Last updated on September 6th, 2021
GATE 2022 will be held on February 5 – 6, 2022, and February 12 -13, 2022. GATE 2022 application form has started on September 2, 2021. The eligible students can fill the registration form till September 24, 2021. It will be held in different cities. GATE 2022 will be conducted by the IIT Kharagpur. GATE 2022 will be held for two more papers i.e Naval Architecture & Marine Engineering (NM) and Geomatics Engineering (GE).
- 2 September 2021: GATE 2022 Application Form Released, Register Now
What’s GATE 2022?
The Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE 2022) is a National Level Test for admission in IITs and IISc and conducted every year by Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs) at Kharagpur, Mumbai, Delhi, Guwahati, Kanpur, Chennai, Roorkee & by the Indian Institute of Science at Bengaluru to test the comprehensive understanding of various subjects in Engineering and Science for the admission into the Master’s programs.
GATE 2022 Highlights
|Name of the exam||GATE 2022|
|Conducting Body||IIT Kharagpur|
|Exam level||National Level Test|
|Mode of exam||Computer Based Test (CBT)|
|Duration of the exam||180 Minutes (3 hours)|
|Number of Papers||29|
|Question Type||MCQ, MSQ, NAT|
|Number of Exam Centers||212 (206 in India, 6 in foreign countries)|
|Official Brochure||Check Here|
GATE 2022 Important Dates
GATE 2022 will be held in February on the following dates; February 5, 2021, February 6, 2021, February 12, 2021, and February 13, 2021, in two shifts (Forenoon & Afternoon). GATE 2022 exam dates and important dates for the exam has been notified in the following tabular:
|Start Date To Apply for GATE 2022 Exam||September 2, 2021|
|Last Date to Apply for GATE 2022 Exam||September 24, 2021|
|Last Date to Apply for GATE 2022 (Extended Period With Late Fees)||October 1, 2021|
|Start date to make changes in Application Forms||October 26, 2021|
|Last date to make changes in the Applications||November 1, 2021|
|Last date for change of Category||November 12, 2021|
|Last date for change of paper||November 12, 2021|
|Last date for change of examination center||November 12, 2021|
|Admit Card Release Date||January 3, 2022|
|Date of examination||February 5, 2022February 6, 2022 February 12, 2022 February 13, 2022|
|Result Date||March 17, 2022|
GATE 2022 Eligibility Criteria for Indians
GATE 2022 can be attempted by the students who are in the 3rd or higher year of their degree program. The application process for GATE 2022 will commence on September 2, 2021. Candidates who wish to apply for it must know the eligibility criteria and check the same on GATE’s official website. Anyone is eligible for this entrance if they have one of the necessary qualifications given below:
- The Applicants who have passed or currently studying in the final year of the Undergraduate degree program of a Minimum of four years or three years after pursuing a Diploma in Engineering/ Technology/ Naval Architecture/ Planning Architecture/ Science/ Professional Society Examinations equivalent to B.tech./ B.Arch./ B.E., and approved by MHRD/UPSC/AICTE.
- The Applicants who are in the final year of B.Arch (5 years) or have completed this course.
- The Candidates who are in or have already passed 4th/ 5th/ 6th/ year of Pharma. D. courses (6 years program with internship).
- Degree holders of M.B.B.S. or B.D.S. The Applicants who are in the 7th/ 8th/ 9th semester of such a program can also apply for GATE 2022.
- Master’s degree holders in any branch of Science/ Maths/ Statistics/ Computer Applications or Equivalent.
- Post-BSc Integrated Master’s Degree holders in Engineering/ Technology (4 years). Second to final year students or the ones who have completed this course can apply for GATE 2022.
- Candidates who have passed or are in the 4th/ 5th year of Integrated Master’s Degree Programme in Engineering/ Technology/ Science/ Arts (5 years).
- There is no upper age limit that has been specified for GATE 2022. Students of any age who fulfill the GATE 2022 Eligibility Criteria are eligible.
- There is no limit on the number of attempts. Candidates can apply for GATE as many times as possible.
GATE 2022 Eligibility Criteria for International Students
Candidates belonging to Foreign Nationals and NRIs categories are eligible for GATE 2022 if they have passed or are currently studying for a Master’s/ Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or equivalent.
- They can opt for M.Tech and Ph.D. program offered by IITs and IISc.
- Unfortunately, GATE 2022 will not be conducted in any International Centres due to the pandemic COVID-19.
- Candidates residing outside India can register and appear for GATE 2022 in any cities listed for the test in India.
- The age limit and the number of attempts for GATE 2022 are the same as for Indians.
GATE 2022 Papers Codes
Aspirants opting to appear in two papers must have a primary choice of papers as their default choice. The second choice of paper has to be chosen from the combinations given in the table below.
- Candidates must familiarize themselves with the codes of papers as they will be required during application and examination as well.
- The codes have been given to a different set of papers. Let’s see the complete codes of papers.
|Code of the first paper||Codes of papers allowed as the second paper||Code of the first paper||Codes of papers allowed as the second paper|
|AE||NM, XE||BT||BM, XL|
|AG||ES, GE, XE, XL||CE||AE, AR, ES, GE, NM|
|BM||BT, EC, IN, XL||CS||EC. GE, MA, ST|
|CY||XL||EC||IN, PH, EE, CS, GE|
|EE||EC, IN||ES||AG, CE, GE|
|EY||XL||GE||CE, GG, ES, MN|
|GG||GE, MN, PE, PH||IN||EC, EE, PH|
|MA||CS, GE, PH, ST||ME||AE, CH, NM, PI, XE|
|MN||GG, XE, GE||MT||PH, XE|
|NM||AE, CE, XE||PE||CH, GG, XE|
|PH||GE, GG, EC, IN, MA, MT, ST, XE||PI||ME, MT, XE|
|XE||AE, AG, PE, PI, CH, ME, MN, MT, TF, NM||XH||ST|
|XL||BM, BT, CY, EY|
GATE 2022 Application Process
The interested candidates can apply for GATE 2022 by following the below steps. Any wrong information entered in the form will result in the disqualification of the candidates. In case of multiple registration, only one of the submitted forms will be considered by the authorities.
Step 1: Registration
GATE 2022 Registration will be done through the GATE Online Application Processing System (GOAPS) portal. Candidates need to enter the following information in the boxes given there:
- Name of Applicant
- E-mail address
- Mobile Number
- Once the enrolment number is generated, and sent to the registered email address or mobile number, create a password to log in again to complete the GATE 2022 registration process.
Step 2: Filling All Details in Application Form
Candidates have to fill in all required details such as personal (Name, Father’s name, DOB, Passport Size Photos, Identity Card, Valid Signature, etc.), educational information (Name of the program, Result, etc.)
- After filling in these details, candidates need to select centres and papers.
- The next step is to make the payment for GATE 2022.
- The payment shall be made according to the prescribed conditions in different categories.
- Candidates can use Debit Card/ Net Banking/ Credit Card for the aforementioned purpose.
Step 3- Upload the Required Documents
The applicant needs to upload the following documents to get himself/ herself registered for GATE 2022.
- A valid Photo ID proof (Aadhaar, Pan Card, Passport, Voter ID, Driving license, etc.)
- Recent Passport Size Photograph
- Scanned copy of the signature
- Category Certificate (if applicable)
- Poof for Date of Birth (Class 10th Certificate)
- Class 12 Marksheet
- Class 10 Marksheet
- Qualifying Exam Certificate (Upload 3rd-semester result if you are in the final year of the relevant degree program)
- Scanned Copy of thumb impression.
Step 4:- GATE 2022 Application Fee
The applicants need to pay an application fee for GATE 2022 for the categories that they have applied for. The fee can be paid through net banking or online payment mode. The Fee per subject paper and category or event has been given below. Check the tabular for more details.
|Category/ Particulars||Application fee|
|Female Candidates (Regular Period)||Rs. 750/-|
|Female Candidates (Extended Period)||Rs. 1250/-|
|SC/ ST/ PwD Candidates (Regular Period)||Rs. 750/-|
|SC/ ST/ PwD Candidates (Ext.Period)||Rs. 1250/-|
|All other Candidates (Regular Period)||Rs. 1500/-|
|All other Candidates (Ext. Period)||Rs. 2000/-|
Step 4:- Accept Declaration and Submit the Application
Review the complete application form before submitting it. Keep a hard copy or download the application form for future reference.
- Submit only one application form.
- Multiple applications will not be accepted in any case.
GATE 2022 Application Fee for Modifications
The candidates who wish to make changes in the application need to pay one-time fee charges for this process.
|Descriptions of modifications||Fee charges|
|To change examination Centre||Rs. 500/-|
|Change of existing paper||Rs. 500/-|
|To add a second paper||Rs. 500/- (Categories amounts will be applicable)|
|Change of Gender to female||Rs. 500/-|
|Change of Gender form female to any other Gender||Rs. 1250/-|
|Change of Category to SC/ ST/ PwD||Rs. 500/-|
|Change of Category from SC/ ST to any other Category||Rs. 1250/-|
|Change from PwD to Non-PwD||Rs. 1250/-|
|Any other Changes||Rs. 500/-|
GATE 2022 Exam Pattern
No changes have been made in GATE 2022 exam pattern, accept for Architecture and Planning exam pattern which has been revised this year. There are two sections for this exam. One is General Aptitude and the second is questions from candidates’ selected subjects. There are 29 subjects that can be selected according to applicants’ choices and educational qualifications.
|Duration of the exam||3 hours|
|Sections||Two (GA + Subject selected by the Candidate)|
|Types of questions||Multiple Choice Questions Multiple Select Questions Numerical Answer Type Questions.|
|Total Number of questions||65 (GA-10, Subject- 55)|
|Total Marks||100 (GA-15, Subject- 85)|
|Marking Scheme||1 and 2 marks|
|Negative marking||For 1-Mark MCQ, 1/3 mark will be deducted for one wrong answer. For 2-Mark MCQ, 2/3 mark will be deducted for one wrong answer.|
GATE 2022 Syllabus
The syllabus consists of General Aptitude and the subjects selected by the candidate. Candidates can choose the subject for GATE 2022 as per their educational qualifications/ interests. The Subject-wise Syllabus for GATE 2022 can be downloaded with the help of the links given in the tabular.
|Papers||Complete Syllabus||Papers||Complete Syllabus|
|Aerospace Engineering||Download||Instrumental Engineering||Download|
|Architecture and Planning||Download||Mechanical Engineering||Download|
|Biomedical Engineering||Download||Mining Engineering||Download|
|Civil Engineering||Download||Naval and Marine Engineering||Download|
|Electronics and Communications||Download||Statistics||Download|
|Textile Engineering and Fibre Science||Download||Engineering Sciences||Download|
|Humanity and Social Sciences||Download||Life Sciences||Download|
|Geology and GeoPhysics||Download||Ecology and Evolution||Download|
|Environment Science & Engineering||Download||Geomatics Engineering||Download|
|Production and Industrial Sciences||Download||Petroleum Engineering||Download|
|Computer Science and Information Technology||Download||–||–|
GATE 2022 General Aptitude Syllabus
The syllabus for General Aptitude is the same for all the papers. Questions from Verbal Aptitude, Quantitative Aptitude, Analytical Aptitude, and Spatial Aptitude are asked in the section.
- Verbal Aptitude includes Basic English sub-topics such as Idioms, Phrases, tenses, reading and comprehension, verb noun agreements and other parts of speech, articles, Narrative Sequencing, Conjunctions, prepositions, adjectives.
- Quantitative Aptitude includes Basic Topics of Quants. For example, Data Interpretation, Data Graphs (Pie charts, Bar Charts), 2 and 3- dimensional plots, Maps, Tables, Numerical Computation and estimation, ratios, percentage powers, exponents and logarithms, permutations and combinations, series, Mensuration, and Geometry, Elementary Statistics, Probability, etc.
- Analytical Aptitude: In this section, students need to cover topics such as logic: deduction and induction, analogy, numerical relations, and reasoning.
- Spatial Aptitude: In this section, students need to go through the topics like the transformation of shapes, translation, rotating, scaling, grouping, assembling, mirroring, paper folding, cutting, patterns of 2 and 3-dimensions.
GATE 2022 Preparation Tips
GATE is one of the highly competitive post-graduate entrance examinations. Around 9 lakh students take this exam. So, it’s not a bad idea to join a coaching centre to boost up your preparation.
- For subjective things, candidates can join Made Easy, Ace Academic, Kreatryx, GATE Academy, IES Master, and so on.
- For GD/PD, a candidate can join this institute as it will help him/her during the PSUs selection process.
- There are many online sources for GATE 2022 preparation. But candidates should not waste time in search of 100 teachers. It will be better if they study with the help of one or two best teachers.
- Students can enhance their preparation by using Apps by Gradeup, GATE EduRev, GATE Academy.
- Solution Papers: It will help you understand your mistakes, and the pattern of the questions asked in this exam.
GATE 2022 Preparation Books
|Paper Name||Recommended Books|
|GATE BM||Biomedical Instrumentation by R.S Khandpur, Fundamentals of Biomedical Engineering by G.S Sawhney|
|GATE CS||Algorithms by Cormen, Theory of Computation by Ullman, Operating System by Galvin|
|GATE CE||Civil Engineering Gate 2020 30 Years Solution by IES Master, Basic Structural Analysis by C.S.Reddy, Engineering Hydrology by K Subramanya|
|GATE CH||Heat Transfer byBinay. K.Dutta, Mass Transport Phenomena by Christie J. Geankoplis, Chemical Technology by Gopala Rao M|
|GATE EC||Electronic Devices Circuits by Millman and Halkias, Microprocessors by B Ram, Digital Logic and Computer Design|
|GATE EE||Signals & Systems by Oppenheim Wisky, Network Analysis by Val Valken Burg, Power Electronics by UA Bakshi|
|GATE ME||Theory of Machines by RS Khurmi, Strength of Materials by SS Rattan, Engineering Mechanics by SS Bhavikatti|
GATE 2022 Exam Centres
Candidates can select three cities from the list of examination centers. All three choices must be from the same zone. The changes can be made in the examination centers by the Board. The exam cities for National and International Students are following:
|Zones||Number of GATE Exam Cities|
|IISc Banglore||30 cities|
|IIT Bombay||30 cities|
|IIT Delhi||19 cities|
|IIT Guwahati||21 cities|
|IIT Kanpur||14 cities|
|IIT Kharagpur||26 cities|
|IIT Madras||40 cities|
|IIT Roorkee||22 cities|
GATE 2022 Admit Card
GATE Admit Card 2022 will be released on 3 January 2022. Only successfully registered candidates will able to download the admit card. 25-30 days prior to the GATE 2022 exam date. To download the admit card follow the steps below:-
- Visit the official website of GATE 2022.
- Go to the Link to Admit Card.
- Enter the registration number, date of birth, and click on submit.
- Verify the details mentioned on the admit card and download the same for further use.
GATE 2022 Result
The Result will be announced on March 17, 2021. Candidates will be able to check their results on the official website of GATE 2022. The scorecards will be released for Qualified candidates. Scorecard will remain valid for three years. So, keep it safe. To check GATE 2022 results, students can follow these steps.
- Visit the official website.
- Click on the GATE 2022 Result.
- Submit details.
- Candidates dashboard containing the result would open.
- Click on the relevant section & the Result will be displayed on the screen.
GATE 2022 Cutoff
IIT Kharagpur will release the GATE 2022 cut off after the declaration of result. Candidates can refer to the GATE 2021 cut off to know the minimum score required for admission.
|Paper Code||For General||For OBC- (NCL)/ EWS||For SC/ ST/ PwD|
*Normalized marks for multisession papers CS, CE, and ME
GATE 2022 Counselling
GATE 2022 counselling process will not be conducted for M.Tech Admission. Top institutes like IITs, NITs and other private institutions have to participate in the counselling process conducted by the separate bodies.
- For admission into IITs, candidates have to register for GATE COAP Counselling.
- For admission into NITs, candidates must register for GATE CCMT Counselling.
PSU Recruitment through GATE 2022
PSUs (Public Sector Undertaking) are the Union or State government-owned enterprises. These companies recruit GATE Qualified candidates every year. The candidates who have achieved a great score are called for Interviews and Group discussions to finalize their selection.
GATE 2022 FAQs
Last updated on September 4th, 2021
Ans. A candidate belonging to the general category with a score of 78/79 (Mechanical)/ 70 (Electrical)/ Electronics (68.68) will get his name in the shortlisted candidates. For NTPC 76 (Mechanical) and 65 (IT) percentile would be enough.
Last updated on September 4th, 2021
Ans. Yes, you can. The condition is that you have to clear those backlogs before admission. Provided that you attach a copy of your mark sheet with your application or a letter from the College Principal or Dean for incomplete certificates due to backlogs.
Last updated on September 4th, 2021
Ans. The application will be rejected.
Last updated on September 4th, 2021
Ans. No, the questions don’t repeat, but the pattern repeats.
Last updated on September 4th, 2021
Ans. There are twenty-nine subjects in this examination. You can choose only two subjects, and not more than two.