Last updated on June 19th, 2021
JEE Main 2021 May session stands postponed amid the surge in COVID-19 cases in India. Previously, the April session was also postponed by NTA. It is expected that NTA might announce new exam dates soon after a consensus is formed for conducting the competitive exams. Amid the concerns of COVID-19, experts have predicted that JEE Main 2021 might be conducted in the months of July and August only. In its public notice, NTA also said that candidates will be informed about new exam dates of the April and May session at least 15 days earlier.
NTA released the JEE Main 2021 Results for March and February session for all three papers. Students who appeared for the March session can download their scorecard. JEE Main 2021 B.E./B.Tech Paper was conducted in various shifts from 16th to 18th March 2021. Candidates can check exam analysis here. Students can also check the official JEE Main 2021 Answer Keys/Question Papers that have been released with detailed solutions. Download JEE Main Answer Keys 2021
JEE Main 2021 May Session Postponed
NTA released official notification and JEE Main 2021 Information Brochure on 16th December 2020. The major change is in the JEE Main 2021 Exam Pattern which will now have a total of 90 questions. However, candidates are required to attempt only 75 of them. Choices will be provided in numerical questions (Section B) of each subject.
Latest Updates on NTA JEE Main 2021–
- 19th June 2021: A senior official from Education Ministry has confirmed that a decision on JEE Main Dates will be taken soon.
- 10th June 2021: A review meeting will be held soon to consider the dates for JEE Main 2021 and other exams.
- 14th May 2021: Technical Entry to Indian Army after class 12th now requires compulsory JEE Main participation. Know Details
- 5th May 2021: NTA postponed JEE Main May session amid the rise in COVID-19 cases. Dates will be announced later. Read More
- 18th April 2021: JEE Main 2021 April session postponed by NTA. New dates to be announced at least 15 days in advance.
- 26th March 2021: NTA will be refunding any duplicate fees received during application/correction window of Feb or March session of JEE Main 2021. Know More
- 15th February 2021: As per the recent notice, candidates appearing for 12th boards in May 2021 will have the option to choose their JEE Main Exam Date due to dates clash. Read More
- 19th January 2021: Dr Ramesh Pokhriyal has waived-off 75% eligibility criteria (top 20 percentile rule) in JEE Main 2021.
- 26th December 2020: A list of FAQs was published by NTA to clear some doubts of students on application and JEE Main 2021 Admit Card. Paper 2A (B.Arch) and 2B (B.Planning) will be conducted in February and May sessions only. Know More
For the year 2020, JEE Main Cut Off (General category) was 90.3 NTA score, slightly higher than previous year. It was around 30 to 72 for other categories.
JEE Main 2021 – Exam Dates and Events
NTA released the official schedule for JEE Main 2021 on 16th December 2020. Complete schedule of various events of JEE Main 2021 April session are given below. This year, JEE Main will be conducted in four sessions. Check JEE Exam Dates
|Events||NTA JEE Main 2021 May Session|
|JEE Main 2021 Application Form Date||To Be Announced|
|JEE Main 2021 Application Form Closes||To Be Announced|
|Application Fee Window Closes||To Be Announced|
|JEE Main Form Correction 2021 (Pre-registered candidates only)||To Be Announced|
|JEE Main 2021 Admit Card Release||To Be Announced|
|JEE Main 2021 Exam Dates|
JEE Main 2021 Exam Pattern (Updated)
The major highlights of the JEE Main 2021 Exam Pattern are tabulated here. NTA has revised the number of questions in Paper 1 to 90, out of which 75 are to be attempted. The new scheme of examination is as given below-
|Question Type||MCQs + Numerical Value||Drawing + MCQs + Numerical Value||Planning + MCQs + Numerical Value|
|Mode of Exam||Online||Offline and Online||Online|
|Sections||Physics, Chemistry & Mathematics||Aptitude Test, Mathematics and Drawing Test||Aptitude Test, Mathematics and Planning Based Question|
|Questions in Each Section||20 – MCQs
10 – Numerical
|50 – Aptitude test
25 – Mathematics
2 – Drawing Test
|50 – Aptitude test
25 – Mathematics
25 – Planning
|Shifts||9 AM – 12 PM
3 PM – 6 PM
|9 AM – 12 PM
3 PM – 6 PM
|3 PM – 6 PM|
|Marking Scheme for MCQ||+4 for correct answer
-1 for incorrect answer
|Marking Scheme for Numerical value||+4 for correct answer
NO negative marks for incorrect answer
NO marks for unanswered
New Exam Languages Incorporated in JEE Main 2021
In accordance with the National Education Policy 2020 (NEP), NTA will also provide the JEE Main 2021 in multiple regional languages as given below-
|S. No.||Language||Exam Centres|
|1.||English||All Examination Centres|
|2.||Hindi||All Exam Centres in India|
|3.||English and Assamese||Exam Centres in Assam|
|4.||English and Bengali||Exam Centres in West Bengal, Tripura and Andaman & Nicobar Island|
|5.||English and Gujarati||Exam Centres in Gujarat, Daman and Diu, Dadra and Nagar Haveli|
|6.||English and Kannada||Exam Centres in Karnataka|
|7.||English and Marathi||Exam Centres in Maharashtra|
|8.||English and Malayalam||Exam Centres in Kerala and Lakshadweep|
|9.||English and Odia||Exam Centres in Odisha|
|10.||English and Punjabi||Exam Centres in Punjab, Chandigarh and Delhi|
|11.||English and Tamil||Exam Centres in Tamil Nadu, Puducherry and Andaman & Nicobar Island|
|12.||English and Telugu||Exam Centres in Andhra Pradesh and Telangana|
|13.||English and Urdu||All Exam Centres in India|
JEE Main Exam Pattern: Paper 1 (B.Tech/B.E.)
- Paper-1 of JEE Main 2021 is conducted for admissions to undergraduate engineering courses.
- As per the recent changes in JEE Main 2021, the exam will be a Computer-Based Test and will be conducted in Online Mode only.
- JEE Main Paper 1 will have questions from Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics subjects only.
- There will be a total of 75 Questions including 5 numerical value questions and 20 Multiple Choice Questions from each subject.
- The duration of the exam will be 180 minutes (3 hours)
- The medium of the paper will be English and Hindi. However, as per new languages, candidates can choose the language, according to their vicinity.
JEE Main Exam Pattern: Paper 2A (B.Arch)
- JEE Main 2021 Paper 2A will be conducted for admission to undergraduate architecture courses (B.Arch).
- Paper 2A will be a Computer Based Test as well as Pen Paper Based Test, testing a candidate’s aptitude in the field of Mathematics and Drawing Ability. Paper 2A will also have an aptitude section.
- Drawing section will be conducted offline in pen and paper mode.
- Candidates are required to take essential equipment/tools for the Drawing section as these tools will not be provided by the exam authority for JEE Main.
- JEE Main Paper 2A will have a total of 77 questions
- 50 questions from aptitude test,
- 2 questions from drawing test and
- 25 questions from mathematics.
- Aptitude and Maths section questions will score 4 marks for each right answer. Drawing section is more value-based, with maximum marks up to 50 for each question.
- The duration of the exam will be 180 minutes only.
- The medium of the paper will be English and Hindi, as well as other new languages incorporated in the exam pattern.
- Each correct question will carry 4 marks and two drawing questions will be of 50 marks each.
- One mark will be deducted from the candidates’ total score for each incorrect response. No negative marking for Numerical Value Based Questions.
JEE Main Exam Pattern: Paper 2B (B.Planning)
- Paper 2B of JEE Main 2021 will be conducted for admission to undergraduate planning courses in Architecture Colleges (B.Planning).
- Paper 2B will also be a Computer Based Test, testing a candidate’s aptitude in the field of Mathematics and Planning ability.
- The JEE Main Paper 2B will consist of a total of 100 questions (maximum of all JEE Main papers) which includes-
- 50 questions for Aptitude test,
- 25 questions for Planning test and
- 25 questions from Mathematics.
- Numerical Value-Based Questions will be asked here as well.
- The duration of the exam will be 180 minutes.
- The medium of the paper will be English and Hindi. Similar to other two papers, candidates get the option of other languages here as well.
- Each correct answer will provide 4 marks.
- One mark will be deducted from the candidates’ total score for each incorrect response. There will be no negative marking for Numerical Value-Based Questions.
JEE Mains 2021 Registration Form
Update: NTA has released the Information Brochure for JEE Main 2021. Check JEE Main 2021 Information Brochure
JEE Main 2021 Application can be completed in the online mode via JEE Main 2021 Login page and can be accessed at the official website.
- Also, candidates must have a valid email ID and an active mobile number for JEE Main 2021 Login and JEE Main 2021 Registration Form.
- Candidates must keep their email ID and mobile phone number till the JEE Main and admission is over. Important information may be shared via email or SMS by the exam conducting authority.
Steps for JEE Main Registration 2021
The application process contains 7 steps to complete the JEE Main 2021 Application Form. They are:
- JEE Main 2021 Registration through Aadhar Number
- Fill the Online Application Form
- Verification of Mobile Number and Email ID
- Uploading of Images
- Fee Payment
- Printing of Acknowledgement Page
- Candidates must ensure that all details entered in the JEE Main Application Form are correct as there is a very limited scope to make any correction/modification in the form after submission.
- There is usually a short window for online correction or modification with a valid reason for specific sections in the form.
Latest JEE Main News
- “Classes for Engineering Courses to Start from 15 September”, Says AICTE Amid COVID-19 Surge
- JEE Main 2021 May Session Postponed, Education Minister Confirms; Check Details
- JEE Main April 2021 Postponed Amid Spike In COVID-19 Cases, New Dates 15 Days Prior To Exam
- AICTE Says PCM Not Mandatory For Engineering: Boon or Bane?
- Dr Ramesh Pokhriyal Announces JEE Advanced 2021 For 3rd July, 75% Criteria Removed
JEE Main 2021 Application Fee (Updated)
JEE Main Application Fee varies for categories as well as the choice of exam center and mode of exam. The fee details for JEE Main 2021 with all the combination of exams is tabulated below (INR):
|Category||Single Paper (INR)||Two or Three Papers (INR)||Single Paper (INR)||Two or Three Papers (INR)|
|–||In India||In India||Outside India||Outside India|
|General / OBC-NCL (Male)||650||1300||3000||6000|
|SC / ST / PwD / Female / Transgenders||325||650||1500||3000|
- Single Paper includes
- B.Tech (Paper 1)
- B.Arch (Paper 2A)
- B.Planning (Paper 2B)
- Two or Three Papers include
- B.Tech + B.Arch
- B.Tech + B.Planning
- B.Arch + B.Planning
- B.Tech + B.Arch + B.Planning
Updated Rules on JEE Main Registration Fee 2021
As the JEE Main 2021 session will have four sessions i.e. February, March, April and May 2021, NTA has provided some benefits in terms of refunds etc.
- Candidates can apply for either 1 session or multiple sessions together while filling the online JEE Main Application Form 2021. Application Fee will be charged according to the choice.
- Application Window will re-open for a short period after the results of February, March and April sessions. This will ensure aspirants are able to apply further as per their choice.
- The Application Fee can be carried forward to next session of JEE Main 2021.
- NTA will also refund the paid fee for a session that candidate does not wishes to attend. Candidate can make this withdrawal request during the application process of that particular session only.
- Option to change choice of cities will be provided in the Form Correction window.
JEE Main Admit Card 2021
NTA is going to release the JEE Main 2021 Admit Card soon after the new exam dates for JEE Main Session 3 are announced. Candidates can download their admit card for JEE Main from the official website i.e. jeemain.nta.nic.in using Application Number and DOB.
- “Important Instructions For Candidates” are provided at page 2 of JEE Main Admit Card.
- “Advisory for Candidates Regarding COVID-19” is also provided in the Admit Card.
- Undertaking printed on page 1 must be brought at the JEE Main Exam Centre on the day of the exam. Undertaking filled online must also be brought at the exam centre along with Admit Card for JEE Main 2021.
- Candidates must carry a valid ID proof along with JEE Main Admit Card at the exam centre.
Sample of Admit Card for JEE Main 2021
As shown below, a written undertaking has to be filled by the candidate. This undertaking must be submitted at the NTA JEE Main Exam Centre. The undertaking is for self-declaration from candidates on COVID-19.
Download Admit Card using JEE Main Login
Admit Card for JEE Main can be downloaded using a combination of the following details-
- JEE Main Application Number
- Date of Birth of candidate
Click on Submit and download JEE Main 2021 Admit Card
Steps for downloading JEE Main 2021 Admit Card are given below-
- Visit the official site – jeemain.nta.nic.in
- Click on “Download Admit Card” link
- You will be asked to enter Application Number and Date of Birth. Enter Required Details.
- Review all the details – Candidate’s Name, DOB, Father’s Name and Mother’ Name and click on ‘Download Your Admit Card’.
- Download your Admit Card in PDF form and safely keep the PDF for future reference.
- For the JEE exam centre, it must be printed on an A4 sheet.
Attributes of the JEE Main 2021 Admit Card
A lot of details will be provided in JEE Mains Hall Ticket/Admit Card. Ensure all the details that are particularly important for exam purposes are correct. Thoroughly check the spelling errors as these are most common errors. Given below is a list of details provided in Admit Card for JEE Main 2021-
- Candidate’s Name
- Father’s Name
- Paper/Papers Chosen
- Date of each Paper chosen
- Time slot/Shift of each Paper Chosen
- Date of Birth
- Address of JEE Exam Center
- Exam City
- State Code of Eligibility
- Passport Size Photograph (as uploaded in the JEE Main application form)
- Signature (as uploaded in the JEE Main application form)
- Medium (Language) of Question Paper
- General Instructions and Guideline for the JEE exam
- JEE Exam Day Instructions for candidates
JEE Main 2021 Syllabus
JEE Main Syllabus for Paper 1 covers the syllabus of Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics of CBSE class 11 and 12.
- While the questions in JEE Main Paper 2 are largely based on Aptitude and Drawing along with some class 12 level Mathematics.
- JEE Main Paper 3 consists of Planning based questions, Aptitude and Mathematics.
- JEE Main Paper 3 has the most number of questions with a total of 100 questions to be solved in 3 hours
Students must check the syllabus for JEE Main 2021 for all three papers.
JEE Mains Result 2021
NTA releases the JEE Main Result 2021 for Paper 1 (B.E/B.Tech), Paper 2A (B.Arch) and Paper 2B (B.Planning) shortly after each session. The JEE Main Result or Score Card must be downloaded from the official website only. Admissions to the NITs, IIITs, CFTIs, etc. is based on the All India Ranks (AIR) List as well as the Category-wise Rank List. The JEE Main 2021 Score Card will carry the following details:
- JEE Main All India Rank
- Category Rank
- Total Score in NTA JEE Main 2021
- NTA Score
- Sectional Scores Secured in each paper
- Overall Percentile
- Sectional Percentile
- Qualifying Cut Off for JEE Advanced 2021
24 candidates have scored a full 100 percentile in April / September 2020 session due to normalisation method of score calculation.
Sample for JEE Main Score Card 2021
Given below is a sample for JEE Main Score Card-
How To Check JEE Main 2021 Result using JEE Main Login?
- Go to the official site of JEE Main, jeemain.nic.in.
- Now search for “JEE Main NTA Score Paper 1” and click on it.
- Choose the JEE Main 2021 session for which the candidates appeared.
- Enter the required details such as Application Number and Date of Birth. A security pin might be asked as well.
- Click on the ‘Submit’ button.
- Verify and Download JEE Main scorecard.
- Take the print out of the JEE Main Scorecard or save it as PDF for future correspondence.
JEE Main 2021 Answer Keys
NTA hosts the official answer keys for all three papers of JEE Main along with individual candidate’s responses for a short period on the official website. Candidates can check their responses against the provisional JEE Main 2021 Answer Key and draw an estimate of their score in the JEE exam.
- The final JEE Main Answer Keys 2021 for March session are released on 23rd March 2021. Candidates will be able to challenge provisional answer key only.
- The final result of JEE Main 2021 is based on the revised or final JEE Main 2021 Answer Key.
How To Check or Download JEE Main 2021 Answer Key Using JEE Main Login?
Students can easily check the JEE Main 2021 Answer Key and their Response Sheets by visiting the official website. For getting the answer key, students need to follow the given steps-
- Open the official website of JEE Main 2021.
- Click on the “View Answer Key and Question Paper” link.
- Students will be redirected to JEE Main 2021 Login page.
- Enter application number, password or date of birth, and then click on Submit.
- The response sheet and answer key will appear on the screen
- After that students can cross-check the answer with correct option ID
Students are suggested to download and take the print of the JEE Main 2021 answer key and responses for future reference if required.
Challenging JEE Main 2021 Answer Key
If according to the student, the answer marked in the first JEE Main 2021 answer key is not correct, then he/she can challenge that particular answer in the JEE Main 2021 Answer key.
Applicants can challenge the answer key through online mode only along with the relevant proof. To raise the objection, students need to pay an objection fee of INR 200/- for each question.
Steps to submit objection related to JEE Main 2021 Answer Key is as follows:
- Open the JEE Main 2021 Login page i.e. official website.
- Click on “Challenge answer key”
- A new page will open with list of questions, correct answer (as per NTA) and option IDs to choose from.
- Select the correct option ID for the respective question from the list of questions provided.
- After selecting all the questions for the challenge, pay the required fee.
Note: The fee is non-refundable under any circumstance.
JEE Main 2021 Eligibility Criteria
JEE Main 2021 Eligibility is what decides if a candidate has all the required qualifications to take the JEE Main Exam. Unable to meet the criteria, your candidature can be cancelled at any moment before joining a college. To sum up, the JEE Main Eligibility Criteria is based on the following parameters-
- Date of Birth/Age Limit
- Qualifying Exam i.e. 10+2 or equivalent
- Aggregate Marks scored in Qualifying Exam
- Year of Passing the Qualifying Exam
- Number of Attempts
Following is the Eligibility Criteria for the aspirants who wish to attempt the JEE Main exam in 2021:
|Criteria||Eligibility for Appearing in JEE Main||Relaxation (for reserved categories)|
|Age limit||No age limit||No age limit|
|Minimum qualifying marks (for admission in NITs, IIITs, IITs, and CFTIs)||75% marks in aggregate||65% marks in aggregate|
|Year of passing class 12||Passing after 2019, 2020 or appearing in 2021||–|
|Total number of attempts||3 (consecutive)||–|
Note: Education Minister has announced that 75% eligibility criteria has been scrapped off for JEE Main 2021, similar to previous year. This decision has been taken with respect to COVID-19 pandemic and loss of classroom education due to the pandemic.
Important Points for JEE Main Eligibility Criteria
- There is no age limit to be eligible for JEE Main 2021. But some IITs have an age limit to get admission.
- Further, candidates who have passed 12th or equivalent exam in 2019, 2020 or appearing in 2021 are eligible.
- Also, candidates must have passed 12th from a recognized central or state board.
- Candidates who have passed 12th from NIOS must have studied a minimum of five subjects.
- There are no criteria on pass percentage in the qualifying exam to write JEE Mains. Yet, for admissions into the IITs, NITs, IIITs and CFTIs, candidates need a certain score. In all, they need an aggregate score of 75% in the qualifying exam (65% for SC/ST/PwD categories).
Subjects required in 10+2
This criterion does not limit a candidate from appearing in JEE Main 2021. The participating colleges of JEE Main want these bucket of subjects in class 12th-
- JEE Main Paper 1 – B.Tech/B.E.
- Anyone of subjects including Chemistry, Biology, Biotechnology or Technical Vocational Subject
- JEE Main Paper 2 – B.Arch.
- JEE Main Paper 3 – B.Planning
With this under consideration, it is evident that now B.E/B.Tech course does not need Chemistry as the main subject. Although, colleges might still consider this under admission criteria.
JEE Main 2021 Exam Centres
NTA allocates the JEE Main 2021 Exam Centers according to the 4 preferences provided by the aspirants in JEE Main Application Form. There are some important points regarding JEE Main Exam Centres and guidelines that candidates must follow amid COVID-19.
- JEE Main 2021 will be conducted in CBT mode at 605 exam centres for B.E/B.Tech and 489 exam centres for B.Arch and B.Planning.
- A total of 224 cities in India and 8 cities abroad have JEE Main Exam Centres.
Timings at JEE Main Exam Center
|Activity||First Shift||Second Shift|
|Timing||9.00 AM to 12.00 PM||3.00 PM to 6.00 PM|
|Duration of Exam||3 hours||3 hours|
|Entry in the Examination Center*||7.30 AM to 8.30 AM||1.30 PM to 2.30 PM|
|Entry in the Examination Hall/Room||7.30 AM to 8.45 AM||1.30 PM to 2.45 PM|
|Test Commences||9.00 AM||3.00 PM|
|Test Concludes||12.00 PM||6.00 PM|
*Last entry closes half an hour before the JEE exam commences. This means that no candidate will be allowed to sit in the exam after 8.30 AM for First Shift and 2.30 PM for Second Shift.
JEE Main Marks vs Rank
Given below is a table depicting the range of marks vs the range of rank according to that particular score.
- This data is based on a trend from previous year JEE results (of JEE Main Paper 1 only) and might not be accurate.
- Due to recent changes in JEE Main 2021 exam pattern, the trend is shifting to a higher score for many candidates due to numerical value-based questions which do not have negative marking.
|Score Range||Rank Range|
|285 – 300||1 – 100|
|275 – 284||100 – 200|
|260 – 274||200 – 500|
|250 – 259||500 – 100|
|240 – 249||1000 – 1500|
|220 – 239||1500 – 3500|
|200 – 219||3500 – 6000|
|180 – 199||6000 – 9500|
|150 – 180||9500 – 15000|
|120 – 149||15000 – 35000|
|<120||More than 35000|
Note: This data is based on trend analysis. Accuracy of this data is not guaranteed.
Read More About JEE Main Marks vs Rank
JEE Main 2021 Cut Off (Expected)
The JEE Main Joint Admission Board (JAB) releases the JEE Main Cut Off scores required to seek admission into B.E./BTech and B.Arch/B. Planning programs through the JoSAA Counselling.
The Final Qualifying JEE Main Cut Off has been announced in the scorecards issued by NTA. JEE Main 2020 Cut Off (Qualifying) for Paper 1 is indicated in the table provided below. This can be interpreted as the expected cut off for 2021-
|Category||Qualifying Percentile (Paper 1)|
|General – CRL||90.3765335|
|OBC – NCL||72.8887969|
- All participating institutes that do not use the Centralized Seat Allocation Process of JAB prepared their merit list based on JEE Main 2021 performance and other parameters as decided by them.
- NTA will use percentile score and Normalization Procedure this time to rank the candidates after compiling the JEE result of all sessions.
- This is to ensure balanced competition among candidates appearing for JEE Main 2021.
What Factors Can Change JEE Mains 2021 Cut Off?
The following factors play a crucial role in determining the JEE Main Cut Off every year-
- A total number of candidates appeared for the exam – If the total number of candidates increases every year, the number of candidates scoring higher will increase as well. The JEE Main Cutoff will increase in this case.
- Level of difficulty of the exam – JEE Main Cut Off for Counselling is majorly depending on the level of difficulty. This is why JEE Main Cutoff has decreased in recent years.
- The number of available seats – Every year there are multiple intakes in Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs), National Institutes of Technology (NITs), Indian Institutes of Information Technology (IIITs) and Government Funded Technical Institutions (GFTIs). If the number of colleges increase or decrease, or if the batch size is increased, compared to the number of applicants, JEE Main Cut Off will increase or decrease as well.
- Overall performance of the candidate – If a large number of applicants perform very well in JEE Main, the cutoff is subject to increment.
JEE Main Cut Off Trends: 2016 to 2020
The JEE Main Cut Off decides your eligibility to appear in JEE Advanced 2021 which will further give you the chance to join the Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs).
|Category||2020 JEE Main Cut Off (%ile)||2019 JEE Main Cut Off||2018 JEE Main Cut Off||2017 JEE Main Cut Off||2016 JEE Main Cut Off|
JEE Main 2021 Mock Test
- NTA will also upload video lectures from prominent faculty as part of the IIT-PAL video series.
- These video lectures can also be accessed from Youtube and on mobile devices using ‘Swayam’ App.
- The lectures are currently added for Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, and Biology.
How can you take the JEE Main Mock Test?
- The candidate needs to visit the official website of NTA to take the JEE Main Mock Test. Mock Test for JEE Main can now also be taken via home.
- Search for “Student” Tab. Click on it.
- Now, click on “Mock Test” which will take you to this link – nta.ac.in/Quiz
- Candidates would be asked to select the exam they are appearing for and the corresponding paper.
- Click on “Start Mock Test”.
- Candidates would not be asked for any credentials. After this, just click on login.
- At the beginning of the JEE Main Mock Tests, general instructions would be provided. The instructions would help the students to know the to-do’s in JEE Main Mock Tests.
- After making declarations on general instructions, click on “Proceed”.
- Question board on the right side of the screen would be depicting the status of the questions in the mock test. For different status, different colours are involved to show the answer status of each question.
JEE Main Reservation Criteria
NTA assigns All India Rank to candidates as per their respective categories. They follow the Government of India directives on reservation criteria as mentioned below:
The benefit of reservation for admission into the NITs/IIITs and CFTIs are extended by the central category list published by the GOI. State Engineering colleges accepting JEE Main scores abide by the state reservation rules.
|NIT (Other State Quota)||50% of the seats are reserved for the candidates who belong to all other states and Union Territories excluding Home State.|
|NIT (Home State Quota)||50%|
|Center/State Funded Technical Institutes||Home Quota/State Quota/All India Quota|
|Government Funded Technical Institutes||All India Quota|
|State Engineering Colleges||All India Quota|
How to claim reservation in JEE Main?
So, candidates can easily claim reservation in JEE Main. The candidate must enter the category he/she belongs to in the following manner-
- The candidate must mention the reservation category in JEE Main 2021 Application Form.
- During JEE Main Counselling, the candidate must submit proof and documents of reservation.
- If a candidate cannot provide proof, reservation for applied category will be void. And, the candidate will be considered under the unreserved category for further process.
- Candidates can apply under the Economically Weaker Section (EWS) category. This is valid for all candidates. Including, General category falling under the EWS criteria.
JEE Main 2021 Form Correction
The organizing authority of JEE Main 2021 provides a one-time facility for making corrections in certain fields of the JEE Main Application Form. An additional fee may be charged for making corrections in JEE Main 2021 Application Form. The JEE Main Correction Window is made available after the last date of submitting the application form.
The corrections made after the end date are not considered. The JEE Main Form Correction facility is just like filling the JEE Mains 2021 Registration Form again. Every detail can be changed/edited except for the mode of exam.
Details that can be corrected in JEE Main Correction Facility
Candidates can edit the following details in their JEE Main Application Form 2021 for various sessions-
- Candidate’s Name (as per class 10th mark-sheet)
- Paper (change from Paper 1 to Paper 2 or vice versa)
- Aadhar Number: Unlike last year, the Aadhar number can be updated.
- Date of Birth (as per class 10th mark-sheet)
- Communication Address
- Permanent Address
- Contact Number
- Photograph and Signature
JEE Main Form Correction Fee
There is no fee required for making corrections in the JEE Main Application Form, except for the changes given below-
- If a candidate is changing category, he/she will be required to pay as per the change in category. For example, if a candidate changes category from SC/ST to General, the additional fee will have to be paid.
- If a candidate is changing exam city to a foreign exam center preference, then the additional fee will be required to be paid.
In case a candidate is making any changes where the JEE Main Application Fee is reduced, there are no refunds for such changes. For example, no refund will be provided for changing the category from General to SC/ST/OBC/PwD.
JEE Main Counselling 2021
The centralized counselling process for JEE Main 2020 has concluded for IITs and other engineering colleges. Seat Allocation in the institutes participating in the centralized process will be based on AIR and candidate preferences for branch and institute.
JEE Main Counselling will be done at four levels in online mode:
- Joint Seat Allocation Authority (JoSAA): IITs, IIITs, NITs, IIEST Shibpur and other Government Funded Technical Institutes.
- CSAB Special Rounds: For NIT+ system colleges, if seats left vacant after JoSAA Counselling.
- CSAB-NEUT: AICTE approved institutes in North-East States & UTs.
- CSAB-SFTI: Counselling for 17 Self-funded Technical Institutes.
Difference Between JoSAA and CSAB
Initially, the counselling for AIEEE (now JEE Main) was conducted by CCB or Central Counselling Board. With structure of exams changing from 2013, to JEE Main and JEE Advanced, CCB was also renamed CSAB (Central Seat Allocation Board).
- But from 2015-16, JoSAA or Joint Seat Allocation Authority was setup to conduct the joint counselling for IITs, NITs, IIITs and GFTIs. This was done in order to keep the process simple for students who appeared for both JEE Mains and JEE Advanced.
- Currently, CSAB handles counselling for few specific types – CSAB NEUT and CSAB Special Rounds. CSAB Special Round counselling is conducted only when there are vacant seats after all rounds of JoSAA Counselling are completed.
Seat Acceptance Procedure
- Payment of Fees and Seat Acceptance: After the seat allotment, candidates will have to choose one of the following options:
- Freeze: Candidates who are satisfied with the allotted seat and course and do not wish to participate in the JEE Main Counselling process any further, may choose this option.
- Float: Those candidates who want to keep the allotted seat but also wish to upgrade their seat (or course), may choose this option. This will take you for further rounds of JEE Main Counselling 2020.
- Slide: Those candidates who wish to keep the allotted seat in the same institute/college but would like to upgrade the course to a higher-ranked course can choose this option.
- Withdraw: Candidates who have been allotted a seat under a course of preferred college but now do not want admission can withdraw their seat by informing the same to the institute before the last date of seat allotment.
- Document Verification: The documents have to be verified during the reporting at colleges. This can be conducted uploading and reporting online.
- Final Reporting: After the verification of documents, candidates will have to report to the allotted institute and they will have to pay the balance fee as per the college course rules. In case a candidate does not report at college till the last date, the seat will be cancelled.
JoSAA Cut Off Ranks 2020 (Updated)
Candidates can check the JoSAA 2020 cut off ranks (Opening and Closing) of various rounds of counselling for participating institutes such as – IITs, NITs, IIITs and GFTIs.
|JoSAA Counselling Rounds||IITs Cut Off (OR-CR)||NITs Cut Off (OR-CR)||IIITs Cut Off (OR-CR)||GFTIs Cut Off (OR-CR)|
- ‘P’ in IITs cut off ranks denote Preparatory Course Allotment.
- IIEST Shibpur rankings are available with NITs opening and closing ranks.
JEE Main Seat Matrix 2021 (Updated)
A total of 110 colleges (23 IITs, 26 IIITs, 29 GFTIs, 31 NITs, IIEST) participated in JoSAA Counselling of JEE Main. Data given below in the table provides the seat matrix for various types of government institutions. This data is compiled for all courses under various colleges including B.E/BTech, B.Arch and B.Planning.
Please do note that this data is subject to change depending on the seat matrix provided by various colleges. Check 2020-21 Official List of All Participating Colleges
Also Check | Top IITs in India, NIRF Ranks, Fees, Cut Off
Top Engineering Colleges of India
Now that the JEE Main 2021 is coming closer, students are getting prepared for admissions to top engineering colleges in India. Students still prefer engineering in higher education due to its vast scope in the global industry.
- As per the National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF) 2020, Engineering Rankings, 9 IITs and 1 NIT rank in top 10 colleges.
- This year also, IIT Madras has topped the first position, with IIT Delhi on 2nd and IIT Bombay on 3rd.
- NIT Tiruchirappalli is the only NIT to rank under top 10 colleges. It is at 9th position this year.
Given below is the list of top 10 engineering colleges as per NIRF 2020-
|NIRF Ranking||Institute||Annual Fees for BTech (INR)|
|1||Indian Institute of Technology, Madras||75,200|
|2||Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi||2,25,000|
|3||Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay||2,11,500|
|4||Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur||2,14,000|
|5||Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur||82,000|
|6||Indian Institute of Technology, Roorkee||2,21,700|
|7||Indian Institute of Technology, Guwahati||2,19,350|
|8||Indian Institute of Technology, Hyderabad||2,25,200|
|9||National Institute of Technology, Tiruchirappalli||1,62,000|
|10||Indian Institute of Technology, Indore||2,43,000|
Aspiring students can check a detailed list of top engineering colleges of India.
Next Step After JEE Main 2021: NITs
The best engineering colleges that a student can get barely on the basis of JEE Main Scores are National Institutes of Technology (NITs). To get admission into IITs, students must qualify JEE Advanced 2021 which is going to be conducted around a month after JEE Main 2021.
- All the NITs have a 50% home state quota meaning 50% of the total seats are reserved for students with state domicile where the NIT is located.
- Admission to NITs now only requires candidates to clear 10+2 with a passing certificate. CSAB scrabbed eligibility of 75% minimum aggregate.
National Institute of Technology (NITs) Under JEE Main 2021
India has a total of 31 NITs, all of them categorised as autonomous public institutes. Out of these 31 NITs, 11 institutes have recently been established with NIT Andhra Pradesh being the latest established in 2016.
Given below is a list of all NITs in the country-
Some of the major courses offered at NITs and IITs, which have decent cut off ranks with readily available seat at tier 2 colleges, are given below-
- Mechanical Engineering (B.Tech)
- Electrical Engineering (B.Tech)
- Aeronautical Engineering (B.Tech)
- Civil Engineering (B.Tech)
Few modern B.Tech courses have been added to the list with top league institutes offering courses in Machine Learning, Data Science etc due to its huge and expanding scope. Know More About Such Courses
What Do Different Colours in JEE Main 2021 Questions Mean?
There are specifically 5 ways a question can be depicted in an Online, Computer-Based Test. Below are the official instructions for questions from JEE Main Mock Test. These colours might be different in the actual exam.
- Grey – Unvisited/Not Checked
- Green – Answered
- Red – Visited but NOT answered
- Purple – Marked for REVIEW, and not yet answered
- Purple with green circle – Marked for REVIEW and answered
JEE Main Important Topics
As the JEE Mains exam is coming closer, it is very important to know the JEE Main Important Topics that you must prepare thoroughly to provide a good base for a good score. We have provided a list of subject-wise topics that are important for the JEE Main Exam (Paper 1 only). It is advised to read the whole article about important topics to understand segregation more deeply.
IIT-JEE Main Important Topics for Physics
Physics section of JEE Main includes more than 21 chapters and some of the most important chapters are given below-
|Important Topics||JEE Main 2021 Weightage|
|Oscillations And Waves||10%|
|Atoms And Nuclei||5%|
|Laws of Motion||5%|
|Magnetic effect of Current and Magnetism||9%|
IIT-JEE Main Important Topics for Chemistry
Chemistry section of JEE Main comprises 30 chapters. These are further divided into three – Organic, Inorganic and Physical Chemistry. The number of chapters in Chemistry is very large which makes it comparatively harder to score. It is often seen that students attempt the easiest questions of Chemistry wrongly. Given below are some most important chapters of JEE Main Chemistry. Do note that segregation according to 3 subheads is not given-
|Important Topics||JEE Main 2021 Weightage|
|Transition Elements & Coordination Chemistry||9%|
|Carbohydrates, Amino Acids, and Polymers||7%|
|Periodic Table and Representative elements||6%|
|General Organic Chemistry||6%|
IIT-JEE Main Important Topics for Mathematics
Mathematics section is probably the most scoring section of JEE Mains. Students do not have to write the steps or solve the complete question as required in board exams. This requires conceptual knowledge along with good calculation skills. There are around 25 chapters in JEE Main Mathematics syllabus. Out of these, the most important ones are given below-
|Important Topics||JEE Main 2021 Weightage|
All topics of Calculus are deemed highly important for the JEE Main 2021. These topics create a base for further study of engineering and require a lot of dedication from students. Prepare all these topics with complete dedication.
Best Books for JEE Main 2021
Given below are some best books that will help students strategise their study pattern and subject-wise concepts for JEE Main 2021. The maximum amount of practice is required and that is what these refreshers engage you in. Check out these subject-wise lists provided below-
Physics section of JEE Main consists of both theory and numerical questions. A student must be prepared with both types of questions. This can be done only by learning topics conceptually. Although, mugging up the topics is not a good idea it is suggested for a few things such as formulae. Given below is a table of books and it’s usage.
|Book And Author||Usage|
|Concepts of Physics (Vol. 1 and 2) by H.C Verma||Questions from all chapters. Topic-wise exercises.|
|Fundamentals of Physics by Halliday, Resnick & Walker||Good explanation of all topics|
|Understanding Physics by D C Pandey (Arihant Publications): Set of books for|
Electricity & Magnetism
Mechanics (Vol. 1 & 2)
Optics & Modern Physics
Waves & Thermodynamics
|Relevant explanations and deduction of answers. Large questions sets.|
|Problems in General Physics by I E Irodov||Large number of questions for practice|
|Understanding Physics by Freedman and Young||Theoretical explanation of major topics|
Chemistry is often considered easy due to the limited number of practical questions and major topics on theoretical knowledge. But, if devised properly, questions from chemistry can be toughest of all the 3 sections. So, given below are books that will help in both theory as well as numericals of Chemistry section in JEE Mains.
|Book And Author||Usage|
|NCERT Textbook (Class XI and XII)||Practice. Weightage of NCERT questions is high.|
|Organic Chemistry by O P Tandon||Clear description of major topics|
|Modern Approach to Chemical Calculations by R.C. Mukherjee||Practising Physical Chemistry Numerical Questions|
|Organic Chemistry by Morrison & Boyd||Practice of advanced level organic chemistry|
|Concise Inorganic Chemistry by J D Lee||Topic explanation with useful numerical examples in Inorganic Chemistry|
|Physical Chemistry by P.W. Atkins||Practising advanced level Physical Chemistry|
|Concept of Physical Chemistry by P Bahadur||Theory and numericals of Physical chemistry|
Mathematics is hard and interesting at the same time. Students can stretch their JEE Main score with the help of this section if their preparation is done properly. Mathematics has a straightforward approach towards questions and thus it can be quick to solve. If solving practical questions, it is often difficult to understand the question rather than solving it. Given below are some books that will help students excel their preparations-
|Book And Author||Usage|
|Objective Mathematics by R D Sharma||Practising every topic|
|Plane Trigonometry by S L Loney||Focuses on Trigonometry|
|The Elements of Coordinate Geometry by S L Loney||Questions on Coordinate Geometry|
|Algebra by Dr S K Goyal Arihant Publications||Algebra basics and advanced numericals|
|Play with Graphs by Amit M Agarwal (Arihant Publications)||Solving questions using graphs|
|Differential Calculus by Amit M Agarwal (Arihant Publications)||Practice maximum questions on Differentiation|
|Integral Calculus by Amit M Agarwal (Arihant Publications)||Practical as well as Numerical Questions on Integration|
|Complete Mathematics for JEE Main TMH||Description of major topics|
Aptitude and Drawing
Although these two sections are different, they can be prepared using compiled books available in the market specifically for JEE Main Paper 2 (B.Arch) exam. The same books are also used for the preparation of the National Aptitude Test in Architecture (NATA). Given below is a list of best books for Aptitude and Drawing.
|Books and Author||Usage|
|A Complete Self-Guide for BArch Entrance Examination – P.K. Mishra (Arihant)||Prepare for – Analytical Reasoning|
|Steps to Architecture (NATA) B.Arch. Entrance Exam – Nimish Madan||History of Architecture in India|
Availability of required Drawings and Sketches
Previous Year Papers
|B.Arch/NATA/JEE Main – Offline Drawing Test – Nimish Madan||Explanatory 2D and 3D images, solved and unsolved sample papers|
|Complete Architecture Entrance Guide – Ashok Goel and Arjun Kamal||Architectural awareness and aptitude, Large question bank|
Check Best Books for B.Arch
JEE Main 2021 Participating Colleges
More than 100 colleges take part in the counselling process of JEE Main. In order to score admission in top IIT courses, candidates need to clear JEE Advanced 2021 as well. But before that, candidates need to get a rank in the top 2,50,000 qualifiers of the JEE Main exam to be eligible for the JEE Advanced 2021.
- But maybe it is good to have contingencies, and that is why it would be considered a smart move if you have knowledge of good institutes other than just the IITs.
- There are many private as well as government-funded institutes that provide admissions based on the JEE Main scores.
- Various institutes like NITs, IITs, IIITs, GFTIs and major state-funded colleges allot their seats on the basis of JEE Main scores.
- Now, seats in many private colleges are also filled using the scores of JEE Main only.
- Although there are a few colleges such as BITS Pilani which conduct their own exam (BITSAT) for admissions to their top courses.
Candidates are advised to check the JoSAA Counselling process to ensure that they do not commit any mistakes.
Indian Institute Of Information Technology (IIITs) Under JEE Main 2021
The Indian Institutes of Information Technology (IIITs) are also autonomous engineering institutions providing some of the best courses on engineering focused on Information Technology and Communication Studies.
- IIITs, usually pronounced triple-IT, are popular among the students after IITs and NITs, with a good student track record.
- There are a total of 25 IIITs in India. Under these 25 IIITs, 5 are listed as Institutes of National Importance.
- These are established, funded and managed by the Ministry of Human Resource Development.
- Around 4,000 seats are allotted by JoSAA from these colleges.
List of IIITs
|Name of IIITs||B.Tech Seats|
|PDSM IIITDM Jabalpur, Est in 2017||300|
|ABV IIIT Gwalior, Est in 1997||248|
|IIIT Allahabad, Est in 1999||300|
|IIITDM Kanchipuram, Est in 2007||420|
|IIIT Pune, Est in 2016||120|
|IIIT Guwahati, Est in 2013||200|
|IIIT Kota, Est in 2013||180|
|IIIT Sri City, Est in 2013||270|
|IIIT Vadodara, Est in 2013||200|
|IIIT Nagpur, Est in 2016||110|
|IIIT Kalyani, Est in 2014||130|
|IIIT Lucknow, Est in 2015||75|
|IIIT Dharwad, Est in 2015||180|
|IIIT Bhagalpur, Est in 2017||150|
|IIIT Bhopal, Est in 2017||180|
|IIIT Kottayam, Est in 2015||90|
|IIIT Ranchi, Est in 2016||120|
|IIIT Una, Est in 2014||160|
|IIIT Surat, Ent in 2017||120|
|IIIT Manipur, Est in 2015||100|
|IIITDM Kurnool, Est in 2015||120|
|IIIT Tiruchirapalli, Est in 2013||60|
|IIIT Sonepat, Est in 2014||90|
Government Funded Technical Institutes (GFTIs) Under JEE Main 2021
Government Funded Technical Institutes (GFTIs) are another category of participating institutions which accept the score of JEE Main for the admission in B.Tech/B.E. courses. JoSAA conducts counselling process for GFTIs too, based on JEE Main scores. Students prefer these colleges after IITs, similarly to NITs. More than 9000 seats are allotted under GFTIs. Given below is a list of GFTIs
- Institute of Technology, Guru Ghasidas Vishwavidyalaya, Bilaspur, Chhattisgarh
- National Institute of Electronics and Information Technology (NIELIT), Aurangabad, Maharashtra
- Assam University, Silchar, Assam
- Sant Longowal Institute of Engineering and Technology, Longowal
- Mizoram University, Aizawl
- School of Planning and Architecture, Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh
- Institute of Infrastructure, Technology, Research and Management (IITRAM), Ahmedabad, Gujarat
- J.K. Institute of Applied Physics and Technology, University of Allahabad, Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh
- Birla Institute of Technology, Mesra, Ranchi, Jharkhand
- Institute of Carpet Technology, Bhadohi, Uttar Pradesh
- School of Planning and Architecture, New Delhi
- School of Planning and Architecture, Vijayawada
- Gurukula Kangri Vishwavidyalaya, Haridwar
- National Institute of Foundry and Forge Technology, Ranchi, Jharkhand
- Shri Mata Vaishno Devi University, Katra, J&K
- International Institute of Information Technology, Naya Raipur
- International Institute of Information Technology, Bhubaneswar
NTA Helpline JEE Main – Contact Details
Block C-20 1A/8, Sector- 62
IITK Outreach Centre, Gautam Buddh Nagar
Noida-201309, Uttar Pradesh (India)
Contact No. : 0120-6895200
Email: [email protected]
Helpline Number: 8287471852, 8178359845, 9650173668, 9599676953