IIT Delhi has released the information brochure of JEE Advanced 2020 on 6 March. It had details of registration dates, eligibility and more. NTA provides JEE Advanced 2020 reservation to SC, ST, OBC, PwD category candidates. The candidates must submit a document of the category to claim reservation. Candidates cannot make changes in the category after submitting it to the authority.
NTA will conduct JEE Advanced 2020 as a Computer Based Test (CBT). This year the registration fee of JEE Advanced 2020 is increased. Candidates will be able to fill the JEE Advanced Application Form 2020 from 1 to 6 May. The top 2,50,000 qualified students of JEE Main 2020 will be eligible to appear in JEE Advanced 2020.
The JEE Advanced exam will be held on August 23 for 12,463 seats in 23 IITs in the country. IIT Delhi will conduct the exam in two shifts from 9 am to 12 am and from 2:30 pm to 5:30 pm. This year the reservation of EWS category students in IITs has risen from 4% to 10%.
JEE Advanced Reservation
The government of India states that candidates belonging to SC/ST/OBC-NCL and EWS get admission under the seats reserved for them. The reservation of seats for every category are as follows:
|Category||Reservation of Seats|
Points to Remember
- The General category candidates can avail of the reservation benefits too. They will have to meet the conditions by the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment.
- Candidates won’t be able to claim the reservation if they are present in the state list and not in the central list. The criteria for Non-Creamy Layer will be as per the notification of the Government of India. A creamy layer of OBC Candidates is NOT entitled to reservation. These candidates will come under the General, unreserved category. They will be eligible only for the OPEN seats.
- The vacant seats reserved under GEN-EWS and OBC-NCL categories will be de-reserved to OPEN category seats.
- Though, seats vacant under the SC and ST categories will NOT be de-reserved to any category.
- The reservation for PwD candidates is horizontal. As a result, unfilled seats will be de-reserved to the respective categories, unfilled SC-PwD seats will convert to the SC category seats and so on.
- The authority will not entertain any request for changes in the category of a candidate. It will be the same as entered in the database of the JEE Apex Board. This will be final in the JEE Advanced 2020 examination.
Candidates should be among 2,50,000 in JEE Main Paper 1 to be eligible for JEE Advanced. The following table shows the order to be followed while choosing top 2,50,000 candidates in various categories:
|Category||Number of “Top” Candidates|
Document Required to claim JEE Advanced Reservation
Following are the documents that are required by all the candidates to claim the reservation:
- Class 10 mark sheet or birth certificate.
- Class 12 examination results (or equivalent certificate)
- In case of any changes in the name of the person, gazette notification for the same.
The documents required by the different categories of candidates are as follows:
- GEN-EWS category candidates: GEN-EWS certificate issued on or after April 01. This certificate must follow the latest guidelines of the GOI. If the certificate is not issued, they can submit a declaration.
- SC/ST category candidates must submit the original and attested photocopy of the SC/ST category certificate.
- OBC-NCL category candidates must submit an original and one attested photocopy of the OBC-NCL category certificate. A suitable authority should issue it.
- Candidates requiring the services of a scribe – Request letter to the chairman of the respective zonal IIT (FORM-SCRIBE)
- DS category candidates: Certificate DS issued by an authority in the Directorate of Resettlement and Rehabilitation, New Delhi.
The reservation depends on the verification of documents submitted by the candidate. If a candidate uses a false/fake/incorrect document or has input false information, to get the benefit of reservation, he/she will be from all admission processes. His admission will be canceled, if the admission was already given.
Latest News Updates
- NTA Re-opens JEE Main Application Form For Candidates, Last Date To Apply Is 24th May
- Turn Lockdown Period Into An Opportunity”, says Anand Kumar of Super 30 to JEE Aspirants
- JEE Main 2020 Syllabus not reduced, says NTA
- JEE Main 2020: Dates announced by the MHRD, Examination to be conducted from July 18 to 23, 2020
- New Batches for IITs and NITs to start in September 2020
JEE Advanced Reservation Criteria for PwD Candidates
In this category, people with 40% or more disability are given higher priority irrespective of whether it’s locomotive, visual or dyslexic. Preference to Leprosy-cured candidates who are otherwise fit enough to take up the course. 5% of the seats are reserved for PwD (Persons with disability) under various categories.
- OPEN i.e General
Information about the Medical Authority issuing the Disability Certificate
The following Report is required to be submitted by Dyslexic candidates:
- Handicap percentage should not be less than 40%
- Permanent disability only
- Issued from Govt. organization only.
JEE Advanced Reservation Criteria for Defence Service Candidates
Candidates referred as Defence Service (DS) candidates are the children whose father’s acted as paramilitary personnel and got killed or permanently disabled in action during war or peacetime operations.
- 2 seats are available for DS candidates as preferential allotment in each Institute.
- A DS candidate must be in the Common Rank List of JEE Advanced 2020, to avail of this preferential allotment.
- Defense service candidates required to submit proforma of education scholarship- entitlement card for eligibility.
JEE Advanced Reservation Criteria for Foreign Candidates
- If you are studying abroad or have studied at 10+2 level or equivalent when you registered for JEE Advanced 2020, you will be treated as foreign national.
- In this case, seats allotted to such candidates are supernumerary with a cap of 10% of the total number of seats in every course.
- Reservation of seats under the GEN-EWS, OBC-NCL, SC, ST and PwD (Persons with Disability) categories as specified are outside the scope of foreign nationals.
- These candidates are not required to take JEE Main 2020 and should register for JEE(Advanced)2020 directly subject to fulfillment of other eligibility criteria.
- The relevant information for foreign candidates is accessible at the official website
- However, the seats allotted to candidates
- Who have studied (are studying) in India at 10+2 level or equivalent
- AND are not citizens of India (by birth or naturalized)
- AND are NOT OCI/PIO card holders (AND their parents are also NOT OCI/PIO card holders AND their parents are also NOT Indian nationals)
At the time of registering for JEE Advanced 2020, will be supernumerary. These candidates are outside the scope of reservation of seats under the GEN-EWS, OBC-NCL, SC, ST and PwD categories as specified.
- These candidates are also required to write JEE Main 2020 and qualify for JEE Advanced 2020 under the OPEN category.
JEE Advanced Reservation Criteria for Female Candidates
A Minimum of 20% reservation is to be given to improve the gender balance within the undergraduate programs. This decision has been taken at the understanding of the IIT Council to, inter alia, into the IITs in 2020-21.
Thus, supernumerary seats will be created and offered to female candidates for improving the gender balance within IITs and this objective will be attained with the directions of the Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India.
These supernumerary seats are going to be offered
- To only those female candidates who are declared qualified in JEE Advanced 2020
- Strictly hinge on the performance in JEE Advanced 2020.
GEN-EWS Quota Details
Candidates from the general category whose family income is less than 8 lakhs annually are considered under the EWS for the benefit of Reservation. These candidates will be required to present an Income and Asset Certificate issued by a competent authority.
Who can’t access the EWS quota?
- Candidates whose families own 5 acres of agricultural land and above.
- Candidates who own a residential flat of 1,000 sq. ft. and above.
- Candidates whose parents possess a residential plot of 100 sq. yards and above in notified municipalities.
- Candidates whose parents own a residential plot of 200 sq. yards and above in areas other than the notified municipalities.
Authorities who can access Income and Asset Certificate
- District Magistrate/Additional District Magistrate/ Collector/ Deputy Commissioner/Additional’ Deputy Commissioner/ 1st Class Stipendiary Magistrate/ Sub-Divisional Magistrate/ Taluka Magistrate! Executive Magistrate/ Extra Assistant Commissioner
- Chief Presidency Magistrate/Additional Chief Presidency Magistrate/ Presidency Magistrate
- Revenue Officer not below the rank of Tehsildar
- Sub-Divisional Officer or the area where the candidate and/or his family normally resides
The reservation policy as per Government of India norms as existing at this time is going to be applicable to those supernumerary seats also. The detailed procedure for implementation of the above shall be commenced within the Business Rules of the Joint Seat Allocation Authority (JoSAA), 2020.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Ans. No, once selected, you will not be allowed to change your category under any circumstances.
Ans. No, there isn’t any sports quota in IIT.
Ans. 2 seats are available for DS candidates as preferential allotment in each Institute.