Last updated on April 20th, 2021 at 11:47 am
The Central University of Punjab – [CUP], Bhatinda, was established in 2009 and has been accredited with ‘A’ grade from NAAC.
CUP Bhatinda has 31 departments ranging from life sciences, Legal Studies, Management Studies, Technology, Health Sciences, and so on. The university offers mainly research-oriented masters and doctoral degree programs such as PhD, M.Sc., LL.M., M.Pharm., M.Tech., M.Ed., and MBA. The Admissions are offered based on merit and national level entrance exams such as GATE, GPAT, CUCET, etc.
CUP Bhatinda ranked 87th among all universities across the country by NIRF in 2020: It has been ranked as the number one amongst all newly established central universities in India since 2012 as per university rankings of Researchgate.
During the academic year 2017-18, out of 453 post-graduate students, 153 got the placement. The average median salary offered during placement has been around INR 3,50,000 per annum. The university offers summer internships and provides a reasonable stipend for scholars.
The university’s vision is to uplift and upgrade teaching, learning, and research standards to global levels of excellence. The campus is spread over 37 acres and provides high-end facilities to its faculty and students: including healthcare, sports, hostel, mess, central library, state of the art laboratories, etc.
Central University of Punjab: Highlights
Below is a quick overview of CUP Bhatinda.
|Established | Institute type||2009 | Central|
|Accreditation||NAAC (Grade “A”)|
|Approved by||University Grants Commission of India (UGC), AICTE|
|Set by||Government of India, MHRD|
|Entrance Exams||Merit and Entrance exams like GATE, GPAT, JRF NET, CUCET, CAT|
|Programs Offered||PG(M. Tech., MSc, MSc, MA), Ph.D|
|Popular Courses||MBA in Agri-Business, M. Tech Cyber Security , MA in Political Science.|
|Application Mode||Online and Offline|
|Application Criteria||Merit and Entrance Exam Scores|
|Campus Area||37 Acres|
|Facilities Available||Hostel and Mess, Health Center, Central Library, Auditorium, Banking, Transportation, Research Labs, WiFi etc.|
|Yearly Intake||Around 983|
Central University of Punjab: Ranking
- The Central University of Punjab, Bhatinda, is the youngest university to have secured its position in the top 100 institutions (95th Rank) in the University category & 1st amongst New Central Universities in the NIRF Ranking 2019.
- CUP Bhatinda ranked 87th out of 200 universities by the National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF) in 2020.
- Ranked number one amongst all newly established central universities in India consistently since 2012 by ResearchGate university ranking.
- The University was accredited with NAAC ‘A’ Grade within seven years of establishment,
- Researchers from this University had contributed to a number of peer-reviewed scientific research. Like:
- The discovery of new species of marine alga Ulva paschima and Cladophora goensis.
- The First report of endophytic algae from the Indian Ocean.
- The discovery of the geographical origin of Holy Basil as North-Central India.
Central University of Punjab: Courses Offered
Below are few popular courses offered by CUP Bhatinda (Except Ph.D. those are mentioned in next section)
|MBA||Agri-Business||Bachelor’s Degree in Agriculture Sciences or in related disciplines, with at least 55% marks or equivalent CGPA||2 years|
|M.Sc||Food Science and Technology, Biochemistry, Botany, Plant Sciences, Chemistry, Applied Chemistry, and more||Graduation in relevant stream with 50% marks and Entrance Test.||2 years|
|M.A||Geography, Political Science, English, M.A. Hindi Language and Literature, Punjabi,Economics, History,Sociology, Journalism and Mass Communication||Graduation with 50% + Entrance Test||2 years|
|M.Pharm||Medicinal Chemistry, Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry, Pharmacology||B. Pharm.||2 years|
|M.P.Ed||Physical Education||Graduation in relevant stream||2 years|
|M Tech||Computer Science & Technology, Computer Science & Technology(Cyber Security)||Graduation in relevant stream||2 years|
Central University of Punjab: Admissions
Admissions at the Central University of Punjab, Bhatinda, are either based on merit or entrance exams. The Institute accepts national-level entrance tests like GATE, GPAT, NET-JRF professional programs and also offers admission based on Central Universities Common Entrance Test (CUCET to offer admissions. Few Courses are offered based on merit only on a first-come and first-serve basis. The university also conducts personal interview rounds before offering final admission to the candidate.
- CUP Bhatinda offers a total of 30 specializations for 3-year Ph.D. programs. Admissions are given on the basis of merit in the qualifying entrance exam. The cut-off mark to qualify CUCET 2021 is 55% (5% relaxation for SC/ST category). Students with scores in UGC NET are exempted from appearing for CUCET. All selected students have to appear for a mandatory personal Interview before final admissions.
- The admission process for MTech requires a valid score in the GATE entrance exam.
- The admission for M.Sc. courses are made on the basis of merit in the Common Entrance Test conducted by the university.
How to Apply?
Students who wish to apply for admissions in CUP Bhatinda may follow the below steps:
- The candidates can submit the application forms in both online as well as offline mode; through University’s official website or by visiting the premises before the communicated deadline.
- Candidates should check all eligibility rules carefully before applying for the course of their choice.
- Candidates must fill in all the necessary details like personal details, qualifying exam details accurately.
- Candidates should make sure they have the following documents ready:
- Date of Birth Certificate
- Marksheet of the qualifying exams
- Transfer Certificate
- Category Certificate (For reserved candidates)
- Passport Size Photographs
- Aadhar Card/Valid Govt. ID proof.
- National level entrance exam mark sheet (JEE/NET/GATE)
- Once forms are submitted, the institute will prepare the merit list, and it will be published on the official website. Merit list is prepared based on qualifying exam scores, entrance exam scores,
- The University conducts screening interviews and Counselling rounds for selected students and offers final admission.
- Selected candidates will be required to submit the fees via online payment or by visiting the college premises in person.
CUCET 2020 Cut-Off (General)
|Course||Round 1||Round 2|
|M.Sc. Computational Chemistry||28||27.75|
|M.Sc. Computational Physics||45.25||44.25|
|M.Sc. Human Genetics||56.5||55.5|
|M.Sc. Environment Science and Technology||45.5||40.75|
|M.Sc.Food Science and Technology||48.75||45.75|
|M.Sc. in Botany||61.5||61|
|M.Sc. in Microbiology||66.75||66.25|
|M.Sc. in Chemical Sciences (Medicinal Chemistry)||32.5||29|
|M.Sc. in Molecular Medicine||60||55.25|
|M.Sc. in Chemistry (Applied Chemistry)||38.75||37|
|Master of Education (M.Ed.)||43.5||19.5|
Central University of Punjab: Placements
The central university of Punjab provides placement support to students. The Average placement for courses such as M. Pharm and MTech has been around 90% in recent years.
- In 2017- 2018, Out of 458 PG students, 153 received campus placement, and 70 were selected for higher studies.
- The Median Salary for Post Graduates is around INR 3,50,000 per annum.
Central University of Punjab: Scholarships
Scholarships in accordance with government policy are provided to eligible students. Fellowship stipend of INR 12,000 – INR 14,000 per month depending on the year of fellowship. Additionally, working contingency up to INR 25,000 per annum is offered as per the UGC guidelines.
Central University of Punjab: Facilities
CUP Bhatinda offers the following facilities to cater to its students, faculty, and non-teaching staff:
- Laboratories – The sophisticated instrument laboratory has an advanced light microscope with a digital imaging system, the latest next-generation FSX 100 microscopes for fluorescence microscopy, Gradient Thermal cycler, Real-Time PCR, Electrophoresis units, etc.
- Research Laboratories – Well-equipped tissue culture laboratories for the cell-lines culturing and a Molecular Genetics laboratory having 96 capillary 3730XL high throughput DNA sequences, RT PCR, Gradient PCR, UV-Visual Spectrophotometer, automated karyotyping system, Electrophoresis units,
- Central Library – The central library has over 44,251 titles and subscribes to 45 international and national print journals; the library subscribes to a large number of electronic journals through thee-ShodhSindhu Consortium and independently, apart from subscribing to 7479 full-text online journals through the e-ShodhSindhu Consortium and independently.
- Computer Center – A fully air-conditioned Computer Centre is equipped with over 150 desktop computers with the latest software. High-speed internet connectivity is provided through a 1 Gbps leased line and another 20 Mbps leased line.
- Health Care Centre – A Health Centre has been established to facilitate the treatment of general illness, first aid, and referral services to the employees and students. A Medical Officer remains appointed at the Health Centre. In-house availability of Ambulance for referrals by Medical Officer in case of dire emergency on Campus on the nominal payment no profit no loss policy.
- Student Hostel – Boys’ and Girls’ hostel facilities are available on the Campus. All hostel rooms are furnished with solar water heaters. High-speed WIFI hotspots are going to be installed throughout the Campus in a short period.
- Auditorium – The university has a modern auditorium for academic and cultural activities.
- Other Facilities – The university also provides other facilities such as Transportation, Sports Complex, Fitness Center, Day Care Center, Museum, Seminar Room, Reading Room, etc.
Central University of Punjab: Faculty
CUP Bhatinda boasts of qualified and experienced faculty. Each department is led by the Head of Department/In-Charge, well supported by team professors and assistant professors. The institute provides excellent infrastructure for the faculty. There are 31 departments spread over 12 schools ranging from life sciences, Legal Studies, Management Studies, Technology, and so on. Below is a quick break-up of the faculty count:
- Professors – 20
- Associate Professors -117
- Sports Coach – 2 (Part-Time)
Central University of Punjab: FAQs
Last updated on April 20th, 2021 at 11:43 am
Ans. The Central University of Punjab, Bhatinda, offers PG and research-level programs in various fields such as Life Sciences, Languages, Commerce, Arts, Law, Physical Education, Cybersecurity to name a few. There are nearly 30 specializations offered under the PhD program.
Last updated on April 20th, 2021 at 11:44 am
Ans. To get admission to PG courses, candidates must be a graduate in the relevant field with at least 55% aggregate from a recognized university. Up to 5% relaxations apply for reserved categories.
Last updated on April 20th, 2021 at 11:44 am
Ans. CUP Bhatinda has a good campus and provides all basic Infrastructure such as labs for different departments, research laboratory, fully air-conditioned central library, strong WIFI connectivity, Sports center, Medical, and banking facilities. The University is very spacious. Food available in the canteen is also highly hygienic. The campus is spread over in a large area around 37 acres comprising buildings of high-standard, classrooms with proper ventilation, auditorium, etc.
Last updated on April 20th, 2021 at 11:45 am
Ans. As per the most recent data, the University’s yearly intake is around 900-1000 students. CUPB is a central university; there is no limitation for any student. Anyone who is eligible as per University’s rules and regulations can seek admission.
Last updated on April 20th, 2021 at 11:45 am
Ans. No, the minimum duration for the Ph.D. program is three years. M Phil can be completed in two years; however, for a doctorate, usually 3-6 years are required.