Latest Updates on IIT Roorkee: It has been declared that the 12th marks eligibility criteria for admission to IITs is no more required. All candidates who have qualified 12th boards & JEE Main are eligible for JEE Advanced 2020. It is being considered as temporary relaxation of the rule amid COVID-19 pandemic. Read More
Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Roorkee is one of the top engineering colleges of the country that offers various Undergraduate, Postgraduate and Ph.D. programs in 23 different academic departments. As per the NIRF ranking, IIT Roorkee stands on the 6th position in the engineering category.
- IIT Roorkee offers undergraduate, postgraduate, doctorate and dual degree programs in around 10 different specializations.
- Competing with all IITs in India, the institute offers admissions in different courses like B.Tech., M.Tech., B.Tech. + M.Tech., Ph.D., Integrated M.Sc. and Ph.D. programs to the aspirants.
- The admissions are made on the basis of the marks secured in the national level entrance exams that are accepted at IIT Roorkee including JEE Mains, JEE Advanced, GATE, JAM, CAT etc.
- The college offers several facilities including sports, extracurriculars, accommodation, central library etc.
- The institute has a central placement cell and offers excellent placement records from the last few years from the top recruiters of the industry.
IIT Roorkee – Key Highlights
|Type of Programs||UG, PG and PhD and Dual degree programs|
|Admission Criteria||JEE Main and 10+2 scores (for B.Tech.)|
|Entrance Exams||JEE Main, JEE Advanced, GATE, JAM, CAT|
IIT Roorkee: B.Tech. Admissions Through JEE Advanced
The selection of candidates for B. Tech courses at IIT Roorkee are granted based on the marks obtained in JEE Advanced. After that, the counseling process starts, which is managed and regulated by the Joint Seat Allocation Authority (JoSAA).
The shortlisted candidates will be allotted seats in seven rounds of JoSAA counseling and the seat allotment will be done based on the college cutoff and individual’s preference of courses and colleges.
IIT Roorkee Eligibility Criteria
- The candidate needs to obtain a minimum 75 percent aggregate (SC/ST category can apply with 65% marks) in Class 12 from a recognised board of education.
- Candidates who are among the top 20 percentile in Class 12 are eligible to apply.
- Candidates performance in JEE Main 2020 will be considered, they need to be among the top 2,45,000 in JEE Main 2020 Paper 1
Admissions at IIT Roorkee is a two-step process; first the students need to qualify the JEE Main exam and then take the JEE Advanced exam.
Final selection will be based on JEE Advanced rank and through JoSAA Counselling.
IIT Roorkee Admission Process for B. Tech via JEE Advanced 2020
- IIT Roorkee B. Tech admission generally starts from the month of September with JEE Main Application.
- Admission to the B. Tech course is granted based on the candidate’s JEE Advanced rank followed by JoSAA counseling. To be eligible for admission to UG programs, candidates need to meet the eligibility criteria of JEE Main and JEE Advanced.
B.Tech Courses Offered at IIT Roorkee
Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee offers a variety of courses under different specializations. Given below are the details for the same:
|B.Tech||Biotechnology||Intermediate graduate with 75% marks with PCM/PCB, or be in the top 20 percentile in the 12th class examination|
|Electronics & Communication Engg.|
|B.Arch||Architecture||75% marks in the 12th class examination, or be in the top 20 percentile in the 12th class examination|
JEE Advanced Cut Offs For Top Courses At IIT Roorkee
Indian Institute of Technology, Roorkee offers admission in B.Tech. program for four years in various streams mentioned below:
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Science Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Electronics and Communication Engineering
- Engineering Physics
- Mechanical Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
Tabulated below are the JEE Advanced cutoffs for admission to the B.Tech program at Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee:
|Department Name||JEE Advanced Cut-offs|
|Computer Science & Engineering||234-1386|
|Electronics & Communication Engineering||852-3509|
Study At IIT Roorkee During COVID – 19
- In the time when the world is in the midst of COVID – 19 pandemic, the institute has taken various initiatives to provide e- learning to the students enrolled in the institute.
- The institute has scrapped the one to one face classroom teaching for the entire year and started the online teaching program for the rest of the semesters.
- IIT Roorkee has made tie ups with Deep Learning Cloud x Lab, Spark Internship Program, Cloud x Lab Webinar to assist students in learning and work from home internships.
Why Choose IIT Roorkee?
- IIT Roorkee is one of the top engineering institutes among 23 other IITs in the country that offers various courses like B.Tech., M.Tech., Dual degree programs and doctorate level courses.
- The institute is placed at 6th rank in the NIRF ranking 2020 by MHRD.
- The different courses offered are B.Tech., M.Tech., B.Tech. + M.Tech., Ph.D., Integrated M.Sc. and Ph.D. programs.
- The college offers several facilities including sports, extracurriculars, accommodation, central library etc. The institute has a central placement cell and offers excellent placement records from the last few years from the top recruiters of the industry.
IIT Roorkee JEE Advanced 2019 Cut Off
Tabulated below are the JEE Advanced cut offs for different categories for admission to the B.Tech program at Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee:
Computer Science and Engineering
Electronics and Communication Engineering
Latest News Updates
- TNEA 2020 Online Counselling Registration Begins from July 15
- SRMJEEE 2020 Cancelled Amid COVID-19
- Live Update: JEE Main and JEE Advanced 2020 Postponed, New Dates Set For September
- Turn Lockdown Period Into An Opportunity”, says Anand Kumar of Super 30 to JEE Aspirants
- JEE Main 2020: Dates announced by the MHRD, Examination to be conducted from July 18 to 23, 2020
Metallurgical and Materials Engineering
Polymer Science and Engineering
Production and Industrial Engineering
Architecture (5 Years)
IIT Roorkee: Reservation Through JEE Advanced Counselling (JoSAA)
- JoSAA (Joint Seat Allocation Authority) is responsible for the allotment of seats through JEE Advanced at various courses at 23 different IITs all over the country.
- A total of 107 institutes participate in JoSAA counseling.
- JoSAA conducts three main processes of Registering, Filling and Locking Choices. The seats are allotted to students based on their All India Rank in the qualifying exam.
|Category||Reservation Of Seats (In Percentage)|
|OBC Candidates (non-creamy layer)||27%|
|PwD (40% or more disability)||3%|
Faculty At IIT Roorkee
The Institute is known to have experienced and educated faculty members. Each department invites prospective, motivated, outstanding candidates. Currently, the institute has 369 regular faculty members, 9 Emeritus Fellows, and 17 Scientific and other academic staff. Prof. Ajit K. Chaturvedi is the director of IIT Roorkee and has served the Electronics Engineering Department at IIT BHU. All other faculty members have been conferred with several awards at the national and international levels. Several faculty members had also served on the Editorial Board of international and national journals.
Various Facilities Provided At IIT Roorkee
IIT Roorkee has a lush green and a huge campus that spans over a large area. Being on equal footing with other old IITs across India, the college has a number of provisions available for students. Some of these facilities are as follows:
- Hostel Facility: IIT Roorkee has separate hostels for boys and girls. The hostels are completely secure with 24/7 tight security along with the other facilities including wi-fi facility, laundry, banking facility with ATM counter and cooling system.
- Library: The library is named Mahatma Gandhi Central Library. It has a collection of more than 3,50,000 documents in all media. The library building is Wi-Fi empowered with 75 terminals for browsing through online books and journals. It can accommodate more than 500 readers at a time. The institute has a well- stocked library with all the books available for the students of all the courses.
- Well experienced and Highly qualified faculty: The University is known for having world class faculty with the work experience of more than 20 years. All the faculty members are highly qualified and strive to impart education in the best possible way they can.
- Canteen and Food: Eateries are available at the hostel as well as other areas in and around campus.
There are many other facilities available for the students like transport, hygiene, travel, hostel, library, cafeteria, gym, medical etc.
IIT Roorkee: Placement Report
Department of Management Studies (DOMS) of IIT Roorkee is well known for its placements. It consists of two sessions for placement namely Executive and Summer recruitment process. The following table presents the placement statistics for the year 2018-19:
|Highest CTC Offered||INR 17.85 LPA (Domestic)
INR 57 LPA (International)
|Total no. of companies visited||39|
|Number of first-time participants||17|
IIT Roorkee top recruiters include Cognizant, HDFC Bank, Vedanta, GAIL Limited, OYO, Zomato, Snapdeal, Deloitte, Indian Oil, IDBI Bank, Bank of India, Tata Consultancy Services, Bajaj Allianz, Jindal Group, Bank of Baroda, Bajaj etc.
IIT Roorkee Scholarships
Following are the scholarships and awards provided by the Institute to deserving and needy students:
- Merit-cum-means Scholarship: The Institute offers this scholarship to 25% of the students in undergraduate programs. The students admitted to M.Sc 2nd year can also apply for this.
- Engineers India Limited Scholarship: This award is available to students belonging to Scheduled Caste/ Scheduled Tribe categories. They must be pursuing a full-time undergraduate engineering course.
- James Thomason Scholarship: The students having up to 275 All India Rank in JEE Advanced are eligible to apply for this. All such students will be given an amount of INR 25000 per month for the entire duration of their program.
- Excellence in Doctoral Research Award: An amount of INR 50,000 will be given to students receiving their Ph.D. degrees. The selection criteria will be based on their thesis report, interview, and presentation.
Apart from these, the Institute also offers fee waivers for students studying in 1st year of B.Tech, B.Arch, Int. M.Tech, M.Sc. Free mess facility is also available for students belonging to Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes
Tuition Fees For Courses Offered At IIT Roorkee
For B.Tech. Programs:
|Course Name||Eligibility||Tuition Fee|
|B.Tech||JEE Advanced; Intermediate graduate with 75% marks with PCM/PCB, or be in the top 20 percentile in the 12th class examination||INR ₹2.13 Lakhs per year|
|B.Arch||B.Tech and B.Arch – JEE Advanced; B.Arch – NATA; At Least 75% in 10+2 exams||INR 8.41 lakhs (for 5 years)|
|Economically Backward sections (Salary less than 1 lacs)||Not Chargeable|
|Economically Backward Sections (Salary between 1 lacs and 5 lacs)||33333|
|Particulars||Amount in INR|
IIT Roorkee FAQs
Updated onAns. Yes, College provides hostel facilities for both boys and girls. The hostels are completely secure with 24/7 tight security along with the other facilities including wi-fi facility, laundry, banking facility with ATM counter and cooling system.
Ans. IIT Roorkee offers 11 courses across different streams. The courses offered are in the field of science and engineering. The undergraduate course offered is B.Tech across different branches like Civil, Electrical, Electronics and Telecommunication etc. The PG courses offered are M.Tech. and M.Sc. The other programs offered at the institute are B.Sc. + M.Sc., LLM, MBA, B.Tech. + M.Tech. etc.
Ans. The institute offers many facilities like Hostel, Library, Canteen, Transport, Sports, Auditorium, Clubs and Committees etc. The college has world class infrastructure and highly experienced and well- educated faculty members.
Ans. Yes, a candidate has to clear the GATE entrance test in order to be eligible for the admission in M.Tech. course.
Ans. Admissions to these programs will be done on the basis of eligibility and selection criteria set by the college. In order to be eligible for the course, candidate must have passed higher Secondary examination of the (10+2) or any other examination equivalent there to with minimum of 45% marks (40% marks for OBC/ MBC and SC/ST candidates) in aggregate of subjects- Mathematics, Physics and any one of the following optional subjects: Chemistry /Biotechnology/Computer Science/Biology (Botany & Zoology).