Bachelor of Technology (B Tech) is a professional undergraduate course opted by lakhs of aspiring students each year. Post the completion of the course, students get a B.Tech graduation degree in the field or branch they chose in the beginning. This bachelor course acts as a gateway to start a career in the engineering and related industry.
- Bachelors of Technology often referred to as B Tech, is a four-year full-time course covering several fields of engineering and technology.
- B.Tech is designed to develop the technical skills among the learners who want to explore the core details in technology and development sectors.
- Students pursuing this course get theoretical and practical knowledge of training. They also learn how different aspects of technology such as machines, electronics, algorithms etc in their respective fields are operated.
Overall, B.Tech is not limited to a single field. The specialization or branch that an aspiring student chooses decides what he/she will excel in. Let us talk more about B.Tech in detail.
You Might Like-
B Tech Course Highlight
|B Tech Full Form||Bachelor of Technology|
|B Tech Eligibility||10+2 Qualification with PCM|
|B Tech Admission Process||Entrance Based/ Merit Based/ Direct Admission|
|B Tech Course Fee||INR 50,000-60,000 to INR 10 lakhs or higher|
|B Tech Average Salary||INR 8 – 15 lakh per annum|
|B Tech Popular Specializations||Mechanical Engineering, Electronics & Communication Engineering, Computer Science Engineering, Civil Engineering, Data Science etc.|
|B Tech Entrance exam||JEE Main, MHT CET, KCET, AP EAMCET, TS EAMCET, KEAM, Goa CET, WBJEE, UPSEE, KLEE, VSAT, KIITEE, etc.|
|Career options||Data Scientist, Mechanical Engineer, Computer Engineer, Instrumentation Engineer, Civil Engineer etc.|
|Top recruiting companies||Tata Consultancy Services Limited, Infosys Limited, HCL Technologies Ltd., Accenture, Capgemini, HP, Intel, etc are the top recruiters|
- Benefits of Starting JEE Main Preparation Early
- JEE Main 2020 Study Material: Important books, Sample Papers
Benefits of Pursuing B.Tech
The flourishing technology sector has increased the demand for B Tech graduates. In addition to foraying into core engineering sectors, B Tech graduates can work in the Information Technology, Data Analysis, Consultancy, and Management sectors. The various benefits are given below-
- This course helps you develop good technical skills that are needed to apply for jobs in various Public Sector Undertakings (PSUs) and other jobs in the government sector.
- Graduates with a B.Tech degree get lots of advantages during job interviews due to their technical skills.
- The salary packages differ from company to company. But recruiters in core sectors offer the best salaries that vary from INR 8 lakh to INR 25 lakh per annum.
- Some overseas firms also offer very high salary packages with a whopping package of INR 50 lakhs to 1 crore per annum. Usually, this amount is in USD or respective foreign currency, which makes it even more worth.
Who is eligible for B Tech?
Minimum eligibility needed to get admissions to any B Tech course is:
- Candidates must have cleared the Class 10+2 exam from a recognized board with Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics as core subjects.
- It is important to get at least 60% in the above subjects combined to give the JEE Main exam.
- Some colleges have an age bar for aspirants planning to get admission in B Tech courses. Candidates must not be more than 24 years of age counted from the date of the examination
Please keep in mind that B.Tech eligibility criteria might differ from institute to institute, so you are advised to visit the official website for the same.
How To Pursue B.Tech After 12th?
Admission to the Bachelor of Technology course is granted through entrance examinations and merit. Individual universities offer both direct admission and conduct entrance exams to shortlist the most eligible candidates for the program. Candidates planning to apply for the B Tech program must be well-versed with the entrance exams required by the selected/opted Universities.
- Admission to B Tech courses is granted based on the candidates’ performance in engineering entrance exams.
- Admission to centrally funded institutes is carried based on JEE Main and JEE Advanced.
- Admission to the B Tech course in-state colleges is done based on the regional or state entrance exams.
- Some private universities take their own entrance like VITEEE, BITSAT, SRMJEEE, etc. to shortlisted eligible candidates for the B.Tech course.
- JEE Main Preparation Tips by Experts
- How to score 250+ in JEE Main? 6 Preparation Tips and Strategies
List of Top B Tech Specializations
Some of the top B.Tech specialization offering the highest salary to graduates include:
|B Tech Specialization||Salary Package Range|
|Computer Science Engineering||INR 2.4 Lakh – 1 Crore per annum|
|Mechanical Engineering||INR 1.8 Lakh – 20 Lakh per annum|
|Civil Engineering||INR 3 Lakh – 25 Lakh per annum|
|Electrical Engineering||INR 1.8 Lakh – INR 30 Lakh per annum|
|Electronics & Communication Engineering||INR 1.5 – INR 35 Lakh per annum|
The expected salary for freshers varies from INR 6-8 Lakh per annum. However, this goes up to INR 1 Crore p.a. for jobs offered to IITians by giant companies like Facebook, Google and Twitter.
- Low Rank in JEE Main? These Alternate Options Might Help You
- JEE Main Books for Preparation: Physics, Chemistry & Mathematics
List of B.Tech Entrance Exam
Some of the popular Engineering Entrance Exams include:
|JEE Main||Joint Entrance Exam Main (For NITs, IIITs and GFTIs)|
|JEE Advanced||Joint Entrance Exam Advanced (For IITs)|
|BITSAT||Birla Institute of Technology and Science Admission Test|
|VITEEE||VIT Engineering Entrance Examination|
|WBJEE||West Bengal Joint Entrance Examination|
|MHTCET||Maharashtra Common Entrance Test|
|KCET||Karnataka Common Entrance Test|
|APEAMCET||Andhra Pradesh Engineering, Agriculture, and Medical Common Entrance Test|
|UPSEE||Uttar Pradesh State Entrance Exam|
|COMEDK UGET||A consortium of Medical, Engineering and Dental Colleges of Karnataka Undergraduate Entrance Test|
|MU OET||Manipal University Online Entrance Examination|
|TS EAMCET||Telangana State Engineering, Agriculture, and Medical Common Entrance Test|
|IPU CET||Indraprastha University Common Entrance Test|
|SET||Symbiosis Entrance Test|
|KIITEE||Kalinga Institute of Industrial Technology Entrance Examination|
|SRMJEEE||SRM Institute of Science and Technology Joint Entrance Examination|
|AEEE||Amrita Entrance Examination- Engineering|
|IISER||Indian Institute of Science Education and Research Aptitude Test|
- JEE Advanced Syllabus 2020, Important Topics, Best Books to Prepare
- JEE Advanced 2020 Paper Analysis (Out): Section-wise Analysis, Difficulty Level and More
List of Top B.Tech Colleges
Several government-affiliated or private colleges, universities offer the Bachelor of Technology [B. Tech] program to the candidates who meet the minimum eligibility criteria and clear all the selection stages.
- IIT is the dream college of every B.Tech aspirant and looks forward to getting admission at IITs including the IIT Kharagpur, IIT Bombay, IIT Madras, IIT Delhi, IIT Guwahati, IIT Roorkee, IIT Goa, among others.
- National Institutes of Technologies [NITs] located in Tiruchirappalli, Rourkela, Surathkal, Warangal, Durgapur, Allahabad, Nagpur, etc. are among some other top B Tech Colleges.
- Apart from government engineering colleges, there are a lot of private universities in India that offer B.Tech courses as part of the curriculum.
- Some of the renowned universities and colleges include Vellore Institute of Technology [VIT], Manipal Academy of Higher Education [MAHE], SRM Institute of Science and Technology [SRMIST], Birla Institute of Technology and Science [BITS], etc.
Given below are the top colleges of India for pursuing B Tech-
|IITs||NITs||IIITs||GFTIs & Other Institutes|
|IIT Kanpur||NIT Calicut||IIIT Allahabad||Jadavpur University|
|IIT Jodhpur||NIT Surathkal||ABV-IIITM Gwalior||IIEST Shibpur|
|IIT Ropar||NIT Kurukshetra||IIITDM Jabalpur||SPA Vijayawada|
|IIT Hyderabad||NIT Tiruchirappalli||IIIT Sri City||SRM Institute of Science and Technology|
|IIT Delhi||NIT Allahabad||IIIT Guwahati||Amrita University|
|IIT Roorkee||–||IIITDM Kancheepuram||PES University|
Latest News Updates
- JAC Delhi Counselling 2020: Spot Round Registrations Open Till 4th December
- JEE Main 2021: Live Session With Education Minister Extended To December 10th
- Uttarakhand Government To Provide Free Coaching Classes For JEE Aspirants
- JEE Main 2021: Mr Ramesh Pokhriyal Directs NTA to Draft a Fresh Syllabus
- JEE Main 2021 Delayed Till February, JEE Advanced 2021 Syllabus Being Reviewed
B Tech Career Perspective and Jobs
With the growth in the technology sector, the demand for B.Tech graduates is also increasing rapidly. Pursuing B Tech allows you to become professional engineers. The course curriculum includes developing an understanding of professional subjects specific to the course along with educating the learners about the technical aspects of the course. Pursuing a B.Tech course offers limitless career opportunities with good starting salary to the graduates. The average course salary of a B.Tech graduate lies anywhere between INR 6-2 lakhs per annum.
Some of the kinds of jobs you can take after completing the B.Tech course include:
- Software Engineer
- Testing Engineer
- System Analyst
- Automobile Engineer
- Technical Support Engineer
- Mechanical Engineer
- Civil Engineer
- Aerospace Designer
- IOT Specialist
List of Top Recruiters include-
- Hindustan Unilever Ltd
- ITC Limited
- Mckinsey Knowledge Centre
- JP Morgan
- Rubrik and Uber
- Morgan Stanley, etc.
Higher Studies after B.Tech
You can also pursue further studies post getting a B Tech degree. You can prepare for the GATE exam as well, which helps you get admission in M. Tech courses offered at prestigious engineering colleges (like IITs and NITs). In case you are not interested in the GATE exam, you can prepare for JAM and enter academics and research in your field of engineering. It is one of the best career options which can be considered post completing engineering.
Difference Between B.Tech and B.E
The main difference between these B.Tech and B.E degree courses in regard to course material taught, orientation, etc. are mentioned below.
|Bachelor of Engineering (B.E.)||Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech)|
|It is a more theoretical and knowledge-oriented course and is based more on the theory part.||It is a skill or data-oriented and includes more of application-based engineering.|
|This course deals with the engineering aspects of Science||It includes technical aspects of Science|
|The course is designed to develop innovative equipment and useful technical gadgets within the Science and Technology sector.||This course applies the principles of engineering and technology aimed at modifying structures and thereby enhancing their quality.|
Both BE and B.Tech courses give wider opportunities to the graduates to pursue a career in Engineering. The duration of both these courses is 4-years and is divided into 8 semesters.
- JEE Main Cut Off for GFTIs 2020: Check Previous Year Cut Off and Seat Matrix
- IITs Vs NITs: What to Choose and How to Choose?
B Tech FAQs
Some of the colleges that can be considered for doing a B.Tech course include VIT, SRM, BITS Pilani, BIT Mesra, MIT Manipal, KIIT among others. These colleges have a different selection process, so refer to the official website of these colleges and universities before applying.
Candidates who meet the minimum eligibility criteria can give the national level/ state level/ institute level engineering entrance test conducted each year to offer seats in B.Tech courses. Only the shortlisted candidates who cleared the written exam and interview round, if any, will get a seat in their most preferred engineering college or university.
B.Tech graduates are appointed in technical fields. Candidates post completing their studies can get appointed as Computer Science Engineer, Mining Engineer, Mechanical Engineer, Ceramic Engineer, Civil Engineer, Automobile Engineer, etc.
Some of the top companies that take part in the placement drive held at the engineering colleges include TATA Consultancy, Bain & Company, Infosys Technologies, Larson & Tubro, InfoEdge India Ltd, Accenture Services, Accenture, IBM Global Services, Honeywell, HCL Technologies, Goldman Sachs, Microsoft, etc.
B.Tech in IT (Information Technology) is one of the most preferred streams among the B.Tech aspirants. It differs from Computer Science engineering as the B.Tech opted for IT stream are expected to learn management and information theory. This stream includes a detailed study of programming and the software computer.
Being a fresher, B.Tech graduate can easily get anywhere between INR 6- 10 lakh per annum. But in the majority of the cases, the salary of a candidate depends upon the job profile and the institute from where he has completed his studies. In case you are appointed as a Project Engineer, Design Mechanical Engineer, you can easily get a handsome starting salary.
Indian Institute of Technology Bombay, Manipal Institute of Technology, Manipal, College of Engineering, Pune, Vellore Institute of Technology, Vellore and SRM Institute of Science and Technology, are some of the top colleges from where you can do Civil Engineering.
Yes, aspirants can pursue an MBA post completing their graduation as it helps boost their employability. Companies these days prefer candidates having managerial experience as well in addition to detailed knowledge. So you can go for an MBA as well, post getting a B.Tech degree.