Indian Institute of Information Technology, Kalyani, is an Institution of National Importance jointly set up by the MHRD, Coal India & Rolta under a Not-for-profit PPP model. IIIT Kalyani has enrolled 118 students for only one of its disciplines: Computer Science and Engineering (CSE). Seats are filled up through JoSAA. Admission is done in IIIT Kalyani based on the qualifying JEE Main examination, administered by Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE).
- Initially, the campus started its activities on a temporary campus in JIS College of Engineering. Later on, the campus was shifted to Webel IT Park, Kalyani.
- Admission is offered in B.Tech based on JEE Main Ranks obtained by the candidates.
- IIIT Kalyani has its collaboration with IISc Bangalore, IIT Bombay, IIT Kharagpur, C-DAC Kolkata & Pune, SNLTR Kolkata, and SkyBits Technologies Pvt. Ltd.
IIIT Kalyani: Highlights
|Admission Criteria||JEE Main and 10+2 scores (for B.Tech)|
|Location||Kalyani, West Bengal|
|Institute type||Public-Private Partnership|
|Popular courses||UG (BTech) and PG (PhD)|
IIIT Kalyani: B.Tech Admissions Through JEE Main
The specially designed 4-year B.Tech CSE programme of IIIT Kalyani builds up a solid foundation in fundamentals of computer science and many other complex technologies. This provides the required skill sets for graduates to become successful industry leaders. Students get hands-on training experience in IT industries, business, and service sectors.
B. Tech Courses Offered at IIIT Kalyani
IIIT Kalyani offers admission in a full-time 4-year B.Tech programme in Computer Science & Engineering only. The other departments currently offer PhD programmes only.
Several industrial training programs are offered under the PPP scheme for students of B.Tech.
The five departments of IIIT Kalyani are as follows :
- Computer Science and Engineering (CSE);
- Electronics and Communication Engineering (ECE);
- Mathematics (MA);
- Physics (PH);
- and Humanities (HU)
Admission Process for B.Tech at IIIT Kalyani
- IIIT Kalyani’s B.Tech programme has recorded an enrolment of 118 students in Computer Science and Engineering through Joint Seat Allocation Authority (JoSAA).
- The admission is done based on All India Ranks of candidates obtained in JEE Main Results.
- Depending upon the category & related cut offs, admission is provided to a student in the single B.Tech course.
IIIT Kalyani Cut Off 2019 to 2017 For B.Tech
The table below shows you the previous year cutoff for IIIT Kalyani B.Tech CSE admissions-
As visible above, the general category closing ranks has remained close to around 35,000. This shows that the college aims for a batch with bright students who have performed well in the JEE Main exam.
Study at IIIT Kalyani during COVID-19
Due to COVID-19, the admission and classes of IIIT Kalyani have been suspended until further updates. Also, the institute is kept close during this period. The faculty members and research scholars are advised to take classes online and do their study through the online facility provided by the institution.
- No one is permitted to enter the Institute campus till 14th April.
- Hostel facilities will remain functional. Mess facilities will be kept open and Hostellers are permitted to visit only to the nearby market for day-to-day needs.
- No activity, seminar or gathering is allowed on-campus. All training and internship activities are also suspended.
Why Choose IIIT Kalyani?
The Indian Institute of Information Technology Kalyani has been set up under the Public-Private Partnership (PPP) model, so it offers the advantages of both a public institution and a private institution.
- Under the guidance of the Director and number of industry representatives, the institute aims to excel in education and research in Information Technology and allied areas.
- The 4-year B.Tech program in CSE builds up a solid programming concept in students, along with the skill set required to solve some of the toughest problems of the 21st century.
- The students also get the opportunity to work with the partnered institutions to provide them internship and training in the industry, service and business sector.
- The students of IIIT, Kalyani also got placed in IT Companies such as Wipro, TCS, IBM, Cognizant, and Capgemini.
- The highest package offered in the latest 2020 placement drives was INR 17 LPA with an average salary of INR 6.2 LPA. The average CTC of the previous year was INR 3.4 LPA only.
IIIT Kalyani Cut Off For B.Tech Specializations
IIIT Kalyani offers admission in only one specialization at the Undergraduate level. The Department of Computer Science offers B.Tech in Computer Science Engineering at IIIT Kalyani. Thousands of students each year apply for the CSE B.Tech admissions. The admissions are conducted based on the candidate’s All India Ranks in JEE Main Results. A candidate thus applies for admission through Joint Seat Allocation Authority counselling or JoSAA Counselling.
The opening and closing rank for the year 2019 for CSE admissions are as follows-
|Category||Opening Cut Off Ranks||Closing Cut Off Ranks|
|Open Category (General)||13277||34168|
IIIT Kalyani: Reservation through JoSAA Counselling
Out of the 118 seats available for admission, 50 seats are open and rest are filled by the reserved candidates at IIIT Kalyani for B.Tech in Computer Science and Engineering.
- There is no special seal allocation for female candidates at IIIT Kalyani.
- However, the admission is done based on the reservation criteria, as decided by the Central and the state government.
IIIT Kalyani reserves some seat according to the reservation criteria, as illustrated below in the table:
|OBC (non-creamy layer)||27%|
|PwD (40% or more disability)||5%|
Faculty at IIlT Kalyani
- IIIT Kalyani currently has 15 academic staff (regular) and six visiting faculty members from IIT Kharagpur, ISI Kolkata and other institutions.
- All teachers hold PhD and some are even recognized by NASA.
- The CSE department has faculty members who have previously worked with institutions like BITS Pilani and IIT Kharagpur.
- The institution has dynamic young PhD faculty members, who hold certifications from National Institutes of India.
- The teachers help students to carry out their academic and research activities to the next higher level.
Latest News Updates
Various Facilities Provided at IIIT Kalyani
A bunch of facilities are provided for students as well as faculty members at IIIT Kalyani-
- Software & Hardware labs: IIIT Kalyani campus is equipped with a sufficient number of labs, both hardware and software. 2 fully facilitated labs are located in the Computer Science department. Other labs include that of Electronics and Digital Systems lab.
- Special Classrooms: IIIT Kalyani provides the facility of smart classrooms for its students. The classes also have the facility of video conferencing.
- Library: The institute library has books counting nearly to 4500. Also, it has an online facility of NSDL and American Library for its students.
- Accommodation: IIIT Kalyani offers on-campus residence in hostels (separate for both boys and girls). The rooms are fully facilitated with furniture, Wifi, and other facilities.
- Sports: IIIT Kalyani offers a range of sports facilities in collaboration with the stadium of Kalyani.
- Medical Facilities: College of Medicine & JNM Hospital, are located nearby the campus. The college also has a 24-hour ambulance service.
- Student activities: Popular clubs and committees on campus include the Alcoholic Coding club, Drama Club and the Film & Media Club.
IIIT Kalyani Placements
IIIT Kalyani students have been placed in many IT companies such as – Wipro, TCS, IBM, Cognizant, and Capgemini.
- IIIT Kalyani has strong industry relations. It invites a range of leaders from the biggest IT companies to deliver guest lectures and for seminars.
- Students of IIIT Kalyani are encouraged to take up projects on contemporary topics and they are also offered training on live projects.
- Students interact with business leaders, management thinkers, entrepreneurs and corporate leaders, as a part of Entrepreneurship activities of IIIT Kalyani.
- Average CTC offered – INR 6.2 LPA
- Highest CTC offered – INR 17 LPA
The table below shows the placement statistics for IIIT Kalyani for 2 different academic sessions-
|Total students appeared for placement||45|
|Total jobs offered||36|
|Total students selected||31|
|Highest salary||17 LPA|
|Average salary||6.2 LPA|
|Percentage of Students Placed||69%|
Scholarships Offered by IIIT Kalyani
IIIT Kalyani offers many scholarships under the schemes of Central and State Governments. The students can take advantage of these scholarships by applying to the State Government and Central Government Scholarship portal.
- The IIIT Kalyani’s admission office provides full assistance to the students to apply for such opportunities.
- W.B. Government also facilitates Tuition fee waiver scholarship in the form of a half or full free studentship based on Merit cum means.
- Some of the scholarships provided to B.Tech students at IIIT Kalyani includes the Vidya Lakshmi yojna, Muskhyamantri Medhavi Vidhyarthi yojna, and the Partial freeship scholarship scheme by the Government of West Bengal.
Fee Structure for B.Tech at IIIT Kalyani
The cost of attendance at IIIT Kalyani is nearly similar to other IIITs of India. IIIT Kalyani provides no fee waiver for any category of applicants attending the institution.
Check the below table for B.Tech programs cost of attendance at the IIIT Kalyani:
|Particulars||Fees (in Rs.)|
|One Time Fees (during admission)||4620|
|Refundable Caution Deposits||5000|
- Students should remember that the Mess fee may vary. Also, there is a probability of 10% increase in fee every year.
- Students can also check the full fee structure for 2018-19 here.
IIIT Kalyani FAQs
Answer. Since the college was founded in 2014, and till now the IIIT Kalyani has undergone some major changes for the development of students. The Webel IT park campus has AC classrooms, with the best labs and learning environment. All teachers hold PhD and some are even recognized by NASA. The institution also organizes workshops and other events frequently in collaboration with other IITs and big companies like IBM and Microsoft. So, overall taking admission in IIIT Kalyani is a good step.
Answer. Taking admission in the CSE branch of IIIT Kalyani for B.Tech is a good decision. All labs are connected by LAN and Wifi and 6 hours of coding/practical session for coding is conducted each week. The department organizes many online coding competitions regularly on platforms like Codechef, HackerRank, & HackerEarth. IIT Kharagpur is the mentor institution for IIIT Kalyani which means the same curriculum is followed in both the colleges.
Answer. Reaching IIIT Kalyani is pretty easy. Kalyani Ghoshpara Railway Station in Kolkata is the nearest transportation medium, which is around 2.8 km away from the campus. Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose International Airport is the nearest airport, which is 45.1 km away from the Institute.