Last updated on April 15th, 2021
The Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi is a public university situated in Delhi. According to the NIRF Rankings 2020, IIT Delhi is ranked 4th in the category of the top engineering colleges in India. The university has entered into numerous collaborations with different institutions all over the world for multiple projects and student exchange programs.
- Presently, more than 70 courses at different UG, PG, and PhD levels with technology being the major stream are offered at the time of IIT Delhi admissions.
- Staying at par with all the IITs in India, the campus of IIT Delhi campus includes all the basic amenities such as hospital, telecom center, shopping center, banks, post office, stadium, etc.
- Internationally, an exchange program is established with leading institutions such as INSA Lyon France, IMT France, Toulouse France, KTH Sweden, City University Hong Kong.
- IIT Delhi placements in 2020 surpassed all the previous years’ records with more than 1100 job offers.
IIT Delhi – Highlights
|Placement rate: 2019-20||85.60%|
|Type of Programs||B.E. / B.Tech , M.E./M.Tech|
|Admission Criteria||JEE Main, JEE Advanced|
|Application Mode||Online, Offline|
|Mode of education||Regular, part-time|
|Number of courses offered||More than 100|
IIT Delhi Admission via JEE Advanced
The selection of candidates for B. Tech courses at IIT Delhi are granted on the basis of the marks obtained in JEE Advanced. After that, the counseling process starts, which is managed and regulated by the Joint Seat Allocation Authority (JoSAA).
- Admission at IIT Delhi is a two-step process; first the students need to qualify the JEE Main exam and then take the JEE Advanced exam.
- Final selection will be based on JEE Advanced rank and through JoSAA Counselling.
- The seat allotment will be done based on the IIT Delhi Cut off and individual’s preference of courses and colleges.
- The registration and choice filling of JoSAA 2021 mostly starts online in the third week of June.
B.Tech Courses offered in IIT Delhi
IIT Delhi offers a lot of undergraduate and postgraduate programs to its students, out of which B.Tech is the most opted course in the institute. IIT Delhi offers a 4-years B.Tech program in the following disciplines to the students:
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Science & Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Electrical Engineering (Power)
- Engineering Physics
- Mechanical Engineering
- Production and Industrial Engineering
- Textile Technology
Computer and Electrical Engineering are two most opted courses here. Furthermore, Mathematics & Computing are also gaining popularity day by day.
IIT Delhi Eligibility Criteria
- The candidate needs to obtain a minimum 75 percent aggregate (SC/ST category can apply with 65% marks) in Class 12 from a recognised board of education.
- Candidates who are among the top 20 percentile in Class 12 are eligible to apply.
- Candidates’ performance in JEE Main 2021 will be considered to be eligible for JEE Advanced where they need to be among the top 2,50,000 in JEE Main 2021 Paper 1
Study at IIT Delhi During COVID-19
The Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi (IIT-D) announced to conduct all of the upcoming semester’s classes online amidst the Covid-19 pandemic. According to IIT-D director, V Ramgopal Rao, they will adhere to the recommendations made by a sub-committee on the minimum common strategy to be followed by all IITs. The university will use online mode to take classes for the upcoming semester.
- IIT Delhi will not increase any fees for students for the academic year 2020-21 in view of COVID -19 outbreak.
- Also, semester 1 (2020-21) classes for all UG and PG programs that will be conducted online, will have short term and smaller weightage evaluations.
- The evaluations will be done through viva, online quizzes, take-home exams, online exams, etc.
- Despite the COVID-19 outbreak, IIT Delhi breaks all the past records in terms of campus placements.
- According to the reports, more than 1,100 offers, including multiple pre-placement ones, were made to the institute’s graduating students.
- Numerous national and international organizations take part in the placement drive to recruit outstanding students for various roles.
Why Choose IIT Delhi?
Indian Institute of Technology Delhi which is referred to as IIT-D came into existence in 1961. IIT-D has received accreditation from All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE) for offering Science and Engineering programs at all levels, including UG, PG and PhD level. IIT Delhi rankings are tabulated below:
|QS India University Rankings (2019)||04|
|International Students (as of 2018)||200+|
|Citations per Paper||47th Rank|
|Employer Reputation||10th Rank|
|Academic Reputation||14th Rank|
|QS Asia University Rankings||41|
- The university, which is built on a 325-acre campus comprises more than 40 classrooms, 4 sports grounds, one fully functional canteen, various labs, boys and girls hostel, etc. among several other facilities.
- The placement rate for the year 2019-20 was 85.60%. Some of the leading recruiters that take part in the placement drive at IIT Delhi include Microsoft, Intel, UBER, Standard Chartered, Goldman Sachs, Societe Generale, etc.
- IIT Delhi has entered into national collaborations with more than 40 organizations.
- International MoUs are more than 115.
- Numerous scholarships are offered to UG, PG and PhD students. Some of the popular include Scholarship provision for SC/ST/PD students, Institute Merit-cum-Means (MCM) Scholarship, Institute Merit Prizes and Certificates, etc.
IIT Delhi Cut Off 2020 for B.Tech Specializations
IIT Delhi cut off & merit list are disclosed for different courses to get admission in UG & PG programs each year. We offer the authentic and detailed round wise cut off data based on various sources. IIT Delhi Cut Off 2020 for various specialization in B.tech courses are as follows:
Biotechnology and Biochemical Engineering
Computer Science and Engineering
Electrical Engineering (Power and Automation)
Mathematics and Computing
Latest JEE Main News
- JEE Advanced 2021: New Guidelines Released, Qualified Candidates Of Last Year Can Appear Without JEE Main 2021
- Integrated B.Tech Course - What is it and Where To Pursue it?
- AICTE Says PCM Not Mandatory For Engineering: Boon or Bane?
- Dr Ramesh Pokhriyal Announces JEE Advanced 2021 For 3rd July, 75% Criteria Removed
Production and Industrial Engineering
IIT Delhi: Reservation Through JEE Advanced Counselling (JoSAA)
Students qualifying both, JEE Main and JEE Advanced will be eligible to take part in JoSAA Counselling.
|Category||Reservation Of Seats (In Percentage)|
|OBC candidates (non-creamy layer)||27%|
|PwD (40% or more disability)||5%|
|General Economically Weaker Section (General- EWS)||10%|
Candidates who have cleared both, JEE Main 2021 and JEE Advanced will be eligible for seat allocation in IITs and all other participating institutes.
How to claim Reservation for JEE Advanced 2021?
- Students need to mention the category and its details while filling the JEE Main 2021 Application Form.
- They also need to present the relevant and valid certificates that can be verified at the time of JEE Main Counselling.
- In case a candidate is not able to produce the needed documents, he/she will be considered under unreserved category.
For more info, check : JEE Advanced Reservation Criteria
Faculty at IIT Delhi
IIT Delhi appoints highly experienced and educated faculty to offer quality education to the students.
- Teachers ranging between the age of 30-50 are mostly Ph.D holders.
- IIT Delhi faculty is approachable and tries to get into the depth of each and every topic.
- Students have the privilege of meeting the faculty in their respective rooms or mail them if they have any doubts.
- Assignments assigned by teachers are very relevant to the topics which makes the entire understanding of the topic much better.
- Teachers try to merge classroom learning and industry learning together.
- Faculty write research papers and publish them in class journals.
Various Facilities Provided at IIT Delhi
IIT Delhi offers world-class infrastructure and facilities to the students. The technologically advanced IIT Delhi sets an example for many higher learning institutes in India and internationally as well. IIT Delhi campus creates a pollution-free environment that promotes effective teaching and learning.
- The classrooms of IIT Delhi play a vital role in empowering innovative and interactive teaching and learning environments.
- All the classrooms at IIT Delhi are well-equipped with the latest and modern facilities.
- The Central Library of IIT Delhi is the center of attraction at the campus.
- Also, the digitally advanced library of IIT Delhi has several facilities and learning resources that are made available to the students throughout their studies.
- IIT Delhi has a separate hostel facility for boys and girls; also it is constructing a separate hostel for the international students.
- The university aims to increase the yearly intake of international students, and in line with it will add more international facilities on the campus.
- Also, the hostels at IIT Delhi are well equipped with modern facilities and amenities that helps make staying comfortable.
IIT Delhi: Placement Report
Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Delhi has concluded the final placement season for various courses and domains in 2020. The university witnessed 782 job offers with 767 of them being Domestic and 15 of them being International.
- Some of the best performing sectors were IT, analytics, core, and management among others that witnessed maximum offers.
- Some of the leading recruiters of the season at IIT Delhi include Microsoft that made 30 offers including 2 international offers
- Mastercard made 11 offers and Societe Generale made 13 offers.
- Some other companies like Uber and Denso Japan were also active participants in the recruitment process.
- Within 5 days of the placement season, the university witnessed a giant increase in the overall offers.
- IT was the best performer in the placement season with 26% of the offers being made in the sector with positive participation of students.
- Core companies also take part with their full potential with 28% of the offers coming from the sector.
- The Analytics and Consulting sector also performed amazing as compared to last year with 14% and 8% job offerings.
- Microsoft was one of the major recruiters that took part in the placement drive at IIT Delhi.
Some other national and international companies that were a part of placement drive at the campus of IIT Delhi include Amazon, Microsoft, Google, Infosys, etc. The highest package offered to students at IIT Delhi placements is INR 1 crore per annum and it is well-known for offering 100% placements.
Scholarships Offered by IIT Delhi
Various scholarships offered to B. Tech students are listed below:
- Institute Merit-cum-Means (MCM) Scholarships-
- 25 percent of undergraduate students get this scholarship.
- The estimated worth of this Merit-cum-Means scholarship is INR 300 per month for general students.
- Institute Merit Prizes and Certificates-
- The Institute grants several merit prizes and certificates to the top seven percent of the students each year.
- Also, the value of this merit prize and certificate is INR 2500.
- Institute Free Studentship–
- The Institute offers free studentship to 10 percent of the students based on the means alone.
- Research Assistant-ship-
- Students will be granted an enhanced fellowship worth INR 15,000 each month.
- They to spend at least 20 hours of work per week, as opposed to the 8 hours per week to be considered for these fellowships that are worth INR 8,000 each month.
- Teaching/Research Assistantship-
- The non-sponsored students who opted for full-time M.S. (Research) programs will be considered for the award.
- Under Teaching/Research Assistantship, the selected candidates will be paid INR 12,400 each month.
IIT Delhi Fee Structure for B.Tech Courses Offered
IIT Delhi fees (per semester) for Admissions is mentioned below:
|Particulars||Fees in INR|
|Mess (Security Deposit)||15,000|
IIT Delhi FAQs
Last updated on July 18th, 2020
Ans. No, the university grants other courses like BDes, MBA, MSc, PGD and PhD programs as well.
Last updated on July 18th, 2020
Ans. IIT Delhi accepts admissions based on JEE Advanced cut-offs announced by JoSAA.
Last updated on July 18th, 2020
Ans. The candidates securing more than 75 per cent marks in Class 12 are allowed to apply for JEE Main exam. To become IIT Delhi, a candidate needs to clear JEE Advanced and qualify the JoSAA cut off as well.
Last updated on July 18th, 2020
Ans. B. Tech in CSE is considered the most by the students, followed by Electrical Engineering and Mathematics & Computing.