Last updated on October 5th, 2020 at 03:13 pm
Indian Institute of Space Science and Technology, Trivandrum is popularly known as IIST Trivandrum is an Institution of National Importance established in 2007 as GFTI- Government Funded Technical Institute in India.
- IIST Trivandrum is an autonomous University that works under the Department of Space, Government of India.
- The institute offers undergraduate, graduate, doctoral and post-doctoral levels on areas with special focus on Space Sciences, Space Technology and Space Applications
- IIST is considered as one of the top engineering colleges in India, with a NIRF Rank of 33.
- Admissions in all of the B.Tech Specializations are based on the seat allocation made via their own counselling.
- This Counselling is held for the candidates who have cleared the JEE Advanced exam with appropriate cut-off.
The institute offers excellent placement to the students and has a central placement cell that offers excellent internship opportunities to the students. Evidently, the students are hired directly to the Department of Space, GoI or Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO).
IIST Trivandrum Highlights
|Established | Type||2007 | Deemed to be University|
|Approved by||AICTE/ UGC|
|Type of Courses||UG, PG and PhD|
|Popular Course||B.Tech, M.Tech, PhD|
|Admission Criteria||National Entrance Exams like GATE/ JEE Advanced / JEST/ UGC NET/ CSIR NET|
|Top Recruiters||Adobe Systems, Asia Technologies, Astra Microwave, Collins Aerospace, Delta Electronics, Gauge Data Solutions, GES Infotek, Infosys|
IIST Trivandrum: B.Tech Admissions Through JEE Advanced
B.Tech Course admissions at IIST Trivandrum is made on the basis of the ranks obtained in JEE Advanced Result. B.Tech is offered under three different specializations, i.e., Aerospace Engineering, Electronics & Communication Engineering and Dual Degree course in Engineering Physics.
B.Tech Courses Offered
IIST Trivandrum offers B.Tech courses in 3 different specializations. The specializations include:
- Aerospace Engineering (4-years) – 60 seats
- Electronics and Communication Engineering with specialisation in Avionics (4-years) – 60 seats
- Engineering Physics (5-years Dual Degree) – 20 seats
Admission to these 3 above-mentioned specializations had taken place adhering to the seat allocation done under the official counselling by IIST through their own portal.
Eligibility for B.Tech
- Candidates must have completed senior secondary school with an average minimum of 75% marks (65% marks for SC/ST/PD candidates) from a recognized board or passed an examination holding equivalent value. (This criterion has been relaxed amid the COVID-19 pandemic)
- He/she must have studied Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, a language and a fifth subject, different from the above listed four subjects.
- Candidates must have qualified JEE Main to appear for JEE Advanced. The minimum marks required in JEE Advanced for IIST are given below-
|General / Open||20% – aggregate
5% each in PCM
|EWS / OBC-NCL||18% – aggregate
4.5% each in PCM
|SC / ST / PwD||10% – aggregate
2.5% each in PCM
Also Check JEE Main Counselling
Admission Process for B.Tech
The application process for getting admitted into the B.Tech course offered by IIST Trivandrum is to register for IIST Counselling after qualifying the JEE Advanced exam via directly applying at IIST Portal. Below are given the detailed steps to get admission in B.Tech at IIST Trivandrum.
- The admission to undergraduate courses is done through institute counselling based upon merit which is strictly governed by the reservation policy laid down by the Government.
- Candidates who wish to pursue B.Tech courses must register themselves online on the IIST website, ensuring that they fulfill the eligibility criteria.
- He/she must submit the application fee of INR 600 (INR 300/- for SC, ST, PWD and women candidates).
- The institute generates an admission list based upon the same.
- Therefore, only those who registered online will be considered eligible for this admission list.
Check IIST UG Admission Portal Here (Open Till 7th Oct)
IIST Trivandrum Cut Offs for Top B.Tech Courses
All the candidates who desire to get admission in any of the B.Tech specialized courses offered by Indian Institute of Space Science and Technology (IIST), Trivandrum have to appear for JEE Advanced.
- The opening and closing cut off rankings at IIST Counselling play a key role in deciding the admission of the candidates into the B.Tech courses.
- Since opening and closing cut off rankings are not released for 2020, 2019 data will be discussed to give the overview of the admission of the B.Tech courses available at IIST Trivandrum.
- The below table shows the opening and closing cut off rankings recorded for the two B.Tech specializations at IIST Trivandrum.
|Courses||2019 Cut Off (Opening – Closing)|
|Aerospace Engineering||11 – 801|
|Electronics and Communication Engineering in Avionics||38 – 847|
|Engineering Physics (Dual Degree)||69 – 702|
Check About JoSAA Counselling 2020 Schedule
Study at IIST Trivandrum during COVID-19
IIST Trivandrum has launched the initiative of e-learning in the middle of global COVID- 19 pandemic. One to one face classroom teaching has been scrapped for the entire year.
- The institute has started the online teaching program platforms for the rest of the semesters.
- IIST Trivandrum has tied up with various online teaching platforms to assist students in learning and providing them with work from home internships.
- Visual seminars and workshops have been started by the institute which aimed at encouraging students to take part in such activities on numerous topics like space and engineering.
- Virtual seminar series has been started by IIST Trivandrum that covers several topics and are designed to make it more accessible to more audiences.
- Online learning helps students to get learning in a variety of contexts, locations, and times.
Why Choose IIST Trivandrum?
Some of the reasons for the candidates to opt for IIST Trivandrum are listed below.
- MHRD has placed IIST Trivandrum at 33rd place in the NIRF Ranking of Engineering Colleges in the year 2020.
- The college offers several facilities including sports, extracurriculars, accommodation, central library etc.
- IIST Trivandrum has one of the excellent faculty members in their respective fields with the work experience of more than 20 years.
- The institute offers scholarships to the meritorious students with excellent academic performance along with the interest in extracurricular activities.
- The institute has a central placement cell and offers excellent placement records from the last few years from the top recruiters of the industry.
IIST Trivandrum Cut Off For B.Tech Specializations
The opening and closing ranks at IIST as per the JEE Advanced score could give you the overview of how the candidates get admitted into the B.Tech courses at IIST Trivandrum. Since 2020 cut off is yet to be announced, the B.Tech Cut Off ranks for Aerospace Engineering and Electronics and Communication Engineering in Avionics are given in the table below.
|Category||Opening Rank||Closing Rank|
Electronics and Communication Engineering in Avionics
|Category||Opening Rank||Closing Rank|
Engineering Physics (Dual Degree)
|Category||Opening Rank||Closing Rank|
Latest News Updates
- JEE Main 2021: Mr Ramesh Pokhriyal Directs NTA to Draft a Fresh Syllabus
- JEE Main 2021 Delayed Till February, JEE Advanced 2021 Syllabus Being Reviewed
- JAC Delhi 2020 Counselling: Seat Allotment Result For Round 3 Declared
- IIT Kharagpur Will Conduct JEE Advanced 2021
- CSAB 2020 Special Rounds Counselling Schedule Released
IIST Trivandrum: Reservation
Admission at IIST Trivandrum B.Tech courses takes as per the seating allocation made at JoSAA Counselling.
- The Seat allocation primarily depends on the communal categories or other special reservation (PwDs/Ex-Military Service) based on which the rankings are done and the seats allocated separately for each of the categories.
- The reservation of seats in percentage as per the category of the candidates is given in the table below:
|Category||Reservation of Seats in Percentage|
|PwDs (40% or more disability)||5 %|
|General EWS||10 %|
Faculty at IIST Trivandrum
Indian Institute of Space Science and Technology (IIST), Trivandrum has a large and diverse faculty of highly qualified and accomplished individuals. They are the most distinguished scholars, who constantly do research in their respective fields.
- The institute has a team of highly qualified faculty members, the majority of them have long teaching experience and are associated with the institution for many years.
- The entire faculty is extremely experienced and well versed in their subject matters.
- The faculty comprises 12 Professors, 54 Associate Professors, 26 Assistant Professors and 4 Adjunct Professors.
- Most of them are conferred with national awards and their research papers are published in various magazines and scientific journals.
Various Facilities Provided at IIST Trivandrum
IIST Trivandrum offers various facilities to the students at the Institute. The institute provides the best learning experience along with other facilities like hostel, central library, etc. Some of the facilities offered by IIST Trivandrum are given below:
- Infrastructure: The college has its main campus at Valiamala, Trivandrum, Kerala. The campus has a well- established academic area, research laboratories, library and information blocks, computer centre, administrative area, senate cum convocation area, residential area, students’ activity centre, and a sports complex.
- Library: IIST Trivandrum has a central library which is fully computerized and has Online Public Access Catalogue (OPAC) accessible from anywhere on the campus on a 24X7 basis. The library has more than 3000 e-journals, hundreds of conference papers, standards, etc.
- Computing Facilities: There are good computing facilities that have been provided for the students like Data Centre- High-Performance cluster server having 3 Teraflop speed (32 HP Blade servers having 64 Dual Quad Processor), 20 TB SAN Storage with NAS Header, Campus Automation Servers, 8 Servers with 4CPU/Dual CPU, High-Performance Computing Lab, etc.
- Health Facilities: There is a provision of a clinic and IIST has ensured emergency medical care and hospitalization for all its students by entering into a Memorandum of Understanding with M/s Ananthapuri Health Services.
Besides all these facilities some other facilities include – Guest House, Studio Apartments, Bank and Post Office, Open Air Theatre, Convocation Complex.
IIST Trivandrum: Placement Report
IIST Trivandrum offers decent placement to candidates getting graduated from B.Tech courses offered here.
- 75% of the total students were placed in the year 2020 from all the streams of B.Tech and Dual Degree courses.
- The best part about graduating from IIST is that students are absorbed as government employees for research or related projects in ISRO or Department of Space.
- Many companies visited the institute and 126 students were totally placed. The overview of the placements is given in the tabular form as follows:
|Total number of placed students||126|
|Average CTC (INR)||6.2 Lakhs Per Annum|
|Higher CTC (INR)||INR 8.2 Lakhs Per Annum|
|Percentage of Students placed||75%|
|Top Recruiters||Airbus, Adobe Systems, Philips, Math Works, Delta Electronics, Quest, etc.|
- Why does NIT Rourkela have a 100% Placement Record?
- Top Recruiters and Placement Records at IIT Kharagpur
Scholarships Offered by IIST Trivandrum
Scholarships at IIST Trivandrum is provided into the most deserving and needy candidates in terms of monthly or annual stipends and fee waiver as follows:
- The institute provides financial assistance to the students from B.Tech and dual degree programmes funded by the Department of Space (DoS), Government of India. The assistantship covers expenses such as tuition fees, hostel & establishment charges and medical expenses.
- Also, an additional book allowance of Rs 3,000 is provided per semester.
- The assistantship to the students, who belong to SC, ST and PD categories, will be continued beyond the first semester only if they secure a minimum GPA of 6.5 (on a scale of 10) in every semester.
Fees Structure for B.Tech at IIST Trivandrum
Given below is the fee structure at IIST Trivandrum for all categories. There is no exemption in any fees for SC/ST students. The breakdown of the fee structure at IIST Trivandrum is given in the table below.
|Particulars||Amount (In INR)|
|Caution Money (Refundable)||13,000|
IIST Trivandrum FAQs
Last updated on October 5th, 2020 at 11:06 am
Ans. Candidates who wish to get admission into the B.Tech courses offered by IIST Trivandrum need to score good cut off/ranking in JEE Main exam conducted by NTA. There are certain Opening and Closing ranks that decide the admission done through JoSAA Counselling.
Last updated on October 5th, 2020 at 11:07 am
Ans: The annual intake of the Indian Institute of Space Science and Technology, Trivandrum is around 250 students in all the courses offered at the Institute.
Last updated on October 5th, 2020 at 11:09 am
Ans: IIST Trivandrum offers B.Tech, M.Tech and Ph.D programs at undergraduate, postgraduate and doctoral levels respectively.
Last updated on October 5th, 2020 at 11:09 am
Ans: IIST Trivandrum has a dedicated and well managed placement cell which trains students and prepares them for the recruitment drives. Placement cell of the institute also conducts various workshops like Resume building, communication enhancement skill improvement workshops, GD/ Interview preparation sessions to prepare students for the placement drives.
Last updated on October 5th, 2020 at 11:10 am
Ans: Yes, IIST Trivandrum offers scholarships to the students. Scholarships are offered to the meritorious undergraduate and Ph.D. scholars on the basis of their academic performance.