IIIT Nagpur recently started functioning from July 2016, under the mentorship of Visvesvaraya National Institute of Technology (VNIT). It is documented under the Indian Institute of Information Technology (Public-Private Partnership) Act, 2017. Like the other new set up IIITs in India, this college is also in its initial stages.
- Being one of the Indian Institutes of Information Technology, the Ministry of Human Resources Development (MHRD), Government of India, provided IIITN with a grant of 3 crores for its establishment.
- Moreover, the Government of Maharashtra and Tata Consultancy Services (TCS), Mumbai, are the stakeholders in the IIIT Nagpur.
- IIIT Nagpur began running its operations in the temporary campus Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited’s Regional Telecom Training Centre (BSNL RTTC).
The Institute in total admits 252 students for B.Tech courses in Computer Science & Engineering (CSE) and Electronics & Communication Engineering (ECE). The admission of the students is done through the merit basis according to the results of the common entrance exam JEE Main followed by JoSAA Counselling.
IIIT Nagpur: Highlights
|Established in||July 2016|
|Type||Autonomous On PPP (Public-Private Partnership)|
|Mentor Institute||Visvesvaraya National Institute of Technology (VNIT)|
|Level of the Courses||UG and PhD|
IIIT Nagpur: B.Tech Admissions Through JEE Main
Till now though IIITN only offers graduation and doctorate courses, and M.Tech (Masters in Technology) programs will also start soon, according to the official website.
IIIT Nagpur offers courses under the following Departments:
- Department Of Computer Science And Engineering (CSE)
- Department Of Electronics And Communication Engineering (ECE)
- Department Of Basics Science
B. Tech Courses Offered
The Institute started the B.Tech courses in the year 2016 with just 40 students, but today IIIT Nagpur offers 144 seats in CSE and 108 seats in ECE.
Currently, the specialization programs in B.Tech at IIIT Nagpur are as follows-
- BTech in Computer Science And Engineering (CSE)
- BTech in Electronics And Communication Engineering (ECE)
Admission Procedure at IIIT Nagpur
- The admission to B.Tech courses in IIIT Nagpur is done on the basis of JEE Main Ranks, which is conducted by NTA (National Testing Agency) every year.
- The whole procedure is managed and carried under the authority of the Joint Admission Board (JAB).
- For taking part in JoSAA Counselling, candidates have to clear the JEE Main Cut Off too.
- The students will be admitted on the basis of IIIT Nagpur Cut Off that will show the required minimum JEE Main All India Rank.
- Through JoSAA Counselling, colleges will display the opening and the closing ranks of candidates who can get admission.
- The students fulfilling the criteria can go to the Campus in Nagpur with the necessary documents and confirm their admission after paying tuition fees.
Eligibility at IIIT Nagpur for B.Tech
For getting admission into the UG courses in IIIT Nagpur, the students need to meet the following conditions:
- Eligibility for JEE Main – Candidate should have done his 10+2 from science background with compulsory subjects as Physics, Mathematics, Language etc., and,
- Should have obtained at least 75% marks (65% for SC/ ST/ PwD) in 10+2 or equivalent qualifying exam, or should be in the top 20% percentile of their recognised Central or State board.
Also Read | Top Engineering Colleges in India
IIIT Nagpur Cut Off For Top B.Tech Courses
There are only two main B.Tech courses as of 2019 at IIITN. The final list i.e. JoSAA Counselling Round 7 list provides the final opening and closing ranks for IIIT Nagpur Cut Off. Since IIIT Nagpur does not have home state quota or female reservations, the cut off is released category-wise. Here are the JoSAA 2019 and 2018 Round 7 Closing Ranks of IIIT Nagpur, under general category-
|Courses||2019 Closing Ranks||2018 Closing Ranks|
Study At IIIT Nagpur During COVID-19
As a result of the Coronavirus Pandemic, the Institute has laid down various guidelines to curb the spread of the infection at the campus. Proper preventive measures have been taken:
- Proper Social distancing is to be practised
- Covering of face with masks
- Regular disinfection of the surfaces
- Scanning of the body temperature of the visitors
Important Measures For Students Amid COVID-19
IIIT Nagpur understands the importance of mental health during this pandemic.
- Which is why it has provided the space where students can discuss any kind of mental/emotional health issues with a counsellor.
- The Institute has also provided a contact number on the official website which students can contact in case of any need for help/guidance irrespective of their location.
- For imparting education – new time tables and schedules have been uploaded on the official website of IIITN which can be followed via video conferencing.
- So, regular online classes have started and the students will be provided with the study material and other aids through online mode as far as possible.
Why Should You Join IIIT Nagpur?
Though IIIT Nagpur has been installed recently, the under-construction of a 100 acres permanent campus, behind Sutgirni at Waranga on Wardha Road, is going to be over soon. This new campus aiming for higher vertical expansion will have a capacity to accommodate over 2,000 students.
- The space of the new permanent campus will be shared with IT companies at Waranga. This is an added benefit as the students can get exposure to the practical knowledge and contact with the market world leading to the better development of the students.
- The mentor Institute of IIIT Nagpur is Visvesvaraya National Institute Of Technology (VNIT) which in itself is a great benefit as the IIITN follows the guidelines given by VNIT.
IIIT Nagpur Cut Off for B.Tech Specialisations
The following table shows the cut off opening and closing ranks of Round 1 & 7 respectively. It is sourced from the rounds of JoSAA counselling in 2019 which can help in assessing the expected ranks at which students can get admission into IIIT Nagpur this year.
Computer Science and Engineering
Electronics & Communication Engineering
Reservation Criteria at IIIT Nagpur
There are following percentage of seats that are reserved for student belonging to various categories according to the JEE Main Reservation Policy:
|Category||Percentage of Seats|
|Other backward classes – (Non-creamy Layer)||27%|
|Persons with Disability||5%|
Various Facilities Provided at IIIT Nagpur
There are a number of accessible facilities available to the residents of the campus that help in easing their daily life. The following necessary installations are provided to the students to ease their overall experience-
- Well established laboratories
- Huge updated Library (physical books and online resources)
- Girls Common Room
- Recreation Room
- Reading Room
- Gym and Playgrounds
- Medical Aids and Facilities
- Wi-Fi connectivity
The extracurricular activities like television in the common halls and sports like Table Tennis, snooker are made available to the students for entertainment and refreshment purposes.
Various labs provided at the campus for research purposes are-
- Microprocessor Lab
- Control System Lab
- Computer Programming Lab
- Database Lab
- Data Structure & Algorithm Lab
- Nano Sci-tech Lab
There are a number of different social and cultural activities where students get the chance to upgrade their skills. This is promoted for the holistic development of the students’ mind. To enhance their character, values and all-inclusive learning experience, the students are exposed to the following opportunities:
- National Level Technical Event – TantraFiesta
- National Level Cultural Event – Abhivyakti
- Institute Annual Sports Gathering
Latest News Updates
- JEE Main 2020 Admit Card Released on Jeemain.nic.in. Download Now
- JEE Main 2020 Day 1: Check Exam Updates and JEE Main Paper Analysis
- Registrations For JoSAA Counselling To Begin From 6th October
- Check JEE Main Participating Colleges
- JEE Advanced 2020: Revised Schedule Released, Registration Starts from 11 September
Faculty at IIIT Nagpur
The Adjunct, Visiting and the Regular faculty at IIIT Nagpur are resourceful professors and lecturers with dynamic enthusiasm from all over the country.
- There are a total of 20 Assistant Professors and 5 Adjunct Professors (on contract) at IIITN.
- Some of the teachers are from the mentor institute i.e. VNIT and others are from IITs or NITs, maintaining quality education at IIITN.
IIIT Nagpur Placements
As per the official website of IITN, the following statistics can be considered for the batch of 2020:
|Placement Statistics||Amount in Rupees|
|Highest package at IIITN||20 LPA|
|Average Package||8.5 LPA|
The following is the list of companies that recruited at IIITN – Click2Cloud, Bit Mapper, Jio, Wiley NXT, Tata Consultancy Services, Siemens, Healthineers, Clever Trap, L&T Infotech, Manipal Global Education Services and others.
Scholarships at IIIT Nagpur
IIIT Nagpur does not provide any direct scholarships to its B.Tech students.
- The required financial assistance is provided to the students from various backgrounds according to the schemes of the State and Central Government, as and where applicable.
- The students seeking scholarships can visit the website of the Department of Higher Education – Ministry of Education, the government of India (https://www.mhrd.gov.in/scholarships).
As per the official website of IIIT Nagpur, the authorities have provided the following links for the students who wish to avail the financial assistance:
|For Maharashtra Domicile Students||https://mahadbtmahait.gov.in/|
|For MP Domicile Students||http://scholarshipportal.mp.nic.in/MedhaviChhatra/Login/sLogin.aspx|
|For Rajasthan Domicile Students||http://www.sje.rajasthan.gov.in|
|For National Level Scholarship||https://nsp.gov.in|
Also Check | NIT Surathkal: 2nd Best NIT of the country
IIIT Nagpur Fee Structure For B.Tech
Even though IIIT Nagpur has 50% authority from the central government, it does not provide any special exceptions to SC/ST/PwD categories or EWS categories. Moreover, the college does not provide direct scholarships but assists students in availing central or state government scholarships.
The fees in the details for the B.Tech courses at Indian Institute of Information Technology Nagpur is as follows:
|Per Year Fees|
|A||Sub Total (Yearly Fees)||2,08,700|
|One Time Fees (To be paid at admission only)|
|1||Library Deposit (Refundable)||5000|
|2||Caution Deposit (Refundable)||5000|
|6||Medical Aid Fund||5000|
|B||Sub Total (One Time Fees)||16,500|
|July To November Semester (First Semester)||1,12,600|
|January to May Semester (Second Semester)||1,12,600|
IIIT Nagpur FAQ’s
- Rail Mode: Nagpur main Railway Station at 5.5 Kms.
- By Road: Nagpur Central Bus Stand at 7.2 Kms.
- Air Mode: Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar International Airport in Nagpur at 12.5 Kms