NTA will release Admit Card on December 6, 2020 for January session and March 16, 2020 for April session on the official website.Candidates are advised to save their JEE Main Admit Card for future reference. Check Steps to download Admit Card
JEE Main 2020 Exam has been scheduled from January 6 – 11, 2020 for January session and April 3 – 9, 2020 for April session.
Latest: JEE Main official website has shifted from jeemain.nic.in to jeemain.nta.nic.in.
Candidates born on or after October 1, 1995 are eligible for JEE Main 2020. Check JEE Main Eligibility
NTA will release the answer keys for both sessions before declaring the result. Candidates will be given an option to send challenges with a processing fees of INR 1000 per question which is refunded only if NTA accepts the representation to be correct. Download JEE Main Answer Keys
Top 2,45,000 JEE Main 2020 qualifiers will be allowed to appear for JEE Advanced 2020. NTA will announce JEE Main 2020 Results on their official website on January 31, 2020 for January session and April 30, 2020 for April session. Check JEE Main Results
The counselling for JEE Main 2020 will begin in the month of March for January session and June for April session. Read about JEE Main Counselling
A total of 958,619 students registered for the second phase of JEE Main 2019 held from April 7 – 12. Overall April session papers were considered to be easier than January session papers. Physics and Mathematics sections were tough while Chemistry remained the easiest having direct questions from NCERT books. Check Detailed Paper Analysis
JEE Main 2020 Official Exam Dates
Candidates aspiring B.E/B.Tech can apply for JEE Main Paper 1 while Paper 2 of JEE Main should be applied by B.Arch/B.Planning candidates. In JEE Main 2019 January session, 9,29,198 students applied for paper I and 1,45,386 applications received for paper II. Check Exam Pattern
NTA allots the JEE Main Exam Center according to the 4 preferences provided for test centers. There will be no other choice that you will have for JEE Main 2020. The exam will be conducted in 2 shifts for JEE Main 2020 paper 1- first, 9:30-12:30 pm and the second, 2:30-5:30 pm. Paper 2 of JEE Main 2020 will be held only in one shift. NTA has provided ‘Centre Locator’ facility on their official website to indicate the shortest and fastest route for students.
NTA will provide JEE Main Mock tests where students can practice for the main exam.
JEE Main syllabus is now available on the official website. Click here to download
JEE Main II Information Brochure Published on official site. Click here to download
Online Video Lectures by IIT Professors on official site of NTA. Read Complete Story Here
On the basis of JEE Main Score, around 25220 Engineering and Architecture seats are filled every year. JEE Main is a 3-hours duration exam consisting of Objective Type and Drawing Aptitude (only for Paper 2) questions. Objective type questions are based on class 11 and 12th science syllabus.
Candidates can check NTA official notice for dates and shift allotment of JEE Main 2020 Candidates. Read here
The process of registering for JEE Main, issuance of Admit Card to publishing of Results will be done in online mode through the official website jeemain.nta.nic.in. Please note that applicants’ Aadhaar Card is mandatory for JEE Main Registration. Read on to know more about JEE Main 2020.
Changes Introduced in JEE Main
- JEE Main 2020 will be conducted in 8 sittings from January 06 to January 11 and April 03 to April 09.
- No pen and paper-based test option will be provided to the aspirants. Exam has been completely shifted to online mode except drawing exam in Paper 2
- 3000 new training centers will be set up for training of candidates.
- No new changes has been announced in the exam pattern, setting of question paper, etc.
- No need to verify class 12th roll number.
- Applicants can book their exam slot.
- Increase in number of exam centers to 258 which include 248 exam centers in India and 10 centers in abroad countries.
- Diabetic students will be allowed to take sugar tablets, fruits and transparent water bottle at the exam center.
— Prakash Javadekar (@PrakashJavdekar) July 7, 2018
JEE Main 2020 Highlights
Latest News Updates
|Name of Examination||JEE Main 2020|
|Conducting Body||NTA (National Testing Agency)|
|Mode of Application||Online|
|Exam Level||National Level UG Entrance|
|Mode of Exam||Online|
|Number of Papers||2 (Paper 1 for B.E./B. Tech & Paper 2 for B. Arch/B. Planning)|
|JEE Main Helpdesk||7042399520, 7042399521, 7042399525, 7042399526|
JEE Main 2020: Exam Dates
JEE Main 2020 exam dates has been announced by NTA in due course through the official notification. Calendar of Events for the exam is tabulated below.
|Release of JEE Main Notification||August 21, 2019||August 21, 2019|
|Commencement of JEE Main Application Form||September 02, 2019||February 07, 2020|
|Closure of Application Process||September 30, 2019||March 07, 2020|
|Availability of Admit Card||December 6, 2019||March 16, 2020|
|JEE Main 2020 Online Exam||January 06 to January 11, 2020||April 03 to April 09, 2020|
|Declaration of Result||January 31, 2020||April 20, 2020|
JEE Main Eligibility Criteria
Candidates were asked to fulfill four basic JEE Main eligibility conditions to apply for JEE Main 2020, the same is tabulated below:
|Criteria||Eligibility for Appearing in JEE Main||Relaxation (for reserved categories)|
|Age limit||Must have been born on or after Oct 1, 1995||5 Years relaxation for SC, ST and PwD|
|Minimum qualifying marks (for admission in NITs, IIITs, IITs and CFTIs)||75% marks in aggregate||65% marks in aggregate|
|Year of passing class 12||Passing after 2016 or appearing in 2019||–|
|Total number of attempts||3||–|
- The exam organising body allows candidates with 40% or more disability to avail the assistance of a Scribe or a Reader.
- Candidates applying for B.E./B. Tech should have studied Physics and Mathematics along with Chemistry/Biology/Biotechnology while candidates applying for B.Arch/B.Planning should have studied Mathematics in their +2 level.
- There is no specification on pass percentage in the qualifying examination to write JEE Main. However, for admissions into the IITs, NITs, IIITs and CFTIs, candidates need to have an aggregate score of 75% in the qualifying exam (65% for SC/ST/PwD categories)
JEE Main Reservation Criteria
The exam conducting body assigns All India Rankings to candidates as per their respective categories following the Government of India directives regarding reservation as tabulated below:
|Other Backward Caste (Non-Creamy Layer)||27|
|Scheduled Castes (SC)||15|
|Scheduled Tribes (ST)||7.5|
|Persons with Disability (PwD)||3|
The benefit of reservation for admission into the NITs/IIITs and CFTIs are extended in accordance with central category list published by the GOI. State Engineering colleges accepting JEE Main scores abide by the state reservation rules.
JEE Main Application Form
- JEE Main 2020 Application form can be completed in the online mode and can be accessed at the official website.
- Candidates except for candidates to J&K, Assam, and Meghalaya, should register with their Aadhaar Number (Aadhaar Enrollment Number for candidates whose Aadhaar Card has been applied for but not issued yet).
- J&K, Assam and Meghalaya candidates can register with a valid passport number, bank a/c number, ration card number or any such ID proof issued by the government.
- Also, candidates must have a valid personal email ID and an active mobile number for JEE Main Registration. Candidates are advised to retain their registered email ID and mobile phone number till the JEE Main and subsequent processes till admission are over as important information may be shared via email or SMS by the exam-conducting authority.
The application process contains 7 steps to complete the JEE Main Application Form. They are:
- Registration through Aadhaar Number
- Fill Online Application Form
- Verification of Mobile Number and Email ID
- Uploading of Images
- Fee Payment
- Slot Booking (only for Computer Based Test)
- Printing of Acknowledgement Page
- Candidates must ensure that all details entered in the JEE Main Application Form are correct as there is a very limited scope to make any correction/modification in the form after submission. There is usually a short window for online correction or modification with a valid reason for specific sections in the form. Please note that no change will be accepted through fax/application including e-mail etc.
- The application fee for JEE Main can be paid online (debit/credit cards) as well as offline (e-challan deposited with the requisite amount of cash at Syndicate/Canara/ICICI Bank). Additional bank charges as applicable are to be borne by the candidates.
- Please note that in case the payment process is not complete, the acknowledgment slip will not be generated upon submission of JEE Main Application Form. The fee payment status can be checked on the official website.
- Candidates are required to upload scanned copies of their photograph, specimen signature and specimen signature of either parents/guardian as per the specifications given below:
|Image particulars||File Type||File Size|
|Candidate’s Recent Photograph (photograph should be clear with candidate’s name and date of clicking the photograph printed on it)||.jpeg||4 KB – 40 KB|
|Candidate’s Specimen Signature||.jpeg||1 KB – 30 KB|
|Either parents’/guardian’s specimen signature||.jpeg||1 KB – 30 KB|
- Please note that candidates are not required to send the hard copy of JEE Main Application to the NTA. However, candidates are advised to obtain a print of the application acknowledgement page for future reference.
JEE Main Application Fee
Latest News Updates
JEE Main Application Fee varies for different categories as well as the choice of exam center and mode of exam. The fee details for JEE Main 2020 with all the variations are tabulated below:
|Paper||Offline Mode||Online Mode|
|For Exam Centers in India|
|Paper 1||INR 1000||INR 500||INR 500||INR 250|
|Paper 2||INR 1000||INR 500||–||–|
|Both Papers||INR 1800||INR 900||INR 1300||INR 650|
|For Exam Centers Abroad|
|Paper 1||INR 2500||INR 1250||INR 2500||INR 1250|
|Paper 2||INR 2500||INR 1250||–||–|
|Both Papers||INR 3800||INR 1900||INR 3800||INR 1900|
Please note that application fees once paid is not refunded under any circumstances.
JEE Main Application Form Correction
The organising authority provides a one-time facility for making corrections in certain fields of JEE Main Application Form. An additional amount of fee may be charged for making corrections. The correction window is made available after the last date of submitting application form.
The corrections made after the end date are not considered. The form correction facility is just like filling the registration form again for JEE Main 2020. Every detail can be changed/edited except for the mode of examination.
JEE Main Admit Card
JEE Main Admit Card will be released on the official website jeemain.nta.nic.in on December 6, 2019 for January session and March 16, 2020 for April session for all the candidates who have submitted the online application form complete in all respect within the deadline. The admit card has to be downloaded and printed from the website for writing the exam.
Candidates are advised to check the Admit Card meticulously for the details such as Name, Paper, Date of Birth, Gender, Test Centre Name, City, State Code of Eligibility and Category. Any discrepancy should be immediately reported to JEE Main Secretariat/NTA for necessary action.
JEE Main Exam Center
- JEE Main 2020 will be conducted in about 258 test locations including 10 cities outside India. All the locations had the facility of CBT while about 110+ locations are expected to have the facility of PBT. The comprehensive list of test locations and their codes are available with the official information brochure.
- At the time of JEE Main application, candidates must select 4 exam locations in case of PBT and 1 location in case of CBT. If a candidate is opting for Paper 1 in a location where only CBT is conducted but wants to appear for Paper 2 as well, they have to select 4 other exam locations with PBT facility.
- Please note that if the number of candidates for CBT is less than 50 in a city on any scheduled date, then all such candidates will be allotted the last day of the CBT in the same location.
- The organising body makes all efforts to allot test locations as per candidates’ preferences; however, there can be exceptions due to unavoidable circumstances. Any request for change of test location will not be entertained; however, the decision of the Executive Director (JAB) will be final in this context.
Check JEE Main Exam Centers
JEE Main Exam Pattern
The highlights of JEE Main Exam Pattern are tabulated here:
|Specifications||Paper 1||Paper 2|
|Course||B.E./B. Tech||B. Arch/B. Planning|
|Question Type||Objective, multiple-choice questions with four options from which candidate has to choose one correct answer. The drawing questions in Paper 2 will be subjective in nature.|
|Medium of Exam||Candidates in Gujarat, Dadra, Nagar Haveli, and Daman & Diu: English, Hindi, Gujarati.|
|Rest of India: English, Hindi|
|Mode of Exam||Online and Offline||Offline|
|Sections||Physics, Chemistry & Mathematics||Aptitude Test, Mathematics and Drawing Test|
|Questions in Each Section||30||50 – Aptitude test | 30 – Mathematics | 2 – Drawing Test|
|Duration||3 hours||3 hours|
|Marking Scheme||+4 for correct answer | -1 for incorrect answer||+4 for correct answer | -1 for an incorrect answer
35 marks for each question in Drawing Section
JEE Main 2020 Mock Test
MHRD and NTA have made several efforts to make the preparation smoother for engineering aspirants. The official mock test for JEE Main 2020 and UGC NET will be live on the official site, nta.ac.in.
Moreover, more than 3000 TPCs (Test Practice Centers) will be allocated across the country for students lacking access to computers for practicing mock test. Candidates can register for TPCs on the official site and centers will be allocated for specific batches. Check Complete Details About JEE Main Mock Test
NTA will also upload video lectures from prominent faculty as part of IIT-PAL video series. These video lectures can also be accessed from the Youtube and on mobile devices using ‘Swayam’ App. The lectures are currently added for Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics and Biology.
In a major shift from the traditional mode of conducting entrance exams, the new test conducting authority NTA decided to introduce CBT (Computer Based Test) in all the major national level entrance exams including JEE Main.
While CBT was earlier introduced a few years back in JEE Main, students also had the option of Pen and Paper Based test. However, offline mode was scrapped from this year as it created confusion among all the aspirants. NTA however has emphasised that the online mode will bring more transparency and with the advent of AI and Machine Learning, this will provide a fairer ground for students’ assessment.
JEE Main Syllabus
JEE Main Syllabus for Paper 1 covers the syllabus of Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics of CBSE class 11 and 12. While the questions in Paper 2 are largely based on Aptitude and Drawing along with some class 12 level Mathematics. Check JEE Main 2019 Syllabus
The important topics as specified for JEE Main is tabulated below:
|Physics||Physics and Measurement; Kinematics; Laws of Motion; Work, Energy and Power; Rotational Motion; Gravitation; Properties of Solids and Liquids; Thermodynamics, Kinetic Theory of Gases; Oscillation of Waves; Electrostatics; Current Electricity; Magnetic Effects of Current & Magnetism; Electromagnetic Induction & Alternating Currents; Electromagnetic Waves; Optics; Dual Nature of Matter & Radiation; Atoms & Nuclei; Electronic Devices; Communication Systems|
|Chemistry||Some Basic Concepts in Chemistry; States of Matter; Atomic Structure; Chemical Bonding and Molecular Structure; Chemical Thermodynamics; Solutions; Equilibrium; Redox Reactions and Electrochemistry; Chemical Kinetics; Surface Chemistry; Classification of Elements & Periodicity in Properties; General Principals & Processes Of Isolation Of Metals; Hydrogen; S-Block Elements; P – Block Elements; D&F Block Elements; Co-ordination Compounds; Environmental Chemistry; Purification & Characterization of Organic Compounds; Basic Principles of Organic Chemistry; Hydrocarbons; Organic Compounds containing Halogens/Oxygen/Nitrogen; Polymers; Biomolecules; Chemistry in Everyday Life; Principles related to Practical Chemistry|
|Mathematics||Sets, Relations and Functions; Complex Numbers and Quadratic Equations; Matrices & Determinants; Permutations & Combinations; Mathematical Induction; Binomial Theorem; Sequences & Series; Limit, Continuity & Differentiability; Integral Calculus; Differential Equations; Coordinate Geometry; Three Dimensional Geometry; Vector Algebra; Statistics & Probability; Trigonometry; Mathematical Reasoning|
|Aptitude Test||Awareness of places, persons, buildings, and materials; Texture and objects related to Architecture and building environment; Visualizing 3D objects from 2D drawings; Visualizing different sides of 3D objects.
Mental Ability (Visual, Numerical and Verbal), Analytical Reasoning, Three dimensional – perception and appreciation of scale and proportion of objects, color, texture, building forms and elements, contrast and harmony.
|Drawing Test||Drawing and designing of geometrical or abstract shapes and patterns in pencil; Transformation of forms both 2 D and 3 D union; Elevations and 3 D views of objects Rotation; Development of surfaces and volumes; Generation of Plan; Creating 2D and 3D compositions using given shapes and forms; Sketching of activities from memory of urban scenes (public space, festivals, market, street scenes, recreational spaces monuments, etc.); landscape (gardens, trees, riverfronts, jungles, plants etc.) and rural life.|
JEE Main Answer Key
NTA hosts the official answer keys for both papers of JEE Main along with individual candidate’s OMR Sheets for a short period of time on the official website. Candidates can check their answers against the answer key and draw an estimate of their score in the exam.
The organising body also welcomes challenges to the answer key from candidates, if any, supported by valid evidence. Candidates can submit their challenges online along with a fee of INR 1000 per question, payable online via a debit/credit card. Please note that if the challenge is found acceptable by the authority, the challenge fee is duly refunded. The decision of NTA/JAB on the challenges is final and no further communication is entertained in this regard. The final result of JEE Main is based on the revised Answer Key.
JEE Main Result
The result for JEE Main 2020 will be released on the official website on January 31, 2020 for January session and April 30, 2020 for April session. Result for paper 1 and 2 will be announced separately along with All India Ranks (AIR) and Category Ranks. The scorecard must be downloaded from the website. Please note that the scorecards are not dispatched to candidates. Admissions to the NITs, IIITs, CFTIs etc. is based on the AIR. The JEE Main 2019 Score Card will carry the following details:
- JEE Main All India Rank
- Category Rank
- Total Score in JEE Main
- Sectional Scores secured in each paper
- Qualifying Status for JEE Advanced
JEE Main Cut off
The JEE Main Joint Admission Board (JAB) will release the JEE Main cut-off scores required to seek admission into B.E./B. Tech and B. Arch/B. Planning programs through the Central Seat Allocation Board (CSAB).
All participating institutes that does not use the centralized Seat Allocation Process of JAB prepared their own merit list based on JEE Main 2020 performance and other parameters as decided by them.
JEE Main Cut off (2019) is indicated in the table provided below:
|OBC – NCL||74.21|
JEE Main Counselling
The centralized counselling process for JEE Main 2020 will begin from March, 2020 for January session and June, 2020 for April session. Seat Allocation in the institutes participating in the centralized process will be based on AIR and candidate preferences for branch and institute.
JEE Main Counselling will be done at three levels in online mode:
- Joint Seat Allocation Authority: IITs, IIITs, NITs and other Central Government Funded Technical Institutes.
- Central Seat Allocation Board-NEUT: AICTE approved institutes in NE States & UTs.
- CSAB-SFTI: Self-funded Technical Institutes.
Document verification for checking the eligibility of candidates is a crucial step in JEE Main Counselling. Based on choice preference, AIR, Category Rank and Availability of Seats, provisional allotment of seat is announced. Then, candidates have to download the provisional seat allotment letter and pay the requisite amount of fees for the seat acceptance. Once the seat gets confirmed by the reporting center, report has to be sent to the allotted college for the admission process.
JEE (Main) Unit Central Board of Secondary Education
Plot No. 149, Block – H,
Sector – 63, Noida – 201309
Distt- Gautam Budh Nagar (U.P.)
Helpline No.: 7042399520, 7042399521, 7042399525, 7042399526