Last updated on August 6th, 2020 at 05:43 pm
Indian Institute of Technology Dharwad is a prominent university established by the Ministry of Human Resource Development in 2016. The current campus (in WALMI) is interim until the actual campus gets built. IIT Dharwad is equipped with state of the art technology.
- The expected campus is spread across 470 acres near the Pune-Bengaluru National Highway (NH4).
- Its courses are well-known in three foremost branches, namely, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering and Mechanical Engineering.
- IIT Dharwad plans on generating highly capable students who are ready to fit in the world of work and research.
- Even though the university is comparatively newer to the other established colleges, it has managed to make a name for itself.
- The institute was ranked 31 for Engineering by JEE Cut off in 2019.
- Some of the professors of IIT Bombay teach in some classes which give immense exposure to the students.
IIT Dharwad Highlights
|Name of the institute:||Indian Institute Of Technology Dharwad|
|Address:||WALMI Campus, NH4, Next to Dharwad High Court, Dharwad 580011|
|Selection Criteria:||JEE Main, JEE Advanced, GATE|
|Phone Number:||91 836 2212 839|
IIT Dharwad: B.Tech Admissions Through JEE Advanced
NIT Dharwad offers several courses at the graduate, postgraduate and doctoral levels. The admission to the prestigious university is based on the rank of the student in the JEE Main examination. The admission process usually begins with the registration for JEE Main in December. Joint Seat Allocation Authority or JoSAA is given the responsibility to carry out seat allocation process to the IITs, NITs, and GFTIs of India. All the B.Tech specializations have 40 seats since 2016. The duration of the BTech course is four years.
Admission Process for IIT Dharwad
- Admission in IIT Dharwad is done on the basis of JEE Advanced results followed by JoSAA Counselling.
- For the admission process, the students will require the several documents such as- Print out of the final course allotment letter from JoSAA, Original admit card of JEE (Advanced), Class X (High School) board certificate/any other certificate as a proof of date of birth, Mark sheet and certificate of passing the qualifying examination, Copy of Category Certificate (OBC-NCL/SC/ST) and EWS certificate, if applicable, Copy of Person with Disabilities (PwD) Certificate, if applicable, Copy of Passport (for Foreign National) or OCI certificate or PIO cardholder, if applicable, Copy of DS Certificate, if applicable, Duly completed undertaking form.
Eligibility Criteria for IIT Dharwad
|B.Tech||Candidate Should have passed their 12th Board examination with at least 75% marks in 12th Standard or any other equivalent qualifying examination|
IIT Dharwad: B. Tech Specializations Offered
IIT Dharwad offers 3 specializations in B.Tech. The duration of these courses is 4 years. The following specializations are available in the institute.
- Computer Science and Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
JEE Main Cut Offs for Top Courses at IIT Dharwad
Compared to the previous cut off trends, IIT Dharwad is improving day by day. It is quite evident due to the improved closing ranks of the university. Let us see the opening and closing rank for the first round (2019) for the specialization.
|Courses||Opening Rank||Closing Rank|
|Computer Science and Engineering||2796||4222|
Study At IIT Dharwad During COVID-19
The present pandemic COVID-19 has drastically changed the educational sector, with classes being conducted online.
- Research members, along with volunteers, created 500 face shields for the medical staff at the KIMS Hospital, following the WHO guidelines.
- This equipment is a vital part of the PPE (Personal Protective Equipment), which the doctors have to wear to prevent being exposed to any sneezing and coughing of the patients. The shields were made using 3D printing technology.
- Keeping in mind the impact on society, the university has built a thorough plan on providing irrigation to the entire district of Dharwad. The project is to tap the available natural water sources.
- IIT Dharwad is celebrating the international yoga day on 20th June 2020. The event is organized by the Department of Physical Education of the Indian Institute of Technology 9Dharwad.
- It is scheduled to be online, wherein faculty members and students will participate.
Why Choose IIT Dharwad
Students are often skeptical to opt for IIT Dharwad due to the less amount of information regarding the batches. However, it is imperative to note that the faculty and infrastructure of the institute are extraordinary and will be constructive for the graduates. Some of the faculty members are retired professors of IIT Bombay. Thus, they have years of experience and skillful knowledge that is helpful to the students to become a part of the industry. Students from all over India enroll in the university, which helps students in tolerance and respect to other cultures.
AvadaCodavra is a platform given to the students of IIT Dharwad to become better problem solvers. Numerous sessions of interactive programming are conducted at a competitive level. It creates a coding culture on the campus for the students. The university follows a credit-based curriculum with a semester grade point average (SGPA) system and cumulative grade point average (CGPA). The university is also involved in various interdisciplinary research areas like cyber-physical systems, smart grids, and much more.
IIT Dharwad Cut off – Category-wise
IIT Dharwad’s improved ranks are quite evident if we compare the opening ranks of 2018 and 2019. This shows that the institute is making its way up in the league of the top engineering colleges in India.
IIT Dharwad Cut off – Computer Science and Engineering
|Category||Gender Neutral||Female only|
IIT Dharwad Cut off – Electrical Engineering
|Category||Gender Neutral||Female Only|
IIT Dharwad Cut Off – Mechanical Engineering
|Category||Gender Neutral||Female Only|
Latest News Updates
- JEE Main 2020 Admit Card Released on Jeemain.nic.in. Download Now
- JEE Main 2020 Day 1: Check Exam Updates and JEE Main Paper Analysis
- Registrations For JoSAA Counselling To Begin From 6th October
- Check JEE Main Participating Colleges
- JEE Advanced 2020: Revised Schedule Released, Registration Starts from 11 September
IIT Dharwad: Reservation Through JEE Advanced Counselling (JoSAA)
The admission takes place on the basis of the ranks of students in the JEE Main and JEE Advanced. In terms of seats, the reservation of the different categories of students for BTech course is listed below: (Gender Neutral)
|Computer Science and Engineering||19||6||3||10||38|
JEE Advanced Reservation Percentage
Faculty At IIT Dharwad
IIT Dharwad was recently established in 2016; thus, the professors are relatively new. However, the professors are well experienced and qualified.
- Some of the professors are a part of the faculty of IIT Bombay.
- Many of them are Ph.D. holders in their fields.
- The university also organizes special guest lectures from faculty of other IITs in India or prominent people of the industry to encourage the students. The classrooms have modern technology that will ensure a better understanding of concepts among children.
- The faculty strives to guide the students in further studies and placements.
- The course is regularly modified to incorporate the latest technological advances in the industry. The university has added courses such as artificial intelligence, deep learning, speech processing, and machine learning. These new topics will attract several companies during the placement drive.
- The professors of the university are encouraging and well-respected by the students. The curriculum is formulated in a manner that ensures intellectual growth among the students.
Various Facilities Provided at IIT Dharwad Campus
The esteemed university is a branch of IIT Bombay. Being a part of any IIT in India is often considered as a status symbol. The university offers numerous facilities to its students to ensure that they excel academically.
- Hostels: The hostel currently can accommodate around 150 students. The hostel is equipped with all modern amenities. There is also a mess facility and internet connectivity available for the students.
- Career Development Cell: A student-driven body is established at IIT Dharwad that is seeking to nurture the careers of all the students. The cell provides placements and internships in all fields, including the government and private sectors. They also mentor students pursuing higher education.
- Student Clubs: To motivate the students to interact and form long-lasting friendships, the institute has several clubs that students can be a part of. These clubs include Open Student Society, astronomy club, photography club, robotics club, and music club. The aim of all of these clubs is to grow together as a community. These clubs help students channelize their passion in music and other fields
Placement Report: IIT Dharwad
Being a new university, there is less information regarding the placement in IIT Dharwad. However, it is observed that several major companies come to the placement drives organized by the college. The opportunity for summer internships is given to the BTech students. Students are often encouraged to participate in internships revolving in academia as the institute is heavily associated with research work.
As the first batch of the college hasn’t graduated, the statistics of the placements aren’t available. Companies like Tata, Mahindra, Google Cloud, Microsoft, Adobe have offered summer internships to the students.
Scholarships Offered by IIT Dharwad
The various financial aids available for the students of IIT Dharwad are listed below:
- Central Sector Scholarship Scheme of Top Class Education for SC Students: Only students whose family income does not exceed Rs.4.5 Lakh PA are eligible for this scholarship
- Merit Cum Means Scholarship: For this scholarship, candidates from general, OBC(NC) categories are eligible. The income of their parents should not exceed Rs.4.5 Lakh PA to be eligible.
- Students also have access to interest-free loans under the Vidyalaxmi scheme for the total portion of the tuition fee payable to the institute.
- Students from the economically backward category receive either a full remission of the tuition fees or a 2/3 remission of the tuition fees.
Tuition Fees For Courses Offered at IIT Dharwad
The total fees for the full-time BTech course is ₹ 8.81 Lakh (four years)
The tuition fees for the first year of BTech course is mentioned below: (Sem 1 and Sem2)
|Categories||Amount (Per Sem)|
|Tuition fee||₹ 100,000|
|Admission fee (One Time)||₹ 1,400|
|Registration fee||₹ 1,500|
|Exam fee||₹ 2,500|
|Other fees||₹ 10,850|
|Total Year Wise||₹ 225,500|
The hostel fees charged to the students are listed below:
|Per Semester Fee:|
|Hostel Seat Rent-||Rs. 500|
|Hostel Establishment Charges-||Rs. 2000|
|Contribution to Hostel Subsidy-||Rs. 6000|
|One Time Fee:|
|Mess Security Deposit||Rs. 1000|
Apart from the above expenses, all students have to pay per Semester Mess advance of Rs. 20000.00 (every semester) and Refundable Mess Advance of Rs. 1000.
- Students who belong to the SC/ST/PwD category are expected to pay the tuition fees.
- students whose family income is below Rs. 1 Lakh PA will get a full remission of the tuition fees (Most Economically Backward)
- Students whose family income is between Rs.1 to Rs.5 Lakh PA will get a 2/3 remission of the tuition fees (Other Economically backward)
IIT Dharwad FAQs
Ans. The interim campus began its functioning in 2016; the new campus is said to be built in a couple of years. No specific date has been released as of yet.
Ans. The interim campus is located in Karnataka, about 17 kilometers from the Dharwad city. The campus is accessible to the Dharwad railway station (12 kilometers). The campus is located near the NH04 highway.
Ans. Students of IIT Dharwad were given the opportunity to intern in top companies like Google, Microsoft, Amazon, Arista, Adobe and FourKites, BARC, and many PSUs. Some also did their internships for IIT Delhi, IIT Kanpur, etc.