Joint Entrance Examination (JEE) is conducted for admission into the undergraduate engineering programmes(B.Tech, B.E., and B.Arch) offered by various IIITs, NITs, GFTIs, and various Institutes. Candidates qualifying JEE Main will be shortlisted for the next stage of JEE:
- JEE Main 2019 includes two papers – Paper 1 for B.E./B.Tech. aspirants, and Paper 2 for B.Arch aspirants.
- Mathematics is the common section in both the papers.
- 30 questions of objective type are asked from Mathematics in Paper 1 as well as in Paper 2.
- Each correct marked answer is of 4 marks while 1 mark is deducted from candidates’ score for every incorrect answer.
Latest B.Tech Application Forms
|Manipal University B.Tech Admission Open. Apply Now|
|SRM University AP B.Tech Admission Open. Apply Now|
Mathematics is usually the easiest section in JEE Main but requires practice. The more problems you will solve, the better will be your speed and accuracy. In order to prepare for JEE Main 2019 and improve your mathematics, you need to focus more on understanding problem-solving methods instead of just reading theories, formulae, and solutions.
In this article, we have compiled some handy JEE Main Preparation Tips for Maths.
Important Topics from JEE Main Mathematics
Candidates need to focus on the right topics rather than trying to cover the entire syllabus. It doesn’t mean that candidates should prepare all the topics carefully but to obtain the right score they must be aware about the topic wise weightage to allocate their time and energy accordingly.
Here is a list of some prominent topics from Mathematics with their respective weightage:
|Units||Weightage in %|
|Sets, Relations and Functions||4-6|
|Complex Numbers and Quadratic Equations||6-10|
|Matrices and Determinants||6-10|
|Permutations And Combinations||3-10|
|Binomial Theorem and its Simple Applications||3|
|Sequences and Series||3-6|
|Limit, Continuity and Differentiability||3-16|
|Co-ordinate Geometry||3 to 24|
|Three Dimensional Geometry||5|
|Statistics and Probability||3-8|
Preparation Tips for Mathematics
Mathematics is an important part of JEE Main syllabi which makes it an important subject in terms of marks distribution. Here are few preparation tips which may be helpful for candidate appearing for JEE Main:
- Believe in self-study and developing firm command over concepts for all the topics.
- NCERT textbooks are reliable for understanding preliminary concepts. Move to other books only after you have solved NCERT books.
- You should brush up the basics to get a grip on the fundamental topics.
- Make a schedule, and try to stick to it.
- Choose the right set of books.
- Practice is the key to Mathematics, so you must practise as much as you can from the past year question booklets and sample papers.
- Spend more time on solve problem instead of reading solutions/theories/formulae
- The more you solve, the more tricks and methods, you will find to solve the questions.
- Formulae are very important in mathematics. Creating a table that topics and formulas from all the chapters can prove very useful.
- Solving two to three model questions papers will help you a lot as it will help you manage your time better and get your rhythm going.
- Special attention must be given to topics under calculus and algebra. These two are crucial topics and must be practiced regularly.
Latest Application Form Available 2018
- Apply for top International Institutions in USA. Click Here
Topic wise Tips
- Differential calculus is an important topic, for which candidate should specialise in solving roots of equations with the utilisation of Rolle’s and Lagrange’s theorems.
- You also need to excel in problems based on Permutation Combination and Probability, as they are essential topics in Algebra.
- Should be able to solve Simplify Integral calculus by using some basic varieties of integrable functions.
- Keep the Integral calculus properties in mind while using them to complete solutions on time.
- Your excellence in Coordinate Geometry depends on proper knowledge of parametric forms of various conic sections.
- The formulae of trigonometry appear everywhere in JEE Mathematics exam paper.
- There are always questions in Calculus that involve standard trigonometric identities. All identities must be on your fingertips.
Latest News Updates
Reference Books for JEE Main Mathematics
It is mandatory to have the right toolkit for preparation. We have enlisted below some important reference books for JEE Main Mathematics preparation.
|Name of the book||Author/Publisher|
|Class XI & XII||NCERT|
|Class XI & XII||R.D. Sharma|
|103 Trigonometry Problems||Titu Andreescu & Zuming Feng|
|Higher Algebra||Hall Knight + Bernard-child|
|Problems in Calculus of One Variable Algebra||I.A.Maron|
|Complete Mathematics for JEE Main||Tata McGraw-Hill (TMH)|
|New Pattern Mathematics for JEE Main/Advanced||Arihant Publications|
|Previous year-IIT-JEE- question bank||———————–|