Last updated on October 28th, 2020 at 05:16 pm
Indian Institute of Technology Jammu (IIT Jammu) was established in 2016, under the mentorship of IIT Delhi. It is considered an ‘Institute of National Importance’ under the “Institutes of Technology Act 1961”. The permanent IIT Jammu campus in Jagti village offers a beautiful view of the Trikuta hills, a natural landscape between the dense greenery.
- IIT Jammu has an intake of around 200 students every year as per the seat matrix. Currently, there are over 600 students, with 90 talented faculty members.
- The admission of the students is made through the merit basis according to the results of the various common entrance exams like JEE Advanced for B.Tech and IIT JAM for M.Tech.
- IIT Jammu offers programmes at all the following levels of education- Undergraduate, Postgraduate, and PhD.
- The IIT Jammu Cut Off goes slightly lower than other top IITs. Thus, seat allotment in desired branches of IIT Jammu is comparatively easier.
IIT Jammu: Highlights
|Type||Autonomous Engineering Institute|
|Campus Area||400 acres|
|Level of the Courses||UG, PG and PhD|
|Entrance Test||JEE Advanced, IIT JAM|
IIT Jammu: B.Tech Admissions via JEE Advanced
IITJammu Admission process is managed and carried under the authority of the Joint Admission Board (JAB). Joint Seat Allocation Authority or JoSAA conducts the counselling for various participating institutes in India.
B.Tech Courses Offered
Initially, IIT Jammu began classes with B.Tech courses in the year 2016 with just three departments. Within four years, IIT Jammu has included more disciplines with each year intake of around 30 students for all streams. Currently, the specialisation programs in B.Tech at IIT Jammu are as follows:
- Chemical Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Computer Science and Engineering
- Materials Engineering
Eligibility at IIT Jammu for B.Tech
For getting admission into the UG courses in IIT Jammu, the students need to meet the following conditions:
- Eligibility for JEE Main – Candidate should have obtained at least 75% marks in 10+2 or equivalent qualifying exam or should be in the top 20% percentile of their recognised Central or State board. However, for 2020 admissions, candidates are just required to pass Class XII.
- Eligibility for JEE Advanced – Candidate must be in the top 2.5 lakh qualifying candidates of JEE Main (including the reserved categories) in Paper 1 of JEE Main.
Finally, the college has no separate rules/eligibility criteria for admission. Moreover, unlike NITs, IITs do not have any reservation under state domiciles.
IIT Jammu Cut Off for Top B.Tech Courses
The following table shows the IIT Jammu cut off (closing) ranks after the final round of JoSAA counselling in 2019. The cut-offs below are for gender-neutral candidates under general category.
|Course||2019 Cut Off (OR-CR)|
|Computer Science and Engineering||3726-5536|
|Materials Science Engineering||11406-12931|
Study At IIT Jammu During COVID-19
As a result of the Coronavirus Pandemic, the Institute has laid down various guidelines and Standard of Operating Procedures (SOP’s) to curb the spread of the infection at the campus. Proper preventive measures have been taken:
- Compulsory social distancing
- Regular disinfection of the surfaces
- Thermal scanning of the people entering the campus
- Covering of face with masks is to be strictly followed
Apart from this, all the work meetings and lectures and other interactions with the students will be done via online means (video conferencing) as far as possible. All the communication with the students and the study material will be provided through online modes.
Why Choose IIT Jammu?
When there are other top IITs and tier-2 IITs, where you can get a seat, then why should you consider IIT Jammu? Could IIT Jammu help in the growth aspect of your career in engineering? Yes, it definitely can. Given below are some bullets to consider-
- Beautiful Campus –
- There’s no doubt that campus is one of the core reasons why students make their choices as IIT Jammu has a beautiful campus.
- Also, the new permanent campus has been recently established in a vast area of 400 acres, surrounded by lush greenery.
- Faculty –
- The most essential part of every college is its faculty because it is the ‘guru’ who nourishes the student.
- Even though IIT Jammu has been recently established, the college has been able to engage highly experienced and intellectual faculty. IIT Jammu Faculty has also been discussed in some detail below.
- Career Prospects –
- IITs have an outstanding career prospect for all its students.
- Being an IITian outshines the student from other individuals.
- With IIT Jammu, you’ll be able to build your career in the right direction and at a quick pace.
- The college has various facilities to improve your practical experience in technical education.
IIT Jammu Cut Off 2019 For B.Tech Specializations
Given below are the IIT Jammu Cut Off 2019, taken from 7th Round of JoSAA Counselling 2019. The cut-offs are divided into Gender-Neutral and Female category candidates with further cut-offs as per seat reservation rules.
Computer Science and Engineering
Materials Science and Engineering
Latest News Updates
- JEE Main 2021: Mr Ramesh Pokhriyal Directs NTA to Draft a Fresh Syllabus
- JEE Main 2021 Delayed Till February, JEE Advanced 2021 Syllabus Being Reviewed
- JAC Delhi 2020 Counselling: Seat Allotment Result For Round 3 Declared
- IIT Kharagpur Will Conduct JEE Advanced 2021
- CSAB 2020 Special Rounds Counselling Schedule Released
Reservation at IIT Jammu
All the government universities follow the rules laid down by the Supreme Court of India. As per the JoSAA Rules, reservation criteria followed at IIT Jammu is given below-
Along with this, PwD reservation of 5% is applicable in all categories. IITs also follow reservations for female candidates in all B.Tech branches. Currently, there are 44 seats reserved for the female category as per JoSAA Seat matrix for IIT Jammu.
Various Facilities Provided at IIT Jammu
There are several comfortable and easily accessible facilities available to the students of IIT Jammu that ease their daily life. Along with this, IIT Jammu also houses various educational and research facilities to promote practical learning.
- The hostel lodging for students is offered close to the academic buildings so that travelling is easier. The new campus has fully-fledged hostels designed to accommodate more than 600 students.
- Apart from this, other necessities are provided near the students’ accommodation area such as cafeteria, laundry services, music room, open gym, open-air theatre, medical aids. For leisure activities, a television in the common halls is provided in hostels.
- Sports facilities like Basketball, Table Tennis, Snooker are made available to the students to engage in extracurricular activities.
- The on-campus necessities like ATM and banking facilities are offered at the ICICI, Canara Bank and J&K bank situated near the residential area.
- New technology equipped lecture rooms, open internet facility and Central Computing Facility (CCF) to provide access to the network to all the students, staff, and faculty have been established.
- There are a number of different social and cultural clubs where students, according to their interests, can upgrade their skills. This is promoted for the holistic development of the students’ mind through various interesting activities.
Apart from this, importance is also given to the cultural and social fests and technical workshops that intend to instil the creative growth of the students’ minds. Thus, this multi-directional approach helps in the all-round development of the IITians.
Faculty at IIT Jammu
The faculty at IIT Jammu is bundled with highly experienced professors and lecturers with a dynamic enthusiasm in teaching approach. Almost all the faculty members are PhDs from top IITs and other foreign universities.
- IIT Jammu has a mix of young as well as experienced faculty members.
- More than 50 regular faculty members are present with around 16 adjunct faculty members from various foreign universities.
- Almost all faculty members are part of research projects at IIT Jammu.
- Faculty to student ratio is around 1:16 which is a bit high considering newer IITs.
- However, due to batches with bright and intellectual students, quality of education is top-notch.
IIT Jammu Placements
Since the first batch at the Indian Institute of Technology Jammu started in the year 2016, placement drives for the same are still due to be conducted. It focuses on all-round development and not just the theoretical rote learning ability of the students.
- IIT Jammu Placement cell commencing from the year 2017, came up with the idea to bring a complete revolution in the lives of the students by enhancing and providing training at different levels.
- Lectures on different technical skills, communication skills, interview skills and various workshops were conducted this year by IIT Jammu to bring professionalism in the students.
- Various lectures by external experts have also been a part of training for students leading them towards the right path.
Internships and Training Programs
The Training and Placement Cell (TPC) of the Indian Institute of Technology Jammu has been working efficiently with the student body from all the departments to keep track of the immediate needs and requirements of the students. To improve placement drives, TPC is focusing on-
- Group Discussions
- Research opportunities
To bridge the gap between the students and the industry, the placement cell provides a platform for the students to pursue internships at other Indian Institutes of Technology, foreign universities, PSUs, and other top-notch companies. Few of the organizations where students underwent internships included Adani Group, Amazon, IIT Bombay, Mojo Networks, Apollo Tyres, ISI Kolkata, Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd., BOSCH, National Instruments (NI) and more.
Scholarships Offered at IIT Jammu
The following is the list of IIT Jammu scholarships which are available to the undergraduate students who are admitted here on the basis of JEE Advanced results:
- Merit Cum Means (MCM) Scholarship –
- The Merit Cum Means scholarship will be awarded to at most 25% of undergraduate Bachelor of Technology students.
- The annual income of parents should not be more than INR 5,00,000.
- The scholarship amount of Merit Cum Means student grant is INR 1000 per month.
- In addition to this, the tuition fee of INR 1,00,000/semester is exempt for students.
- Free Messing Scholarship –
- Students belonging to Scheduled Caste and Scheduled Tribe (SC/ST) will be relieved from the Tuition Fee for B.Tech Course.
- The conveniences of free messing (only basic menu included) and a pocket allowance of INR 250 per month will be granted to SC/ST students who fulfil the criteria.
- These students will also be exempted from the payment of the student accommodation rent provided they full the criteria for this scholarship.
Criteria to Avail Freeship Scholarships
- Merit Criterion:
- To avail the benefit of this financial aid, the newly admitted students (B.Tech students) can apply for the merit-based scholarship on the basis of their JEE All India Rank or the 1st-semester results (i.e. SGPA-Semester Grade Point Average).
- Means Criterion:
- To avail the benefit of the allowance, the students whose Gross Parental Income is not more than INR 5,00,000 are eligible for the means-based scholarships.
- The students can apply for the same after submitting the income proof documents of parents.
IIT Jammu Fees Structure for B.Tech Courses
IIT Jammu has a similar fee structure as other tier-2 IITs. The scholarship rules apply to Indian Institute of Technology Jammu as per the Government of India norms. Hence, SC/ST/PwD and EWS categories are exempt fully or partially from paying tuition fees. The IIT Jammu fees for the B.Tech courses is as follows:
|Hostel Rent + Amenity / sem||10,750|
|One Time Fees (During Admission)||6,650|
- As mentioned in the scholarships head, SC/ST students can also avail free messing and accommodation facilities at IIT Jammu.
- General category students with weak financial background can also avail the same based on merit-cum-mean criteria.
IIT Jammu: FAQs
Ans. Jammu city has a well-connected transport system and connectivity with the rest of the country. Jammu Airport at Satwari is 15 km away. Also, Jammu is connected to many cities through trains. Station is about 13 km away from the campus.
Ans. The first batch of IIT Jammu was admitted in 2016. Hence, the first placements will be conducted in 2020-2021. However, summer internships have seen students grabbing good stipends from top companies of the world.
Ans. Currently, IIT Jammu has a total intake of 213 students. The batches are composed of around 34 to 40 students. Overall, there are 90 seats under the open category.