Last updated on April 21st, 2021 by user
JEE Advanced Reservation Criteria 2021 will be released by IIT Kharagpur soon. The reservation criteria will contain category wise percentage of reserved seats for GEN-EWS, SC, ST, OBC, PwD and Female category candidates.
Latest: JEE Advanced 2021 is scheduled for July 3rd, 2021. As per new eligibility rule, candidates can directly apply for JEE Advanced 2021, if due to COVID-19 lockdown, they were not able to attend the exam in 2020.
It is important to have in-depth knowledge of the reservation criteria in order to claim its benefits in terms of application fee, cut off marks, tuition fee etc. Candidates must submit a valid proof of JEE Advanced 2021 Eligibility to claim IIT seats reservations.
- Candidates cannot make changes in the category under any circumstances, once submitted in IIT records.
- But if at any stage, it is discovered that a candidate has used a false document or misinformation to acquire the benefits of reservation in IIT then he/she will not be allowed to be a part of the admission process.
- IIT Kharagpur will soon release the information brochure of JEE Advanced 2021. It will constitute details of JEE Advanced Registration dates, eligibility rules, exam dates, pattern etc.
- Candidates who are within the top 2,50,000 candidates as per the JEE Main 2021 Result, will be eligible to appear in JEE Advanced 2021.
- Top IITs in India: Rankings, Cut Off, Placements
- Expected JEE Advanced Cut Off 2021 (Qualifying and Admission)
JEE Advanced Reservation Criteria 2021: Seats Reserved For IITs
According to the rules of Government of India, Indian Nationals belonging to SC/ST/OBC-NCL, GEN-EWS and PwD categories can seek admission under the seats reserved for them. However, foreign nationals are outside the ambit of any of these reservation categories. The reservation of seats in IITs, for every category are as follows:
|Category||Reservation of Seats|
|PwD||5% seats in each of OPEN, GEN-EWS, OBC-NCL, SC and ST category seats.|
Points to Remember for JEE Advanced Reservation
- The Gen-EWS reservation benefits can only be availed by the General category candidates who satisfy the condition given in the OM No. 20013/01/2018-BC-II dated January 17, 2019 issued by the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment.
- Candidates won’t be able to claim the reservation if their category is not present in the respective central list of corresponding states published by the Government of India.
- The criteria for Non-Creamy Layer (OBC-NCL) will be as per the notification of Government of India.
- OBC Candidates belonging to creamy layer are NOT entitled to JEE Advanced Reservation Criteria 2021. These candidates will come under the General, unreserved category and will be eligible only for the OPEN seats.
- The vacant seats reserved under GEN-EWS and OBC-NCL categories will be de-reserved to OPEN category seats.
- Though, seats vacant under the SC and ST categories will NOT be de-reserved to any category.
- The reservation for PwD candidates is horizontal. As a result, unfilled seats will be de-reserved to the respective categories, unfilled SC-PwD seats will convert to the SC category seats and so on.
The following table shows the order to be followed while choosing top 2,50,000 candidates in various categories:
|Category||Number of “Top” Candidates|
Total Open & Reserved Seats in IITs – Seat Matrix at 23 IITs
IITs have a limited number of seats only i.e. 16,053 for about 2.5 lakh applicants. Given below are the number of seats as per JoSAA Seat Matrix 2020 for all the categories. This list will be updated as soon as the Seat Matrix for 2021 will be released by JoSAA.
|Category||Number of IIT Seats|
You Might Like –
- Low Rank In JEE Main 2021? Check These Alternatives
- Top NITs of India: Rankings, Average Package, Fees, Cut Off
Documents Required to claim JEE Advanced Reservation 2021
Following are the documents that are required by all the candidates to claim the reservation:
- Class 10 mark sheet or birth certificate.
- Class 12 examination results (or equivalent certificate)
- In case of any changes in the name of the person, gazette notification for the same.
The documents required by the different categories of candidates are as follows:
- GEN-EWS category candidates:
- GEN-EWS certificate issued on or after April 01.
- This certificate must follow the latest guidelines of the GOI.
- If the certificate is not issued, they can submit a declaration.
- SC/ST category candidates:
- They must submit the original and attested photocopy of the SC/ST category certificate.
- OBC-NCL category candidates:
- These candidates must submit an original and one attested photocopy of the OBC-NCL category certificate issued by a suitable authority.
- Candidates requiring the services of a scribe –
- Request letter to the chairman of the respective zonal IIT (FORM-SCRIBE)
- DS category candidates:
- Certificate DS issued by an authority in the Directorate of Resettlement and Rehabilitation, New Delhi.
The reservation depends on the verification of documents submitted by the candidate. If a candidate uses a false/fake/incorrect document or has input false information, to get the benefit of reservation, he/she will be barred from all admission processes. Moreover, if the admission was already given, then it will be cancelled.
GEN-EWS Quota Details
Candidates from the general category whose family income is less than 8 lakhs annually are considered under the EWS for the benefit of reservation. The competent authority will assess the Income and Asset Certificate presented by the candidates.
Who can’t access the EWS quota?
- Candidates whose families own 5 acres of agricultural land and above.
- Candidates who own a residential flat of 1,000 sq. ft. and above.
- Whose parents possess a residential plot of 100 sq. yards and above in notified municipalities.
- And finally, candidates whose parents own a residential plot of 200 sq. yards and above in areas other than the notified municipalities.
Authorities Who Can Access Income and Asset Certificate
- District Magistrate/Additional District Magistrate/ Collector/ Deputy Commissioner/Additional’ Deputy Commissioner/ 1st Class Stipendiary Magistrate/ Sub-Divisional Magistrate/ Taluka Magistrate! Executive Magistrate/ Extra Assistant Commissioner
- Chief Presidency Magistrate/Additional Chief Presidency Magistrate/ Presidency Magistrate
- Revenue Officer not below the rank of Tehsildar
- Sub-Divisional Officer or the area where the candidate and/or his family normally resides.
JEE Advanced Reservation Criteria for Female Candidates
- The authority aims to give a minimum of 20% reservation to improve the gender balance within the undergraduate programs. This decision has been taken at the understanding of the IIT Council to, inter alia, into the IITs in 2020-21.
- Thus, supernumerary seats will be created and offered to female candidates for improving the gender balance within IITs and this objective will be attained according to the directions of the Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India.
- These supernumerary seats are going to be offered:
- To only those female candidates who are declared qualified in JEE Advanced 2021
- Strictly hinge on the performance in JEE Advanced 2021.
- The reservation policy as per present Government of India norms will be applicable to these supernumerary seats as well.
- The detailed procedure for implementation of the above shall be set out in the Business Rules of the Joint Seat Allocation Authority (JoSAA), 2021.
Latest JEE Main News
- “Classes for Engineering Courses to Start from 15 September”, Says AICTE Amid COVID-19 Surge
- JEE Main 2021 May Session Postponed, Education Minister Confirms; Check Details
- JEE Main April 2021 Postponed Amid Spike In COVID-19 Cases, New Dates 15 Days Prior To Exam
- AICTE Says PCM Not Mandatory For Engineering: Boon or Bane?
- Dr Ramesh Pokhriyal Announces JEE Advanced 2021 For 3rd July, 75% Criteria Removed
JEE Advanced Reservation Criteria for PwD Candidate
In this category, people with 40% or more disability are given higher priority irrespective of whether it’s locomotive, visual or SEVERELY dyslexic. Preference is also given to Leprosy-cured candidates who are otherwise fit enough to take up the course. 5% of the seats are reserved for PwD (Persons with a disability) under each category mentioned below:
- OPEN i.e General
Information about the Medical Authority issuing the Disability Certificate
The following Report is required to be submitted by Dyslexic candidates:
- Handicap percentage should not be less than 40%
- Permanent disability only
- Issued from Govt. organization only
Facility of a Scribe
A scribe is a kind of substitute who writes the examination for a physically or mentally disabled person due to which he is restrained from writing the examination. In this process, the scribe reads out the question and writes/marks the answer in the OMR sheet after the candidate pronounces the final answer. For IIT JEE Advanced, a class 11 student from science stream having Mathematics as one of the subjects is taken to act as a scribe.
- PwD candidates (including Dyslexic, blind, lost fingers/hands, disability in upper limbs) are provided with the services of a scribe to mark responses in the OMR sheet if required.
- Send the Scribe Request form (find below) along with PwD Certificate/Dyslexia Evaluation report to Chairman, JEE Advanced uploaded during registration
- Candidates are not allowed to bring their own scribes. Zonal IITs arrange them for the candidates.
- Candidates meet their scribe one day prior to the exam in the presence of IIT representatives
- If discovered that candidate is not in the need of scribe, his evaluation, ranking, and admission will stand cancelled.
JEE Advanced Reservation Criteria for Defence Service Candidates
Candidates referred as Defence Service (DS) candidates are the children whose fathers acted as paramilitary personnel and got killed or permanently disabled in action during war or peacetime operations.
- Two seats are available for DS candidates as preferential allotment in each Institute.
- A DS candidate must be in the Common Rank List of JEE Advanced 2021 to avail this preferential allotment.
- Defense service candidates are required to submit a proforma of education scholarship- entitlement card for eligibility.
JEE Advanced Reservation Criteria for Foreign Candidates
If you are studying abroad or have studied at 10+2 level or equivalent when you registered for JEE Advanced 2021, you will be treated as foreign national.
- In this case, seats allotted to such candidates are supernumerary with a cap of 10% of the total number of seats in every course.
- Reservation of seats under the GEN-EWS, OBC-NCL, SC, ST and PwD (Persons with Disability) categories as specified are outside the scope of foreign nationals.
- The relevant information for foreign candidates is available on the official website.
- However, the seats allotted to candidates-
- Who have studied (are studying) in India at 10+2 level or equivalent
- AND are not citizens of India (by birth or naturalized)
- AND are NOT OCI/PIO card holders (AND their parents are also NOT OCI/PIO card holders AND their parents are also NOT Indian nationals).
At the time of registering for JEE Advanced 2020, their seats will be supernumerary. These candidates are outside the scope of reservation of seats under the GEN-EWS, OBC-NCL, SC, ST and PwD categories as specified. These candidates are also required to write JEE Main 2021 and qualify for JEE Advanced 2021 under the OPEN category.
FAQs on JEE Advanced Reservation Criteria
Ans. No, there is no reservation for boys as it is for girls. The reservations for girls are mainly to improve the gender balance within the undergraduate programs.
Last updated on December 16th, 2020 by user
Ans. No, once selected, you will not be allowed to change your category under any circumstances.
Ans. No, there isn’t any sports quota in IIT.
Ans. 2 seats are available for DS candidates as preferential allotment in each Institute.