Last updated on November 3rd, 2020 at 04:29 pm
Indian Institute of Technology Bhilai (IIT Bhilai) was established in 2016 by the MHRD. It is the youngest IIT among the 23 IITs of India. Also, the institute is functioning with its transit campus of Government Engineering College, Raipur (GEC). Several courses are provided under different departments including, Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, Mechanical Engineering, Chemistry, Mathematics, Physics, and Liberal Arts.
- The permanent campus is proposed to be constructed on 432 acres of land in Bhilai City of Durg, Chhattisgarh. It will be established adjacent to India’s largest steel plant – Bhilai Steel Plant of SAIL. Along with this, IIT Bhilai will also have an extension center in Naya Raipur.
- The institute appoints well-qualified faculty members and professors who have years of teaching experience.
- IT Bhilai established several infrastructural facilities so that a holistic education approach can be built among the students.
IIT Bhilai: Highlights
|Type of Programs||UG, PG, PhD|
|Accepted Entrance Exams||JEE Advanced, IIT JAM|
|Mode of education||Regular, Part-time (only PhD)|
|Campus Size||432 acres (under development)|
- Why Choose IIT Gandhinagar for UG Courses?
- NIT Delhi: Eligibility Criteria, Admission Process and More
IIT Bhilai: B.Tech Admissions via JEE Advanced
Admissions across all the IITs, including IIT Bhilai, is given based on the performance and score in JEE Advanced. The Indian Institute of Technology Bhilai adopts a two-round admission and counselling process coordinated by the Joint Admission Board (JAB). The aspiring students need to get good scores in JEE Main and JEE Advanced exam before applying for JoSAA counselling. The final selection decision will be made based on the All India Rank in JEE Advanced and through JoSAA Counselling.
B.Tech Courses Offered
Three Specializations offered in IIT Bhilai B.Tech program are mentioned below:
- Computer Science and Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
Eligibility Criteria for B.Tech
Given below is the eligibility criteria for IIT Bhilai B.Tech Program-
- The candidate with at least 75% aggregate in class 12th with PCM (65% for SC/ST) from a recognized board of education OR Aspiring candidates must be among the top 20 percentile students in their Class 12th Results. (Note: This rule has been scrapped by JAB. Read More)
- Candidates first have to clear JEE Main, before giving JEE Advanced. JEE Advanced Score Card is mandatory for participation in JoSAA Counselling for IITs.
IIT Bhilai Cut Off for Top B.Tech Courses
The JEE Advanced cut off ranks for the Indian Institute of Technology represent the closing ranks for each branch for B.Tech. IIT Bhilai Cut Off 2019 (general category, gender-neutral) for all B.Tech courses are mentioned below:
|Course||2019 Cut Off (OR-CR)|
|Computer Science and Engineering||4016-5146|
IIT Bhilai & Academics During COVID-19
The Indian Institute of Technology Bhilai, like many other colleges and educational institutions, have initiated taking online classes to maintain social distancing. The institute arranged a webinar on “Challenges in Online Teaching and Possible Way-outs” amongst senior and young teachers.
- IIT Bhilai conducted an orientation on Cisco Webex for its M.Tech and PhD students who have been recently admitted in 2020 amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Recently, IIT Bhilai conducted an online workshop on “Standards-driven Research and Innovation in India”.
- The workshop aimed on creating awareness among students and faculty members about the standardization activities in the telecom sector in the country.
Why Should You Choose IIT Bhilai?
The Indian Institute of Technology Bhilai has some really good advantages.
- More than 150 students of IIT Bhilai got selected during summer internship drives at several leading companies.
- Leading internship recruiters include Robert Bosch, CDAC, VMWare, GSoC, Carrier Midea, Think Future Technologies, among others.
- Several merit-based scholarships and scholarships for SC/ST students are offered by the institute. Tuition fee is waived off for various categories and for students from economically weaker backgrounds.
- The academic programs offered at IIT Bhilai are inspired by fractal academics. Academic programs aimed at promoting modern interdisciplinary education and offers a wider choice of electives to the students.
- The primary aim is to offer a detailed and flexible learning environment with importance on project-based training.
IIT Bhilai Cut Off 2019 For B.Tech Specializations
Given below are the IIT Bhilai Cut Off 2019 for all the categories and all the B.Tech specializations. These cutoffs are sourced from Round 7 of JoSAA Counselling 2019. Computer Science and Engineering
Latest News Updates
- JEE Main 2021: Mr Ramesh Pokhriyal Directs NTA to Draft a Fresh Syllabus
- JEE Main 2021 Delayed Till February, JEE Advanced 2021 Syllabus Being Reviewed
- JAC Delhi 2020 Counselling: Seat Allotment Result For Round 3 Declared
- IIT Kharagpur Will Conduct JEE Advanced 2021
- CSAB 2020 Special Rounds Counselling Schedule Released
IIT Bhilai: Reservation as per JoSAA Rules
The reservation criteria for the seats at IIT Bhilai is similar to all the other IITs. Moreover, the rules for reservation are followed as per Supreme Court Judgements and JoSAA Rules. The percentage of reservation in various categories is presented below-
- PwD Reservation of 5% is followed in all categories.
- There is no home state quota in IITs.
- Seats are reserved for Female candidates. Currently, out of 143 seats, 26 seats are reserved under the female category.
- There are a total of 143 seats available in 3 academic programmes of IIT Bhilai. 55 open category seats are available here.
Faculty at IIT Bhilai
IIT Bhilai has a team of well-educated and highly qualified teachers and professors from across the country. Almost all of the faculty members hold PhD degrees in their respective field. The Fractal Academic System is also followed by faculty at the institute to provide traditional courses.
- Currently, IIT Bhilai has more than 40 faculty members. These faculty members are continuously working on research projects in engineering, mathematics and sciences.
- The number of undergraduate students at IIT Bhilai is close to 550 which shows that the faculty to student ratio is around 1:13. This can be interpreted as 1 faculty member is present for 13 students at a time, which is helpful for students.
Various Facilities Provided at IIT Bhilai Campus
IIT Bhilai aims to make education more accessible and stress-free for the students. The institute encourages students to take part in several sports competitions and events that are arranged throughout the year.
- The classrooms of IIT Bhilai have equipment for virtual teaching that helps understanding new concepts easily.
- The institute has several hostels for boys and girls. All the hostel rooms are equipped with extracurricular activities, TV room, sports, recreation rooms, washing areas, dining, etc.
- Also, students get Wi-Fi access inside their hostel. The academic and hostels remain under security round the clock.
- Other facilities include various research equipment and labs such as Chemistry Lab, Computer Lab, Electrical Lab, Physics Lab, Digital fabrication lab, Networking Lab, Workshop, etc.
IIT Bhilai Placement Report
Under the guidance of Dr Rajat Moona, Director of IIT Bhilai, the college was able to conduct its placement drive 2019-2020 with a great overall performance. Many students also got selected for international contests like the Google Summer of Code (GSOC). Some of the major highlights of IIT Bhilai Recruitments 2020 are given below-
|Average CTC||INR 11 LPA|
|Highest Package Offered||INR 20 LPA|
|Total Pre- Placement Offers||11|
|Number of Recruiters||60+|
|Total Number of Offers||75+|
Scholarships Offered by IIT Bhilai
IIT Bhilai offers many scholarships in different categories to its UG and PG students. In fact, the institute encourages students to apply for scholarships so that they can get additional funds to support their education. Some other IIT Bhilai scholarships include:
- Merit-cum-Means (MCM) Scholarship:
- The students whose parental income is less than INR 5 lakh (UR Students) and INR 6 lakh (for OBC Students) are eligible to apply.
- Students belonging to other economically weak sections can get 2/3rd remission of the tuition fee and pocket money of INR 1,000 each month.
- SC/ST Scholarship:
- Students belonging to SC/ST categories can avail this scholarship.
- The eligible students will get a free messing facility, boarding and pocket money worth INR 250 per month.
- Free Studentship Scholarship:
- Ten percent of the total students studying in UG courses can get free studentship.
- To get this scholarship, the students need to maintain a CGPA of 6.0 and the parental income must not be more than INR 5 lakh.
IIT Bhilai Fee Structure For B.Tech Course
The fee structure for B.Tech at IIT Bhilai is mentioned below:
|One time fees (during admission)||7,000|
|Security Deposit (Refundable)||7,000|
|Hostel & Mess Expenses*||31,000|
- SC/ST/PwD students shall get the complete waiver in Tuition Fee.
- Students whose annual family income is less than 1 lakh can also avail complete waiver in Tuition Fee.
- Hostel and Mess Expenses also include dining charges of INR 20,500
IIT Bhilai FAQs
Answer: IIT Bhilai offers 20 courses at Undergraduate, Postgraduate and PhD level.
Answer: IIT Bhilai was established in 2016.
Ans. IIT Bhilai currently operates from the transit campus in Raipur i.e. Government Engineering College (GEC), Raipur. The permanent campus is under development 54 km away from transit campus, in Durg District of Chhattisgarh.
Ans. The cutoffs for IIT Bhilai means the minimum rank needed to get admission into the respective engineering course in IIT Bhilai. Based on the ranks of previous year, current year expected cut offs are assumed.
Ans. Students planning to do B.Tech courses can opt from any of the three specializations including Computer Science and Engineering, Electrical Engineering and Mechanical Engineering.
Ans. Many scholarships are announced on the official website and on the notice board as well. The students planning who want to get selected for the scholarship can fill the forms and submit the required details in the academic block to avail the scholarship. The Central Government portal can also be used to apply for scholarships.
Ans. Yes, international students can apply for a course at IIT Bhilai. The institute offers admission to foreign nationals in several courses like B.Tech, M.Tech and PhD programmes. Students can do B.Tech and M.Tech in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science and Engineering, and Mechanical Engineering.