Last updated on January 8th, 2021 at 01:28 pm
B.Tech in Chemical Engineering is a popular undergraduate program which has a duration of 4 years, branched into 8 semesters. In this course, the students are equipped with a curriculum of the specially designed concept of Chemical Engineering with comprehensive theoretical and practical knowledge of Chemical management and extraction concepts.
- Aspirants for the course must have passed 12th standard or any equivalent degree in any Science stream to pursue a full-time course in B.Tech Chemical Engineering.
- The different aspects that are covered in the course B.Tech in Chemical Engineering involve Chemistry, Solid and Mechanics, Basics, petrochemicals, Chemical Plant Designing and Operations, etc.
- Applicants are chosen either through direct admission or through a national level entrance exam such as JEE Main.
- The course fee for B.Tech Chemical Engineering through government and private colleges varies somewhere in between INR 1 to 9 Lakh.
- JoSAA Counselling for admission into IITs, NITs, IIITs and GFTIs
- IIT Delhi 2020 Cut Off for Undergraduate Programs
B.Tech Chemical Engineering: Highlights
|Course Level ||Undergraduate|
|Duration ||4 years|
|Eligibility ||Successful completion of Class 12th|
|Average Fee ||INR 1-9 Lakhs|
|Average Salary ||INR 2.5 – 7 LPA|
|Admission Criteria ||National or State Level Entrance Exam Deemed Universities Entrance Exams Direct Admission Process|
- NIT Surathkal Fee Structure for B.Tech Admissions 2020-21
- NIT Durgapur Cut Off: JEE Main Opening and Closing Ranks
Graduates who complete their course and go on to become chemical engineers develop technical knowledge of chemistry, engineering, biochemistry, materials science and information technology. Nonetheless, these engineers also gain insight into the environment, economics, safety and management. Here are a few reasons to choose chemical engineering:
- Chemical engineers are hired by numerous businesses by both large and small companies. Pursuing a Chemical Engineering course gets one of the best-paying jobs
- Chemical engineers have countless career opportunities. A graduate can perform innovative scientific research, work as a field engineer, or occupy a senior management position.
- Those who have graduated in Chemical Engineering and choose not to accept core companies to work in are highly employable in other industries as they have been taught problem-solving and have good analytical and management skills.
- NIT Trichy: Courses Offered, Admissions via JEE Main, Placements and More
- NIT Patna Cut Off: JEE Main Opening and Closing Ranks
Chemical Engineering Admission Process
Candidates who have applied for B.Tech in Chemical Engineering are needed to enrol themselves on the official website of the desired college or hand over the filled hard copy of the application form within the given deadline. There are universities which conduct their own entrance exams, aspirants must enrol for the same and pass their cut-off marks to get admitted in the college for the specified course.
- Admission in B.Tech CE course is mainly entrance based, candidates who are applying for the curriculum should have their results from the respective mandatory entrance exams in advance for the chosen university.
- On qualifying the entrance exams, a merit list of qualified students is put up and select students are called for admission counselling by the corresponding university or college.
- The final allotment of seats to the chosen few students is done and those students are requested to deposit the enrolment fee for the Chemical Engineering course and register for the chosen academic year.
B.Tech Chemical Engineering Cut Off For Top IITs (JEE Advanced 2020)
Nearly all of the leading engineering colleges in India offer B.Tech in Chemical Engineering programs. But, very few of them are contemplated to have a good curriculum followed by great placements for the CE course. The following table gives an insight into the opening and closing rank for the top IITs in the country and their Chemical Engineering program.
|Institute ||Opening Rank ||Closing Rank |
|IIT Delhi||1301 ||2109|
B.Tech Chemical Engineering Cut Off For Top NITs (JEE Main 2020)
Students who don’t score a very high rank in JoSSA and do not get a chance to attend an IIT, have a possibility to pursue Chemical Engineering through the National Institutes of Technology present all across the country. The following table gives an insight into the opening and closing rank for the top NITs in the country and their Chemical Engineering program.
|Institute ||Opening Rank ||Closing Rank |
|NIT Karnataka (Surathkal)||11562||14217|
Latest News Updates
- Key Takeaways From Education Minister’s Webinar On JEE Main 2021 Examination
- JEE Main 2021: Live Session With Education Minister Extended To December 10th
- Uttarakhand Government To Provide Free Coaching Classes For JEE Aspirants
- JEE Main 2021: Mr Ramesh Pokhriyal Directs NTA to Draft a Fresh Syllabus
- JEE Main 2021 Delayed Till February, JEE Advanced 2021 Syllabus Being Reviewed
Chemical Engineering Syllabus
The table below gives the semester wise syllabus for B. Tech Chemical Engineering program:
CE Syllabus – First Year
|Semester I||Semester II|
|Engineering Chemistry 1||Mechanics of Solids|
|Computer Programming||Mathematics 2|
|Engineering Mechanics||Physical Chemistry|
|Mathematics 1||Organic Chemistry|
|Engineering Graphics||Engineering Physics 2|
|Engineering Physics 1||Fluid Mechanics|
CE Syllabus – Second Year
|Semester III||Semester IV|
|Chemical Process in Industries||Energy Engineering|
|Analysis and Instrumental Methods||Heat Transfer|
|Chemical Engineering||Mass Transfer|
|Instrumentation Dynamics and Control||Materials Sciences and Technology|
|Open Elective||Open Elective|
CE Syllabus – Third Year
|Semester V||Semester VI|
|Chemical Reaction Engineering||Safety of Plants|
|Chemical Process||Inventory Management System|
|Tools and Control of Machines||Biochemicals|
|Open Elective||Application of Mechanical|
CE Syllabus – Fourth Year
|Semester VII||Semester VIII|
|Open Elective II||Open Elective IV|
|Open Elective III||Open Elective V|
|Project||Chemical processing Technology|
- IIT Kanpur Placement Report and Summer Internship Programs
- IIT Madras Placements Report and Summer Internship Programs
Chemical Engineering Future Scope
On completion of the B.Tech Chemical Engineering course, fresh graduates can opt for various career options and job prospects. The students can go for either a government-based or a private based industry.
- Numerous job opportunities which the students can take after pursuing a degree in B.Tech Chemical Engineering involves – Plant Manager, Production Engineer, Purchase and Control Quality Executive, Project Manager, Plant Designer, Chemical Engineer, and many more.
- Starting salary of a fresher from Chemical Engineering varies from INR 5 to 7 LPA.
Chemical Engineering Placement Trends
According to the placement trends over the years, B.Tech in Chemical Engineering earns one 9 Lakhs as Median Salary.
- The leading recruiting companies include – Volvo, PepsiCo, Aricent, Schlumberger Limited, Ashok Leyland, Microsoft, Wipro, TCS, Amazon, HONEYWELL, Samsung, Infosys, among many others.
- Government sector companies offer the best package across the industries, however, there are some Public Sector Undertakings (PSUs) which offer many job opportunities for chemical engineers like – Gas Authority of India Ltd. (GAIL), Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited (BHEL), Oil and Natural Gas Corporation Limited (ONGC), among many others.
Graduates from distinguished institutions like IITs and NITs in B.Tech in Chemical Engineering get great placement packages. Most of the core companies from the government as well as the private sector are interested in recruiting freshers.
B.Tech Chemical Engineering graduates usually earn around INR 9.03 LPA on an average. The usual job profiles offered after completion of B.Tech in Chemical Engineering are Chemical Process Engineer, Chemical Engineer, Process Engineers, Professor/Lecturer, Senior Process Engineer, etc. They are also capable of carrying out research work.
Fresh Chemical engineering graduates are very well paid but getting hired in a good core job is not easy as this field doesn’t have many job openings as compared to others. Nonetheless,
- IIT Bombay Placements Report and Summer Internship Programs
- IIT Kanpur: Admission via JEE Advanced, Placements, Cut Off, Fees and More
B.Tech in Chemical Engineering FAQs
Last updated on January 8th, 2021 at 11:41 am
In India, the leading colleges offering Chemical Engineering courses are- IIT Kharagpur, BITS Pilani, IIIT Allahabad, IIIT Hyderabad. There are many more top colleges, one can just hover over their website and check for the courses they offer.
Last updated on January 8th, 2021 at 11:42 am
Some of the popular specializations for students who pursued B.Tech. In Chemical Engineering are Surface Coating Technology, Bioinformatics Engineering, Genetic Engineering, Safety and Fire.
Last updated on January 8th, 2021 at 11:43 am
Joint Entrance Examination (JEE) Main, KIIT Entrance Exam, SRM Joint Engineering Entrance Examination, Indraprastha University Common Entrance Test are some of the entrance exams that one can appear for to get admitted in B.Tech Chemical Engineering courses over the country.
Last updated on January 8th, 2021 at 11:43 am
The top recruiters for fresh graduates in B.Tech in Chemical Engineering are ONGC, HCL, IPCL, Coal India, NALCO, TISCO, Geological Survey of India, Neyveli Lignite Corp., TELCO, Reliance etc.
Last updated on January 8th, 2021 at 11:44 am
In India, the basic eligibility criteria to pursue B.Tech Chemical Engineering is to have passed higher secondary level with subjects like Physics, Chemistry and Maths, from a recognized university. However, to get admission to top colleges like IITs and NITs, one will have to score more than 90% in their 10+2.