Last updated on October 23rd, 2020 at 05:37 pm
IIIT Guwahati (also known as Indian Institute of Information Technology Guwahati) was established in the year 2013. The Ministry of Human Resources established the institute in the capital of the state of Assam. Later, in the year 2017, the institute was declared as an Institute of National Importance under an Act of Parliament. The institution holds a very reputed name in Assam, for higher education in the technical field.
- Like other renowned IIITs, the college offers courses such as Bachelor of Technology (BTech), Master of Technology (MTech) and Doctorate in Philosophy (PhD).
- IIIT Guwahati Ranking was at 66th position in NIRF 2020 engineering colleges across the entire country.
- IIIT Guwahati has managed to retain its position under 100 top engineering colleges of India.
- The facilities provided by the institution include varied sports complexes, well-equipped labs, campus hostels for both genders, shuttle service, wifi fixed campus, cafeteria, library and technical seminar halls.
- B.Tech admissions at IIIT Guwahati are granted based on the candidates’ performance in JEE Main exam.
IIIT Guwahati: Highlights
|Year of establishing||2013|
|Area of the campus||70 acres|
|Popular courses offered||B.Tech, M.Tech, PhD|
|Entrance Exams||JEE Main, GATE|
|Mode of application||Online|
IIIT Guwahati: B.Tech Admissions Through JEE Main
Indian Institute of Information Technology Guwahati accepts candidates who qualify the JEE Main exam with the declared minimum cut off. Candidates who qualify the entrance exam must provide their scorecard/All India Rank during the counselling and admission process.
Once a candidate has qualified JEE Main, he/she has to apply and appear in the Joint Counselling for Engineering Institutes or JoSAA counselling. Candidates must also have a minimum score of 75% in their 12th board examination. The institute/university accepts candidates who qualify the examination by applying and appearing in this entirely online-based process.
Read | CSAB SFTI Counselling
Various B.Tech Specializations Offered
The institute provides a total of two 4-year full-time B.Tech Specializations to aspirants-
- Computer Science and Engineering (CSE)
- Electronics and Communication Engineering (ECE)
This is because the institute was set up in 2013 with limited infrastructure in the state of Assam. The first batch of both the specialisations graduated from the college in 2017. Also, the performance of IIITG in both these departments has been outstanding in the past three years.
- What Courses You Can Opt at IIIT Delhi?
- Advantage of Pursuing Dual Degree (B.Tech + M.Tech) in IIT Kharagpur
Eligibility Criteria for B.Tech
Given below is the eligibility criteria for allotment of seat in B.Tech course at IIIT Guwahati-
- The student must have secured the minimum marks decided by the institution in the class 12th board examination. (This rule is now scrapped by government)
- Minimum Age Criteria must be met.
- He/she must fall under the IIIT Guwahati Cut Off/closing ranks.
- Admission Process in NIT Warangal through JEE Main
- IIIT Allahabad Cut Off, Fees, Scholarships and More
IIIT Guwahati: Cut Off for Top B.Tech Courses
Given below are the IIIT Guwahati cut off for top B.Tech courses. The cut off is provided as general category opening-closing ranks from the JoSAA 2019 Counselling 7th Round.
|Course||2019 Cut Off (OR-CR)|
|Computer Science and Engineering||8661-21601|
|Electronics & Communication Engineering||8329-31318|
As visible above, the cut off for the general category goes pretty high. This results in a batch of highly intellectual students with great overall performance at the college.Also Check:
IIIT Guwahati: Academics During COVID-19
The lifestyle at the moment has become hideous and online/digital mode has become the new normal amid COVID-19. Due to the pandemic, classes were halted from 16th March as the institution remained shut since then.
- Online classes commenced from March 23, 2020. The hostel was informed to be open for students from remote areas with no internet. The institution promised to hold online classes with good audio and video quality.
- Regular online YOGA classes for faculty, staff and students are scheduled to boost immunity and do away with mental stress.
- IIT Guwahati has also contributed research in the fields of Ventilator, Hospital beds, 3 Layer fabric mask, Epidemic pattern and disease, Compostable Plastic Masks, Model the COVID-19 virus etiology using the tools of biophysics.
- Indian Institute of Information Technology Guwahati announced the cancellation of the annual convocation. The institution announced the commencement of next semester from 10 August 2020 in online mode only.
The academics at college has continued with a few problems amid the COVID-19 pandemic. Along with this, the Director of the college kept the students updated with regular notifications on how to move further.
Why Should You Choose IIIT Guwahati?
There are various options available for you but imagine being in a class of 60 students, and you might bag an offer of INR 56 LPA, that too for working abroad! This is what happened during the placements at IIIT Guwahati during 2018-19.
- The college has an intra-college fest named YUVAAN where students strive in both outdoor games, indoor games, computer games and cultural events such as singing, dancing and skits.
- Indian Institute of Information Technology Guwahati also takes students to participate in inter-college cultural and sports meets held outside the college.
- Various clubs at IIIT Guwahati help you polish some of your interests and skills along with regular academics. Given below are some clubs of IIITG-
- Programming Club: The club at the institution sets a secure basement in students by enhancing their skills in computer programming.
- Robotics Club: This club works on reinforcing the student’s design state-of-the-art prototypes in the field of robotics
- Quiz Club: Members of this club take part in quiz competitions held in other institutions and work on enriching the knowledge of each other.
- Cultural Club: The members of this year work on searching for fresh talents every year and exploring new faces of skills and bringing pride to the institution.
- Hostel Life: The hostel buildings present inside the campus accommodates more than 400 boys and 100 girls. The hostel has an inbuilt shared dining space and a separate recreation room. WiFi with high-speed internet service is available all the time.
- Why Should One Choose NIT Surathkal Over Other NITs?
- NIT Trichy Could Be Your Best Alternative To IITs
IIIT Guwahati Cut Off For B.Tech Specializations
Given below are IIIT Guwahati Cut Offs for the two B.Tech courses. Since the focus of college has been on only these two courses, the cut off usually goes high. IIITG Cut Off is provided as the closing ranks of the last rounds of JoSAA Counselling.
Electronics and Communication Engineering
|Category||2019 Cut Off||2018 Cut Off||2017 Cut Off|
|Economically weaker sections||–||33193||32112|
Computer Science and Engineering
|Category||2019 Cut Off||2018 Cut Off||2017 Cut Off|
|Economically weaker sections||–||25250||25867|
Latest News Updates
- JEE Main 2021: Mr Ramesh Pokhriyal Directs NTA to Draft a Fresh Syllabus
- JEE Main 2021 Delayed Till February, JEE Advanced 2021 Syllabus Being Reviewed
- JAC Delhi 2020 Counselling: Seat Allotment Result For Round 3 Declared
- IIT Kharagpur Will Conduct JEE Advanced 2021
- CSAB 2020 Special Rounds Counselling Schedule Released
IIIT Guwahati: Reservation via JEE Counselling (JoSAA)
Given below is the reservation criteria at IIITG. Due to the college being a government institution, reservation rules as per the government norms apply here. Since the counselling of IIIT Guwahati is conducted in two phases – Home State and Other State (All India Quota), there is 50% reservation for students with state domicile.
|Category of the candidate||Percentage of reservation|
|PWD (across all categories)||5%|
Faculty at IIIT Guwahati
The faculty at Indian Institute of Information Technology Guwahati consists of some highly intellectual and qualified members. There are a total of 47 faculty members as per latest NIRF data.
- 45 faculty members are PhDs. The remaining two have a maximum qualification of M.Tech degree.
- A few faculty members have an experience in the field of teaching of more than 200 months which is equivalent to more than 15 years. Few have an experience of more than 35 years as well.
- The student to faculty ratio is around 9:1, which shows that the college has a small batch size which adheres to each and every student individually.
- There is a good balance between male and female faculty members.
Various Facilities Provided at IIIT Guwahati
- Accommodation: The institute provides stay-in hostel service inside the campus. The block constructed for boys accommodates up to 400 students whereas 100 girls shall be provided in the hostel built for girls. High-speed internet, electricity backups and a highly secured campus make the environment safer.
- Internet Connection: The Institute provides high-speed 1 Gbps LAN and Wi-fi connectivity for the whole community inside the campus.
- Library: Currently, the library has been stocked up with 1,214 printed volume of books. The institute has subscribed to the IEEE and ACM e-journal packages through which the users can get access to about 218 journals. The reading room remains as an add-on to the list.
- Laboratories: The well-equipped laboratories present inside the educational block are – Electronics Lab, Signal Processing Lab, Communication Lab, Microwave engineering lab, Embedded Systems Lab, VLSI lab, Robotics lab.
- Other facilities: Students of the institute also get to enjoy facilities such as Cafeteria, Transport service, Gym, Sports complex (indoor and outdoor), Dining and mess facility.
IIIT Guwahati Placement Report
Top companies to which the students have been selected were: TCS, Infosys, Toppr Technologies, Byjus, Samsung India, Reliance Jio, Zaloni, Antron, Virtusa, Nagarro, LnT Infotech.
|Total student registered||25||20||45|
|Total student selected||22||12||34|
|Average salary||11 LPA||8.1 LPA||10.2 LPA|
|Median Salary||6.5 LPA||5 LPA||5.5 LPA|
|Highest salary||17 LPA||12 LPA||17 LPA|
|Percentage placed so far||88%||60%||76%|
The top educational institutes to which students have been selected for higher education include:
- University of Pennsylvania Brown University
- University of California San Diego
- University of California Davis
- University of Wisconsin Madison.
Computer Science and Engineering course offered by the IIIT Guwahati placement record holds a history of 88% placement with the highest CTC of INR 56 LPA (international). Domestic placement bagged the highest CTC of INR 21 LPA. Both these offers were during 2018-2019 placements.
Electronics and Communication Engineering course holds a history of 66% placements with the highest CTC of INR 15 LPA during IIIT Guwahati placement of 2017-18.
Scholarships at IIIT Guwahati
If a student requires financial assistance, who comes from a weaker economic background, he/she can apply and receive an education loan through Vidhya-Lakshmi portal for which the institute helps. Students with good JEE Ranks and scores can apply for Simon Scholarship.
As per the official website, the institute does not provide scholarships to undergraduate students. Currently, direct financial assistance from college is provided only to PhD students. However, the college offers assistance in providing loans to students. Few banks which set up camps at college are-
- HDFC Bank
- Syndicate Bank
- Vidyalakshmi Portal by NSDL
Other than this, the official portal of the Government of India – www.scholarships.gov.in – can be useful in order to avail financial assistance for higher education at IIIT Guwahati. Currently, under the state and central government schemes, 6 students of the college were receiving full tuition fees reimbursement, while many were receiving in part.
Fee Structure for B.Tech at IIIT Guwahati
|Particulars||Fee Payable (INR)|
|Tuition fee/semester||1,00,000 /-|
|Institution development fee / semester||12,500 /-|
|Institution caution fee (one time)||5,000 /-|
|Hostel rent / semester||12,500 /-|
|Mess fee/semester||4,000 /-|
|Total Fees||1,30,000 /-|
- Mess Fee and Hostel Charges are for students who are staying on-campus accommodations. These charges are not mandatory for day scholars.
- Previously, the college had some fee remission for certain categories such as SC/ST/PwD. However, from 2019 onwards, fees for all categories are the same.
- Due to the Public-Private Partnership Model of IIIT Guwahati, scholarships as per government rules are not provided. However, the college does provide various facilities to avail education loans.
IIIT Guwahati FAQs
Ans. There are a total of 233 seats available for B.Tech course at IIITG. 33 seats are reserved for female candidates only. Under CSE, there are 130 seats available and under ECE, 70 seats are available.
Ans. CSE Branch at IIIT Guwahati is top-notch. The highest CTC from the B.Tech batch of INR 56 LPA was from the CSE branch. Overall, B.Tech in CSE has had an average placement of INR 10 LPA.
Ans. One can reach IIIT Guwahati from Guwahati Airport via NH37. The college is 4 km away from the airport. Cab facilities are available from the airport. Guwahati Railway Station is also close to the campus.
Ans. Currently, TCS is the industry partner at IIITG. The company offers summer internships to students as well as various top executives visit the college for providing lectures and industry knowledge on specific topics.