Last updated on August 20th, 2021 by user
IIT Dharwad is a prominent university established by the MHRD in 2016. The current campus is interim until the actual campus gets built. IIT Dharwad is equipped with state of the art technology.
- The permanent IIT Dharwad campus is expected to be spread across 470 acres near the Pune-Bengaluru National Highway (NH4).
- Its courses are well-known in three foremost branches, namely, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering and Mechanical Engineering.
- IIT Dharwad plans on generating highly capable students who are ready to fit in the world of work and research.
- Even though the university is comparatively newer to the other established colleges, it has managed to make a name for itself.
- Some of the professors of IIT Bombay teach in some classes which give immense exposure to the students.
IIT Dharwad Highlights
|Name of the institute:||Indian Institute Of Technology Dharwad|
|Address:||WALMI Campus, NH4, Next to Dharwad High Court, Dharwad 580011|
|Selection Criteria:||JEE Main, JEE Advanced, GATE|
|Phone Number:||91 836 2212 839|
You Might Like
IIT Dharwad: B.Tech Admissions via JEE Advanced
IIT Dharwad offers several courses at the graduate, postgraduate and doctoral levels. The admission to the prestigious university is based on the rank of the student in the JEE Advanced exam. Joint Seat Allocation Authority or JoSAA is given the responsibility to carry out seat allocation process to the IITs, NITs, and GFTIs of India. All the B.Tech specializations have 40 seats since 2016.
IIT Dharwad: B. Tech Specializations Offered
IIT Dharwad offers 3 specializations in B.Tech. The duration of these courses is 4 years. The following specializations are available in the institute.
Eligibility Criteria for IIT Dharwad
|B.Tech||Candidate should have passed their 12th Board examination with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics as compulsory subjects in 12th Standard or any other equivalent qualifying examination|
- Why Should One Opt BIT Mesra to Pursue B. Tech Specialization
- IIIT Delhi: Eligibility Criteria, Cut Off and More
IIT Dharwad Cut Off for Top Courses
Compared to the previous cut off trends, IIT Dharwad is improving day by day. This shows that the institute is making its way up in the league of the top engineering colleges in India. Let us see the opening and closing rank for the 6th round (2020) for the specialization.
|Courses||Opening Rank||Closing Rank|
|Computer Science and Engineering||2512||5157|
Study At IIT Dharwad During COVID-19
The present pandemic COVID-19 has drastically changed the educational sector, with classes being conducted online.
- Research members, along with volunteers, created 500 face shields for the medical staff at the KIMS Hospital, following the WHO guidelines.
- This equipment is a vital part of the PPE (Personal Protective Equipment), which the doctors have to wear to prevent being exposed to any sneezing and coughing of the patients. The shields were made using 3D printing technology.
- Keeping in mind the impact on society, the university has built a thorough plan on providing irrigation to the entire district of Dharwad. The project is to tap the available natural water sources.
- IIT Dharwad celebrated the international yoga day on 20th June 2020. The event is organized by the Department of Physical Education of the Indian Institute of Technology Dharwad.
- It was conducted online, wherein faculty members and students participated.
Why Choose IIT Dharwad?
Students are often sceptical to opt for Indian Institute of Technology Dharwad due to the less amount of information regarding the batches. However, it is imperative to note that the faculty and infrastructure of the institute are extraordinary and will be constructive for the graduates.
- Some of the faculty members are retired professors of IIT Bombay. Thus, they have years of experience and skilful knowledge that is helpful to the students to become a part of the industry.
- Students from all over India enrol in the university, which helps students in tolerance and respect to other cultures.
- AvadaCodavra is a platform given to the students of IIT Dharwad to become better problem solvers.
- Numerous sessions of interactive programming are conducted at a competitive level. It creates a coding culture on the campus for the students.
- The university follows a credit-based curriculum with a semester grade point average (SGPA) system and cumulative grade point average (CGPA).
- IIT Dharwad is also involved in various interdisciplinary research areas like cyber-physical systems, smart grids, and much more.
IIT Dharwad Cut off for B.Tech Specializations
IIT Dharwad cut off 2020 (Round 6) for all B.Tech specializations are given below:
Computer Science and Engineering
|Category||Gender Neutral||Female only|
|Category||Gender Neutral||Female only|
|Category||Gender Neutral||Female only|
IIT Dharwad: Reservation via JoSAA
In terms of seats, the reservation of the different categories of students for BTech course is listed below: (Gender Neutral)
|Computer Science and Engineering||19||6||3||10||38|
JEE Advanced Reservation Percentage
You Might like
Faculty At IIT Dharwad
Indian Institute of Technology Dharwad was recently established; thus, the professors are relatively new. However, the professors are well experienced and qualified.
- Many of the professors are PhD holders in their fields.
- The university also organizes special guest lectures from faculty of other IITs in India or prominent people of the industry to encourage the students.
- Moreover, the faculty strives to guide the students in further studies and placements.
- The course is regularly modified to incorporate the latest technological advances in the industry. Also, the university has added courses such as artificial intelligence, deep learning, speech processing, and machine learning. These new topics will attract several companies during the placement drive.
- The professors of the university are encouraging and well-respected by the students. Also, the curriculum is formulated in a manner that ensures intellectual growth among the students.
- Why Should You Choose NIT Surathkal Over Other NITs?
- IIT Kharagpur: B. Tech Courses, Placement Records and Scholarship Offered
Latest JEE Main News
- JoSAA Counselling 2021: Registrations Begin on 16 October 2021
- JEE Advanced 2021 Result Released: Read How to check, Rank List, Qualifying Marks
- WBJEE Counselling 2021: Registration Started on 28 September 2021
- JAC Delhi Counseling 2021 Registration Starts For B.Tech Program
- Predict College or Courses Using Your JEE Main Rank
Various Facilities Provided at IIT Dharwad Campus
The university offers numerous facilities to its students to ensure that they excel academically.
- IIT Dharwad hostel currently can accommodate around 150 students.
- Also, the hostel is equipped with all modern amenities.
- There is also a mess facility and internet connectivity available for the students.
- Career Development Cell:
- Career development Cell is a student-driven body, established at IIT Dharwad that is seeking to nurture the careers of all the students.
- The cell provides placements and internships in all fields, including the government and private sectors.
- They also mentor students pursuing higher education.
- Student Clubs:
- To motivate the students to interact and form long-lasting friendships, the institute has several clubs that students can be a part of.
- These clubs include Open Student Society, astronomy club, photography club, robotics club, and music club.
- The aim of all of these clubs is to grow together as a community.
- These clubs help students channelize their passion in music and other fields
IIT Dharwad Placements
Being a new university, there is less information regarding the placement in IIT Dharwad. The first batch passed out in 2020. The IIT Dharwad placement statistics from Summer placements 2020 are tabulated below:
|Highest Stipend||INR 80,000 per month|
|Average Stipend||INR 45,000 per month|
|Percentage of Students Provided Internships||80%|
|Highest recruitment sector||Engineering and Technology|
- The opportunity for summer internships is given to the BTech students.
- Students are often encouraged to participate in internships revolving in academia as the institute is heavily associated with research work.
Google, Microsoft, DRDO, and McAfee are some of the top recruiters.
Scholarships Offered by IIT Dharwad
The various IIT Dharwad scholarships or other options of financial aid available for the students are listed below:
- Central Sector Scholarship Scheme of Top Class Education for SC Students: Only students whose family income does not exceed Rs.4.5 Lakh PA are eligible for this scholarship
- Merit Cum Means Scholarship: For this scholarship, candidates from general, OBC(NC) categories are eligible. The income of their parents should not exceed Rs.4.5 Lakh PA to be eligible.
- Students also have access to interest-free loans under the Vidyalaxmi scheme for the total portion of the tuition fee payable to the institute.
- Also, students from the economically backward category receive either a full remission of the tuition fees or a 2/3 remission of the tuition fees.
IIT Dharwad Fee Structure for B.tech Courses Offered
The total fees for the full-time BTech course is ₹ 8.81 Lakh (four years)
The IIT Dharwad fees for the first year of BTech course is mentioned below: (Sem 1 and Sem2)
|Categories||Amount (Per Sem)|
|Tuition fee||₹ 100,000|
|Admission fee (One Time)||₹ 1,400|
|Mess Security Deposit (One Time)||Rs. 1000|
|Registration fee||₹ 1,500|
|Exam fee||₹ 2,500|
|Other fees||₹ 10,850|
|Total Year Wise||₹ 225,500|
|Hostel Seat Rent-||Rs. 500|
|Hostel Establishment Charges-||Rs. 2000|
|Contribution to Hostel Subsidy-||Rs. 6000|
Note: Apart from the above expenses, all students have to pay per Semester Mess advance of Rs. 20000.00 (every semester) and Refundable Mess Advance of Rs. 1000.
- Students who belong to the SC/ST/PwD category are expected to pay the tuition fees.
- students whose family income is below Rs. 1 Lakh PA will get full remission of the tuition fees (Most Economically Backward)
- Students whose family income is between Rs.1 to Rs.5 Lakh PA will get a 2/3 remission of the tuition fees (Other Economically backward)
IIT Dharwad FAQs
Answer: there is only 1 IIT in Karnataka, which is IIT Dharwad.
Ans. The interim campus began its functioning in 2016; the new campus is said to be built in a couple of years. No specific date has been released as of yet.
Ans. The interim campus is located in Karnataka, about 17 kilometers from the Dharwad city. The campus is accessible to the Dharwad railway station (12 kilometers). The campus is located near the NH04 highway.
Last updated on February 20th, 2021 by user
Ans. Students of IIT Dharwad were given the opportunity to intern in top companies like Google, Microsoft, McAfee, ARAI, Amazon, Arista, Adobe and FourKites, BARC, and many PSUs. Some also did their internships for IIT Delhi, IIT Kanpur, etc.