specialisation programs for the same urban planning, regional planning, housing and infrastructure management, etc.
- Their main aim is to impart education and training to town and country planning.
- The course is of 4 semesters.
Specializations at Masters Level
Various specializations offered at the Master’s level are listed below:
- Urban Planning
- Regional Planning
- Transportation Planning
- Environmental Planning
- City Planning
- Infrastructure Planning
Colleges and Universities for Masters of Planning
|School of Planning & Architecture, New Delhi||
|School of Architecture & Planning, Anna University, Chennai||Master of Town and Country Planning|
|Institute of Development Studies, University of Mysore, Mysore||Master of Urban and Regional Planning|
|Centre for Environmental Planning and Technology (CEPT), Ahmedabad||
|Guru Ramdas School of Planning, Guru Nanak Dev University, Amritsar (Punjab)||Master in planning infrastructure|
|IIT Roorkee||Master in urban and Rural planning|
|Bengal Engineering College, Shibpur University, Kolkata (West Bengal)||Master of town and regional planning|
|Jawaharlal Nehru Technology University, Hyderabad (A.P)||Master of Urban and Regional Planning|
|Jawaharlal Nehru Architecture and Fine Arts Univ. (JNAFAU)||Master of Urban and Regional Planning|
|Maulana Azad National Institute of Technology, Bhopal||Master of Urban Planning and Development|
|Sardar VallabhBhai National Institute of Technology, Surat (Gujarat)||Master of Town and Regional Planning|
|Arvindbhai Patel Institute of Environmental Design, Bhaikaka Centre for Human Settlement, Vallabh Vidyanagar, Surat||Master of Urban Planning|
|College of Engineering, Thiruvananthapuram (Kerala)||Master of Planning (Housing)|
|Malaviya National Institute of Technology, Jaipur (Rajasthan)||Master of Planning|
|School of Planning and Architecture, Bhopal (M.P.)||Master of Planning|
|School of Planning and Architecture, Vijayawada (A.P.)||Master of Urban and Regional Planning Master of Environmental Planning|
|Deenbandhu Chhotu Ram University of Science and Technology, Murthal, Sonepat, (Haryana)||Master of Urban and Rural Planning|
|Birla Institute of Technology, Ranchi (MESRA), Jharkhand||Master of Urban Planning|
|The Maharaja Sayajirao University of Baroda, Vadodara (Gujarat)||Master of Urban and Regional Planning|
|Lovely Professional University, Phagwara, Punjab||Master of Planning|
|National Institute of Technology, Calicut, Kerala||Master of Planning|
|Guwahati College of Architecture and Planning||Master of Urban and Regional Planning|
|Hindu College of Design, Architecture and Planning (HICDAP), Sonepat||Master’s in Urban and Regional Planning|
|Amity University, Haryana||Master of Urban and Regional Planning|
|Indubhai Parekh School of Architecture and Planning, Rajkot||Master of Urban and Regional Planning|
|Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur (West Bengal)||Master of City Planning, Master of Regional Planning|
One can also go for further studies after masters at Ph.D. level. But the courses and programs for the same are available outside India.
Career Opportunities after JEE Main B.Planning Course
- There are many career opportunities for B.Planning graduates.
- They work as planners and work in town and country planning.
- Graduates can get jobs in Public Sector, Private sector, Real Estate firms and International Companies too.
- The salary for the job roles is good too.
- It can range from 1lakh to 5 lakhs depending on the experience and role of an individual.
- During the course students can even take up internships and work on professional projects.
Related: Career Options After JEE Main 2021
What is the work of Planners?
- Develops projects based on budget, time, available resources
- Create Vision For Community
- Design Safer and Sustainable settlements
- Research, design and develop programs
- Ensures balance between land and community requirements.
Job Opportunities after B.Planning Course
- As mentioned above, there’s ton of opportunities for students with a B.Planning degree.
- Of course, there’s a little hardship faced during the initial stages of the career but once established, there’s good stability in life.
- Let us check some profiles that students can look for after graduation in the B.Planning course.
- As per Times of India article, India needs 3 lakh town planners by 2031.
- This is because of an increase in the number of urban towns and cities.
- Town planning involves the management of water, waste and building.
- The town planners plan a town or city as per the people need in a spacious and useful way.
- One can become a town planner by pursuing a B.Planning course and a master’s degree in planning.
- A town planning professional can get a salary up to 60,000 per month which can increase gradually based on experience.
Urban or Regional Planner
- Urban planning involves technical development and political welfare of localities and its people.
- There are numerous opportunities for B.Planning graduates across the globe.
- Urban planners can get jobs in local and state government, private sector, real estate and even NGOs.
- The jobs roles include as Urban Planner, Regional Planner, Planning Advisor and Urban Designer.
- An Urban / Regional Planner can expect a starting salary of up to 4 lakh per annum or even more depending on the job and the company.
- One can also be an independent contractor.
You Might Like
Planning Manager or Project Manager
- In this role, you will be required to act as a project and design planner.
- A planner in this field ensures that the Architectural projects are completed within the time frame following the budgeting constraints.
- The role requires a candidate with organisational, multitasking and problem-solving skills.
- A student can specialize in Urban Planning and Project Management. Industries like information, construction in order to be eligible for such positions offered by the government.
- The salary of a project manager on average is USD 1,182k per year depending on the company.
Other Job Opportunities
- Other opportunities include Interior Designer, Design Architect Projects, and Real Estate consultant.
- A student can also go abroad to pursue higher education which can be up to PhD or work with international companies in various positions.
- Given below are some foreign universities offering undergraduate courses in Planning.
Top Foreign Universities for B.Planning Course
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
- University of California, Berkeley
- Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey
- University of California, Los Angeles
- University of North Carolina
- Harvard University
- University of Pennsylvania
- Georgia Institute of Technology
- University of Southern California
- University of Michigan
Prominent Recruiters for B.Planning Graduates
- Some of the top recruiters for B.Planning graduates come from both public and private sectors and even NGOs.
- Some of them are town and country planning organizations, Municipal Corporations like MCD, KMC, BMC, etc.
- Other Public-Private ventures include the National Capital Region Planning Board, Metro Transport Corporations, Schools of Planning.
- There are a few private organisations which offer planning services to clients all over the world.
- Few of them are Tata Energy Research Institute, Ernest & Young, and Wilbur Smith Associates.
- One can also work as a Chartered Planner after receiving a proper licence.
Why Choose JEE Main for entering into B.Planning Course?
- JEE Main B.Planning Exam (Paper 3) is the gateway to enter the league of top planners of the country.
- JEE Main Paper 3 scores are accepted in various colleges and universities.
- Moreover, the kind of facilities provided in IITs is at par with Schools of Planning and Architecture of India.
- Once qualified from JEE Main, a candidate can go for JEE Advanced and then for the Architecture Aptitude Test (AAT).
- This opens the opportunity to candidates for IITs, Schools of Planning and other top-tier colleges for B.Planning courses.
- However, students mostly prefer the NATA (National Aptitude Test in Architecture).
- One thing that they do not consider is that JEE Main or AAT can be an additional opportunity.
- The difficulty level of JEE Main B.Planning Exam (Paper 3) is comparatively easy.
- This exam can be taken by Commerce students as well, who have chosen Mathematics as an additional subject at 10+2 level.
Eligibility for JEE Main B.Planning Exam (Paper 3)
Given below is the minimum eligibility criteria for B.Planning Exam of JEE Main-
- 10+2 Qualified with Mathematics
- 50% minimum score at Higher Secondary Level
- IITs and SPA Delhi require at least 75% aggregate or top 20 percentile scores in respective board (This criteria has been scrapped for 201 admissions)
- Mathematics should be the main subject at 10+2 level
- All Other Eligibility Criteria of JEE Main such as the number of attempts, age limit and accepted boards also apply.
You Might Like:
- IIT BHU: List of Courses Offered via JEE Advanced 2021
- Courses Offered at NIT Jamshedpur via JEE Main 2021
JEE Main 2021 B.Planning Syllabus
Given below is the brief JEE Main B.Planning syllabus (Paper 3). The sections in Paper 3 are – Mathematics, Aptitude and Planning. Planning as a subject has limited learning in 11th and 12th. Therefore, it is suggested to use the best books for JEE Main exam and utilise the exam tips and tricks to get the best score.
Mathematics (Same as JEE Main B.Tech/B.Arch)
- Sets, Relations and Functions
- Complex Number and Quadratic Equation
- Matrices and Determinants
- Permutations and Combination
- Mathematical Induction
- Binomial Theorem
- Sequences & series
- Limit, Continuity and Differentiability
- Integral Calculus
- Differential Equations
- Coordinate Geometry
- Three Dimensional Geometry
- Vector Algebra
- Statistics and Probability
- Mathematical Reasoning
Aptitude (Same as JEE Main B.Arch)
- Awareness Of Persons, places, building, materials
- Objects and texture related to Architecture and building environment
- Visualising three- dimensional objects from two-dimensional drawings
- Visualising different sides of three-dimensional objects
- Analytical Reasoning Mental Ability (Visual, numerical, and Verbal)
Related: JEE Main B.Arch Detailed Syllabus
Planning (Only for Paper 3)
- Generation of Plans
- General Knowledge about planned cities
- Social Sciences, History of planned cities etc
- Critical and Analytical Skills
Exam Pattern for JEE Main 2021 B.Planning
- Given below is the JEE Main B.Planning Exam Pattern in brief.
- JEE Main B.Planning (Paper 3) is the paper with highest marks i.e. 400.
- In contrast to JEE Main B.Arch Paper, this exam does not have a Drawing section with pen and paper mode.
|Mode of Exam||Computer Based Test (Online Mode)|
|Number of Questions Asked||105|
|Number of Questions to be Attempted||100|
|Subjects||Mathematics – 20 + 5 (Numerical value) Aptitude Test – 50 Planning Based – 25|
|Marking scheme||+4 for correct answers, -1 for negative answers (No negative marking for numerical value questions)|
|Language||English, Hindi, Assamese, Bengali, Gujarati, Kannada, Marathi, Malayalam, Odia, Punjabi, Tamil, Telugu, and Urdu|
*NTA also issues sample questions for the section on planning that students can solve. Students can check the JEE Main 2020 and other old Question Papers to get an idea of JEE Main B.Planning Exam Pattern in detail.
- As we discussed in this article, B.Planning Course can kickstart your career once you build up experience in the field of planning.
- The requirement of knowledgeable executives is very high due to the increasing demand.
- Moreover, the Government of India started off its Smart City Plan with the help of multiple city planners only!
- But for that, you’ll need an outstanding JEE Main Rank.
- Work hard, practice JEE Main B.Planning Mock Tests as much as you can. All the best!
Answer: B.Planning is more of a practical subject which requires a number of assignments and projects. Site visits are also a common part of the course. However, everything can be achieved with hard work.
Answer: Yes, colleges offer admission according to the JEE Main Paper 3 score.
Answer: JEE Main Paper 3 will only be conducted twice, in February and April 2021.
Answer: JEE Main Paper 3 will be conducted in online Computer Based Mode.