The Joint Seat Allocation Authority (JoSAA) is the conducting authority for JEE Advanced Counselling 2020 and seat allocation. It is conducted as a centralized counselling procedure for IITs. Candidates who qualify in JEE Advanced 2020 will be able to take part in the JEE Advanced Counselling process for IITs. JoSAA allots seats to candidates in IITs according to their All India Ranks scored in JEE Advanced.
Also Read | JEE Advanced Cutoff
The JoSAA administration will complete the JEE Advanced 2020 Counselling process in 7 stages. Around 107 institutes take part in JoSAA Counselling for JEE. Total 23 IITs offer more than 11,000 seats to candidates. Seat Matrix and courses of colleges are available at the JoSAA website – josaa.nic.in. There will be many other requisites in the JEE Advanced Counselling and seat allocation process. For instance – Registration, filling your choices, mock allocation, reporting to the college. In this article, we will discuss everything about these stages. And various steps for the admission, in detail.
JEE Main and JEE Advanced 2020 are both postponed due to COVID-19 outbreak in the country. Post-exam process such as counselling and admission is also delayed till September 2020. Academic calendar might start from October 2020 this year.
Important Dates for JEE Advanced 2020 Counselling
Counselling for all engineering colleges is now combined. Candidates who qualified JEE Main and JEE Advanced can take part in the JoSAA 2020 Counselling for the seat allocation. The candidates who have qualified in JEE Advanced 2020 will be able to take part in counselling for IITs through JoSAA Counselling only. But due to a combined window, students often call this counselling as JEE Advanced Counselling. Candidates can check the table below for important dates of JEE Advanced 2020 Counselling. Official dates are still due for announcement.
Candidates get admission to the IITs according to their AIRs in JEE Advanced 2020. Seat Allocating Authority or JoSAA conducts seven rounds of seat allocation. It also conducts two mock allocation rounds. Let us take a look at the dates-
|Events of JEE Advanced Counselling||Important Dates (Tentative)|
|JEE Main 2020 All India Rank Announced by Joint Apex Board||Yet to declare|
|Registration and option filling starts JoSAA 2020||Yet to declare|
|Mock Allocation – Round 1||Yet to declare|
|Mock Allocation – Round 2||Yet to declare|
|Last date for registration and option filling||Yet to declare|
|Round 1 – Seat Allocation||Yet to declare|
|Round 2 – Seat Allocation||Yet to declare|
|Round 3 – Seat Allocation||Yet to declare|
|Round 4 – Seat Allocation||Yet to declare|
|Round 5 – Seat Allocation||Yet to declare|
|Round 6 – Seat Allocation||Yet to declare|
|Round 7 – Seat Allocation||Yet to declare|
It may be noted that the schedule will remain the same even if any of the date above is declared a public holiday. All PwD candidates are eligible for one hour compensatory time, i.e., the end time will be 13:00 IST for Paper 1 and 18:30 IST for Paper 2 & Paper 3.
Eligibility Criteria for JEE Advanced Counselling
JEE Advanced 2020 Counselling will take place tentatively around September 2020. COVID-19 crisis all over the country has caused this delay in the exam as well as academic calendar. Candidates who fulfil the below eligibility conditions will be able to participate in the JEE Advanced 2020 Counselling.
- First, the candidate must have a valid rank in Common Rank List of JEE Advanced 2020.
- To take part in the JEE Advanced 2020 Counselling, it is necessary for the candidates to attain the qualified rank in JEE Advanced 2020.
- Candidates are required to score at least 75% marks in class 12th (or equivalent) exam. For candidates belonging to SC/ST, PwD category, 65% marks in 12th standard are compulsory.
- Candidates should remain in the top 20 percentile by category in the 12th class (or equivalent) board examination.
- Sometimes educational board may only offer letter grades in marksheet. So, the candidates are required to produce a letter from the board for calculating the aggregate marks. Else, the decision in such matter will be taken by the Joint Implementation Committee of JEE Advanced 2020.
JEE Advanced 2020 Result
- Due to the prevalent conditions of COVID-19 pandemic, JEE Advanced Result might be declared in the first week of September 2020.
- Candidates can check the JEE Advanced 2020 Result on the official website – jeeadv.ac.in – using Registration Number, DOB and Password.
- After the results of JEE Advanced, All India Ranks (AIR) and Category Ranks will be available. Candidates can check it using the JEE Advanced 2020 online portal.
- Candidates who score minimum marks in each subject/paper and aggregate score, will appear in JEE Advanced Merit List as well.
- The candidates will also receive text messages on their registered mobile numbers.
- Though individual rank cards will not be sent to any candidate.
JEE Advanced Tie Breaker Policy
It is possible that two or more candidates have the same score. This hampers the ranking table and thereby causing difficulty in JEE Advanced Counselling. In such a case, Tie-breaker policy is used for allocation of suitable ranks-
- First, aspirants with higher positive ranks will get a higher rank.
- Second, aspirants with greater marks in Maths will get a higher rank.
- Third, aspirants with greater marks in Physics will get a higher rank.
- Finally, if the tie still persists, then both candidates will get the same ranks.
JEE Advanced 2020 Counselling Process
The JEE Advanced Counselling process is divided in 4 steps. Let us take a detailed look at these steps.
Step 1 – Registration for JoSAA 2020 Counselling
Candidates will first have to register for the JEE Advanced 2020 Counselling process, which will be organized by JoSAA. Candidates have to use their JEE Main Registration Number and details to register at JoSAA website. After checking all the previously filled information, the candidates will have to confirm it again.
Step 2 – Filling and Locking of Choice
Candidates have to choose the college and course of their choice from the given options. In online JEE Advanced Counselling, choices can also be re-arranged until final choices are selected. Candidates can select a maximum of 50 choices. Once the candidates are sure of their choice, they have to lock it. If candidates do not lock the choices, it will automatically get locked on the last date. To be on a safe side, take a print out of the selected choices.
Step 3 – Seat Allotment
Exam administration will also conduct mock allocation for JEE Advanced 2020 Counselling. With this, candidates can know about their possible allocation as per their current choice. After the mock allocation, they will be able to make changes according to their choice.
JoSAA allots the seats on the basis of-
- Merit List
- Choice that is given
- Category of candidate
- Availability of seats
The exam administration will allocate seats in 7 phases. After every allocation, candidates have to choose their option from float, freeze and slide.
Step 4- Reporting at Centres
At the end, allotted candidates have to download their allotment letter. After this, they have to pay the fees for acceptance of seat. Certificates/Documents will be examined at the respective Zonal IIT centers. Finally, candidates have to report at the allotted institute for seat confirmation.
The seat acceptance fee for all categories are mentioned below.
|Category||Fee (in INR)|
|SC/ST & PwD||15000|
Some Important Points for Reporting at Zonal IIT
- If a candidate does not report at Zonal IIT before the last date, his/her seat will be forfeited.
- Candidates who are offered any upgraded seat have to give up their previous allotted seat.
- Payment of the fee is possible through any of the acceptable modes such as internet banking, credit card/debit card, UPI or e-challan.
- The applicants must also upload the scanned copy of marksheet of class 12th at the online portal.
- Once the candidate is allotted a seat in any of the 7 rounds, he/she has to report to the zonal IIT to confirm the alloted seat. Provisional Allotment Letter will mention the last date and time for reporting.
JEE Advanced Rank List
Rank List for JEE Advanced 2020 is prepared based on the total scores of Paper 1 and 2 in Physics, Chemistry and Maths. Given below is the minimum criteria to be in the merit rank list which might assure you a good chance of getting into an IIT.
|Rank List||Minimum percentage of marks in each subject||Minimum percentage of aggregate marks|
|Common rank list (CRL)||10.0||35.0|
|GEN-EWS rank list||9.0||31.5|
|OBC-NCL rank list||9.0||31.5|
|SC rank list||5.0||17.5|
|ST rank list||5.0||17.5|
|Common-PwD rank list (CRL-PwD)||5.0||17.5|
|GEN-EWS-PwD rank list||5.0||17.5|
|OBC-NCL-PwD rank list||5.0||17.5|
|SC-PwD rank list||5.0||17.5|
|ST-PwD rank list||5.0||17.5|
|Preparatory course rank list||2.5||8.75|
Number of Seats in IITs
Given below is a list showing the total number of seats in 23 IITs. Program-wise data is available of the website of JoSAA.
|S.No||Name of the Institute||Total Number of B.Tech Seats|
|21||IIT (ISM) Dhanbad||951|
|23||IIT (BHU) Varanasi||1011|
Aspirants can check the 2019 program-wise seat matrix for all 23 IITs. To download the PDF for seat matrix of IITs – Click here.
JEE Advanced Counselling: Provisional Admission
To allow only eligible candidates for admission, colleges provide provisional admission. After the final reporting at Zonal IIT, institutes issue final allotment letter. This allotment letter will grant the provisional admission to the candidate. But, this admission is subject to verification of documents and certificates. The college cancels the admission if a candidate provides false information. So, make sure to provide all the correct information only.
Documents Required for Provisional Admission
Candidates are required to submit the original and attested photocopy of the following documents for the verification process:-
- Seat Allotment Letter of JEE Advanced 2020
- JEE Advanced 2020 Admit Card
- JEE Advanced 2020 Application Form
- Properly filled medical examination report
- Date of birth certificate: 10th class / HSC / Birth certificate / Any other certificate as proof of date of birth
- 12th class / SSC / equivalent examination mark sheet and passing certificate
- Category Certificate (OBC (NCL) / SC / ST / PWD / DS) issued by competent authority
- For foreign nationals: Attested photocopy of passport page containing name, photo and nationality information