Indian Institute of Information Technology, Kalyani, West Bengal which was established in 2014, has been bestowed with the status of Institute of National Importance (INI) by the cabinet in March 2017 under the IIIT Act.The institute is founded by Government of India (Ministry of Education), Government of West Bengal and industry partners (Coal India Ltd. and Rolta Foundation) on N-PPP (Not-for-profit Public Private Partnership) model with fund-ratio of 50:35:15 respectively by the three parties.
IIIT Kalyani offers B.Tech, M.Tech and Ph.D. programmes. For UG programmes, there are two specializations like – Computer Science and Engineering, Electronics and Communication Engineering. The four years B.Tech programme is a flagship programme of the college. The students can do M.Tech in one specialization which is Artificial Intelligence and Data Science and Ph.D under three departments which are Engineering, Science, Humanities and Social Science. Admission of the B.Tech programme is on the basis of JEE main. The students who can allocate their seat as per JOSAA norms can apply for the programme.
Students of IIIT Kalyani have participated in national level sports events organised by other IIITs. They have also achieved some awards in Hackathons at the national level. In Smart India Hackathon 2019 the university bagged 1st and 2nd prize. A team of 2 students is selected for Hackathon Bangalore,2021. A team of 4 students won best hardware hack at Hack-A-Bit 2018, Mesra. A team of 14 students is selected for the Hack of IIIT Allahabad in 2020-2021.
IIIT Kalyani Key Points
IIIT Kalyani contributes very much for the welfare of the nation with their knowledgeable faculty, high placement drive, tuition fee waiver scholarship etc. Some of these are mentioned below:
- Faculty- As the institute is mentored by IIT Kharagpur, the faculty is well enriched, qualified, knowledgeable and helpful. Their teaching quality is very lucid. The institute encourages its faculty members to submit their research proposals to various government sponsored agencies like – DST, MEITY, SERB etc.
- Placement- The institute is new. So, it’s placement graph is still improving. The average salary package for the starting batch was 3-3.5 LPA and it was nearly the same for the second batch.
- Nearly 45 students of the 2016 batch registered for the final placement drive and among them 37 students could get jobs. Some of the top recruiters are – Jio, Deloitte, Capgemini, Wipro, Infosys etc.
- New Program- Workshop on Geometric Algorithms has started from April,2021. Mainly scientists, researchers, industry professionals and faculty members of various institutes can join in this program.
IIIT Kalyani Courses and Fees
IIIT Kalyani offers B.Tech, M.Tech and Ph.D. courses in one, one and three specializations respectively. The eligibility, selection criteria, fee structure, duration etc are mentioned below:
|Program||Program Details||Selection Basis|
||JEE main exam for the students alloted by JOSAA.|
||It is based on WAT and PI taken by the admission committee of the institute.|
||GATE, NET qualified followed by WAT and PI taken by the admission committee of the institute.|
IIIT Kalyani Cut Off
IIIT Kalyani offers UG admission in only one specialization that is on Computer Science and Engineering. Aspirants can apply through JEE main result but the final selection is done by JOSAA counselling. The first round of closing and opening ranks for JEE main 2020 cutoff of
IIIT Kalyani for B.Tech course is mentioned below:
|B.Tech Computer Science and Engineering||10559-27946||8600-10672||4170-6426||2719-3405||4568-4754||766-1010|
IIIT Kalyani Placements
The placement drive of IIIT Kalyani maintains a commendable performance from its founding year to recent year. It has a permanent training and placement cell which works under the guidance of IIT Kharagpur. The students receive both on campus and off campus placement offers. Some of the statistics for the recent years are noted below:
- Total students selected from the 2014-2018 batch are 32.
- The highest CTC from 2017-2018 year was INR 10LPA and the average CTC was INR 3LPA.
- The highest CTC of 2019-2020 year was INR 17 LPA which is offered by Jio and the average CTC was INR 6.2 LPA.
- Total 82% students get placements from 2016-2020 batch.
- Jio, Cognizant, Tata Consultancy, Kuliza, REDSKY, MAQ Software etc companies participated in the 2016-2020 placement drive.
IIIT Kalyani Scholarships
IIIT Kalyani offers various central and state government schemes for the students. There will be a tuition fee waiver scheme for the low family income students.
- Tuition fee waiver scheme is given strictly on merit based as per the notification of West Bengal Government. General and OBC students whose family income is less than 1lac per year, can get full tuition fee remission.
- Beside this, SC, ST and PWD students also get full remission.
- Some scholarships provided for IIIT Kalyani B.Tech students are Muskhyamantri Medhavi Vidhyarthi Yojna (full fees for the govt. college and 1.5 LPA for private college), Partial freeship scholarship scheme by Government of West Bengal, Vidya Lakshmi Yojna etc.
IIIT Kalyani FAQs
Ans. IIIT Kalyani provides various kinds of facilities for the welfare and proper development of the students. Here are well organized Software and Hardware Labs, Library, Hostel, Medical Services, Cafeteria etc. The institute also has Film and Media Club(FMC), Symphony (Music club) and Alcoholic(Technical club). Besides, the institute has a great contribution in the sports field and it always inspires the students to take part in the inter college sports competitions like the Inter IIT sports meet and GUSTO organised by IIIT Jabalpur.
Ans. The National Programme on Technology Enhanced Learning was built with seven IITs and IISc of Bangalore in 2003. NPTEL has many local chapters in the form of colleges and each chapter has a coordinator who is closely associated with NPTEL. IIIT Kalyani is one of those local chapters with the coordinator Dr.Imon Mukherjee who actively encourages the students for online certification courses.
Ans. The Institute has a good campus with required infrastructure. The existing campus consists of a well equipped building, well connected area(kalyani- Barrackpore highway, Kalyani railway), air conditioned classroom, modest laboratory etc. The institute currently has an interim campus at WEBEL IT Park, Kalyani. The work order for the permanent campus has been released already by CPWD and the work is going to start within the next few months.
Ans. The session starts from 1st week of July and ends in the last week of April next year . During this time span there are two semesters namely Autumn semester(1st week of July- last week of November) and Spring semester (1st week of January – last week of April).