Last updated on May 26th, 2021 by Rituraj Dixit
While looking for career options most of the students are not prepared about where to look and what options to opt for after JEE Main. Very few actually prepare with the right amount of dedication towards qualifying JEE Advanced. This ultimately implies that IITs is a distant dream for many aspirants, as a career option after JEE Main.
- JEE Main April and May session postponed by NTA. New exam dates to be announced later. Read More
- CBSE Boards for 12th postponed until June 2021. A new schedule will be announced after COVID-19 situation is under control. Read More
- NTA is conducting JEE Main 2021 in 4 sessions – February, March, April and May. Check Exam Dates
To get admission into their dream engineering college, the students have to first clear both the assessment papers that are JEE Main and JEE Advanced. But what if the candidates don’t appear for JEE Advanced? Or what if they don’t get admission to the dream engineering college?
- The question is, what career options can the candidate choose if he/she cannot get a good score in JEE Main?
- To make your work a bit easy and less stressful, we are here to give you a clear approach to Career Options After JEE Main.
- Through this article, we have tried to highlight all the essential opportunities which will benefit both the qualified and those who tried their best but could not qualify JEE Main.
You Might Like-
- JEE Advanced 2021: Expected Cut Off 2021
- JEE Main 2021: Expected Cut Off
- JEE Main 2021 Important Topics, Weightage, Analysis
JEE Main and JEE Advanced: Career Options and Scope
It is seen that a lot of young students aspire to study engineering, and the number could be approximately around a million. Then these students aspire to get placed in the best engineering colleges that are obviously IITs.
- Given below is a snapshot of how hard it is to get into an IIT for Common Rank List students or General category. The cut off score given below is taken from 2020 and can be treated as the expected cut off for 2021.
- You have to be in the top 10% of the 2.5 lac students who attempt JEE Advanced.
|Category||Expected JEE Advanced 2021 Cut Off (Percentile Score)|
|Common Rank List||90.3765335|
|OBC – NCL||72.8887969|
- Through the data and the matrix, it is seen that this time, there are 11,000 seats for Engineering & Architectural Courses in IITs.
- And, the other colleges like NITs, IIITs and GFTIs have 25,000 seats available.
- So, it is clear from the above matrix that there are thirty-five thousand seats available in India, and only these many students will get admission from the million aspiring candidates.
- So, the students left after the selection of these thirty-five thousand should enrol themselves in some other courses of other colleges.
JEE Advanced: Bit Closer to Success
- Once the candidates clear the first level, JEE Main, they have to appear for the next round, JEE Advanced 2021.
- The entrance examination takes place in two phases, that is JEE Advanced Paper 1 and Paper 2.
- Both these papers are equally crucial for engineering and architecture aspirants.
- After clearing these two papers, the candidates will obtain the marks of these two papers.
- From these scores, the candidates will be qualified to appear for counselling in IITs.
- If you are ambitious about doing an engineering program from IITs, then you should not miss this chance after JEE Main 2021.
Now let us discuss the aspect of a qualified JEE Main aspirant, but not eligible for JEE Advanced.
- JEE Main Admit Card 2021: Release Date, Steps To Download
- JEE Main Counselling 2021: Types, Process, Cut Off Ranks
Latest JEE Main News
- “Classes for Engineering Courses to Start from 15 September”, Says AICTE Amid COVID-19 Surge
- JEE Main 2021 May Session Postponed, Education Minister Confirms; Check Details
- JEE Main April 2021 Postponed Amid Spike In COVID-19 Cases, New Dates 15 Days Prior To Exam
- AICTE Says PCM Not Mandatory For Engineering: Boon or Bane?
- Dr Ramesh Pokhriyal Announces JEE Advanced 2021 For 3rd July, 75% Criteria Removed
NITs: The Next Best Career Option After JEE Main
- The engineering aspirants dream of getting into the best engineering colleges that are Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs) but IITs select only the top eleven thousand students, so the candidates ranking below this probably need to look for alternative options.
- If they can’t find a good career option, they start to worry and get into depression.
- But instead of doing that, they should make full utilization of their JEE Main 2021 Rankings.
After IITs, NITs are the best career options after JEE Main. What else could be better than gettin into this college? Taking into consideration the calibre and potential of both the IIT and NIT students, all end up with a great career ahead in their lives, and none of them lacks behind. There’s always some difference, but it all depends on the kind of dedication you are willing to give towards your education.
- NITs approximately have around 20,000 seats for engineering students through JEE Main 2021.
- If you do not want to take a gap year, then do consider the National Institutes of Technology.
- Experts usually suggest students take a Masters Degree from NITs as it helps in gaining industry experience and knowledge.
Given below is a list of NITs accepting JEE Main score according to NIRF Rankings:
|Rank||Name||State||NIRF Score||NIRF 2020 Ranking|
|1||NIT Trichy||Tamil Nadu||64.10||09|
|10||NIT Durgapur||West Bengal||48.39||47|
|11||MNNIT Allahabad||Uttar Pradesh||48.24||48|
|12||Dr B.R. Ambedkar NIT||Punjab||46.45||52|
|15||MANIT Bhopal||Madhya Pradesh||42.17||65|
|21||NIT Hamirpur||Himachal Pradesh||37.73||98|
|24||NIT Arunachal Pradesh||Arunachal Pradesh||31.09||200|
|25||NIT Srinagar||Jammu and Kashmir||–||Not Ranked|
|26||NIT Delhi||Delhi||–||Not Ranked|
|27||NIT Mizoram||Mizoram||–||Not Ranked|
|28||NIT Nagaland||Nagaland||–||Not Ranked|
|29||NIT Sikkim||Sikkim||–||Not Ranked|
|30||NIT Uttarakhand||Uttarakhand||–||Not Ranked|
|31||NIT Andhra Pradesh||Andhra Pradesh||–||Not Ranked|
Know More About
- JEE Main Cut Off for Top NITs
- Top Engineering Colleges in India: Rankings, Fees, Average CTC
- JEE Main 2021 Exam Pattern: Check Weightage, Previous Pattern
IIITs and Government Funded Colleges
Do not panic, and lose hope if you don’t make it into NITs. There is still a lot of chance for you. You can try to get admission in various IIITs and Government Colleges accepting JEE Main score (GFTIs) through JoSAA Counselling 2021.
- Previous year the students for these colleges had three thousand seats in IITs and four thousand seats in Government-Funded Colleges (GFTIs).
- So, the students should try their luck in these colleges as well.
- Grab this golden opportunity, and do not let it slip from your hand.
Given below is the list of all IIITs accepting JEE Main score:
|Name of IIITs||NIRF Ranking 2020||B.Tech Seats available||Total B.Tech Programs|
|IIIT Hyderabad (non-JoSAA)||43||130||2|
|PDPM IIITDM, Jabalpur||81||300||3|
|ABV IIITM Gwalior||100||248||3|
|IIIT Pune||Not ranked||120||2|
|IIIT Kota||Not ranked||180||2|
|IIIT Sri City||Not ranked||270||2|
|IIIT Vadodara||Not ranked||200||2|
|IIIT Nagpur||Not ranked||110||2|
|IIIT Kalyani||Not ranked||130||1|
|IIIT Lucknow||Not ranked||75||1|
|IIIT Dharwad||Not ranked||180||2|
|IIIT Bhagalpur||Not ranked||150||3|
|IIIT Bhopal||Not ranked||180||3|
|IIIT Kottayam||Not ranked||90||1|
|IIIT Ranchi||Not ranked||120||2|
|IIIT Una||Not ranked||160||3|
|IIIT Surat||Not ranked||120||2|
|IIIT Manipur||Not ranked||100||2|
|IIITDM Kurnool||Not ranked||120||3|
|IIIT Tiruchirapalli||Not ranked||60||2|
|IIIT Sonepat||Not ranked||90||2|
Continue Reading About-
- IIITs of India: Rankings, B.Tech Placements, Fees, Courses
- JEE Main Mathematics Preparation Tips
- Best Books for JEE Main B.Arch
Private Engineering Colleges: Last Hope?
- If not IITs or government colleges, then you have a choice of enrolling in private colleges.
- There are a lot of private colleges in India with excellent facilities and course structure.
- These colleges are best suited to students in case of low rank and have the best facilities similar to IITs, NITs, and GFTIs.
Few private engineering colleges in India are:-
- Thapar University
- Amity University
- Birla Institute of Technology
- Shiv Nadar University
- Lovely Professional University
- JEE Main 2021 Answer Key: Official Answer Keys (With Solutions)
- Is Your JEE Main Score Low? Check These Alternatives
Other Engineering Entrance Exams
Even if you do not want to choose any of the above private engineering colleges, there are other options left. Although JEE Main is the best engineering entrance examination in the country, there are other entrance examinations. Below we have mentioned the list of some of the best examination so do check them out:-
- UPSEE 2021 and the eligibility criteria for this entrance examination is that the candidates should have PCM in class 12 with 5% for GEN & 40% for (OBC/SC/ST)
- KEAM 2021 and the eligibility criteria for this entrance examination is that the candidates should have PCM in class 12 with 5% for GEN & 40% for (OBC/SC/ST)
- VITEEE and the eligibility criteria for this entrance examination is that the candidates should have PCM in class 12 with 60% for GEN & 50% for (OBC/SC/ST)
- BITSAT and the eligibility criteria for this entrance examination are that the candidates should have PCM in class 12 with 75% marks.
- WBJEE and the eligibility criteria for this entrance examination are that the candidates must have a West Bengal Domicile.
- MHT-CET and the eligibility criteria for this entrance examination is that the candidates should have PCM in class 12 with 50% for GEN & 45% for (OBC/SC/ST)
- KCET and the eligibility criteria for this entrance examination are that the candidates should have PCM in class 12 with 45% & 40% for (OBC/SC/ST). And, they must have a Karnataka Domicile or 7 Years of Studies in Karnataka.
- AP EAMCET and the eligibility criteria for this entrance examination is that the candidates should have PCM in class 12 with 45% & 40% for (OBC/SC/ST). And, they must have an Andhra Pradesh Domicile.
- VTU-EEE and the eligibility criteria for this entrance examination is that the candidates should pass in 10+2 or its equivalent.
- EAMCET and the eligibility criteria for this entrance examination are that the candidates must have an Andhra Pradesh Domicile.
Reappear Next Year With Better Preparation
According to the JEE Main Eligibility Criteria, the candidates can appear for the examination twice in a year.
- So, the candidates who have appeared once have a chance of appearing for JEE Main once more.
- The dual session of JEE Main has started recently, only after the authorities thought that students must have another chance.
- Students must go for the second attempt after improving their weak areas.
- As it is said, failures are your most important lesson, so once the candidates appear for the examination, they know exactly where they are going wrong.
- So, after knowing their weak points, they can work on it better.
- The candidates do not even need coaching for the second time.
- Therefore, the candidates should see this as a golden opportunity and should try for the second chance time with full preparation.
- You will surely shine out with flying colours.
Some Career Options Other Than Engineering Through PCM
- If you don’t get success in any of the colleges as mentioned earlier and courses then you can try some other courses except for engineering.
- PCM students after class 12 also have a lot of scope in this area.
- They can either go for architecture, aviation, merchant navy, national defence, ethical hacking, forensic science, arts, humanities, computer application and IT, Physical sciences, research, and teaching, chartered accountant and company secretary courses.
- You can also try for government jobs and other career options like:-
- Indian Armed Forces
- Mini Ratnas and Navratnas like BHEL, GAIL, BCCL, IOCL
- Banking and Finance Sectors
- Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL)
- Indian Railways and Metros
- Income Tax Department
- Govt. Institutes & Universities
Take Up Courses in Emerging Fields
There are many fields that are gaining popularity but there is a lack of professionals in these fields. The wide gap in demand supply can lead you to get some handsome packages and reputation. Some of these fields are described below:
- B.Sc in Business Analytics:
This is a branch of applied mathematics aimed at improving decision making processes in business. This can be a great alternative for you if you are interested in computing or mathematics. B.Sc in Business Analytics is offered by the G.D. Goenka World Institute in collaboration with Lancaster University, U.K.
- B.Sc in Nanotechnology:
Graduates in Nanotechnology can get employment opportunities in the IT sector or core sectors related to pharmacy, medicine or biology. This course is offered by Amity university, Noida and the University of Madras. Students who have passed class XII with Physics and Chemistry as the main subjects and Mathematics or Biology as the third subject are eligible to pursue this course.
Read More On Career Options Other Than Engineering
So, never lose hope. There is always another option in life. So, there is never a harm in trying your luck a second time or shifting your interest to some other field. Have the right determination and you will just achieve success. All the good wishes and luck for your future.