Last updated on August 20th, 2021 by user
Indian Institute of Technology Indore is one of the highly praised IITs of India and is known for its leading-edge education and seamless high-calibre efficiency in nurturing coherent scholars. Also known as IIT Indore or IITI, it is one of the eight recent Indian Institutes of Technology that has been established by the Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India under The Institutes of Technology (Amendment) Act, 2011.
- Established on 17 February 2009, the esteemed institute is located in the outskirts of the city near Simrol, Indore, Madhya Pradesh.
- The founding stone of IIT Indore was laid by Arjun Singh, the then HRD minister of India.
- National Institutional Ranking Framework or NIRF 2020 ranks IIT Indore at 10th place in the top engineering institutes across India.
- Previously in 2016, this college was ranked at 16th rank. This speaks volumes about the efficiency of IIT Indore in terms of overall development within a few years.
- IIT Indore is ranked as the second best technical institute of India by Times Higher Education Rankings, just behind IISc Bangalore.
- On a global scale, this renowned institute ranks in 351-400 out of the top 1000 educational institutes in 2020 as per The World University Rankings.
IIT Indore Highlights
|Programs Offered||B.Tech, M.Tech, M.Sc, MS by Research, PhD|
|Accepted Exams||JEE Advanced, GATE, IIT JAM|
|Admission Criteria for B.Tech||JEE Advanced and 10+2 scores|
IIT Indore: Admissions via JEE Advanced 2021
IIT Indore furnishes a diverse number of comprehensive courses for in-depth understanding in the stream of Engineering as well as other disciplines. The admission to these courses is a derivative of the performance of the candidate in JEE Advanced and the course-wise cut off marks set under JoSAA Counselling. The admissions are conducted by JoSAA under a 6 round counselling process.
Courses Offered at IIT Indore
Following are the 5 disciplines offered at Indian Institute of Technology Indore for B.Tech course–
- Electrical Engineering
- Metallurgical and Materials Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Computer Science and Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- B.Tech Courses Offered at IIIT Hyderabad
- Advantages of Pursuing Dual Degree (B.Tech + M.Tech) in IIT Kharagpur
Eligibility for B.Tech at IIT Indore
To be eligible for B.Tech at IIT Indore, one must fulfil these requirements-
- JEE Advanced Scores are compulsory for admission. Minimum cut off of JEE Advanced must be cleared.
- The minimum aggregate percentage of 10+2 is 75% for Gen/OBC category and 65% for SC/ST/PwD categories.
The institute also provides B.Tech + M.Tech courses in various specialisations. It is an integrated 5-year course offered by IIT Indore. However, the eligibility will be considered at the end of 6th semester (3rd year) and the 4-year B.Tech course can be converted into a 5-year B.Tech + M.Tech course at Indian Institute of Technology Indore. Students opting for integrated courses are benefitting 1 year, as pursuing both of them separately would count for 6 years and each year consumed during this stage is very crucial for the career.
IIT Indore Cut Off for Top Courses at JEE Advanced Counselling
Though the IIT Indore cut off ranks is slightly lower than other top-tier IITs like IIT Kanpur, IIT Roorkee etc, it is still pretty high on an overall scale. Indian Institute of Technology (IITs) are the most preferred educational institutes for aspirants in India because of the high educational standards along with other perks that they sustain. The aspirant must clear the JEE Main Cut Off and qualify for JEE Advanced. After this, the JEE Advanced exam must be cleared to enter the rank lists of various categories. Check JEE Advanced Exam Pattern
The JEE Advanced Cut Off / Closing Ranks (general category, male) for the top B.Tech courses at IIT Indore for the year 2019 & 2020 are listed below-
|Courses||Cut Off 2019||Cut Off 2020|
|Computer Science and Engineering||1067||1222|
|Metallurgical Engineering and Materials Science||9795||9878|
IIT Indore Cut Off were slightly higher in 2020 as compared to 2019 for most of the courses. The increase in the cut off was only by some 100s.
Is it Possible To Study at IIT Indore Amid COVID-19?
As the impact of Covid-19 continues to expand exponentially, IITs have been conducting the classes in online mode to ensure that students don’t recede in their curriculum. Given below are some steps taken by the Indian Institute of Technology Indore authorities in order to battle COVID-19 and provide continuous learning opportunities to students-
- The faculty members at IIT Indore have opted for this online mode and are well engaged in assisting and crafting to the needs of the students.
- Students have been advised to stay at home and organize an efficient study pattern.
- They are required to have an active internet connection to avail regular updates from the faculty and get access to online lectures and educational videos uploaded for their convenience.
- As every method has its shortcomings, the biggest hurdle in the online mode has been the absence of fluent and efficient internet connection. Students are impacted due to irregular and flaky data services in their certain regions.
- However, in the wake of this issue, IITs in Kanpur, Bombay, and Guwahati sought feedback from its students and stated that approximately 15 percent of the students raised concern about insufficient data plans and feeble data connectivity services barred them from following the online lectures and educational content uploaded by the faculty.
- Thus many colleges like IIT Indore have started funding money in order to provide the infrastructure at home for e-learning.
How Were Examinations Being Conducted at IIT Indore Amid COVID-19?
Keeping in mind the risks of conducting examinations in the offline mode, IIT Indore directed students towards online-based examinations.
- The schedule of the examination was passed on to the students along with the guidelines to successfully attempt the examination.
- The question papers were passed on through WhatsApp/e-mail and students were given a time span of 24 hours to submit the answer sheet in a PDF format.
Why Opt For IIT Indore?
IIT Indore is envisioned with India’s pursuit to become a pioneer in architecting world-class students and delivering excelling developments in science and technology. Getting admission into an IIT is itself an achievement as well as a dream for aspirants across India. Aspects that induce IIT Indore as a lucrative choice for students are-
- Efficient UG and PG Curriculum:
- With the objective of establishing a balance between theoretical and practical knowledge, the institute sustains a knowledge-oriented curriculum advocated by an inter-disciplinary, humanistic and holistic approach.
- Coherent and Decorated Faculty:
- This is one of the most important aspects of any institute as to how knowledgeable the faculty is in states.
- IIT Indore sustains a homogenous structure of experienced as well as student-oriented faculty members that are committed to providing students with the best of their abilities and create an educative learning environment.
- Optimistic Learning Environment:
- The faculty team consists of professionals that have previously excelled in their particular field of interest and are now willing to impart their valuable prospects to their students.
- Along with this, the institute ensures a student-centric approach to ensure that the students never hesitate in bringing their doubts and short-comings to their faculty’s notice.
- Infusing Fascination:
- Keeping in mind the all-round development of their students, the faculty members challenge the thinking abilities of the students so they are more intrigued into the ‘how’ and ‘why’ aspect of the subjects taught to them.
- Bespoke Infrastructure:
- The institute has a campus expanding to 500 acres comprising various administrative buildings, facilitated hostels along with a cafeteria and various sports sections suited for the needs and leisure of the students.
Reservation Policy for Admissions Through JEE-Advanced
For upholding the motto of ‘Education for All’ and providing equal opportunities to everyone irrespective of their social and physical status, the government has projected a reservation policy in the institutes governed by them. The percentage of categorical reservations are presented below:
|Category||Reservation of Seats|
|Other Backward Classes (OBC-NCL)||27%|
|Scheduled Caste (SC)||15%|
|Scheduled Tribe (ST)||7.5%|
|General – Economically Weaker Section (GEN-EWS)||10%|
Note: Along with this, a 5% horizontal reservation is assigned for PwD candidates in each of the categories – OPEN, GEN-EWS, OBC-NCL, SC and ST category seats.
IIT Indore Cut Off 2020 for B.Tech Specializations
Given below is the cut off for Indian Institute of Technology Indore for various courses and categories.
- The cut off is taken from the Opening and Closing Ranks of Round 6 of JoSAA Counselling.
- Closing ranks resemble the rank on which the last seat of that particular course was allotted.
- The ranks are provided from individual rank lists of each category.
|Category||Opening Rank||Closing Rank|
Computer Science and Engineering
|Category||Opening Rank||Closing Rank|
|Category||Opening Rank||Closing Rank|
|Category||Opening Rank||Closing Rank|
Metallurgical Engineering and Materials Science
|Category||Opening Rank||Closing Rank|
Latest JEE Main News
- JoSAA Counselling 2021: Registrations Begin on 16 October 2021
- JEE Advanced 2021 Result Released: Read How to check, Rank List, Qualifying Marks
- WBJEE Counselling 2021: Registration Started on 28 September 2021
- JAC Delhi Counseling 2021 Registration Starts For B.Tech Program
- Predict College or Courses Using Your JEE Main Rank
Faculty at IIT Indore
The most valuable asset of any institute is its faculty as they are the ones responsible for shaping the future of its students as well as attracting new admissions for the college. Being an esteemed part of IITs, IIT Indore sports an efficient as well as experienced faculty.
- Each Faculty member at IIT Indore at least holds a doctorate degree in their respective disciplines which advocates their competency in administering the subject.
- Around 60-65 members of faculty at Indian Institute of Technology Indore have received one or the other national award towards their contribution in the field of education.
- Along with this, the faculty team is assisted with modern aids of technology that enables them to provide the students with interactive and hands-on sessions that enhance their professional skills.
- Every student at IIT Indore is assigned a Faculty Advisor who is responsible for resolving any difficulty that he/she might be facing.
- This student-oriented approach is the founding stone for an efficient student-teacher relation.
Facilities Offered at IIT Indore
IIT Indore houses a large number of facilities for the benefit of students, staff and faculty. Given below is a brief description of the top facilities provided at the campus of IIT Indore-
- Sophisticated Instrument Center (SIC):
- The SIC is equipped with state-of-the-art instrumentation and ancillary equipment.
- All the facilities are available for students to utilise and engage in practical data analysis for academic and industrial purposes.
- Facilities provided at SIC are –
- Nuclear Magnetic Resonance,
- Mass Spectroscopy,
- Atomic Force Microscopy and much more.
- The IIT Indore has a smartly designed campus with hostels located close to the academic buildings.
- This makes it easy for students to move around the campus.
- Separate hostels are built for girls.
- There is 24×7 security available at the hostels.
- Accommodation is available in single sharing rooms and double sharing rooms.
- The library of IIT Indore is pretty large. It consists of more than 35,000 books currently.
- It caters to all categories of students from doctorates to engineering.
- Virtual Classrooms:
- IIT Indore is connected to the pan-India network of virtual classrooms which connects all the top-tier universities.
- It engages students in learning and research in all fields through a common platform.
- The classes can be streamed live with other interactive facilities to connect during the lectures.
IIT Indore: Placement Report
IIT Indore has recently accomplished its placement drive for the 2020 session and it has been quite progressive and depictive of the calibre of the institute in generating efficient assets for world-class firms. Over 160 recruiters participated in the placement drive.
|Highest CTC Offered||INR 50 LPA|
|Average CTC Offered||INR 22.92 LPA|
|Median CTC||INR 22 LPA|
|No. of International Offers||2|
Top Recruiters at IIT Indore
IIT Indore Placement Drive saw some top tech companies recruiting students for executive-level roles at both domestic and international locations. Some of the top recruiters include Aditya Birla Group, Accenture, Amazon, Flipkart, GE, Axis Bank, Philips, Tech Mahindra etc.
Below listed are the IIT Indore Placements trends for the past five years:
|Academic Year||Candidates Placed|
Scholarships Offered at IIT Indore
To appreciate the academic excellence of students as well as assist economically & socially weaker sections of students, IIT Indore has instituted few scholarship programs.
- Merit cum Means Scholarship
- This scholarship is intended to assist economically weaker sections of society. Awarded to a total of 25% of the admitted students whose annual family income is less than 6 lacs.
- It relieves the students of their tuition fees for the complete duration of course along with a monthly allowance of INR 1000/- for the academic sessions.
- To avail these scholarships, the students must provide the authorities with all the necessary legal documents
- Central Sector Scholarship (for SC / ST students)
- This scholarship provides assistance to SC/ST students with an annual parental income of less than 6 LPA.
- Under this scholarship scheme, the SC/ST students are exempted from their tuition fees for the complete duration of the course along with a monthly allowance of INR 250/- per month.
- Foundation for Excellence (FFE) Scholarship
- This scholarship is intended to award exceptional performance in academics by students belonging to economically weaker sections irrespective of their caste.
- The eligibility for FFE Scholarship is given below-
- Annual parental income is less than INR 1.8 lacs.
- 70% or above in 10+2 boards
- JEE Advanced score of 152 or above.
- First-year students only
- Samsung Star Scholarship
- This scholarship is crafted for students who pursued an education in a Jawaharlal Navodaya Vidyalaya (JNVs) and are currently engaged in a B.Tech/B. Tech + M.Tech dual degree course in an Indian Institute of Technology (IITs) or a National Institute of Technology (NITs) in India.
Along with the above-mentioned IIT Indore scholarships, the institute also provides various other scholarship and fellowship programs like DAAD scholarship, Commonwealth scholarship, NHFDC scholarship, etc.
- IIT Hyderabad Fee Structure and Scholarships Offered
- What kind of scholarships are provided at IIT Kanpur?
IIT Indore Fee Structure for B.Tech Courses
The IIT Indore fees for B.Tech courses has been provided below-
|Tuition Fee||₹ 100,000|
|Registration fee per semester||₹ 6,300|
|One Time Admission Fee||₹ 8,100|
|Refundable Security Deposits||₹ 10,000|
|Accommodation and Other Facilities (per semester)||₹ 16,000|
In addition to providing world-class amenities and academic excellence to their students, IIT Indore also has various international collaborations and relations.
- They provide various perks like student exchange programs, research-related activities and joint degree programs for their students.
- The most renowned collaborations among them are the German Collaboration (TU9 Universities) and French Collaboration (French language programs).
- Other important collaborations are formulated with countries like the USA, Canada, UK, Russia, Japan, and Australia.
IIT Indore – Common FAQs
Ans. There are a total of 294 seats available in 5 B.Tech courses of IIT Indore. The batch size in each specialization is close to 70 to 80 students only.
Ans. No, the authorities were specific about not failing any student in this even semester as the evaluation of marks will also be based upon assignments submitted by the students and faculty has ensured that no student is barred from passing this semester of AY 2020-21.
Ans. IIT Indore is now in the top 10 IITs of India with its continuous improvement in education and research. IIT Gandhinagar on the other hand stands at 24th Rank as per NIRF. Both have a vast difference in terms of education standard. However, depending on your performance, IIT Gandhinagar might also give you the right opportunity towards your engineering career!
Ans. Yes, the institute houses 5 buses intended for its students and faculty members for inter campus as well as transportation outside the campus. Along with this, the campus also has 10 green vehicles with seating capacities of 4,6 and 14 for the convenience of students and staff inside the campus.
Ans. Candidates must secure at least 75% in 12th boards along with securing appropriate ranks in JEE-Advanced in order to be eligible for admission in IIT Indore.