JEE Main is the national level entrance test organized every year by Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) for admission into undergraduate engineering programs at the IITs, NITs and other centrally funded Technical Institutes. JEE Main is also an eligibility test for JEE Advanced aspirants who wish to pursue their engineering degree program at the IITs. The official notification for JEE Main 2019 is yet to be released by CBSE. However, in this article, we take a look at the various facets of the examination for the benefit of candidates planning to write JEE Main in 2019. Please note that all data and schedule are based on past records and are tentative in nature.
JEE Main 2019 will be conducted both online as well as offline modes. There would be two objective-type papers covering Intermediate level PCM syllabus. Of the two papers, Paper 1 is for B.E./B. Tech aspirants while Paper 2 is for candidates opting for B. Arch/B. Planning program.
The process of registering for JEE Main, issuance of Admit Card to the publishing of Results will be in the online mode through the official website www.jeemain.nic.in. Please note that applicants’ Aadhar Card is mandatory for JEE Main Registration.
JEE Main 2019: Highlights Table
|Name of Examination||JEE Main 2019|
|Conducting Body||Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE)|
|Mode of Application||Online|
|Eligibility Criteria||Age: on or after October 1, 1994
Year of completion of Qualifying Exam: 2017, 2018 or appearing in 2019
Number of papers in Qualifying Exam: At least five subjects in Class 12th
Number of attempts: 3
|Exam Level||National Level UG Entrance|
|Mode of Exam||Online & Offline|
|Number of Papers||2 (Paper 1 for B.E./B. Tech & Paper 2 for B. Arch/B. Planning)|
|JEE Main Helpdesk||7042399520, 7042399521, 7042399525, 7042399526|
JEE Main 2019: Exam Dates
JEE Main 2019 exam dates will be announced by CBSE in due course through the official notification. A tentative Calendar of Events for the exam is tabulated below.
|Release of JEE Main 2019 Notification||November 2018|
|Availability of JEE Main 2019 Application Form||December 2018 – January 2019|
|JEE Main 2019 Application Form Correction Window||January 2019|
|Availability of JEE Main 2019 Admit Card||March 2019|
|JEE Main 2019 Scheduled Exam Date (different dates for Offline & Online)||April 2019|
|Display of JEE Main 2019 Answer Key and OMR Sheet on official website||April 2019|
|Announcement of JEE Main 2019 Paper 1 Score/AIR and top 220000 candidates eligible for JEE Advanced||April 2019|
|Announcement of JEE Main 2019 Paper 2 Score/AIR||May 2019|
|Availability of Score Card||After releasing of AIR for JEE Main 2019|
JEE Main Eligibility Criteria
Candidates need to fulfill primarily 4 eligibility conditions to apply for JEE Main 2019, as tabulated below:
|Age limit||Born on or after October 1, 1994 (can be relaxed up to 5 years for SC/ST/PwD Categories)|
|Year of completion of Qualifying Exam||Completed after 2016 or appearing in 2019|
|Number of Subjects in Qualifying Exam||Should have studied at least 5 subjects in the qualifying exam|
|Total number of attempts allowed||3 (No limit for SC/ST/PwD Candidates)|
- CBSE allows candidates with 40% or more disability to avail the assistance of a Scribe or a Reader.
- Candidates applying for B.E./B. Tech should have studied Physics and Mathematics along with either Chemistry/Biology/Biotechnology while candidates applying for B. Arch/B. Planning should have studied Mathematics in their +2 level.
- CBSE does not specify qualifying exam pass percentage to be eligible to write JEE Main. However, for admissions into the IITs, NITs, IIITs and CFTIs, candidates need to have an aggregate score of 75% in the qualifying exam (65% for SC/ST/PwD categories)
JEE Main Reservation Criteria
CBSE assigns All India Rankings to candidates as per their respective categories following the GOI directives regarding reservation as tabulated below:
|Other Backward Caste (Non-Creamy Layer)||27|
|Scheduled Castes (SC)||15|
|Scheduled Tribes (ST)||7.5|
|Persons with Disability (PwD)||3|
The benefit of reservation for admission into the NITs/IIITs and CFTIs are extended in accordance with central category list published by the GOI. State Engineering colleges accepting JEE Main scores abide by the state reservation rules.
JEE Main Application Form
- JEE Main 2019 Application process will be completed in the online mode. The application form can be accessed at the official website.
- Except for candidates belonging to J&K, Assam, and Meghalaya, it is mandatory for all other candidates to register with their Aadhar Number (Aadhar Enrolment Number for candidates whose Aadhar Card has been applied for but not issued yet).
- J&K, Assam and Meghalaya candidates can register with a valid passport number, bank a/c number, ration card number or any such ID proof issued by the government.
- It is mandatory for candidates to have a valid personal email ID and an active mobile number for JEE Main Registration. Candidates are advised to retain their registered email ID and mobile phone number till the JEE Main and subsequent processes till admission are over as important information may be shared via email or SMS by exam-conducting authority.
- Candidates need to ensure that all details entered on the JEE Main Application Form are correct as CBSE offers very limited scope to make any correction/modification in the form after submission. There is usually a short window for online correction or modification with a valid reason for specific sections in the form. Please note that no change will be accepted through fax/application including e-mail etc.
- The application fee for JEE Main can be paid online (debit/credit cards) as well as offline (e-challan deposited with the requisite amount of cash at Syndicate/Canara/ICICI Bank). Additional bank charges as applicable are to be borne by the candidates.
- Please note that in case the payment process is not complete, the acknowledgment slip will not be generated upon submission of JEE Main Application Form. The fee payment status can be checked on the official website.
- Candidates are required to upload scanned copies of their photograph, specimen signature and specimen signature of either parents/guardian as per the specifications given below:
|Image particulars||File Type||File Size|
|Candidate’s Recent Photograph (photograph should be clear with candidate’s name and date of clicking the photograph printed on it)||.jpeg||4 KB – 40 KB|
|Candidate’s Specimen Signature||.jpeg||1 KB – 30 KB|
|Either parents’/guardian’s specimen signature||.jpeg||1 KB – 30 KB|
- Please note that candidates are not required to send the hard copy of JEE Main Application to CBSE. However, candidates are advised to obtain a print of the application acknowledgment page for future reference.
JEE Main Application Fee
JEE Main Application Fee varies for different categories as well as the choice of exam center and mode of exam. The expected fee details for JEE Main 2019 with all the variations are tabulated below:
|Paper||Offline Mode||Online Mode|
|For Exam Centers in India|
|Paper 1||INR 1000||INR 500||INR 500||INR 250|
|Paper 2||INR 1000||INR 500||–||–|
|Both Papers||INR 1800||INR 900||INR 1300||INR 650|
|For Exam Centers Abroad|
|Paper 1||INR 2500||INR 1250||INR 2500||INR 1250|
|Paper 2||INR 2500||INR 1250||–||–|
|Both Papers||INR 3800||INR 1900||INR 3800||INR 1900|
Please note that application fees once paid will not be refunded under any circumstances.
JEE Main Admit Card
JEE Main 2019 Admit Card will be uploaded on the official website www.jeemain.nic.in for all the candidates who have submitted the online application complete in all respect within the deadline. Candidates will have to download, save and print the document from the website. Please note that it is very important that candidates carry their Admit Card in person on the day of the exam or else they will not be allowed to write the test.
Candidates are advised to check the Admit Card meticulously for the details such as Name, Paper, Date of Birth, Gender, Test Centre Name, City, State Code of Eligibility and Category. Any discrepancy should be immediately reported to JEE Main Secretariat/CBSE for necessary action.
JEE Main Exam Center
- JEE Main 2019 is expected to be conducted in about 258 test locations including 10 locations outside India. All the locations will have the facility of CBT while about 110+ locations are expected to have the facility of PBT. The comprehensive list of test locations and their codes will be available with the official bulletin.
- At the time of application, candidates must select four exam locations in case of PBT and one location in case of CBT. If a candidate is opting for Paper 1 in a location where only CBT is conducted but wants to appear for Paper 2 as well, he/she has to select four other exam locations with PBT facility.
- Please note that if the number of candidates for CBT is less than 50 in a city on any scheduled date, then all such candidates will be allotted the last day of the CBT in the same location.
- CBSE will make all efforts to allot test locations as per candidates’ preferences; however, there can be exceptions due to unavoidable circumstances. CBSE normally does not entertain requests for change of test location; however, the decision of the Executive Director (JAB) will be final in this context.
JEE Main Exam Pattern
The highlights of JEE Main Exam Pattern are tabulated here:
|Specifications||Paper 1||Paper 2|
|Course||B.E./B. Tech||B. Arch/B. Planning|
|Question Type||Objective, multiple-choice questions with four options from which candidate has to choose one correct answer. The drawing questions in Paper 2 will be subjective in nature.|
|Medium of Exam||Candidates in Gujarat, Dadra, Nagar Haveli, and Daman & Diu: English, Hindi, Gujarati.|
|Rest of India: English, Hindi|
|Mode of Exam||Online and Offline||Offline|
|Sections||Physics, Chemistry & Mathematics||Aptitude Test, Mathematics and Drawing Test|
|Questions in Each Section||30||50 – Aptitude test | 30 – Mathematics | 2 – Drawing Test|
|Duration||3 hours||3 hours|
|Marking Scheme||+4 for correct answer | -1 for incorrect answer||+4 for correct answer | -1 for an incorrect answer
35 marks for each question in Drawing Section
JEE Main Syllabus
JEE Main Syllabus for Paper 1 covers the syllabus of Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics of CBSE class 12. The questions of Paper 2 will be largely on Aptitude and Drawing along with some class 12 level Mathematics.
The important topics as specified by CBSE for JEE Main is tabulated below:
|Physics||Physics and Measurement; Kinematics; Laws of Motion; Work, Energy and Power; Rotational Motion; Gravitation; Properties of Solids and Liquids; Thermodynamics, Kinetic Theory of Gases; Oscillation of Waves; Electrostatics; Current Electricity; Magnetic Effects of Current & Magnetism; Electromagnetic Induction & Alternating Currents; Electromagnetic Waves; Optics; Dual Nature of Matter & Radiation; Atoms & Nuclei; Electronic Devices; Communication Systems|
|Chemistry||Some Basic Concepts in Chemistry; States of Matte; Atomic Structure; Chemical Bonding and Molecular Structure; Chemical Thermodynamics; Solutions; Equilibrium; Redox Reactions and Electrochemistry; Chemical Kinetics; Surface Chemistry; Classification of Elements & Periodicity in Properties; General Principals & Processes Of Isolation Of Metals; Hydrogen; S-Block Elements; P – Block Elements; D&F Block Elements; Co-ordination Compounds; Environmental Chemistry; Purification & Characterization of Organic Compounds; Basic Principles of Organic Chemistry; Hydrocarbons; Organic Compounds containing Halogens/Oxygen/Nitrogen; Polymers; Biomolecules; Chemistry in Everyday Life; Principles related to Practical Chemistry|
|Mathematics||Sets, Relations and Functions; Complex Numbers and Quadratic Equations; Matrices & Determinants; Permutations & Combinations; Mathematical Induction; Binomial Theorem; Sequences & Series; Limit, Continuity & Differentiability; Integral Calculus; Differential Equations; Coordinate Geometry; Three Dimensional Geometry; Vector Algebra; Statistics & Probability; Trigonometry; Mathematical Reasoning|
|Aptitude Test||Awareness of places, persons, buildings, and materials; Texture and objects related to Architecture and building environment; Visualizing 3D objects from 2D drawings; Visualizing different sides of 3D objects.
Mental Ability (Visual, Numerical and Verbal), Analytical Reasoning, Three dimensional – perception and appreciation of scale and proportion of objects, color, texture, building forms and elements, contrast and harmony.
|Drawing Test||Drawing and designing of geometrical or abstract shapes and patterns in pencil; Transformation of forms both 2 D and 3 D union; Elevations and 3 D views of objects Rotation; Development of surfaces and volumes; Generation of Plan; Creating 2D and 3D compositions using given shapes and forms; Sketching of activities from memory of urban scenes (public space, festivals, market, street scenes, recreational spaces monuments, etc.); landscape (gardens, trees, riverfronts, jungles, plants etc.) and rural life.|
JEE Main Answer Key
CBSE will host the official answer keys for both papers of JEE Main along with individual candidate’s OMR Sheets for a short period of time on the official website. Candidates can check their answers against the answer key and draw an estimate of their score in the exam.
CBSE also welcomes challenges to the answer key from candidates, if any, supported by valid evidence. Candidates can submit their challenges online along with a fee of INR 1000 per question, payable online via a debit/credit card. Please note that if the challenge is found acceptable by CBSE, the challenge fee will be refunded. The decision of CBSE/JAB on the challenges will be final and no further communication will be entertained in this regard. The final result of JEE Main will be based on the revised Answer Key.
JEE Main Result
The result for JEE Main 2019 will be released on the official website. Result for paper 1 and 2 will be announced separately along with All India Ranking (AIR) and Category Ranking. The scorecard will have to be downloaded from the website. Please note that the scorecards will not be dispatched to candidates by CBSE. Admissions to the NITs, IIITs, CFTIs etc. will be based on the AIR. The JEE Main 2019 Score Card will carry the following details:
- JEE Main All India Rank
- Category Rank
- Total Score in JEE Main
- Sectional Scores secured in each paper
- Qualifying Status for JEE Advanced
JEE Main Cut off
The JEE Main Joint Admission Board (JAB) will release the cut-off scores required to seek admission into B.E./B. Tech and B. Arch/B. Plan programs through the Central Seat Allocation Board (CSAB).
All participating institutes that do not use the centralized Seat Allocation Process of JAB will prepare their own merit list based on JEE Main 2019 performance and other parameters as decided by them.
JEE Main Counseling
The centralized counseling process for JEE Main 2019 is expected to commence in June. Seat Allocation in the institutes participating the centralized process will be based on AIR and candidate preferences for branch and institute.
JEE Main Counseling is done at three levels:
- Joint Seat Allocation Authority: IITs, IIITs, NITs and other Central Government Funded Technical Institutes.
- Central Seat Allocation Board-NEUT: AICTE approved institutes in NE States & UTs.
- CSAB-SFTI: Self-funded Technical Institutes.
Document verification for checking the eligibility of candidates is a crucial step of JEE Main Counseling.