Last updated on August 25th, 2020 at 06:07 pm
JEE Main B.Arch Exam Pattern: Joint Entrance Examination (JEE) is a national level entrance examination for engineering. Students who qualify this prestigious paper get a chance to study in A grade colleges like IIT, NIT, IIIT, and government colleges all over India. There are two exams in JEE – JEE Main and JEE Advanced.
As NTA released the exam schedule for the 2020 April/September session, JEE Main B.Arch/Paper 2 will be conducted on September 1. In this article, we will discuss the various aspects of JEE Main B.Arch Exam Pattern. With the help of this exam, aspirants can get into top-tier architecture colleges of the nation.
However, currently, not just India, but the whole of the world is being held on hold by the COVID-19 pandemic. Everything in the outside world is shut, not to forget the schools and colleges, as they are one of the places with potential crowding. Since there is no further postponing of the JEE Main examination, students have to work hard on the JEE Main Syllabus provided. One has to be prepared for anything that is thrown towards them by this unusual pandemic situation.
Highlights of JEE Main B.Arch Exam Pattern 2020
- Half of the B.Arch exam will be conducted as a computer-based exam while the other half of JEE Main Paper 2 would be the traditional pen-paper mode.
- The exam will have papers in all types of important languages, including the usual English and Hindi. For the students in Gujarat, Dadra and Nagar Haveli as well as Daman & Diu, the medium of exam will also have the Gujarati language included.
- The marking scheme is pretty straightforward, with four marks allotted to all the questions in Mathematics, Planning and Aptitude being equal to all the sections. The only difference is the drawing section, where skills are looked for more than anything else.
- JEE Main paper 2 also has negative marking, where any incorrect answer will have one mark deducted from your count, in MCQs.
- On the other hand, the NAT questions will not have any negative markings, in case the students have left the question unattempted or given an incorrect answer.
JEE Main B.Arch Exam Pattern 2020: Summary
|Particulars||Mathematics and Aptitude Section||Drawing Section|
|Exam Duration||3 hours|
|Total Questions in JEE Main B.Arch Exam||Maths – 20 MCQ questions and 5 Numerical questions
Aptitude – 50 MCQs
|2 questions only|
|Type of Questions||MCQs and Numerical Value||Subjective (Drawing skills)|
|Marking Scheme||For MCQs – 4 Marks for correct answer, -1 mark for every incorrect answer
For answer with numeric value – 4 Marks for every correct answer, no negative marking
|50 Marks for each question. Marking will be subjective.|
|Medium of Paper||English, Hindi and Gujarati|
Various JEE Main 2020 Papers
JEE Main was first divided into two papers – B.E/B. Tech and B.Arch. Now, the paper B.Arch got divided even further, in B.Planning and B.Arch. Hence, candidates opt both separately to secure admission in either Bachelor of Planning or Bachelor of Architecture courses. Both of the papers will consist of the same two sections, i.e. Mathematics and Aptitude. While the last section is further divided into Planning Questions and Drawing Questions in B.Planning and B.Arch respectively. In all the 3 papers of JEE Main are important depending on the course a candidate is willing to pursue. However, a lot of students still prefer the NATA exam over JEE Main B.Arch and B.Planning exams. Let us delve deeper into some questions about the JEE Main B.Arch Exam.
Why should you take the JEE Main B.Arch Exam?
JEE Main mostly looks over the two papers – B.E/B. Tech and B.Arch. The latest one – B.Planning – was introduced to the scene recently. Meaning that there are three papers that NTA conducts and will be conducting this year as well. However, we will be – this time – focusing on B.Arch and what exactly does it entail?
JEE Main B.Arch is for those students who wish to crack the exam and get into top-most architecture colleges. The popularity of architecture as a learning stream as well as a profession has been increasing day by day, even after the point that architecture is one of the hardest streams that are out there. Now, imagine being part of an IIT and learning architecture from world-class faculties. This would be possible with the help of JEE Main B.Arch 2020 and the JEE Advanced Architecture Aptitude Test. Let us now discuss our main head i.e. JEE Main New B. Arch Exam Pattern.
Detailed JEE Main B.Arch Exam Pattern 2020
We have discussed the marking scheme, syllabus and the various types of questions that are included in the JEE Main B.Arch Exam Pattern. Do read these carefully as it helps in understanding the strategy that one must devise to improvise on scores.
Distribution of Marks in JEE Main B.Arch 2020
The total questions that will be asked in JEE Main 2020 B.Arch Paper will be 77. The exam will be of total 400 marks. The sections marking scheme has been described in detail down below –
|Section||Questions||Marking Scheme||Total Marks|
|Part I – Mathematics||20 MCQs + 5 NAT||MCQs –Correct: 4 marks
Incorrect: – 1 mark
Correct: 4 marks
Incorrect: 0 marks
|Part II – Aptitude||50 MCQs||Correct: 4 marks
Incorrect: -1 mark
Unanswered: 0 marks
|Part III – Drawing Test||2 drawing questions||Correct: 50 marks||100|
in JEE Main Paper 2 will be conducted in two shifts, all lasting for three hours. First shift will last from 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM, whereas the second shift will be from 3:00 PM to 6:00 PM.
The mode of JEE Main Paper 2 will be a computer-based test only. However, the drawing test – i.e. the third section – will be on pen-paper. The questions that will be the most used will be multiple choice questions and numerical answer type (NAT).
Check JEE Main Paper Analysis
JEE Main B.Arch 2020 Syllabus
Sets, relations and functions; integral calculus; sequences and series; mathematical reasoning; permutations and combinations; limit, continuity and differentiability; differential equations; complex numbers and quadratic equations; coordinate geometry; vector algebra; statistics and probability; binomial theorem and its simple applications.
Awareness of persons, buildings, objects and persons; texture related to architecture and build-environment; visualizing three-dimensional objects from two-dimensional drawings; analytical reasoning mental ability (visual, verbal as well as numerical); visualizing different sides of the three-dimensional objects.
Drawing and Designing of geometrical or abstract shapes and patterns in pencil; transformation of forms (both two-dimensional and three-dimensional union); elevation and three-dimensional views of objects rotation; development of surfaces and volumes; generation of a plan; sketching of activities from memory of urban scenes; creating two dimensional and three-dimensional compositions using given shapes and forms.
Check JEE Main Syllabus
JEE Main B.Arch Exam Pattern: Types of Questions
Multiple Choice Questions:
- All of the twenty questions in JEE Main Paper 2 will carry four marks each, meaning the MCQs will carry 80 marks in total.
- If answered correctly, the student will get four marks. On the other hand, if the answer or attempt is wrong, the student will be penalized by cutting one mark.
- In case if the question is not answered, it will, fortunately, not be marked negatively.
Numerical Answer Type (NAT):
- All of the five questions, just like the MCQs questions, will be carrying four marks.
- No question of this section will be marked negatively.
Check JEE Main Study Material
Analysis of Various Sections of JEE Main B.Arch Exam
JEE Main B.Arch Mathematics Section
JEE Main 2020 B.Arch will contain a total of 25 questions. Out of them, 20 will be multiple choice questions, while the remaining five will be numerical value questions, also called Numerical Answer Type (NAT). This section is worth 100 marks, overall.
JEE Main B.Arch paper includes Mathematics as the first section. The students are intimated the most by this section, right after the drawing question. This section is later divided into two parts, the one being MCQs and the other being NAT. However, this one is easier to crack, as the syllabus is the same as what you learned in the previous years, with more importance given to the class 11th syllabus, at least in this section. Many of the questions that are asked hail from the topics of distance or 3D coordinate geometry, as well as integration and derivation, among others, with the questions based on the first two topics being more as compared to the last two.
Latest News Updates
- JEE Advanced 2020 Concluded: Check Paper Analysis, Question Papers
- IIT Delhi To Begin New B. Tech Course In Engineering And Computational Mechanics
- JoSAA 2020 Goes Live, Counselling Schedule Released; Check Here
- Check JEE Main Participating Colleges
- NTA JEE Main 2020 Results Announced at jeemain.nta.nic.in, View Scorecard Here
JEE Main B.Arch Aptitude Section
This part of the JEE Main 2020 B.Arch exam will be based on the Aptitude portion. It will have 50 questions in all; all of this section will carry 200 marks, at a maximum.
Aptitude section in JEE Main Paper 2 is known to measure the students’ aptitude, as the name suggests. It is mostly easier and certainly even more so than the other sections, as the students claim.
The section has around 50 multiple choice questions that the student has to answer using his or her common sense, education and aptitude. Most of the questions revolve around mirror images, 3D structures or other similar figures, along with the locations of some places around the world, textures of things and a lot more.
Aptitude section in JEE Main Paper 2 has negative marking, so the students are warned to proceed with a lot more thinking and caution.
JEE Main B.Arch Drawing Section
This part is the last part of the paper and will contain drawing questions. The section only has two questions, but those carry 100 marks in total and should be given more time and concentration.
This section will be measuring the students’ skills in drawing and whether they can handle the pressure all the architecture year gives to the students. Most of the architecture studies rely on drawing and if the student’s drawing skills are not that up to the mark, then he or she won’t be able to crack the exam.
The section carries 100 marks for two questions, which you will be solving from three total questions. The drawing section is, therefore, conducted offline. The questions are mostly based on simple and basic topics of faces, gymnasts, cylinders and even school playgrounds, to name a few.
Most of the students appearing for JEE Main 2020 B.Arch examination claim that this section stumps them the most.
JEE Main B.Arch Exam Day Guidelines
A variety of unforeseen and unwelcome things can happen on your examination day and trust me when I say this, you can’t afford going wrong in your JEE Main 2020 B.Arch examination.
- The entry gates of the exam centres will be opened around two and a half hours before the start of the exam.
- Students appearing for the exam should wisely reach their respective exam centres so as to avoid any hurriedness and latency, especially during the final moments before the evident exam.
- No entry will be permitted in the exam hall without JEE Main admit card along with identity proof
- Any electronics, including cell phones, calculators, watches with the calculators and pagers, books, notebooks, tablets, etc. are strictly not allowed to be carried inside the exam centre.
- Students with medical problems can be given a few pardons. For example, students with diabetes can carry small items such as sugar tablets or fruits as well as water bottles, only if it’s transparent. But packed items like chocolate, candy, wafer, sandwiches, etc. are not allowed even for diabetic students.
JEE Main B.Arch Score Accepting Colleges
Check a list of top colleges that offer B.Arch courses.
|S. No.||Institute Name|
|1||National Institute of Technology Calicut|
|2||National Institute of Technology Hamirpur|
|3||Malaviya National Institute of Technology Jaipur|
|4||National Institute of Technology Patna|
|5||National Institute of Technology Raipur|
|6||National Institute of Technology Rourkela|
|7||National Institute of Technology Tiruchirappalli|
|8||Visvesvaraya National Institute of Technology Nagpur|
|10||School of Planning & Architecture New Delhi|
|11||School of Planning & Architecture Vijayawada|
|12||School of Planning & Architecture Bhopal|
|13||Chandigarh College of Architecture Chandigarh|
|14||SRM University Chennai|
|15||ICL Institute of Architecture Ambala|
|16||GITAM University Visakhapatnam|
|17||Faculty of Technology and Engineering Vadodara|
What After B.Arch?
For those of you who are thinking about what will happen after the JEE Main examination – especially B.Arch – there are a number of options these students can adopt in their life.
- There is going a step forward and picking up masters after passing the Bachelors in Architecture.
- One can also get a PhD in Architecture, thus helping the student even more so in his or her professional life as a talented architect.
- If not interested in studying further, these students can also get jobs in the core architecture field, as there is plenty of scope in this field.
And all of these options boil down to good grades in the JEE Main 2020 B.Arch Examination.
The examination does seem to fluctuate; and though we can’t blame the authority or even the government, it is important that the students keep studying to not forget their syllabus. The JEE Main B.Arch Exam Pattern above will help the students to plan their study timetable and therefore, improve their chances of passing the JEE Main 2020 B.Arch Examination with flying colours.
Ans. In MCQs 4 marks for every correct response will be given and I mark will be deducted for every incorrect response. Whereas numerical Value questions will have no negative marking. And ofcourse drawing questions will be marked as per the candidates’ drawing skills.
Ans. Yes, definitely you can apply for both B. Arch and B. Planning papers. But your exam duration will be 3 hours 30 minutes instead of 3 hours in such a case.
Ans. According to the eligibility guidelines, candidates of any stream who have passed 12th /qualifying examination with 50% marks in aggregate and 50 % marks in Mathematics are eligible to apply.
Ans. JEE Main Paper 2 consists of 3 sections. Marks and question distribution of JEE Main Paper 2 is tabulated below:
|Part I||Mathematics||25 Questions of 100 marks (20 MCQs and 5 Numerical Value Based Questions)|
|Part II||Aptitude||50 MCQs of 200 marks|
|Part III-||Drawing||2 Questions of 100 marks|
Ans. It totally depends on the student’s capability and performance. If you are truly interested in doing, nothing seems difficult.
Ans. Yes, definitely BArch is a good course and has great scope with amazing career opportunities. Even you could get a chance to get jobs abroad as well.
Ans. No, it is not compulsory to appear for the JEE Main paper 2. If you are not interested in the BArch course you can skip that.