Last updated on November 20th, 2020 at 12:14 pm
B.Tech in Civil Engineering is one of the most popular branches in the courses. It is an undergraduate course that includes the study of material science, structural designs, construction materials, and management.
- Civil Engineering deals with the design, construction, and maintenance of the Physically natural environment which includes works like bridges, roads, canals, dams, and buildings. The B.Tech Civil Engineering courses is based on the following points:
- B.Tech Civil Engineering is a four years undergraduate course. There are a total of eight-semester in the four years course.
Topics included in B.Tech Civil Engineering are Basic Steel Design, Mechanical Engineering, Construction Project Management, Geotechnical Engineering, Transportation Engineering, Structural Analysis, etc. Admission to B.Tech Civil is based on JEE Main and JEE Advanced exam.
- B.Tech in Computer Science and Engineering (CSE) – Course Overview
- IITs Vs NITs: What to Choose and How to Choose?
B.Tech Civil Engineering Highlights
|Name of the course||B.Tech Civil Engineering|
|Eligibility||10+2 with science stream from a recognized board|
|Examination Type||Semester system|
|Average fee||INR 3-7 lakhs in Public InstitutesINR 6-14 lakhs in Private Institutes|
|Admission Process||Based on both the Entrance examination and Merit.|
|Average Civil Engineering Salary||INR 3 lakh to 6 lakh Per annum|
- JEE Main Cut Off for GFTIs 2020: Check Previous Year Cut Off and Seat Matrix
- IIT Madras: Admission via JEE Advanced, Fees, Cut-Off and More
Why Choose Civil Engineering?
Civil Engineering is one high demanding subject for experienced civil engineers in today’s world where infrastructures are in high demand.
- It will be very much beneficial to choose Civil Engineering because after completion of the course a lot of job opportunities will be available in private and public sector industries and institutions.
- After completing B.Tech in Civil Engineering, Civil engineers are employed in all the major construction projects which are carried out by the state or central government, railways, private construction companies, military engineering services, consultancy services, etc.
- Moreover, it is one of the reputed professions with high salary packages. Apart from on-field jobs, graduates can also work in different types of Civil Engineering jobs in the field of education or can do research work.
So, we can say that civil engineers play a significant role during various emergencies like natural disasters and drought.
- Career Options After JEE Main- Know Your Options
- IIIT Delhi: Admissions via JEE Main, Cut-Offs, Fees and Latest Updates
B.Tech Civil Engineering Admission Process
The admission for B.Tech Civil Engineering varies for different universities. In most of the institutions/ universities, admission is done on the basis of marks obtained in the higher secondary examination and also on the basis of scores obtained in the entrance examination.
- National Test Agency (NTA) conducts JEE Main and IITs conduct the JEE Advanced while other entrance exams are conducted by the respective institute.
- Some institutes conduct their own entrance exams and some institutes offer direct admission based on the management quota seats.
In most of the colleges, the selection is done on the basis of common entrance tests like BITS, HITS, or through the JEE Main, JEE Advanced entrance exam. Diploma students can directly take admission to B.Tech second year, The process of admission is both online and offline. The admission process for B.Tech Civil Engineering is discussed in the below points.
- Firstly, candidates need to register themselves on the official website of the college or institutions. They need to create an account with personal details.
- Secondly, they have to fill the application form with all the correct information.
- Thirdly, Candidates need to scan and upload all the required documents.
- At the submission of the application form, candidates need to pay an application fee which needs to be paid online.
- After paying the application fee, the admit card will be released for the eligible candidates.
- Download the admit card from the official website.
- Candidates have to appear for the entrance exam to get admission in the course.
After qualifying for the entrance exam, a merit list of the qualified candidates will be prepared. Lastly, qualified candidates will be called for admission and counselling.
- JEE Main Eligibility Criteria 2020 (Updated): Qualification, Attempts and More
- NIT Calicut Admissions via JEE Main, Cut-Offs, Fees and More
B.Tech Civil Engineering Cut Off for Top IITs
The cut off is the minimum marks required for admission in the Bachelor of Technology courses. The cut off for the top IITs for the B.Tech Civil Engineering courses are given below in the form of opening and closing rank.
|Name of the Institute||Opening Rank||Closing rank|
- IIT Jodhpur Cut Off: JEE Advanced Opening & Closing Rank
- IIT BHU: Admission via JEE Advanced, Cut Off, Fees and More
B.Tech Civil Engineering Cut Off for Top NITs
In the below table, the cut off for the top National Institute of Technology is given. The cut off of NITs is released on the official website of the Joint Seat Allocation Authority (JoSAA) in form of opening and closing ranks for different categories, home state as well as other state quotas.
|Name of the Institute||Opening Rank||Closing Rank|
- NIT Hamirpur Cut Off: JEE Main Opening and Closing Ranks
- NIT Agartala Cut Off: JEE Main Opening and Closing Ranks
B.Tech Civil Engineering Syllabus
Given below is the syllabus for Civil Engineering subject of almost all top colleges.
|1st Year||2nd Year||3rd Year||4th Year|
|Professional Communication||Strength of Material||Transportation Engineering||Building Maintenance|
|Engineering Mathematics-1||Engineering Geology||Numerical Methods and Operations||Coastal Engineering and Marine structures|
|Engineering Chemistry||Structural Analysis||Engineering Economics and Principles of Management||Transportation Engineering|
|Fundamentals of Electronics Engineering||Geotechnical Engineering||Groundwater Hydrology||Finite Element Method|
|Environmental Studies||Fluid Mechanics||Design of Hydraulic structures||Construction Engineering and Management|
|Engineering Physics||Strength of Material||Transportation Engineering||Advance Surveying and Remote E sensing|
|Fundamentals of Electrical Engineering||Engineering Geology||Numerical Methods and Operations||Building Maintenance|
|Engineering Drawing||Structural Analysis||Engineering Economics and Principles of Management||Coastal Engineering and Marine structures|
|Fundamentals of Mechanical Engineering||Geotechnical Engineering||Groundwater Hydrology||Transportation Engineering|
|Engineering Mathematics-2||Fluid Mechanics||Design of Hydraulic structures||Finite Element Method|
|Technical Communication||–||–||Construction Engineering and Management|
|Fundamentals of Computer||–||–||Advance Surveying and Remote E sensing|
- JEE Main Paper Analysis – B.Arch, B.Planning and B.Tech / B.E. Trends
- JEE Main 2020 Exam Pattern (Revised): Check Pattern and Marking Scheme
Civil Engineering Careers & Future Scope
A civil engineer has a very bright and good future. It is one of the best branches from the perspective of growth. After pursuing Civil Engineering, a lot of job opportunities are there in the field of both the public and private sectors which includes railways, consultancy firms, defence force, banking, and municipal corporations, etc
- Civil engineers find work not only in the construction industry but also in other industries such as oil and energy, transportation, petroleum, environmental, power and electric utilities, etc where infrastructure projects and construction facilities are involved.
- Civil engineers are recruited by top building contractors, client companies, and many government-aided organizations such as Highways departments, Housing departments, mineral extraction sites.
- Most of the students after completing their B. Tech goes for higher studies like Master of Engineering, MBA, etc. Some of them prepare themselves for competitive exams in government sector organizations.
- JEE Advanced 2020 Exam Pattern: Paper 1 & Paper 2 Pattern and Marking Scheme
- How Can You Make A Career Without JEE Main?
B.Tech Civil Engineering Placement Trends
If we talk about the placement, we can see that the placement trends for civil engineers are increasing every year. There are a number of placement opportunities for civil engineers. The salary package can vary for the students of IITs and private colleges or institutes.
- More than 80% of the Civil Engineering students are recruited on the campus interview.
- The top job profile for Civil engineers is Structural engineer, Geotechnical engineer, Site engineer, Construction engineer, Transportation engineer, Environmental engineer, etc.
- The average salary package of a civil engineer starts at INR 3-5 lakh annually and the highest salary package is INR 20 lakh per annum.
- Best salary packages are offered to the students of IITs.
- Salary packages depend upon the experience of the candidates.
In conclusion, it can be said that a number of private and government colleges or institutes offer Civil Engineering courses. If we compare both private college and government colleges we can see that there are a lot of differences in terms of fees, placement, Teaching faculty, Infrastructure, curriculum, and recognition. The fees for the government college is less compared to a private college. In terms of infrastructure, a private college is better than a government college. So, if we will compare, we will see a lot of difference if we compare both private colleges and government colleges.
Some of the top firms which recruit Civil Engineering graduates are WS Atkins Consultant Limited, Fluor Corporation, Aecom Corporation, L&T Limited, Lodha Group, Nagarjuna Construction Company, Shapoorji Pallonji, and Co. Ltd, Infra Corporation, Gammon Infrastructure Projects Limited, Afcons Infrastructure Limited, Government, and Public Infrastructure Projects.
- NIT Uttarakhand: Admission via JEE Main, Fees, Cut Off and More
- BIT Mesra: Admissions via JEE Main, Fees, Cut-Offs, Scholarships
B.Tech in Civil Engineering FAQs
Last updated on November 20th, 2020 at 11:00 am
The admission process at NIT Rourkela is done through the Central Seat Allocation Board and the JEE Main entrance examination. There are no other means of the admission process at NIT Rourkela.
Last updated on November 20th, 2020 at 10:59 am
The placement and job opportunities are very good after completing the B.Tech Civil Engineering course. Many multinational companies recruit students from Civil Engineering branches. The starting salary of Civil Engineering graduates is INR 3 lakh per annum.
Last updated on November 20th, 2020 at 10:54 am
The minimum eligibility criteria for admission in B.Tech Civil Engineering courses is to qualify for higher secondary examination with Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics from a recognized board. For admission to the top college, the minimum percentage is 60%.
Last updated on November 20th, 2020 at 10:56 am
NIT Raipur fee structure for B.Tech in Civil Engineering for OBC students is around INR 1,40,000 annually.
Last updated on November 20th, 2020 at 10:58 am
There are a lot of job options available after the B.Tech Civil Engineering course. Some of them are Junior Engineer, Executive Engineer, Structure Analyst, Construction Engineer, Structure Designer, etc.